Start by marking “F-Bomb: Dispatches from the War on Feminism” as Want to Read:
F-Bomb: Dispatches from the War on Feminism

F-Bomb: Dispatches from the War on Feminism

From pop icons to working mothers, women are abandoning feminism in unprecedented numbers. Even scarier, they are also leading the charge to send it to its grave. Across North America, women head anti-feminist PR campaigns; they support anti-feminist politicians; they're behind lawsuits to silence the victims of campus rape; they participated in Gamergate, the violent, vit ...more
Published September 19th 2017 by Goose Lane Editions

To ask other readers questions about F-Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about F-Bomb

Start your review of F-Bomb: Dispatches from the War on Feminism
Maggie Gordon
F-Bomb isn't a bad book. But it's been written before. It was called Backlash by Susan Faludi. Yes, it's older and American, but it was more theoretically sound that F-Bomb. If you need an update on some of the nasty things surrounding the feminist movement, particularly in Canada, this has tonnes of issues. But I think most people in the feminist movement already know this, and the accompanying analysis isn't particularly novel or deep. Now admittedly, perhaps I should be less harsh on this boo ...more
Fiona
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: publisher-gift
Part of me feels like I should pretend to like this more than I do because y'know, sisterhood. But I firmly believe feminism can take it, whatever damage misogynists might have inflicted on it recently.

Ms. McKeon has plenty to say on the subject of anti-feminists and why they are wrong but I don't think her intermittent snarkiness really makes her voice more credible and it does nothing to bring said anti-fems back onside. Basically this book is only interested in preaching to the converted. Whi
beentsy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very, very interesting and covered so many of the points I feel when I hear the word feminist and when I try to formulate how I do or do not fit with that term. Glad I read this, gave a lot of my thoughts a new way of moving through my head and a new voice.
Jade
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lauren McKeon gives us an in-depth view of feminism as it stands today in her book F-Bomb, looking at the emergence of new and popular anti-feminist groups, as well as the reason for women to leave the movement over the past decade. McKeon herself has been a feminist since her teens, a lot like me really, and has been an active and popular feminist writer in Canada for many years now, and adds her own personal account of how she has seen the movement splinter from the inside.

F-Bomb gives us an
Cathryn Wellner
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're feeling discouraged about the state of feminism in Canada, you can take a poison pill or just sit down and read F-Bomb.

Having been in the thick of the feminist movement in the States, I hoped by now no one would take umbrage with the importance or accomplishments of it, that no one would feel a righteous indignation at the thought someone might consider them "feminist".

According to McKeon's examination of anti-feminist sentiment, a whole lot more people than most of us think are in th
Robin Bonne
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, netgalley
Closer to 3.5 stars. The information about the backlash against feminism was well explained and researched. I enjoyed the read, but sometimes there was a contemptuous undertone that I felt undermined the seriousness of the facts presented.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of this ebook.
Kerry Clare
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible, fascinating, essential, and really powerful.
Janeen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. Everyone.
Dawn
So, I think the author was writing this book for women like me. The ones who don't really identify with what they perceive as the feminist movement. And she'd like to point out that we really should, despite the confusion and lack of direction.

The author is one I would define as a hardcore or even radical feminist. Maybe it's not a phrase I should use, maybe the term should just be feminist and there shouldn't be this divisiveness or will to break the movement into smaller sections.
I like her
David Wineberg
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Women undoing the progress of women

I seem to be adding a new shelf: books that look at the unimaginable side. I was fascinated by What Slaveholders Think, and flabbergasted by Women Against Abortion. Now comes F-Bomb, in which Lauren McKeon ventures to interview and understand women vociferously against feminism. It gets ugly, but she handles it with aplomb. And thankfully, humor.

McKeon says the dictionary definition of feminist is “someone who believes in the social, political and economic equa
Meghan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok

(One of those reviews where I spend more time ruminating on my own mind than on the book in question.)

If the goal of F-Bomb was self-reflection, than hurrah! It succeeded. Because I sit here and think and think and think and think about what I want to say about this book, about what didn't really work for me with it, and then I end up thinking about my twenties and then that day in my thirties where I just decided to take all the liberal feminism blogs off my RSS feed (yes, this was a while ago)

Becky
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Confronting privilege means we need to open doors and cede platforms in thoughtful and consistent ways. We need to keep doing it, keep listening, keep stumbling, and keep trying to do better."

Wow, this book! The writing was great, but the topics varied from interesting to shocking, to I-have-to-put-it-down-rage-inducing. *To be clear - the author, Lauren McKeon, does not share the beliefs in this book, she was reporting on them.*

I knew the whole concept of Men's Rights Activists (MRAs) existed
Maria Anneliese
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, nonfiction, netgalley
I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did. I made it through most of the book (about 85%) but after pushing through this for months I'm not really compelled to go on. I read nonfiction to learn, and I picked this up hoping to learn more about the anti-feminist movement and why so many women want to use the freedoms that feminism has earned them in order to roll those freedoms back. But the analysis is mostly superficial and the few times that the author does engage with one of these ...more
Kevin
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canlit
What an amazing, accessible, unpretentious book that details the gritty, unglamorous movement that we know as feminism today. Lauren McKeon writes in an approachable voice and is so incredibly current in her book. She somehow takes a gigantic topic and breaks it down into ten segments that give the reader a better (not full, of course) understanding of what feminism is, where it came from, and the obstacles it faces TODAY. I would recommend F-Bomb: Dispatches from the War on Feminism to anyone l ...more
Michelle
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book very interesting. This is my first time reading about feminism, and I found it enlightening and showed me that a concept I thought simple was much more complex. I have always thought my self a feminist because to me feminism means equality and choice for everyone. I don’t understand the anger associated with feminists, because we want equality it doesn’t mean I’m taking away others equality. I recommend this book for anyone looking for a simple introduction to the world of femi ...more
Diana
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, probably. I LOVED this book. It was full of so many important messages, and I commend the author for exploring the anti-feminist perspectives in order to see how feminism itself can improve, particularly with regard to intersectionality. As a Canadian woman/feminist I definitely appreciated the Canadian perspective. I also thought, with her descriptions of wide-leg jeans, spiky hair, and riot grrrl music appreciation, that the author and I probably would have been very good friends ha ...more
Brittney
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved McKeon's approach to this book. She takes the reader through the evolution of feminism in order to understand what is going well with the movement, what needs to change, where we are failing, and to understand the views of post- and anti-feminists. She tackles some important and uncomfortable questions, and conveys the importance of intersectionality for feminism's future. One of the most important things I took away from her writing is that there is no one definition of feminism; it mea ...more
Joanna
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a big, messy, dispiriting topic, and McKeon does a good job with it, up to a point. What she does well is marshal her facts: the research is conscientious, and her material is clearly and logically presented. Where she falls down is in the rebuttal; where she could be providing research and statistics that counter the anti-feminists, she resorts to glibness and the language of memes. I know that there are no monolithic answers to the problems bedeviling feminism, but the lack of any clea ...more
Beth
F-Bomb is pretty eye-opening, from trying to understand the women who loudly and proudly claim they are anti-feminist, to hearing what high school girls today think about feminism and the issues girls and women are still grappling with. It made me sad, angry, hopeful and proud all at the same time. I also really liked the emphasis that McKeon put on making modern feminism intersectional!

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review
feux d'artifice
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
a really easy read, I read this in the span of two days lol. a journalistic approach to finding out the perspectives and ideologies of anti-feminist advocates. engaging, enraging and engrossing, wld recommend.

one thing I particularly enjoyed was the Canadian references. so often the books I read are pretty US-centric so this was a plus for me.

a side thought from me: so as I read this, in my bag I was also carrying my book non violent communication, and I wonder how effective this form of commu
Lucile Barker
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
6. F-bomb: Dispatches from the war on feminism by Lauren McKeon
McKeon looks at the new generation of young women who feel that the fight for equal rights is over and don’t believe it is under attack. As an early feminist, and the daughter and grad-daughter of feminists, I find it aggravating to hear young woman (and some young men) say that the fight is over. Is no one reading the news? McKeon presents arguments for continuing the fight for equality, reproductive laws, and consent information. H
Lecy
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Basically, a study of women undoing all the progress that women have made so far. This book is a journalistic review of anti-feminism. Some of the stories McKeon shares are shocking and it made me angry to read this. She did a great job of researching, interviewing and reporting. Her writing is fast-paced and clear and enjoyable to read, but it was depressing to read because of the subject matter. *ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
Sean
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Honestly, I struggled a bit with this book.
Overall, I’m onboard with most of what she lays out.
She also gave me a few new facts/viewpoints I hadn’t heard, and I’m always happy with a book that can provide that.
But as the book progressed, I kept getting pulled out by the feeling that the author has absolutely zero interest in hearing opinions/stances contrary to her own; that such voices are breezily dismissed and/or mocked.
Tina
A decent overview of some current issues feminism is facing. Discusses anti-feminist, MRA movements, gamergate, and pro-lifers.

There really wasn’t much here that I wasn’t at least peripherally aware of already. I didn’t find any amazing new insights.

(I received a free copy of this book through a giveaway on goodreads)
David Smith
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a good book and an important book. The investigation into the anti-feminist movement is fascinating and sometimes chilling. It made me feel that Margaret Atwood's Handmaids Tale might be closer to reality than I previously believed. I found parts it unnecessary. For example to much energy was spent proving that women are oppressed. Sometimes the tone is condescending.
Madison
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a tough slog to get through in parts - and I wonder how effective it is to give anti-feminists and MRAs even this much of a platform - but the chapters were well constructed and there were just as many Canadian examples as American ones, which was refreshing.
Kulwarn Parmar
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend

As a man in late 60's who raised a feminist daughter, I learnt a lot about anti-feminists, their arguments, their leaders, their tactics. I highly recommend it even if you're a feminist, man or woman.
Andrew Reeves
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read! Engaging and valuable for anyone seeking greater clarity on both new feminism and the growing anti-feminism movement in North America.
Sherry
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. Will recommend to my friends. Gives a lot of helpful insight and is really informative while still being really digestible.
Elorra
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting view on feminism and (anti) feminism, especially using Canadian examples!

• Shrewed: A Wry and Closely Observed Look at the Lives of Women and Girls
  • I'm Afraid of Men
  • Nobody's Victim: Fighting Psychos, Stalkers, Pervs, and Trolls
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters
  • The Seven Necessary Sins for Women and Girls
  • Formation: A Woman's Memoir of Stepping Out of Line
  • Full Frontal Feminism
  • Absolute Carnage
  • Shoot Like a Girl: One Woman's Dramatic Fight in Afghanistan and on the Home Front
  • Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language
  • Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures
  • The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge
  • Drugs for Life: How Pharmaceutical Companies Define Our Health
  • A Marker to Measure Drift
  • 419
  • Fighting for Space: How a Group of Drug Users Transformed One City’s Struggle with Addiction
  • Low Town (Low Town, #1)
  • Sovereign (Nemesis, #2)
Lauren McKeon is an award-winning editor and writer. She is the former editor of This Magazine and a contributing editor at Toronto Life. Her essays have appeared in Hazlitt, Flare, the Walrus, and Reader's Digest, and she has spoken on gender issues at conferences and seminars and on radio and television broadcasts. She teaches at Humber College.

News & Interviews