Start by marking “The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)

The King (Masterpiece Duet #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  2,848 Ratings  ·  436 Reviews
The highest stakes...

My father gambles every night, falling deeper and deeper into debt. When he hits the bottom, he places a new bet: his daughter. I'm his entry bet to the biggest underground poker game.

Every kind of danger circles the velvet-covered table, but only one man makes me tremble.

A trailer park princess.

The son of a criminal king.

We don't belong together, but
Published June 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The King, please sign up.
Carolyn Muller This is a spinoff of The Endgame series. It is the First book in a new series.

Cheryl Harbinson
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skye Warren always writes a good book. Filled with betrayal, forbidden love and mystery. Nothing like getting sold out by your own father and given to the devil himself. Penny is broken and so is Damon. Can they somehow make it through the darkness and into the light together as a couple? Probably not until Penny is of legal age, until then, I'm sure Damon has enough reasons for going to jail. He doesn't want to add dating a minor to his list of crimes.

Looking forward to The Queen to find out i
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
Lost in a world that is brutal and uncaring Damon would rather walk away from his family than suffer the daily torment at the hands of his warped father. Yet the delightful presence of a sassy young girl that strikes an unlikely friendship with makes him re evaluate the value of his freedom. Years later fate once again brings them together yet Damon is no longer the boy of her fond reminisces. Caught in a tangled web of addiction, debt and lies can Penny save her father from himself or will she ...more
C Dorsey
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skye Warren is one of those authors that you know will absolutely blow your mind. Every single one of her books has so many twists and turns, you never know where you will wind up. When I found out The King - a story featuring Damon Scott from The End Game Series - was coming out, I was beyond excited. I knew we would have intense. I new we would be lead through a labyrinth of intrigue, suspense, angst and sexual tension. Her books remind me of a puzzle, so many aspects and surprises around ever ...more
Gabriela Mira Williams
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a game of chess played with poker cards. "I'm a farmer in this concrete land, money my tool, fear a steady fall of rain. And very soon, I'll pick the sweetest peach for myself." Your heart aches for the young girl that chases an infancy love dream that takes early shape in the dark undercurrent of deep waters that whirl down onto a sharp rock filled bottom, or green old cracked tiled pool floor. But the old saying about a fat lady that needs to sing the end will make you cry at the abrupt c ...more
Tara -Sexy Book Divas
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is raw, gritty, intense and down right painfully broken. The struggles that both Penny and Damon have to go through in their lives are emotional and heartbreaking. The King is everything you wanted it to be with the way Skye brought angst with Penny and Damon.

Penny pulls at your heart in every way you can think off. She's strong yet damaged.

Damon as we all know from The End Game Series is dark, and will haunt you. He is overwhelming air of mystery and complexity that leaves you gues
Candace
I have been dying to get my hands on Damon Scott's story ever since he was introduced in 'The Pawn'. He was just so sexy and dangerous that I couldn't help but be drawn to his character. At the same time, it was clear that he wasn't entirely "bad". He had an underlying protective, even kind, nature that would sometimes shine through. When Penny was later introduced, the obvious tension and history between the two piqued my interests even more. I had to have this book.

Thankfully, I can say that
Erika
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was so hauntingly beautiful, I loved every minute of it. It's dark and damaged in such a gut wrenching, heart pounding way that it grabs you and draws you in and drowns you with each word.
Penny just tears you up she's so strong yet so damaged and Damon is so tortured that you don't know whether to love him, hate him or pity him.
I don't know how Skye Warren does it but she constructs such beautifully dark masterpieces and I can't wait to read the conclusion of Damon and Penny's dark a
Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dark Romance Lovers
5 STARS

So I loved the Endgame Series from this author but I love this first book in the spin-off.

This (duet is Damon and penny's story and what a dark, damaged, beautifully told story this author delivers. Damon is mad I say mad he is damaged and tortured and it is hard to find his light. Penny is young innocent but oh so broken and she is split in half by one of the most insane men ever to be written Johnathon Scott.

Skye Warren is a story teller that is uniquely her. You can be guaranteed an em
Michelle Austin
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

The King by Skye Warren was a great 5 star read.

We start with The Prince, this is where we get a glimpse into Penny’s childhood and meet Damon for the first time. She lost her mother to a drug addiction and her father has another type of addiction,gambling. When he disappears for a few days, Penny ends up meeting Damon, he becomes protective of her and tries to help her. There is a twist that Penny figures out and confronts Damon on. Can he protect her?

We
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
description

My heart is in my throat right now. Wow. My emotions are all over the place. It's been a little while since a book gave me with a visceral response like this.
We were given aspects of Penny and Damon's story in the Endgame Trilogy and it left me intrigued. Both have been through so much at the hands of an evil man. Will they be able to help heal one another or will they be forced apart?
Warren's almost poetic prose is the perfect contrast to the dark and gritty world she creates for her characters
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo e209624b3d751dda97b27204281515_zpssq9gxixb.gif

So if you have been following my reviews, you are well aware that I was obsessed with the Endgame Series and couldn’t wait to get my greedy hands on Damon Scott in The King. The man behind the suit has always been an enigma. He exudes power, dominance and control and yet we know very little of him except that his only enemy is his father. So what layers of Damon will be revealed?

photo ce50d9f2165a38c46a805b5608ce45_zpsztkd8kfj.gif Gabriel Miller is as bold as thunder, rumbling, unmistakable
Renee
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for Stephanie's Book Reports.

The King is the first book in Skye Warren's Masterpiece Duet. Notice duet ....that way your not left with your mouth hanging open when the book ends in a cliff.

Penny's father gambles every night and is so deep in debt he will never get out of it. When he places rock bottom he places a new bet....his daughter Penny. She is his entry into the biggest underground poker game. The players are politicians, m
Diane
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: will-re-read
The King is the first installment (a duet) in the spin-off of Skye Warren's Endgame Series, where we first met Damon Scott and Penny. It mirrors that portion of the story where Jonathan Scott, Damon's father, gets what he deserves, from Penny's POV, and all the events leading up to that and the resulting emotional aftermath. Jonathan Scott was a vile, evil monster...did he get exactly what he wanted all along?

I'm always blown away by the amount of emotion I experience with a Skye Warren story, a
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Underwater Stars!!

I couldn’t gush enough about Skye Warren. If you know me at all, you know I am a HUGE fan. This series is one of my favorites of hers, after the Stripped and Endgame series. Lol. Ok. I love all her books. Leave me alone!! Her writing is able to capture beauty in the darkness. And there is A LOT of darkness in her books. Just gimme all the darkness.

à la Mode St. » fashion

We have something in common now. We’re both monsters. Not the kind you can see on the outside. He wears a secret smile on his
Anne Milne
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I never know quite what I'm going to get when reading a book by Skye but I do know I'm never going to be disappointed.
We start the story finding out how Damon and Penny meet when they were children, it all seems very pure and innocent. Next we move to the future and we meet the devil incarnate Damon's father Johnathan Scott, this is where the authors words are used to devastating effect. Skye very easily paints the multi faceted elements of Johnathan's personality perfectly, we feel the evil pou
Sammy- Just Let Me Read
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Skye Warren delivers a heartbreaking, dark, intensely emotional story with The King. Warren masters dark romance brilliantly and with ease, giving Penny and Damon's story a layered complexity that leaves the reader breathless.

I loved the way the story was laid out, as we are given a taste of a younger Damon and Penny before their main story begins. The way their journey begins only solidifies their bond and their love for each other. These were two characters with vastly different backgrounds w
Bookgasms Book Blog
Shelves: ratula
Whenever I start a Skye Warren book I have to take a deep breath and immerse myself in her genius. I may not understand how exactly the pieces will fall but I have to trust that my mind will be blown. That's exactly how she left me after reading The King. I was elated, moved and HUNGRY for more. I could not get enough of Damon and his Penny and wait with bated breath for The Queen.

If you steadily followed Penny and Damon's story from the beginning we see how they met in the Prince and her captu
Kathleen R.
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: The King
Author: Skye Warren

5 amazing stars

After the Endgame series, Skye Warren created a monster in me - i wanted to know so much more about the players that she introduced us to and i know that she heard the many voices of her readers asking for the same thing. One thing's for certain - Mason's story was nothing like i had imagined but everything i could have hoped for in this illusive man's story.

4.5 sexy dreams

Having had read The Prince beforehand, i now knew how it was that Ma
Gloria Herrera for As You Wish Reviews
What is the highest stake you would be willing to bet? What if you had no money, no assets, nothing of value except your own body? Would you still be willing to play and place your highest bet?

The first part of this book is called The Prince. It introduces us to how Damon and Penny met. It is a heart-racking story of sacrifice and survival. It also shares with us the connection our two characters make that will last a lifetime.

The second part is The King. Jonathan Scott in all his evil, psychoti

POV: First Person, Heroine's PoV
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Scorching Level: 5
HEA: Um...hello. Not telling.

OMG. Damon Scott & Penny. I Repeat, DAMON SCOTT & PENNY. I love, love these two characters so much!!! Skye Warren shocked me with this one! Why??? Because Penny 's story impacted me in such a way that I devoured the book!!!
Trapped after her father keeps giving into his weakness for gambling, she
RentasticReads
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this all the hauntingly beautiful stars because that's what this book deserves. Skye Warren exceptionally continues to blow my mind with every work of hers that I read. The King was compellingly dark and just so heart wrenching. I guess this is why she considered it as YA: there weren't really graphic, gruesome scenes, yet she was still able to conjure such dark and heavy emotions from you. Which makes this that much more amazing in my book. She also left spaces in the story for you t ...more
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
Holy hell, Skye Warren... what have you done to me now?

I can't get enough. I can't. Skye Warren's writing is my drug. Her books offer euphoria, an addiction that, even in its darkness, its ugliness, its ability to pull you into the deep recesses of despair, it feels so lush going down. Warren's writing is nothing short of stunning in The King, her storytelling grows darker, smarter, more beautiful, the crafting more meticulous with each new storyline. Skye Warren demonstrates her genius in the
Alexandra
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 royal stars! Only the Prince with the help of the Knight will destroy the King.

Holy Batman! The King by Skye Warren is a darker bomb. I can’t still savour this book. I couldn’t put it down. I loved every minute of it. This book is the first part of the Masterpiece Duet. The plot is deeply dark and it makes my heart beat faster. The author delivered an intense story that will leave her readers breathless.

The King is a about Damon and Penny’ story, characters introduced on the Endgame Series. It
Roxs Reads
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can you hear that? The sound of my heart breaking; the sound of my insides swirling; the sounds of tears and sobs flowing from my face. The King has broken me. Made me wish for a love that can overcome the pain of childhood tortures. Made me hope that people can overcome their faults for love. Made me long to see that what lies inside is truly good and the façade is just that—a veil erected to protect and hide from the truth.

The King is book one of The Masterpiece series, the story of Damon and
Samantha Ortegon (Books, Wine & Time)
I have found myself lost for words, lost to the darkness that is the writing of Skye Warren. The King which is Damon Scott and Penny's story, it is an intense read that will have you feeling for these two characters. It is a story of torment, betrayal, lies, desire, love, loss, pain and realizing everything you want is forbidden.

Damon Scott is a broken man, he lives with the demons that were brought on by his father and now has made a name for himself. He may be dark and dangerous but he's more
Romance Readers Retreat
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skye Warren is back to breaking our hearts in the most dark and delicious way with The King, the first in a new spinoff duology. These two books are about Damon and Penny who we met in her Endgame series. Having been intrigued by both characters and having adored that series, I was extremely happy to have heard about this new duet and The King did not disappoint.

Penny's father gambles away everything material worth anything and then uses his daughter as his last gambling chip. Penny is young, bu
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)

description

descriptionAll the books in this series are similar so basically the same comments apply. They are always a fantastic representation of the story found within. The author has a theme that continues through both series. So that creates a nice unity. The typography is eye-catching and interesting. That said it loses a star for the author's name being larger than the title.description

descriptionHmmm...I am trying to put my thoughts into words on how I felt about this one. I enjoyed it A LOT there is no doubt about that, but I also
Babel
Dark poetry. One of the aspects I care for most is this author's intricate, subtle sensibility in her writing. Words that touch deep and resonate with so much knowledge of the pain a heart can harbour in silence. I feel every word as if it reflects who I am even though I couldn't dream of expressing it in any way similar to her talent.

This is a very dark story. Penny is a victim of an atrocious crime which contrasts vividly with her tender heart and sharp wit. So young in the face of two evils,
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy
If you were like me and followed this dark world since The Endgame series then you know exactly who Damon Scott is. We even get a brief introduction into Penny except for how she got where we find her in The Castle (My Review).

I was fascinated with Damon and what made him tick from the beginning... even more so when Penny was thrown into the dark world of underground of all things that are just so f*ed up. No one has a perfect life in this series and reading through this book was like picking at
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Although all of her storylines are thoroughly unique, I feel as though every review I write of Skye Warren’s books sounds the same. I chalk it up to the fact that every one of her books has a style that is characteristically hers and utterly amazing. They all have the same undercurrent of dark danger and seamy seductiveness that permeate them. They all have a feel of despair; of clawing out of the depths to survive and conquer, and they never cease to amaze me in their way of pulling me in to a
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Masterpiece Duet - Starting April 2nd, 2018 15 9 Apr 29, 2018 02:06AM

Masterpiece Duet (2 books)
  • The Queen (Masterpiece Duet, #2)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Hard Love (Hacker #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • A Walk to Remember
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hard Limit (Hacker #4)
    $6.99 $0.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“What game do you play?” He smiles. “I play all of them, baby. I want to know which one you like.” 0 likes
“What if I don’t survive?” I whisper. “Oh honey, that’s not the problem. The question you need to worry about is, what if you do?” 0 likes