Start by marking “Escape from Syria” as Want to Read:
Escape from Syria

Escape from Syria

A graphic story of intense current events.

From the pen of former Lebanon Star reporter Samya Kullab comes a breathtaking and hard-hitting story of one family's struggle to survive in the face of war, displacement, poverty and relocation.

Published October 1st 2017 by Firefly Books

To ask other readers questions about Escape from Syria, please sign up.
Cassandra M I would say this would be good for 5th grade and up. It has some graphics that wouldn't be best for younger ones, with blood scenes, and the content…moreI would say this would be good for 5th grade and up. It has some graphics that wouldn't be best for younger ones, with blood scenes, and the content is more for the upper grades. It tells a good story, and definitely is sad with the struggles the family goes through to make it. (less)

Start your review of Escape from Syria
Lola
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fictional graphic novel that is very much realistic.

So realistic that it brought tears to my eyes. The thing is, it’s not even sappy. It doesn’t even “beg” for our understanding, empathy and help. We understand, emphasize and want to help nonetheless, because we can and should.

It’s an account of the events preceding and following the escape of Amina’s family from Syria, as the title clearly indicates.

We are briefly told about the events leading to the war in Syria, but the focus is on the
vanessa
4.5. I highly recommend this graphic novel about Syrian refugees, written by a journalist based out of Lebanon. The art is emotionally touching and conveys the family unit's struggles and hopes well. I loved that this took such a heavy situation and broke it down in a way that was easy to follow. It was short, but it wastes no pages: it was so informative and enlightening. It touched upon some things I knew, but best of all it taught me a lot of new information.
Erica
This graphic novel follows the tribulations of a Syrian family as told by the daughter who recounts the end of her family's livelihood in Aleppo, their years as refugees in Lebanon, and then the beginning of their lives as relocated Syrians in Canada.

Her story isn't nearly as simple as that sentence.
Bulent Alkanli
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sad, but true.
Need to have more of this printed, as we are left alone with 3,5 Million people in need, without any of the “civilised” nations feeling the urge of sharing responsibility.
Juwi
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it

Heartbreaking book that highlights the horrors of the war in Syria, the toll on refugees, what it means to be a refugee perpetually in limbo and having to depend on the humanity of others. Parents having their daughters get married so they can be safe is heartbreaking and the trauma that comes with being a refugee and losing your homeland and identity and sense of self. Then having to deal with racism and islamophobia (yes you get Christian Syrians too but they wouldn’t suffer as a
Rahma Abdelrahman
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This. Book. Is. So. Important.
It is very approachable, informative, and makes it easy to learn about the Syrian war; I learned a lot.
In addition to the subject matter, the artwork is fantastic in my opinion, and the book is very faithful when it comes to Muslim representation in books; I really appreciated that, because most books with “Muslim representation” end up screwing everything up because they aren’t researched well-enough.

Overall, I highly recommend this graphic novel!
K
This book takes a half hour to read. In half an hour, Escape From Syria takes you into the intensity of the revolution and refugee experience. Some families in Syria were just trying to pursue normal life, living lives rich in intellectual pursuit, surrounded by extended family, sometimes even in the same multi-floor apartment building before revolution broke out.

But because Syria had no freedom and no democracy, when the Arab Spring began in Arab lands, revolution naturally started to foment in
Raina
Fictionalized, ripped from life story about one journey away from Syria.

Full-color illustrations that effectively tell the story. Plenty of context-exposition. 8 pages of endnotes, including photographs of the real stuff.

Engaging, tragic, real, heartbreaking.

Read with:
A Land of Permanent Goodbyes
The Reading Writing Puppet
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A. David Lewis
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book of heart, of hurt, and of humility is a must-read for anyone concerned with the conflict in Syria — or perhaps simply those who need to review their own privilege. Of all the graphic novels and stories I have read on Syria and its refugees, this both rang the truest and felt the most accessible. I cannot recommend it more highly.
Amy Layton
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flashing back from present to past,Escape from Syria juxtaposes the different manners of living and existing in Canada and Aleppo. Following a family from the war-ridden Aleppo and their eventual immigration, this book offers a narrative that has become all too real for many Syrians.

With colorful illustrations, good graphics, and a fantastic storyline, this book takes your heart and tugs it. It's emotional, strange, and overall an engaging, fictional account of what too many are experiencing
Katie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is only my second graphic novel and it was an amazing one. The illustrations are beautiful and I learned so much about Syria. The history was embedded into the story and it makes me want to learn more about what's been happening in Syria.
Garrett
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Based upon real research and reporting and backed up with references, this is a GN that belongs on a shelf with Palestine and Fax from Sarajevo. Heartbreaking and sad but an informative and necessary read, I recommend this to everyone needing an insight into Syria's current conditions the global factors that went into creating the situation.
Maddie
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An impactful and accessible way to to show the tragedy of Syria. The storyline is simple and covers the basics but I love the inclusion of further explanation in the back notes for those who want more backstory and detail into the references and events that occur throughout the book.
Joy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The introduction and end notes give factual support the fictional account of a young Syrian refugee. Would be a great introduction to the current situation in Syria. Would also be a great conversation starter with current refugee students.
Tatiana
For reasons I can’t explain, the Syrian Civil War has long tugged at my head and heart. It’s an unfathomable situation, unprecedented, and yet as a global people (particularly in the West), our aid has been too miniscule and intermittent for the displaced Syrian citizens fleeing terror.

Since the war began in 2011 (some argue 2013), the plight of Syrian refugees has created a thriving sub-genre of literature. Samya Kullab, a former Lebanese reporter, adds to the pile with Escape from Syria, a
Beth
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short but powerful graphic novel. Good to pair with Refugee bu Gratz
Lily
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Dave Mevis
These new nonfiction graphic novels are a great way to learn about hot topics and current events! Maybe somebody should slip some of these onto Trump's nightstand.
Anna Goldberg
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An introduction to the conflict in Syria told in comics form for a young audience. This story was very simple, but useful as a teaching tool and empathy-building read.
Becky Porter
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
{free book from Firefly Books—all opinions are my own}

This graphic novel made my heart ache! As a general rule, I am not a fan of graphic novels (they are too visually cluttered for my brain to handle), but this one was well-done. I feel so strongly that this topic—civil war and refugees—is not discussed enough in America, and this book rekindled my desire to at least share facts and spread the word. The illustrations are accurate without being too gruesome, and the storyline is packed with
Rod Brown
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Unrelentingly depressing until a bittersweet happy ending that is revealed to be highly unlikely for the vast majority of Syrian refugees, this is a message book that is pretty typical for its sort, but has the bonus of simple but charming artwork, very readable lettering and a good balance of dialogue and text boxes.
Jenna
An informative and important read, but I wish it had been told in a linear fashion rather than one that hopped back-and-forth in time.

I enjoyed the minimal drawing style that conveyed the realities and difficulties of Amina’s life, as well as the contrast of her urge to leave the country to be able to learn with her mother’s resistance to leave home.
McKenna
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is succinct and effective. It doesn’t beg for tears or pity, but bluntly shows what Syrians are experiencing in their own homes and while fleeing. It also effectively explains the crisis in a way that is simple and understandable. This would make a great read for tweens and teens who struggle to grapple the complex nature of the Syrian crisis, as well as adults.
Carla
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
When a graphic novel's front and backmatter are the most interesting part of the text, that's a problem.
Maggi Rohde
The content is absolutely horrifying, but the format is too brief and simple for teens. This makes it a hard book to market. I would say teen or upper middle school.
Gee Dee
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic-novels
Vena
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Number of stars: 5 out of 5 stars

Genre: Graphic novel based on true events

Best for ages: 14+

Warnings: N/A

Favorite quote: But I've realized our suffering isn't unique. Life pushes on for us like it does everyone.'

Back cover summary: In 2011, against the backdrop if the Arab spring, Syria's citizens call for revolution. Rebel groups are formed to overthrow dictatorial president Bashar al-Assad, who responds by plunging the nation into a years-long civil war. Aleppo, Syria's most populous city,
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Escape from Syria’ by Samya Kullab (author), Jackie Roche (illustrator), and Mike Freiheit (colorist) is a powerful graphic novel about a girl, Amina, and her family as they flee Syria as violence erupts in their town. Suddenly Amina and her family have to adapt to a new way of life as refugees in Lebanon. Amina can no longer go to school, her brother is sick, and her father gets into some questionable dealings all in order to save his family. But in the end their family sticks together and are ...more
Ben Truong
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Escape from Syria is a graphic novel written by Samya Kullab and illustrated by Jackie Roche and Mike Freiheit. It is a breathtakingly and hard-hitting story of one family's struggle to survive in the face of war, displacement, poverty, and relocation.

Escape from Syria is a fictionalized account that calls on real-life circumstances and true tales of refugee families to serve as a microcosm of the Syrian uprising and the war and refugee crisis that followed.

The story spans six years for this
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Stargazing
  • Photographic: The Life of Graciela Iturbide
  • It's Me. (Catwad, #1)
  • The Crossover
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Kiss Number 8