Start by marking “Well Done, Those Men: Memoirs of a Vietnam Veteran” as Want to Read:
Well Done, Those Men: Memoirs of a Vietnam Veteran

Well Done, Those Men: Memoirs of a Vietnam Veteran

Examining the effects of the Vietnam War on both the author and an entire generation of Australian war veterans, this autobiography tells the story of life before, during, and after Vietnam. From inadequate basic training to the horrors of the war itself, as well as the guilt, anxiety, and alienation felt upon returning home, the account documents the psychology, trauma, a ...more
Published September 28th 2005 by Scribe Publications Pty Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Well Done, Those Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well Done, Those Men

Lindsay Crawford
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Should be read by all students, & all those people who remember the Vietnam war. A must read.
Jay
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an intensely moving account of the horrors of war and the author's eventual acceptance of the profound effect his experiences have had on himself and on others. Written primarily as a way of understanding his feelings and the long-term effects on his personality, Barry exposes the reader to the Vietnam conflict, and confronts us with the results of war for those directly and indirectly involved.
Carol
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book! I never knew what terrible things our Vietnam Vets went through whilst fighting in the jungles of Vietnam. Barry Heard gives a deeply personal account of his life before Vietnam, during his time there and afterwards. It is a book that is humorous in parts and most of all profoundly moving. A real learning curve for me.
Michelle Perry
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very valuable story that explains the journey of an Aussie soldier during Vietnam - and most importantly what happened at home. I feel I learnt so much. Thanks Barry
Leeanne
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the Audio book and couldn't stop. Written by an amazing man that has been to hell and back. The book doesn't focus a lot on the war, but rather the effect it had on him and the population and what Barry Heard endured when he tried to return to civilisation. Thoroughly recommend this book. My husband also enjoyed it and hes not a reader. You'll need tissues.
Kerri-anne Mesner
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For a book written by a PTSD riddle war survivor about their journey, this is a great first insight in what it was like for those that served when they first returned home to the battles with PTSD and a system that struggles to acknowledge the damage done by sending men to war and not providing appropriate care upon their return.
Rhiannon Otto
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant
Ella Callaghan
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a very interesting novel which I hadn’t heard about until meeting the author but the book is a must read for all students or really anyone I definitely recommend.
Becc
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Funny, devestating and heartwarming all at once.
SHR
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Steve Woods
As a Vietnam veteran, this book gave expression to a lot of the confusion and pain that was kind of swirling away right down inside. In some ways it really focussed my attention, not only on what was happening to me but what was happeneing to other vets I had seen in hospitals over a period of many years, coping with the same problems. It shook me into realising that in a very real sense I was beyond the help of those who were trying to helpme and often the places I ended up in just helped cemen ...more
Paul Taylor
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very well written and moving book that highlights the mental battles faced by Vietnam Veterans both during the war and most importantly, after the war when they were treated like criminals and lepers by our politicions and protesters alike. Being the son of a veteran i have heard many "war stories" told to me by my dad, but they were never with the raw emotion described in this novel. It made me instantly love my Dad even more and appreciate the horrors all of our men and women experience duri ...more
Brad Lang
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well done Barry Heard.

Well done for having the courage to put pen to paper, well done for writing with a level of honesty not always seen in autobiographies and well done for making the decision to turn the writing into a book.

Well Done These Men is the story of Barry Heards life. It starts with a quick fire analysis of the first twenty years of his life as he recounts the simply joys of being a farm hand, living out in country Victoria and enjoying a simple life.

The story takes a dramatic tur
Jacob
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's tough to write a review about something like veterans returning from Vietnam, because it's just a rather tough subject to handle, especially if you are one of said veterans. Barry Heard was diagnosed with PTSD after serving Australia in the Vietnam war, and as part of his recovery he felt that if he could write about his past, then he might be able to get over more of his PTSD. Throughout these 280 or so pages you'll see three different versions of Barry. There is the naive and young Barry ...more
Rod
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Barry Heard tells his own story about being a conscript in the Vietnam War. In doing so, and without intending to be a spokesman, he powerfully sketches the experiences of so many Vietnam veterans whose return to civilian life was plagued by the ghosts of bloody, indeed pointless combat. Written as a catharsis in the wake of being diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Heard makes the unspeakable speakable as he recounts and reflects upon his tour of duty and the years of malaise that fo ...more
Anita
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
An important memoir of an Australian's experience in Vietnam. It felt truthful. The early part of the book covers induction into the army, the breaking down of individuality to create a unit. I wonder whether they can still treat people like that in the Australian army these days?
The guilt of survivors of conflicts when others were killed in expressed very clearly, and the breakdown and process of recovery from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is well expressed.
Liz
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is a memoir of an Australian soldier who served during the Vietnam war. I had never read a first-person account of this conflict, and found this to be very educational. I didn't know the extent of negative feeling the Australian public had towards the returned soldiers - who didn't even have a choice in the matter! Such a heartbreaking story.
Natalie
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read on the topic of PTSD & Vietnam, this memoir is story of an ordinary man who went to war and did what he was told. Heard's story isn't an unusual one but his honesty is. Hopefully a valuable resource for sufferers of PTSD both from his generation & our Iraq & Afghanistan servicemen & women.
Michael
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone who wants to understand the experience of going to Vietnam and coming back again to a society that did not understand or welcome those who had been sent. Sometimes funny, sometimes harrowing, always thought-provoking, even for those who are not Aussies.
Ros
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Well Done, Barry Heard! Because of the brave effort of documenting something so intensely private you may have helped many soldiers to consider normal what you and other Vietnam vets thought was abnormal or something lacking in themselves and thus leading you and them to the psych ward or suicide.
Davida
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. The every day Aussie really has no idea of the effect Vietnam had on our soldiers or the aftermath. Perhaps we should not be so quick to follow America into every conflict and train our politicians to keep their noses out of it. So much wasted life!
Grace
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well done, Barry Heard!
Lizzy
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lizzy by: Dad
Absolutely stunning book. Best read in a long time. Should be stocked in every Australian library.
David McLean
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very personal account of Australia's role in Vietnam and the effect of conscription on those not ready for war. Very moving.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a powerful book.
Lesley
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio narrated by the author himself, and found it hard to press pause; so moving and honest.
Prina k
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having met the author, reading the book gave me a deeper understanding of what veterans went through, amazing heartfelt book
Lizistanton
A strong, well-written memoir. Again, the pain of the conflict was shown in these personal histories, as well as the cause of that pain--Washington micromanagement of something it knew nothing about.
Jill