Start by marking “Makeup & Murder (Beauty Secrets #1)” as Want to Read:
Makeup & Murder (Beauty Secrets #1)

Makeup & Murder

(Beauty Secrets #1)

Beauty consultant Ziva Diaz is a girl boss who doesn’t back down from anyone. When she’s attacked inside a client’s home and wakes to find a dead body, she gives up the safety of selling lipsticks for the dangerous role of detective. The dead man was her top client’s husband, and it turns out he used his money to buy more than happiness. With suspects piling up, a killer ...more
Published April 2nd 2017 by Pink Sapphire Press

To ask other readers questions about Makeup & Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Makeup & Murder

Start your review of Makeup & Murder (Beauty Secrets #1)
Sabine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A fun and quirky murder mystery. A lot of girlie talk about makeup obviously already due to the fact that Ziva is a beauty consultant. But once I got past that it was a great mystery with a lot of colourful characters and interesting situations.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. The mystery was great. I didn't ever figure out who it was before we were told. I liked how the main character and all of her friends were very likable people. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Cindy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute mystery plot and twists. Some profanity, sex situations.
Amy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cotton-candy
Fluffy, slow-moving mystery with a predictable villain - but overall fun novel.
Lauren
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute cozy, good for makeup and beauty fans
Jason
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I was concerned that this one would be very "girlie" because of the makeup theme-color me surprised and thrilled with this book! Our heroine, Ziva is not as girlie as I assumed she would be, she was fabulously tough and girlie and a no BS kind of person. Another great item of note in this book is the set of multi-cultural characters. A well structured mystery, and colorful characters help propel Ziva through the start of this wonderful series.
Elissa
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must.Love.Fashion
Perfectly narrated by Tonia Blake, our heroine, Ziva, initially seems . . . young. But one gradually realize her fixation on fashion and makeup isn't due to her being an arrested teenager but because this is her business. Funny and frequently campy, you will meet gangsters and dancers and matrons and mothers along with a few hunky fellows as a murder or two is investigated and solved. See if you can figure out "whodunnit"!
Nancy Haddock
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read

A fast-paced read with fun characters. The heroine is a hoot, and the plot is well-done. I'll read more by this author.
Jana Gundy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A funny good time!

This was such a good book! Ziva is a girl after my own heart and I loved every chapter. Our leading lady is a fighter and boy, you don’t want to get in her way when she’s mad! The mystery was great and Ziva’s friends and clients made the book even better.
Tara Brown
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**This review is for the audiobook on Audible.**

The audiobook Makeup & Murder: Beauty Secrets, Book 1 by Stephanie Damore, narrated by Tonia Blake is such a fun book to listen to! This is my first book from both the author and the narrator. I love cozy mysteries, so originally that is why I was drawn toward this series, but after making it through Book 1, I feel like it could also fall into the Chick Lit genre, which is also a favorite of mine. Is there such thing as Chick Lit Cozies? If
Susan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun ebook to read. And, since I had The Audible, a fun ebook to sit back and listen to. I always use The text to speech for all The ebooks that have it, but I was really happy with The Audible. The narrator, Tonia, was really good at not only portraying the different characters but The different emotions.

The main character, Ziva, a beauty consultant, is very likeable and the different people in her life seem to blend together seamlessly. This cozy mystery has murder as well as
Susan
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jenness Jordan
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love,Mystery and a spin of humor

As a student majoring in Creative Writing over the past few years, I have been learning how to create a successful story. Engages the readers. That is what Stephanie Damore has done with Makeup &Murder. One major aspect of creating a successful story is creating characters that are credible and relatable. A great story draws the reader in through engaging dialogue, settings that feed on all the senses and a plot that is fresh and unexpected. No-one truly
Nadine
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
In between OK and like: 2.5 stars. Lighthearted.

Ziva, a beauty consultant, gets mixed up in a murder or two, connected to one of her biggest clients. Not happy with how the detective is handling the case, she starts investigating herself.

It was hard to get into at first, hard to connect with Ziva. It got better later on though.

I’m not a makeup person myself, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like reading about it. But this book comes across as a bit shallow, even juvenile. Just a little!

A
Cinda Inman
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun book to read. Ziva makes her living as a beauty consultant. When the summer issue of Beauty Secrets arrives, Ziva is off to her best friend, Aria's home, to show her the new nail polish colors. Next on her deliveries is Mrs. J who sounds like everyone's grandmother. She loves gossip and baking. Since Ziva loves sweets she always lingers at Mrs. J's. Her next stop is Marion Siebold. Marion is not home but she has given Ziva permission to enter her home and drop off things. ...more
Tex
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Makeup Delivery to Murder
(Disclaimer: I was recently provided a copy of the book. I decided to read it and provide my honest review.) Makeup and Murder, Beauty Secrets Book 1 by Stephanie Damore is a light-hearted read and your first introduction to Ziva the main character. There is a lot of laughs out loud moments, witty, funny, gossipy, and lively characters. Some of the plot’s potential places of murders (world-building)are interesting and fuels the page-turner tendencies of the book. Ziva is
John Presler
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ziva Diaz is a representative for Beauty Secrets magazine. While visiting a client's home, Ziva is attacked and left unconscious on the kitchen floor. She awakens to find Marion, the homeowner screaming and the police knocking at the door. There was a dead body in the house, but Ziva does not know yet who the victim is. The next day, she learns that the victim is Roger, an investment banker and Marion's husband.

Things start to get complicated when a second corpse is discovered aboard Roger's
Lisa Denn
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Makeup And Murder is the first book in Stephanie Damore's Beauty Secrets Mystery Series.

Overall I enjoyed the book but I did find some parts unrealistic and/or so over the top from the behavior one should expect from the characters. Sorry, but there is no way a mother would fly off for three or four days with a man she only just met. The behavior didn't mesh with the story.

Otherwise Makeup And Murder was a fun, quick read with a moderately challenging mystery. The characters were likeable -
Linda
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Stephanie Damore's book, Makeup & Murder. It's the story of Ziva Diaz who sells Beauty Secrets products. She has a bff, Aria and an arch enemy, Justine Martin. When making a product delivery at Marion Seiebold's house, she finds blood, a distraught dog, and is grabbed by the neck from behind. She later learns that Marion's husband, Roger, has been stabbed in the heart! Since Detective Brandle seems overworked, Ziva decides to do some sleuthing to see what really happened. ...more
Barbara Flowers
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This first in series is promising and a bit of a departure from the standard cozy formula -- no culinary female who falls for a handsome law enforcement type. Instead there's Ziva, a makeup consultant, who falls for Finn, the the appealing marina guy.

I enjoyed this book. It's well written and fast moving. The characters are intriguing, and the book is infused with a Janet Evanovich style humor. I love forward to the second book.

I requested and received an Advance Reader Copy of this book. My
Cindy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm soooo homesick!

I'll be honest...I just want to hop the first flight I can find to my hometown....Savannah! There is charm to spare in this book and I'm already looking forward to the next one....and some chocolate to go with! ;) This was a southern cozy! A great story, layered characters and of course the personal euphemism (ya'll know that real southern ladies don't cuss...not when they have a creative alternative!) if you like a good story, quick pace and a fantastic setting...these are
Ilene G>
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This mystery is an easy and fun read. I enjoyed it immensely.

Ziva Diaz is a beauty consultant for a direct market cosmetics company. She gets involved in a murder and decides to solve it herself. I sold Avon years ago, so I appreciated what Ziva goes through to run her business. I like the characters. Ziva finds herself in some humorous situations. She is also attracted to Finn, whom she meets while investigating. I recommend this to anyone who likes a fun mystery.
Margo James
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crazy romp with a surprise ending.

It's crazy what the cosmetic business can get you involved in. Remember when it was 'ding dong, Avon calling'? Looks like they are calling again, in all the wrong places. Loved the characters, loved the confusion, loved the reveal. I really didn't see it coming, and I can usually figure out whodunit before halfway. I can't wait to read more about this cast of 'characters'. So fun. Great work, Ms Damore.
Janet Graham
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing Cozy Mystery
This cozy mystery is the first in a series that should be very good. The action is fast and the plot is complicated. There is plenty of humor to keep you smiling. The characters are great! The personalities are realistic as are the emotions. I will be reading more of this auithor’s work. I received a free copy (ARC) of this book and voluntarily chose to share my honest review.
Kathy
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good except

I could have gone my whole life without reading Sasha's gross sex! I need brain bleach. Thanks.
Other than that though, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Good writing, we'll edited engaging characters, and a mystery I didn't figure out until the heroine. Thanks for the good read.
Krystyna
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read

Enter the cut throat world of the cosmetic seller. After stumbling over two dead bodies she has to resolve the case to keep herself safe. Well written and flows well - the only problem I had was that I knew whodunit about halfway through the book (no I hadn't looked). But all in all enjoyable.
C W
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really cute. It's the first "cosy" mystery that I've read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although it's part of a series, the book felt like it could easily have been a stand alone, which is really nice because you're left feeling satisfied at the end.

The murderer was easy to figure out, so to get that 5 star from me, but it didn't tarnish the reading experience too much.
Shirley
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Ziva stumbles upon a murder while delivering cosmetics to one of her biggest clients. When said client is suspected of murdering her husband, Ziva becomes determined to move the investigation along, especially since the lead detective never returns her calls. In the process, Ziva becomes attracted to two men and accidentally puts her BFF in a dangerous situation.

Clean, lighthearted read.
Inishowen Cailín
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was cute, fun and full of suspense and mystery.
I loved Ziva. She was smart, sassy, down to earth and I loved her attitude to men, exercise and food.
The mystery here was well written. I didn't have a clue who the murderer was. I felt that any of the side characters could have been involved and I was kept guessing until the end.
I was delighted to have found this new series and I can't wait to read more.

I voluntarily reviewed a gifted copy
Kayla
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tip of your chair read that you won't want to put down until you know who did it! I could relate to the characters and felt Ziva's adrenaline while she was trying to figure out who attacked her and was guilty of murder. Chapters were a little long for me (I prefer short, quick chapters, especially in cozy mysteries since I want to stop at end of chapters LOL). Great book for the beach!
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Bake a Murder (Cookie and Cream #1)
  • A Secret Killer (Julia Blake Murder Mystery, #4)
  • Mango Cake and Murder (Mom and Christy's Mysteries #1)
  • Flo Charts (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries)
  • Murder at the Mayan Temple (Starling and Swift Mystery #1)
  • Gunpowder Chowder (Hooked & Cooked #1)
  • Marigolds and Murder (Port Danby Mystery #1)
  • The Sleuth Sisters (The Sleuth Sisters Mysteries, #1)
  • BlueBuried Muffins (Black Cat Cafe #1)
  • Lethal Latte (Maddie Goodwell #1)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
  • Involuntary Turnover (Kat Voyzey Mysteries, #1)
  • Christmas, a Cat and Cardiac Arrest (Heather's Forge Mystery #1)
  • Trudy, Madly, Deeply (Working Stiffs Mystery, #1)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • Pit Perfect (Barkside of the Moon #1)
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • The Madams of Mischief (Doom Divas,  #1)
I'm a mystery author with a soft spot for romance and humor, too. I love all things girlie with a dollop of danger, have a strong affinity for the color pink (especially in diamonds and champagne), and, not to brag, but chocolate and I are in a pretty serious relationship.

My books are fun and flirty, and feature smart and sassy sleuths. If you love books with a dash of spice and twist of

Beauty Secrets (6 books)
  • Kiss & Makeup (Beauty Secrets #2)
  • Eyeliner & Alibis (Beauty Secrets #3)
  • Pedicures & Prejudice (Beauty Secrets #4)
  • Beauty & Bloodshed (Beauty Secrets #5)
  • Charm & Deception (Beauty Secrets #6)