Start by marking “The Protectors' Pledge: Secrets of Oscuros” as Want to Read:
The Protectors' Pledge: Secrets of Oscuros

The Protectors' Pledge: Secrets of Oscuros

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  10 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Award winning title: Third place in the 2016 Burt Award for Caribbean Literature

A fast-paced adventure set deep in a Caribbean forest with a hero who must risk everything to save the forest and his village.

Twelve-year-old JV can't wait to spend his vacation exploring the Oscuros Forest. True, everyone in the village of Alcavere believes the Oscuros Forest is a place to
Published May 4th 2017 by Cas

To ask other readers questions about The Protectors' Pledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Protectors' Pledge

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Protectors' Pledge: Secrets of Oscuros
Michael Cali
I really liked this book. If it werent for Danielle McClean, I would have never known about the tales and bad pirates in the forest. I liked the mystery in this book. I found this book to be a fast read with characters I will always remember. Thank you, Danielle Y.C. McClean and NetGalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Leon
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really like the overall feel/atmosphere of this book. It was a quick read, really entertaining, and really authentic. Anyone would enjoy reading it.
Krystal
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly extraordinary debut novel! This author managed to interweave mystery with Trinidadian myths, while conveying the depth of family ties. No wonder it won the Caribbean Literature award!
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Dec 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
While the synopsis of this book caught my eye I just couldn't get into it and it might have been because I wasn't reading much fantasy or paranormal books at the time I requested this so I DNF'd this at 60%
Vanessa Salazar
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Protectors’ Pledge: Secrets of Oscuros by Danielle Y.C. McClean is the 2016 third place winner of the Burt Award for Caribbean Literature.

JV is an adventurous eleven-year-old boy on vacation from school. He lives with his grandmother who is the quintessential Caribbean granny; she loves to feed everyone who comes to her house. She is also the ‘medicine woman’ in their village.

JV has plans of exploring the forest for the vacation, he is very excited, but his grandmother and other villagers
Div
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Kathleen
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining middle-grade novel with a Caribbean setting and a likable 12-year old hero. The novel combines a realistic feel with mythical heroes and contains a few surprises. A fun read.
Jamie Wickenhagen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
My 12 year old advanced reading daughter really enjoyed this excellent read.
Bertille
Betty
Kendra Epperson
Ronda Sizemore
Jun 20, 2017
Danielle Y. C. McClean is an author, translator, interpreter, and Spanish teacher. She has advanced degrees in French, Spanish, and law, and is passionate about language, mythology, and learning about different cultures. Originally from the Caribbean republic of Trinidad and Tobago, she currently lives in Tennessee with her husband and two children.

The Protectors' Pledge is McClean's debut novel