Start by marking “Drive: Act One (Drive, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drive: Act One (Drive, #1)

Drive: Act One

(Drive #1)

DRIVE tells the story of a Second Spanish Empire, a galactic empire, and its looming war with a race called "The Continuum of Makers". Humanity has built its empire using technology stolen from the Makers—and these creatures want it back with an almost religious fervor.

In the brewing war, it's clear that humanity will lose, and lose badly, unless they can find some advanta
Published March 2017 by Small Fish Studios, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Drive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drive

Start your review of Drive: Act One (Drive, #1)
Adam
Drive is a shining star, showing what comics are capable of achieving. It blends flavours of humour, space opera, political intrigue, tragedy, and history into a tapestry of a world that is at once wonderful and awesome. This first volume collects a number of historical documents that provide background information and detail (as well as the occasional laugh) of the complex and intricate universe Kellett has created, a number of short stories contributed by guest authors and artists, each provid ...more
Nick
This material originated as a webcomic, which is where I had been reading it, but I recently sat down to re-read the material in book form, straight through, and came to appreciate the way the story is written. This is hard SF, but combined with outrageous humor, alien races, weird technology, even weirder politics, and a whole bunch of other things.
Basically, an alien spaceship crashed in Spain and changed the course of history, and that seemed like a good thing until the aliens whose ship it w
Anne
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, signed
I fell in love with Dave Kellet's art and storytelling style with his strip Sheldon, a long long time ago when I had the time to read daily comics. I can remember when Drive launched.

But then life happened and I never got back to it.

This was a tactical error on my part.

Drive is a delicious mix of humor and heartbreak, a grandmotherly taking-no-crap human captain, two other humans that are in La Familia (the government) and all kinds of other aliens. The most important of the aliens are a Russ
Raj
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't remember where I found out about this webcomic, but I got drawn in fairly rapidly and when I found out about the Kickstarter to print an omnibus of the first "act", how could I say no?

The story follows the captain and crew of the good ship Machito, on the run from the Empire at the start of the book, as they break their science officer out of a prison planet, along with a new buddy who's lost his memory but could end up being the key to winning the coming war against an alien race called
Anne Beardsley
Drive is everything you ever wanted in a story, all in one beautiful, perfect package.

It's intelligent, human, moving, delightful, serious, silly, deep, richly imagined, easy to read, hard to put down, and impossible to forget.
And I don't even like science fiction.

Somehow the story manages to fold such a well-thought-out world, meaningful pathos and epic adventure into a pleasant, fun-to-read, almost light package.
I'd accuse Dave Kellet of witchcraft, but I don't want him to stop writing.

A
Erica
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the characters and complex world-building of this comic. I'm a fan of the rag-tag crew of misfits in space genre. This story has a strong ensemble cast and plenty of extras for fans to dig into about the backstory and traits of the different aliens species, etc. The short stories by guest artists at the end were fantastic as well. The humor is spot-on, as I'd expect from Kellett. I wish the story could unfold faster!
Marianne
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Drive is a collection of strips from a web comic created by the artist behind the Sheldon web comic, both equally enjoyable! It's a comic about space and secret organizations and fascinating species from far flung corners of the galaxy.
Ben Smith
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for space opera comics. I lived in Peru for 2 years and I have a deep appreciation for Hispanic culture. This comic melded these so perfectly. The worldbuilding is amazing, and it's so easy to get lost in these worlds.
Matt James
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, funny sci-fi. Love everything Kellett is doing with La Familia, the crew of the Machito, and the alien races he introduced along the way.
Ciara Brian
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really need a Nosh plushie.
Daniel

• The Veldt
  • We Can Get Them For You Wholesale
  • Scurry: The Doomed Colony
  • Psychology: A Very Short Introduction
Dave Kellett is the cartoonist of "Sheldon" (http://www.sheldoncomics.com). ...more

Drive (5 books)
  • Drive: A Hero Rises (Drive, #1.1)
  • Drive: The Emperor Calls (Drive, #1.2)
  • Drive: Such a Lovely Species (Drive, #1.3)
  • Drive: Act Two