Start by marking “Devour (Death & Decay #1)” as Want to Read:
Devour (Death & Decay #1)

Devour

(Death & Decay #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B01IOPZ156.

An infection is spreading. People are dying, but they don’t stay dead.

St. Louis is falling to pieces. In the midst of rioting, a dangerous new disease has sprung up pushing an already dire situation over the edge. Those who are infected suddenly become extremely aggressive, attacking and even eating those around them.

A
Published April 2017 by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Devour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devour

Netanella
First lines: The branches of the trees reached for Olivia like sharpened claws. Each one tore at her matted, coffee-colored hair and the protective layers of clothing that covered her body. They scratched at her face as she crashed through the forest of silver maple and black oak in an attempt to escape the ferals.

Our story begins 5 days into the zompoc, with our heroine Olivia racing through the woods, her 18 month old daughter Ellie strapped to her back. She's been trying to reach the safe har
Chris Eells
I won Devour on GoodReads in exchange for an unbiased review.

Blalock has done a fairly decent job at putting you in the shoes of a scared young mother going through the first days of the zombie apocalypse. In some ways the novel seems like a how to guide in survival, which is fine, but can make for a bit of dry reading in the beginning. Once our protagonist starts her journey is when the story smooths out for me.

On a side note, I only recently stopped watching Walking Dead and Fear the Walking
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Being trapped in a car has become one of Olivia “Liv” Bennett’s worst nightmares since the day the world came to a halt. Liv and her eighteen month old little girl, Elli was on their way back home from a visit with her husband and Elli’s daddy where he worked for lunch. They had just crossed the bridge when traffic suddenly came to a dead stop. Liv is looking around trying to see what the problem is when she sees a paramedic helping his partner walk across the street when all of a sudden the guy ...more
Christopher  Christiansen
I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked about this book

Character's Internal Journey
I really enjoyed Liv's changes in perspective while she ventures through the shredded landscape of the St. Louis suburbs. I also saw some interesting mechanics within the story. An aspect that makes Devour a great apocalyptic story is the use of an extreme scenario to exaggerate and juxtapose the mundane. Blalock uses these conditions to criticize society's more selfis
Shannie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-obsession
So much zombie action! Loved every second! Kept me on the edge of my bed lol Can't wait to read the next book!!!
Dave
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent zombie book! Looking forward to seeing what happens in book 2.
LisaMarie
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was totally surprised by this book. After reading The Darkest Days, a prequel or side story to this one, I expected one of the stories main characters to be Wyatt ( and said as much in my review of that book). By no means was I disappointed though. R.L. took Olivias character, made her seem present and likable. I couldn't help but hang on to the edge of my seat as she journeyed to the farm, a place of her hope.
The realism, the world building and character development were outstanding.
Fast pace
Mary
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More please

Like the prequel, this book leaves this reader wantIng more. To know what happens next. Love the main characters. Well done. My son will want to read this or at the very least listen. Text to speak. Recommended 15 and up. Little younger if the are used to Zombie books.
Bridgett Brown
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liv is in her car, with her daughter. As she pulls up to a bridge the traffic stops, and the people seem to be attacking each other. Forced to flee from her car with nothing but a diaper bag and her eighteen-month-old daughter, Elli. Liv must trek forty miles on foot across the feral infested suburbs of St. Louis to a safe haven that may not even be safe.
Grab this book!
Teresa Hively
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good, involving read.

I love finding new authors in this genre. I don't consider these "zombie" books, but books of human nature in time of crisis. This author kept me interested from page one. The main character was motivating. The writing was well done and I will definitely be reading more.
Kristie hunter
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Awesome book. I championed on the survivors, and heroine of the book. Liv starts out as all do, in an apocalyptic journey, unsure of her surroundings and strength. You see her come in to herself in a grueling world. I like reading about how a woman can be her own hero. This book has it in spades.
Gail
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good

If you like zombie books, this is the one for you. One woman and her child battle through armies of zombies to reach a safe haven. Great characters and gory story, but very good.
Chrystal Roe
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

This story is about a young woman alone with her baby at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Follow her as she seeks to get them both to safety.
Louise Feagans
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book that I enjoyed reading very much. It is very well written and I loved the characters.
Amy
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!!

A woman and her 2 year old fighting to safety in the zombie apocalypse!!! It was exciting from the beginning and kept you coming back for more! I read it too fast!
Anniek
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Liv is in her car with her 18 month-old daughter Ellie when the world falls apart. Liv heard the disturbing news of riots on the radio and saw it on TV, but never expected it to be this bad. When the infected are closing in fast, Liv has no other choice but to flee from her car with Ellie. She has to find a safe place and she has to find it fast. Her husband went to work, but Liv has no way of getting to him since he works in the city. The city is filled with infected and Liv not only has to mak ...more
Crystal Cunningham
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free copy of this book as part of a zombie book club. I am leaving an honest review.

This book grabbed my attention from the very beginning. It opens five days into a zombie apocalypse, with a mother and her young daughter running from zombies toward what they hope is a safe haven. Then the book goes back to the beginning to tell the story of how they got there.

On a seemingly ordinary day, a mother and her daughter are going about their daily lives when they are suddenly trapped in
Mar
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Devour” by R. L. Blalock is the second of the “Death & Decay” Series, a book you’ll love having in your hands. The “zombie” genre is highly crowded and in consequence, very difficult to find a good book.

This plot tells us about a pure survivor, Liv, who runs through a terrible battle so save her baby’s life. Races, fights, lots of blood with the objective of getting to a “safe” farm. The story starts with a very quick scene which turns into a flashback to locate the reader at the origin of
Karishma
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Devour is one of the books that sparks imagination and reality on the fabulous topic, Zombies. As a teenager I used to be obsessed with zombies and wanted to use the word anywhere and on anyone but I never got the opportunity. Now my curiosity is fulfilled. As the main character Liv drives towards the highway with her baby Elli, panic breaks out as zombies begin to emerge and infect the public. Liv and Elli’s struggle to find Collin, Liv’s sweet love and Elli’s dad, lead them to seek shelter in ...more
Heather
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
R.L. Blalock’s Devour (Death & Decay) (Volume 1) is the third zombie/survivalist book I’ve read this week. Zombie stories tend to hit two of my soft spots: bio-thrillers and gritty horror. One of the fun aspects of reading three in a row is that I get to do the compare-and-contrast thing. For instance, the two earlier this week ended up being a two-star and a three-star, while this is a four-star. One of the biggest differences is the characters. I got tense when the characters were threaten ...more
Becky Stephens
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, horror
I purchased this series after reading The Darkest Days, the short story that accompanies the Death & Decay series. While I was a bit disappointed that I didn't witness Officer Wyatt Ward from the short story connect with Liv and Elli, I very much enjoyed bearing witness to Liv's strength and determination to save herself and her 18-month-old daughter.

This first novel of the series is action-packed from beginning to end with relatable characters, especially Liv. She's a mother and wife doing
Amberly Depue
Holy Moley !!!!

Ok.... this book is absolutely amazing!!! I read a lot of zombie books and this is now one of my favorite series! It is so full of action and suspense that you CANNOT put it down!! I love that Liv kept Elli alive and and the crazy protection Liv takes to make sure she isn’t in harms way. If you can, read Darkest Days first and it kind of gives you a sense of what’s going on but it doesn’t have to be read first. The ending is definitely a cliffhanger but luckily you can jump right
Ann O'Nymos
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, bookvisor
This book was my first of this author but won't be the last. The story about a mom surviving the zombie apocalypse with a 18-month old toddler on her back was very gripping and intense. The writing was detailed, the tension never really left as it was action packed but still the description of the situations and actions meticulous and realistic. The characters are very real with a lot of depth.
The opening chapter of Day 5 was clever as I first thought all is given away but there are things happe
sandy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This book has it all! Zombies,action, one woman with her baby trys to make it somewhere safe on her own. Liv goes through alot of turmoil with the zombie apocalypse breathing down her neck all she wants is to get herself and her baby girl to a safe place.and hopes her husband colin is alive and well and she hopes to met up with him.this book has everything you find yourself rooting for liv and her baby elli.will they make it to a safe place? If your into zombie books this one is awesom
Renee Rearden
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read Zombie books (although I love The Walking Dead television series), but Devour's description and cover captured my attention. I'm glad I bought the book. A solid plot with believable characters complemented the fast-pace the story kept. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Donny Wagner
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zombie Appocalypse

A mother on the run with her children, a virus with no boundaries! An awesome read for any zombie genre lovers! I recommend this story to everyone, you will not be dissappointed!
Rachel Hilgenberg
Read It in One Sitting

Well developed characters and an interesting storyline kept my interest peaked. I really enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read the other books in the series.
Pat Eroh
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very different zombie apocalypse. Lots of new ideas about zombies. Enjoyed this enormously.
Jack
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Very well written, lots of action, and a cliffhanger of an ending. Can't wait to read book two.
Mike Lewis
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best zombie books I've read. Has a strong lead female character that has to journey through the apocalypse with her child in tow. This is a must read new series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Zombies!: R4R For Zombie Outbreak Novel 1 11 Nov 05, 2016 08:08AM
Goodreads Reviewe...: Review Request for Zombie Outbreak Novel 1 3 Nov 05, 2016 08:01AM
Apocalypse Whenever: R4R for New Zombie Outbreak Novel 1 6 Nov 05, 2016 07:12AM

Death & Decay (2 books)
  • Divided (Death & Decay #2)

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
  • The Woman in the Dunes
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage