Start by marking “December Boys” as Want to Read:
December Boys

December Boys

3.01  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews

When a group of close friends leaves the dusty Australian outback orphanage where they've grown up for a summer holiday together at the coast, their future is full of possibilities.  But the chance that one of them, just one, might gain a realy family to live with calls everything they thought they knew about themselves and each other into question.
Published August 24th 2007 by Catnip (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about December Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about December Boys

Ely Green
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Incredible. Stupendous. One of my rare 5 star treasures. I'd heard about the film ages ago but Daniel Radcliffe does not really float my boat [no, get your dirty minds out of the gutter, pervs] so I skipped it. Now I'm itching to watch it immediately.

I have a thing for books with detailed descriptions and intricate symbolism, and this book hit the nail on the head. Each and every paragraph was so strikingly beautiful that I'd have to stop, look away and take a couple of breaths before c
Megan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read
The plot of The December Boys was not incredibly interesting, but it was very well-written and the characters were great. I'd recommend it!
Duyên  Đỗ
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Một ấn tượng đầy vui vẻ về vùng vịnh Captain’s Folly và năm đứa con trai.
Blanche
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man liest diesem Buch an, dass es in Australien zur Schullektüre gehört... War nicht schlecht, aber auch nicht richtig gut /spannend und anders als bei "Die Asche meiner Mutter" hat mich die kindliche Perspektive nicht so gepackt. Außerdem fehlten mir ein paar zusätzliche Infos über die australische Geschichte, um alles gut einordnen zu können.
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage, australian
Interesting to read this book which is considered quite a classic Australian teenage novel about 5 orphans who spend 2 months on the beach as a holiday from their dreary outback Catholic orphanage. They believe that 1 of them will be adopted at the end of the holiday, so they each try to make sure that they are the chosen one. This leads to competition between the boys and a breakdown in their friendships and support of each other. Some thought provoking issues are raised, but the story is let d ...more
Readingee
I couldn't bring myself to finish it, had trouble with it. I have read many reviews which said that this book was spectacular and special but I just don't feel it. For everyone out there who enjoyed it I am sorry... I got up to about page 77 and I sort of gave up, it just wasn't really my thing. I gave this book several chances and I have to admit I was disappointed. I didn't really see where this was going, however there were some interesting parts - I would hate to butcher the book, so I did e ...more
Paula
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reserved a conclusion about how I felt until I finished this book, and I'm glad I did. Eventually (before I got to the end), I figured out what was going to happen and what that meant for the five boys who are the "December boys" as well as for the rest of the people in the town. A very good novel; some background information about Australia and its role in WWII might be helpful for some people, as that is important to the time period and the setting in which the story takes place.
Nicole
Good premise, but the story was hard to follow. I'm not sure if it was a cultural thing, since Noonan is Australian, but the narrative seemed to skip all over the place. I had a hard time getting through. However, the premise was enough to make me want to see the movie.

B&N published an edition of this book with Daniel Radcliffe on the cover.
Rachel McQuoid
i expected so much more from this, i guess i thought because it was made into a movie it would have been amazing, so i was slightly disappointed. i found it was really difficult to get into. the ending was pretty good though.
Suzanne
Dec 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uggh, this was hard to get through. I know it's supposed to be this amazing coming-of-age story in Australia, but I found myself skimming just to follow the plot line and get through it as quickly as possible so I could start reading The Golden Compass, which I then read in 24 hours.
  • Beth's Story, 1914 (Secrets of the Manor, #1)
  • The Mark of Nimueh (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #3)
  • Valiant (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #2)
  • How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: The Dastard's Guide to Fame and Fortune
  • Tru Confessions
  • The Poisoned Chalice (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #4)
  • The Last Ride
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Father of the Bride: A Comedy in Three Acts