Start by marking “Lobbying for Change: Find Your Voice to Create a Better Society” as Want to Read:
Lobbying for Change: Find Your Voice to Create a Better Society

Lobbying for Change: Find Your Voice to Create a Better Society

Many democratic societies are experiencing a crisis of faith. Citizens are making clear their frustration with their supposedly representative governments, which instead seem driven by the interests of big business, powerful individuals and wealthy lobby groups. What can we do about it? How do we fix democracy and get our voices heard? The answer, argues Alberto Alemanno, ...more
Paperback
Published July 11th 2017 by Icon Books

To ask other readers questions about Lobbying for Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lobbying for Change

Coan
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lobbying for Change
By Alberto Alemanno

I’d been looking for a ‘How to’ book on public engagement and advocacy for a while (see my earlier review of ‘I’m right and you’re an idiot). However, Lobbying for Change is the best I’ve read yet:

-It’s practical (with case examples and tools provided);
-It’s easy to follow (with step by step guides); and
-It balances detail with brevity (clocking in at 270 pages).

The author, Alberto, is well experienced in advocacy but doesn’t come across as arrogant. His kno
Soumeya
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that I highly recommend for anyone who believe in social justice and would like to take action on an issue she/he is deeply concerned about.
The book act both as a source of inspiration AND a sort of manual where you find a roadmap on how to pursue your lobbying path, influence decision-makers and achieve real change!
The roadmap is both detailed and concise and is accompanied by activities as well as an annex with all relevant tools.
I'd recommend also to follow Alberto Alemanno an
Suzana
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A useful and great instrument to the democracy.
A very good text and "how-to-do", methodological, strategical guide step by step book, with cases, models, experiences, "devices", based on excellent references.
This book inspires and coaches us to develop the correct and effective actions and strategies with the adequate tools to promote (or to oppose) public situations, causes, initiatives, enabling all of us to exercise our role to become individuals more civic engaged toward our society. To ex
Leslie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very thorough, step by step guide, on how to make your voice heard in these uncertain political times.
It didn't get too bogged down in political jargon making it easy to read, even for someone who's not overly political.
Joanna
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alberto Alemanno is an academic and an advocate for citizen lobbying and this book fits in well with both of those narratives. The content is well-researched and comprehensive without losing focus on the main purpose: how to lobby as a citizen.

I admit I was a bit impatient about getting to the lobbying part, which doesn’t get addressed until the 30% mark of the book. The theory is important, however, and since I quickly waned in my interest after finding out what lobbying is and how to do it — w
Jim
This was an amazing book - I feel like it would be useful for the budding activist, or the weathered protester - it discusses what we can do as individuals to affect change in policy.

As everyone seems to know, there are two things that we can do to take part in a democracy - first, vote, and second, volunteer for (or donate to) political campaigns.

But that's not true!

And it’s about policy - not politics! What do you need to do to become a citizen lobbyist. It's something else we can do to chan
Jacopo
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring
Paul
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Only the beginning really interested me after that its more of a practical how, which is very dry and dull to read unless you actually want to lobby
Jemima
Feb 07, 2019
Esther Crabbendam
Feb 11, 2018
Nandini Mitkari
rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2019
Rachel Grimer-James
Dec 01, 2018
Pieter-jan Van
Sep 25, 2018
Madison Mega-Mara...: #88 Lobbying for Change by Alberto Alemanno 1 2 Dec 23, 2017 08:56PM