Start by marking “Splat the Cat” as Want to Read:
Splat the Cat

Splat the Cat (Splat the Cat)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  8,612 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
It's Splat's first day of school and he's worried. What if he doesn't make any new friends? Just in case, Splat decides to bring along his pet mouse, Seymour, and hides him in his lunchbox. The teacher, Mrs. Wimpydimple, introduces Splat to the class and he soon starts learning all his important cat lessons. But when Seymour escapes and the cats do what cats do (they chase ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Festival (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Splat the Cat, please sign up.

Ashley My almost 4 year old loves them, but I can see how older kids would also enjoy. But 1-3 is probably too young since there is a lot of words per page.

Leila
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love Splat so much that I considered buying this book. As I am of limited funds--in fact, my NAME might as well be Limited Funds, except for the inconvenience of changing my initials--I decided to look at it in the library. Repeatedly. If either of my nieces goes in for motherhood, though, the kids are getting this book.

The illustrations are big, bright, brash, and unique in style. Splat is a cat of good upbringing and even better conscience: his best friend is Seymour the mouse, and Splat has
Abduraafi Andrian
Lagi-lagi, menemukan harta karun di tumpukan buku-buku di lemari kantor. Buku bergambar untuk anak-anak. Menarik. Menghibur. Gambarnya lucu. Dan ... kucing!

Ceritanya tentang hari pertama Splat masuk sekolah. Diawali dengan ketakutan tidak mempunyai teman sehingga ogah-ogahan dan membawa tikus peliharaannya bernama Seymour, berakhir dengan Splat yang memiliki banyak teman dan antusias untuk sekolah di hari berikutnya.

"I've got lots of friends. Cats don't chase mice. I'm amazing." - Splat the Cat
Joshua Arnett
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A potentially dangerous text that will end in the death of countless mice because of Mr. Scotton's refusal to accept the terrifying Darwinian truth about this dark world. The scene when all the cats drink milk through bendy straws is really cute though.
Jenna Farhat
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God I would read this book like a 1000 times! It was super hilarious!
The Library Lady
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's cute. It's on the NY Times best seller list. And it's about a cat instead of a stupid farting DOG.
So I'll just go with the flow and enjoy it.
Sonia
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Splat the Cat is a very interesting story for children 3-4 years old. Splat does not want to go to school and uses many excuses to avoid going to school. Failing to convince his Mum, Splat takes his pet mouse, Seymour, in his lunch box. Splat makes lots of friends at school and learns a few about cats, until he is informed that Cats chase mice. Lunch time approaches and out comes Seymour and scares away all the cats.

I found this book very fun and exciting, the pictures are very humorous and exc
Paulius
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Challenge accepted!
Lila
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cerita-anak
Perkenalan pertama dengan Splat
Saya tidak masalah dengan gaya gambar Splat, tapi mungkin agak kurang masuk dengan isi ceritanya. Splat yang takut menghadapi hari pertama sekolahnya berubah menjadi kucing menyebalkan dengan berbagai alasannya. Mulai dari tidak memiliki kaos kaki baru sampai sengaja membuat dirinya tersangkut di tiang listrik. Ini mah bukan mengajarkan hal baik malah seolah membenarkan sikap menyebalkan Splat. Ditambah cerita yang kurang masuk akal dan beberapa hal lain termasuk k
Andreea
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Splat, un motănel comod, descoperă ce interesant e să faci lucruri și chiar să iei inițiativă!

Recomand copiilor obișnuiți să li se facă pe plac - stârnește curiozitatea. :)

Vârste: 3-6 ani.
Yasmin
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's Splat's first day of school and he's worried about making new friends. He makes several attempts to try and get out of going to school, but his mum soon manages to drag him to school! Splat decides to bring along his pet mouse, Seymour, and hides him in his lunchbox. The teacher, Mrs. Wimpydimple, introduces Splat to the class and he soon starts learning all his important cat lessons. But when Seymour escapes and the cats try to chase him, Splat's worried again about keeping all his friends ...more
Tami
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most adorable story and illustrations that I've seen in a LONG time. Rob Scotton's illustrations of the cats, their facial expressions, and positions are laugh out loud! I wish Splat the cat was around when my kids were young. I still collect these stories and when a new one is released, I encourage my kids, even though they're in their teens, to look at it. I watch them and see the smiles on their faces. I read them to my students at school and they also adore the pictures. A ...more
Natalie Heavrin
I love Splat! This is the first of Rob Scotton's "Splat" series and definitely one of the best. Splat the Cat is worried about his first day of school and tries everything he can so that his mother won't make him go. Once at school, he makes new friends and learns valuable lessons. He decided that school wasn't so bad afterall. I think that this is a great book to read on the first day of school so that the kids know that it is okay to be worried but that everything will turn out great. Splat is ...more
Sara Presnell
This book is so cute! The illustrations were hilarious, even to an adult. The story being told in the book was definitely a true story that is applicable to many young children. It was about Splat's first day at school. Splat was nervous about his first day school and tried everything to try to be able to stay home. Once he got to school, though, he saw that it was not that bad, and he actually enjoyed himself. I think this book is definitely a good book for children who are going to be starting ...more
Ealthafer
I read this book at a school bookfair and fell in love with it and had to buy it. Splat is a loving cat who teaches us that we don't have to give in to societys expectations. This book teaches a good lesson in friendship and that just because you're "not supposed" to be friends with someone dosent mean you can't. This book also teaches that if you don't agree with soemthing to stand for what you believe in. The illustrations are also very captivating.
Jackie Douthat
This is another great book for the beginning of the school year. I would use this in my classroom at the beginning of the year or if there's a new student, to share with the class that everyone gets nervous about a new school. This could be used to discuss situations where the students may have been nervous but everything turned out okay. It could also be used to introduce the word nervous and its meaning and could be carried on by reading The Way I Feel by Janan Cain.
Katelyn Tschida
Audience: Boys and girls preschool to 2nd grade

Appeal: colorful, unique, animals (which kids love)

Application: I would use this for rhyming activity with the kids. The title itself has a rhyme and we could do a fun action that the students would have to do every time they saw a rhyming word. I could also work with them on pacing when reading a story. And helping the students relate the situation the cat is in to their own lives

Award List: Coldecott
Emily
The textured and bright illustrations appeared to be leaping at your face as you read. They really added richness to the story. The story itself was good as well. It's about Splat the Cat's first day of school. He is very nervous and tries hard not to go, but once he goes he realizes that school is fun.

I would read this on the first day of school to a group of kindergarteners.
Tc
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humorous, animals
Splat by Rob Scotton is a terrific character! This first book about Splat is about Splat's first day of school, and standing up for your friends even if it means you won't be popular. This book is terrific for first timers to a classroom, and discussions about being kind to others/friends. The series also has highlighted vocabulary that would be perfect for vocabulary building (word walls).
Laura Molinario
Funny Back-to-School story
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Splat was nervous as it was his first day at Cat School. He made every excuse he could think of to not go, but his wise mother got him there anyway, promising to come back for him.
Splat had packed his pet mouse in his lunchbox because he knew he`d need a friend at school, but when the teacher, Mrs. Wimpydimple (don`t you love that name?), taught that cats are amazing and they chase mice, he asked why do they chase mice? "Because that`s what cats do," she answered. Splat was worried.
Lunchtime c
Christina
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ages:   3-7 years
U.S. Grades: Preschool-Second Grade
Lexile® Measure: AD390L

Splat the Cat is an enchanting and comical glimpse at Splat’s (our protagonist) first day of school. Scotton takes us from Splat’s silly excuses about why he cannot attend school to his pet mouse (Seymour) escaping in the classroom.

Children will enjoy the emotionally expressive artwork of Splat, and the details Scotton planted around the story from the fish bone wallpaper to Seymour drinking milk with the class.
Awards/Rec
Wendy
2.5 stars? Belongs on the shelf of get-ready-for-school books, as Splat the cat initially is hesitant to go and comes up with lots of excuses. But when he gets to school, the pet mouse he's brought along causes a bit of a stir and even changes the lessons being learned. Not sure the message here, is it you will have fun at school and maybe even teach your teacher something? Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it.
Madison Ramsey
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This story is about a cat who was nervous for his first day of school. He was so nervous, in fact, that he brought his mouse with him which caused quite a ruckus at lunchtime. He learned that school is fun and cats are amazing. The next day, he woke up excited for school.

This would be the perfect story to read on the first day of school, especially in a Kindergarten classroom. I still get nervous on the first day of classes, so I know this book would help some of my students.
Sarri Tate Gibson
Splat the Cat is nervous about his day at a new school. He tries to think of ways to get out of going. No socks, messy hair, front door/gate won't let him out!

He thinks he will need a friend so he brings his mouse.

Once he gets to school and gets welcomed, things get a little better, until his mouse got out at lunchtime!

At the end of the day though, Splat is a happy cat! He is excited for day 2!
Natalie Hoist
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Splat the Cat" is a fun read for children who may be experiences some anxiety due to their first day of school. It tells the story of a cat who is scared to go to school and ends up really enjoying himself. This is a cute book to read for kindergartners, because they may be struggling with similar situations.
Briley Pace
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Legitness
Romeo Phoenix River Atkiss
Cat!!!!!!!!!
Misty (Red's Romance Review's)
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
My daughter and I love reading about Splat and all his crazy adventures!! Such a fun series!!
Adam Nickson

• Chester (Chester)
  • Bear Feels Scared
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion (Knuffle Bunny, #3)
  • Bats at the Library
  • Big Words for Little People
  • Bad Kitty
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Memoirs of a Goldfish
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now l ...more
More about Rob Scotton...

Splat the Cat (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Love, Splat
  • Merry Christmas, Splat
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Splat the Cat: Where's the Easter Bunny? (Splat the Cat)
  • Back to School, Splat!