Start by marking “When Dimple Met Rishi” as Want to Read:
When Dimple Met Rishi

When Dimple Met Rishi

(Dimple and Rishi #1)

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  43,879 ratings  ·  9,298 reviews

The arranged marriage YA romcom you didn't know you wanted or needed...

Meet Dimple.

Her main aim in life is to escape her traditional parents, get to university and begin her plan for tech world domination.

Meet Rishi.

He's rich, good-looking and a hopeless romantic. His parents think Dimple is the perfect match for him, but she's got other plans...

Dimp

Published June 1st 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published May 30th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about When Dimple Met Rishi, please sign up.
Weronika Zimna I haven't read the book, but I found your question surprising. I believe that reading is supposed to allow us to get to know the world better, to chan…moreI haven't read the book, but I found your question surprising. I believe that reading is supposed to allow us to get to know the world better, to change our perspectives and, you know, to get out of our comfort zones without really moving. :) Sure, there are books that are difficult to understand if you don't have knowledge in a certain area but I doubt that it could be the case of this YA contemporary. Go ahead, read it when it's released! Perhaps you'll learn something new and interesting while (hopefully) having a lot of fun!(less)
Susan Smalley Salma; Your writing in English and your understanding of other books such as Everything Everything is almost flawless. Congratulations to you on Maste…moreSalma; Your writing in English and your understanding of other books such as Everything Everything is almost flawless. Congratulations to you on Mastering English as a 2nd language. :) (less)

·  43,879 ratings  ·  9,298 reviews

Start your review of When Dimple Met Rishi
Emma Giordano
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you were looking for your perfect cute summer contemporary romance novel . . . look no further.

This book was honestly so wonderful. It was an absolute delight to read. It is adorable. It's laugh out loud hilarious. It'll give you alllllll the feels.

As this novel follows to Indian-American protagonists who's parents have essentially "suggested" a potential arranged marriage between the two, I can't speak for the representation. I will say, I've only seen rave reviews from Indian reviewers and
emi
2.5/5 stars

People: this books is the worst lol don't read it

Me: hahahah it can't be that bad

Me: *is wrong*

Usually, this was where I'd put a quote that I liked from the book, but the writing in this book sucked. But I don't wanna mess up the aesthetic of my reviews. So, yeah, you're stuck with that.

So what even is the point of me being on this website if I don't even listen to the thousands of negative reviews on my feed that are there to guide me towards great books? Every single time someo
emma
Oh my GOD, you guys. I know people have said this book is bad. I know pretty much every source I trust full-on hated this book. But, like, wow.

Do you ever read a book and you’re almost impressed by how bad it is? This one is, like, genuinely written in the hopes of creating more diversity in the young adult genre and look at that. Girl hate!

Wow-ee. Almost enough to make me laugh if I weren’t already crying from hopelessness, depressed with the irrefutable
Tweebs♥️
Jun 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to respond to everyone's comments but I didn't want to come off repetitive so I'll express my gratitude on here.

Thank you to everyone for being so supportive ❤️❤️❤️ I don't have enough words to describe my love for y'all. Bless your souls ❤️❤️❤️

In all seriousness, I never brought this bullshit onto my review to make the drama even bigger but I'm going to take advantage of this experience and help spread awareness.

I admit, this experience was shitty. I never thought writing this review
Sana
EDIT: Please read my homegirl Tweebs review.

So I just checked and realized I've been reading this for 10 days???? It never takes me that long. This book...y'all this book was such a huge disappointment and I promised myself if it were to be one, I would draw bananas all over my exams. I was hoping to finish this cringe before my exams,,, but it's so gross, I legit dragged this one for like 10 days.

Not gonna lie, this was actually somewhat fun and cute towards the beginning. But then this one ki
C.G. Drews
This is definitely one of the cutest books I've ever laid my eyeballs on. It's totally nerdy and full of adorkable socially awkward characters and so. much. delicious. food and features the absolute best romance. AHHHHHH. I've been looking forward to this book for ages, and I'm so glad it was everything I wanted. And I'm about as romantic as a dead slug, so the fact that I was squeeing???! You're going to want to read this, I 500% declare it true.

The best part?! Both Dimple and Rishi are HUGE ne
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
You know what, I was about to force myself to finish this but no. Just no.

DNFing it because I promised myself I would stop torturing myself.

Dimple is pretty rude. Rishi had the biggest insta love feelings ever. App contest? what app contest? This is just Dimple hitting Rishi, them kissing and now there's a talent show?!

It's not a horrible read, it's just pointless for me to finish it.
may ❀
Ohhhh, do I got a rant for this book.

When Dimple Met Rishi was supposed to be the book of my dreams. It was supposed to clear my acne and water my neglected plants. It was supposed to help get into a good university and build my self confidence. . .

But the only thing it actually did was make me silently cry fake tears bc I wasn’t even invested in it enough to spend actual emotions on it

:) :)

Pros
- Indian representation – I’m pretty familiar with the culture bc I’ve grown up around Indians my ent
Merphy Napier
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I expected to love this book as much as everyone else seems to. I was really surprised by how much I didn't like this. I should start by saying that I thought the first half was good. Like, 3.75-4 star material. But I REALLY didn't like the second half. I came prepared though, I expect people to want an explanation for my rating, so I'll give it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to be honest without spoilers, so they will be here. Now, why I didn't like this book:

(view spoiler)
Cristina Monica
When Dimple met Rishi… things did not go well.

See, Dimple and Rishi were promised to each other by their parents. Only, Dimple has no idea she was set up, while Rishi does. As you can guess, that is bound to lead to catastrophic, but also quite entertaining, events.

Obviously, arranged marriages happen all the time, especially to young people of certain cultures, but I still found this story very original.

That is why I read it, actually. It’s not a story that I can imagine happening to a lot of
Warda
[4.5]

Oh my goodness, what a whirlwind. It is one of those books, one of those stories that I'm unable to review properly. It is, without a doubt, one of the best feelings to see yourself, aspects of your personality and culture, within a character. To find hope, inspiration and resilience in them and applying it to your own life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading every single page of this wonderful book!
jessica
okay, this is a cute story and i understand its moderate popularity. i dont know much about arranged matches, so i was eager to see how it was portrayed. i enjoyed how both dimple and rishi are able to organically develop their relationship (even if dimple is a bit too abrasive for me, at times), while at the same time pursuing their own dreams. overall, this is your very standard YA contemporary romance.

that being said, something is definitely missing from this story, but i honestly have no id
Kathryn
Aug 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-realistic-fic, ya
I wanted to love When Dimple Met Rishi. I really did. I mean, romantic realistic fiction with two Indian leads rather than the standard, generic white couple? SIGN ME UP. TAKE MY MONEY. ALL OF IT. But here’s the funny thing about storytelling, to be an exceptional book you actually have to write an original plot.

When Dimple Met Rishi starts with a promising premise: two college-bound, Indian-American teens meet at a summer app design program. Their parents have already arranged their marriage.
Frankie Lovely
2 stars
Find this review and others at A Thousand Lives of Frankie Lovely blog

Well ...
a lot of hype ... and ...
sort of meh at best actually

What I Liked

There were moments in this book that were extremely cute. The concept was adorable. I loved Rishi and Dimple’s first encounter. I actually really enjoyed this book until one specific scene where it all went downhill fast for me (see below). I loved Rishi and I enjoyed Dimple when she was being the Dimple from the beginning of the book (more on thi
Natalie Monroe
UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME: I honestly think this book got published purely due to its diversity factor.

Nothing else about it is appealing. NOTHING. Just the writing is enough to turn people off. It reads like the countless fanfiction you forced yourself through because a show's writers refused to make your ship canon, so now you have to wade through story after story of typos and grammar mistakes for resolution. But those authors aren't paid for their material. I'm the first to admit fanfiction is
Ninoska Goris
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leido-2017
English - Español

I changed my mind. When I started this book the first thing I thought was: another over hyped book and more of the same.

And yes, it is more of the same but from another perspective and very well told. I loved it!

The protagonists Dimple and Rishi are Hindu-Americans, with parents very attached to their culture of origin. They both just finished high school and will study at Stanford and MIT, but first both are going to a summer camp, Dimple to gain more insight from her applicat
Stacee
July 2017: yep. I still love this book with a sickness.

I absolutely loved this cover and after reading the synopsis, couldn't wait to get my greedy hands on it.

I loved Dimple and Rishi. They're both so smart and so alike and different at the same time. She's sort of rebelling against the traditional ways of her family and he's all for it and I was captivated by reading them figure it all out.

The plot for the story was delightful. I loved having them thrown into a situation away from home and be
Jahanzaib Asim
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF AT 30%

1.25/5

OKAY HERE WE GO.
LET US VENTURE INTO A MESSY RANT WHICH IS GONNA BE COMPLETELY IN CAPS LOCK AND IDGAF ABOUT IT TBH
Here's a short fictional story that express what this book was:

The sound of YA fans squealing echoes throughout the world in single monotone scream, indicating the release of the extremely hyped and anticipated When Dimple Met Rishi. Everyone rushes to the bookstore, excitement vividly visible on their faces. They fetch a copy and dash to their reading spots only to
Christy
4 stars!!!

description

This book was simply adorable! So, when I saw the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. I have dimples, and that has been a nick-name of mine for the longest time, so I felt like it was fate I pick this one up! When Dimple Met Rishi was a nice change of pace from the standard YA read. I loved both of the main characters and their story!

Dimple Shah is an Indian-American teenager. She is independent, self-reliant, and knows what she wants in life. What she wants for herself and
Anne
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so fucking cute.

I don't know how the modern American/Indian family functions, but I think this was a very sweet romance that (maybe) gave a peek into the inner working of some of those families. And that, to me (<--white bread) was kinda cool. There is not only so much room for other viewpoints and experiences in romance, but a really need for them, as well. So, this was an amazing breath of fresh air.

description

The blurb tells you the gist of the plot, but it doesn't adequately explain how adorka
✨    jamieson   ✨
“It was his damn fool heart. Ever optimistic, always looking for a sliver of sunshine in a sky clotted with thunderclouds.”

im actually angry people made this book out to be SO HORRIBLE like yall were out here saying dimple was abusive like literally what the fuckgjjdfgd

I have 3 things to say

1: im convinced yall have never met men in your life bc im telling u if a random man came up to me and said hey future wife i would fLIP my shit too

2: rejecting traditional femininity yourself (ie. I don'
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Well, that settles it. Dimple and Rishi are my new OTP.
lila
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my trash can in which i throw the tissues used after a nosebleed
Shelves: trash, dnf
dnf @ 45% or something??

Great! as if all of my anticipated reads weren't disappointing!

I DNFed Flame in the Mist, and The Love Interest was a fucking joke.

this should actually be renamed 'When Disappointment Met Prabhleen'

thank god though that disappointment is not a big ass bitch like Dimple Shah. also thank god I'm not a cheese fest guy like Mr. Rishi Patel. THANK THE GOD. I am going to go to a gurudwara today to pray. Thanks Guru Granth Sahib for not making me into a cringe fest. :) :)

so, li
Ashley Nuckles
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so so so so so so SO cute. And hilarious. And perfect for the beginning of summer. AHH I NEEDED THIS IN MY LIFE.
Maddie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in a book. If it's shocking to you, it's shocking to me too because I thought I was going to love this. It was one of my most anticipated releases and I was so excited to read an #OwnVoices story about teenagers of Indian descent. And for the most part, the elements of Indian culture and passion for your own heritage was my favourite part of the book. It delivered that, but that was the ONLY thing it delivered for me.

So, let's just pros and cons ever
Carol (Bookaria)
What a wonderful, refreshing book.

The novel follows Dimple and Rishi, two young Indian-American high-school graduates that are attending a pre-university course before starting college. The interesting part is that Dimple doesn't know Rishi exists and at the same time Rishi shows up ready to ask Dimple to marry her. Hilarity ensues.

One of the main themes of the novel is how the characters balance their own dreams with their family expectations and traditions. I loved both characters, well, tha
Trina (Between Chapters)
Very, very cute.

I loved the dynamic between the two main characters. They contrasted and complimented each other so well, and Rishi is a too good for this world cinnamon bun. I loved the hate-to-love element and watching both characters question themselves. I loved how relateable the feeling of wanting to break out of family obligations and watching your life plans change was. There's also a good brother relationship here, which is refreshing since we get a lot of emphasis on sisters in YA.

There
Elle (ellexamines)
I don’t understand why y’all have such a deep and everlasting hate for this book but that being said, I have gone from Liking this book to Not Liking this book over the eleven days I have been reading it and am no longer interested in completing. the Drama is just so obviously there and the romance is going down a super obvious trajectory. and this is despite beginning with the most brilliant Meet Cute Idea ever, maybe [i do not understand how any one of you has hated on Dimple for throwing her ...more
Wren (fablesandwren)

If you are needing some quirky girl and a love-struck boy to have a love story that keeps you giggling and grabs your attention (even if it is a little predictable), then you have come to the right book.

This book breaks away from a lot of the stereotypes that are out there for genders. Example, the girl is the one who wants the relationship or the boy is the one who never wants to settle down or the boy is the generous with technology and the girl is the cute artsy one.

I loved this book for wha
Larry H
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I’ve been meaning to read this for a few years; now that I devoured it in one night, I don’t know what took me so long. I loved this book and it totally captured my heart!!

Dimple Shah is ready to break away from her traditional parents, who seem to want nothing more than for her to marry an IIH (Ideal Indian Husband) and give them grandchildren. But seeing as she just graduated high school, she’s definitely not ready for that—if she ever will be. She doesn't believe that her value can
YA Buddy Readers'...: When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon - Restarting July 14th 2020 152 273 Aug 01, 2020 11:06AM
The Afterthoughts...: August Group Book 1 1 Jul 31, 2020 02:28AM

• Clap When You Land
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Love From A to Z
  • Frankly in Love
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Poet X
  • Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)
  • American Panda
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Alex, Approximately
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
Sandhya Menon is the New York Times bestselling author of several novels with lots of kissing, girl power, and swoony boys. Her books have been featured in several cool places, including on The Today Show, Teen Vogue, NPR Book Review, Buzzfeed, and Seventeen. A full-time dog servant and part-time writer, she makes her home in the foggy mountains of Colorado.

Dimple and Rishi (3 books)
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)

Articles featuring this book

The young adult genre continues to lead literature in embracing new voices, championing all types of diversity, and, well, just really...
“This is our life. We get to decide the rules. We get to say what goes and what stays, what matters and what doesn’t.” 92 likes
“I feel like I need to speak out, because if no one speaks out, if no one says, this is me, this is what I believe in, and this is why I'm different, and this is why that's okay, then what's the point? What's the point of living in this beautiful, great melting pot where everyone can dare be anything they want to be?” 50 likes