Start by marking “The Dog Walker's Diary” as Want to Read:
The Dog Walker's Diary

The Dog Walker's Diary

When jaded and overworked Los Angeles literary agent Daniel Ashe hires Annie Doherty, an Irish dog walker, he's simply looking for someone to care for his dogs so he can focus on landing a dream client and save his career. He certainly doesn't expect to come home each night to find Annie has left him a new and fantastical story about the secret lives of his dogs--or that ...more
Published November 7th 2017 by North Star Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Walker's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Walker's Diary

Start your review of The Dog Walker's Diary
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I saw the cover and read the blurb and it looked like it would be interesting to read. What I got was so much more. It is not like any other romance story I have ever read and had me captivated and reading long into the night. I couldnt put it down! For a debut novel, I am impressed and bubbly with excitement to spread the word that this is a book that anyone and EVERYONE should read. Its entertaining, fun, heartbreaking, and a mystery with a few twists that will absolutely delight you.

Daniel
Kathy - Books & Munches
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, read-in-2017
The first thing you should know is that this isn't an ordinary novel. The Dog Walker's Diary isn't just the story of Daniel where he meets Annie and they have some trouble and have to figure out their lives.
It's more than that.
You don't only get Daniel's story or Annie's story. You get the story of a couple of dogs as well. The story of those amazing pets in their alternate universe where they are part of adventures and are heroes in their own right.

Everything is put together in such a
Tori
Review to comeGrade: C+
I adored the premise of a jaded literary agent who needs a best seller suddenly discovers a magical world when his dog walker leaves him explicit stories telling him about his dogs secret lives and the adventures they have. This eclectic and amusing story captivated me for the first half. Daniels idiosyncrasies concerning redheads, witches, and virgins combined with the dog walkers elaborate fantasies that she weaves around Daniels dogs were an utter delight. I enjoyed the
Sharon
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently started a book challenge list that asked me to read a book with the word dog in the title and to my delight when searching the NetGalley list The Dog Walkers Diary came up first.

Daniel Ashe is a literary agent who has never fell in love and is looking for an awesome story to get his career moving. Oh, and unbeknownst to him, he is looking for a dog walker for his dogs Sparks and Eddie.

Annie Doherty is a beguiling, red-headed, Irish dog walker/witty short story writer who is Daniels
roxi Net
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roxiown
It is very rare that I immediately write a review after finishing a book -- in fact it might be the second or third time I do so, which means that The Dog Walker's Diary left such an impression on me that I'm still trying to figure it out.

But I know I loved it. I haven't laughed out loud at a book a while, and I flat out panicked when my table battery DIED in the middle of a climactic chapter.

Daniel, a 40-something literary agent is stuck in life. Unable to fall in love, be successful in his
Dawn Herring
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ms. Donahue has created the most intriguing, unique story I've come across this year. This is not your cookie-cutter romance, folks. In fact, it's not even close. I'm struggling to even find a way to describe this book. It's told from the hero's (Daniel's) point of view, but much of it comes straight from the mind of the heroine (Annie) through stories she has written in the Dog Diary and emails to Daniel. I fell in love with both of these characters and the critters that surrounded them. I ...more
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was interesting. To be honest I have conflicted feelings regarding this novel. They story follows Daniel, a middle aged literary agent with an irrational fear of redheads who happens to hire Annie, a red headed dog walker. Annie leaves Daniel cute short stories and anecdotes regarding his dogs via a notebook called the Dog Diary. Hilarity ensues.

The first half of the book was good. Two people falling in love, cute dog stories, what else do you need? Well, apparently the author felt we
Krysta
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I don't like to write bad reviews so I'm not going to say anything badly about this book. However, it just wasn't my style. I couldn't get into it and I found myself flipping ahead to see if it'd get more interesting, but unfortunately it did not.
Jen Reardon
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at a local author's fair at my public library and was pleasantly surprised to see it's written by my neighbor! That being said, it's one of the best books I've read in a very long time. The story told is so creative and there is a major plot twist that made me gasp.
Kathy
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Dog Walker's Diary is definitely a different sort of book. Literary agent Daniel Ashe hires Annie Doherty, an Irish dog walker, to care for his dogs. Their means of communication is not normal, however. Annie leaves him stories about his dogs secret lives, which go from the sea world to a magic circus to a unique place where the dog characters live, every day. As time goes on, Daniel becomes enthralled with the stories and with Annie herself. Their growing affection for each other develops ...more
Marti
The Dog Walkers Diary by Kathryn Donahue was a great read. I enjoyed the characters, the storyline, and the funny twists and turns. The book was much more entertaining than I expected and there were some twists that were totally unexpected as well.

Annie Doherty is an Irish dog walker. Daniel Ashe hires her to walk his dogs, although he did freak out when he discovered she had red hair. There are various plots afloat: a best selling book that needs publishing, a story telling dog walker, and some
Anita
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I used to read romance novels but haven't for years. I was looking for some light reading to balance all the intense fiction I've been reading lately and the 'dog' part hooked me in. I didn't expect much, figuring it'd be another typical romance novel.

It was not. It was absolutely delightful and entertaining, and I was as hooked as I've ever been by any other book. It does have romance, but it has twists and unexpected story lines and a bit of mystery ... it's just really
Peggy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley, North Star Editions, and Kathryn Donahue for the ARC to review. I started to read this book and I wasn't quite taken with it right off the bat. However, as I kept on reading, I became engrossed in this book and couldn't put it down. It was very entertaining with lots of twists and turns in the plot. Just when you think you have the plot figured out, pow, your hit with a new scenario. I don't want to give anything away, but I was glad to see the way the author finished the ...more
K is for Cathy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I was excited to read this book. The previous reviews were so positive. The book started out interesting. The plot idea was interesting. I then found it didnt move fast enough for me. I grew tired and started skipping parts to finally giving up. Maybe one day I will go back and reread with more interest and find enjoyable to update my review. ...more
Eileen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, kindle
Annie & Daniel
loved this story!
Camila
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book between October 9th and October 11th, 2019 and gave it three stars. There's this distasteful "joke" at the beginning about the main character's behavior being similar to the one of a person with Tourette's, schizophrenia, and Asperger. Oh, and "anorexic" is never an appropriate adjective. Look, if as an author, you can't find enough adjectives to describe someone's behavior that you must make fun of mental illness and neurodiversity, maybe you shouldn't write at all. If that ...more
Maura
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Cute, quirky, and funny this is a quick read that involves stories made up by the dog walker about the dog's adventures while the owner is away. Lighthearted and fuzzy. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Bookgyrl
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
This is such an unusual book and it sucked me in! It is however very difficult to describe the book so I will refrain :-)

Daniel hires a dogwalker (Annie) and every day when he returns at home in the evening, she has written amazing stories in the diary they use to communicate. The stories are about his dogs of course but in a magical way, with pirates, mermaids et all. I totally loved this story with all its turns and twists and (phew!) a HEA! No, it is not your ordinary romance but I highly
Chantelle (aka the Blogmonstar)
This review was originally posted on book reviews with the blogmonstarMy first thought upon seeing this title on Netgalley was - "how cute!" I have to say I wasn't disappointed at all. The Dog Walker's Diary blends the day-to-day adventures of Daniel's dogs together with his own day-to-day life in a surprisingly seamless and entertaining way.

*I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for my review from the publisher via Netgalley.

The Dog Walker's Diary is one of those books people are either
Trish
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was so unique and had a lot of unexpected twists in it. When I first started reading it I thought it was gonna be very boring but I was very wrong about that. It has all kind of emotions in this book. Even some adult parts about abuse and more in it. I can't say much more or else there will be spoilers. Read it!

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me this arc to read and review!
Heather
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the most charming, hilarious, and exciting book in the world. I mean it combines dogs, red heads, and Ireland. One of my favorite parts is the blog, and Leonard the lizard. He tells a middle school kid hell show him cold blooded murderer. There are so many great puns, and descriptions in this book. A description I loved was Daniel describing the state of his insomnia while in prison. He says something about Beetlejuice and Jacob Marley coming through the bars holding hands. I could ...more
Cat
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun read! I don't do romances too often, but this one sounded fun. I loved the letters in the book! I've noticed they've become a trope over the past few years...we love reading folks diaries, journals, and letters, lol! I started to think, early on, that the book agent might well be looking at his star client and a best seller. Fun story!
I received a Kindle Arc of this story from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Sharon
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I give the first 250 pages 4 stars, but the last 100 pages would only get 2, so I'm splitting the difference. the first 250 pages are quirky and fun, but then it just abruptly got weird and I ended up skimming the last 100 pages.
Donna
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Challenge: 2018 Summer Romance Bingo - Dog/cat on cover (20). How to incorporate many stories and a sudden plot derailment without jeopardizing the main story line is mastered by this author. One of the most satisfying endings with multiple closures. Does the romance genre proud.
Gina
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun quirky story. Much more than a romance; definitely more than dogwalking tales. Does start out a bit confusingly but gets better once you understand the basic storyline. Fun!
Nancy George
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quirky and different....my kind of book...and glad to have a book that had me smiling and didn't make me cry. I recommend for anyone who is looking for a fun well written love story.
Gwenyth Love
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I could not finish this book. I could not get past the odd diary entries and the whole weird setup with the redhead.
Ann Slanga
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
super quick read, great for that time between large novels.. has a great plot and good twist you won't see coming .. loved it.
Anne Turner
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, it was funny and I cared about the characters. The dogs were a fun part of the story, but sort of disappeared towards the last part of the book, which was a shame. Great first novel.
Amy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Funny and quirky romance, with some mystery thrown in. If you enjoyed The Rosie Project, you would probably enjoy this also.

• Talk to the Paw
  • I'm Sorry...Love, Your Husband: Honest, Hilarious Stories From a Father of Three Who Made All the Mistakes (and Made up for Them)
  • Regrets Only
  • The Real Michael Swann
  • Rudy's Rules for Travel: Life Lessons from Around the Globe
  • Barbed Wire Heart
  • Gale Force
  • The Philosopher's Flight (The Philosophers Series, #1)
  • Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
  • Too Lucky to Live
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Dirty Dancing at Devil's Leap (Hellcat Canyon, #3)
  • The Military Wife (Heart of a Hero, #1)
I am the youngest of five. My mother was a farm girl with a temper to match her red hair, my father was much older, with a brilliant sense of humor that was a gift in all our lives.

I went to a Catholic women's college, got a graduate degree and had a career as a medical Speech Pathologist. But I have always been compelled to write.

I have been gifted with insomnia, and start my writing day hours