Start by marking “The Tropic of Eternity (The Amaranthine Spectrum #3)” as Want to Read:
The Tropic of Eternity (The Amaranthine Spectrum #3)

The Tropic of Eternity

(The Amaranthine Spectrum #3)

It is the 147th century. The mighty era of Homo Sapiens is at an end. In the Westerly Provinces of the Old World, the hunt is on for the young queen Arabis, and the vile creature that holds her captive. In the brutal hominid Investiture, revolution has come. The warlord Cunctus, having seized the Vulgar worlds, invites every Prism to pick a side. In the Firmament, once the ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by Night Shade

To ask other readers questions about The Tropic of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tropic of Eternity

Start your review of The Tropic of Eternity (The Amaranthine Spectrum #3)
Olivia
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful book. I finally found a series where I will be re-reading the previously released books every time a new book releases!

Tom Toner may be the Steven Erikson of Science Fiction, because he drops the reader straight into an unfamiliar world without any explanation.

I'm a fast reader and sometimes tempted to skim more than I should, which works with books set on our world where not every third word is strange and unfamiliar. After reading a third of the first novel, abo
Paul Sánchez Keighley
Phew. Damn. Well. Brrrrrrr. Wow. Yep. Aha. Okay.

Sometimes the sunk cost fallacy pays off.

Somebody give this man a degree in ambition, because he gets it. I’ve read some ambitious sci-fi and fantasy series over the years, but this one knocks the ball out of the park.

The feelings I experienced reading this book were similar to the ones I described in my review of Last and First Men . I feel like Tom Toner took my sense of self-worth and relevance in the world and crushed them to the point wher
Kate
The third novel in the extraordinary, beautiful and original Amaranthine Spectrum series is perhaps the most complex and, for this reader, most difficult of the books, but it is nonetheless a bewitching and enchanting read. There are moments, places and characters here that are described with such gorgeousness, as well as not a little horror, that they more than compensate for the other moments which left me wondering what in the heavens was going on! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Night ...more
Elaine Aldred
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Far into the future humankind has fractured into different species, each with its place in the hierarchy of the extended social structure; the Amaranthine, the descendants of humanity who have unlocked some of the secrets of immortality, right down to the Prism species at the bottom of this vast social order. Each faction now vies for supremacy. Things are going to get very messy, unless a balance can be found.

Imagine the Jabberwocky running amok within a steampunk world, and one with the most s
Vicky
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The final installment in The Amaranthine Spectrum series, this book is just as wild, as wacky and generally as weird as its two predecessors. I must also say before we start: it’s probably a good idea to go back and read the first two before you dip into these. This is not a series for the faint-hearted; it’s a series to savour and enjoy, and it’s all to easy to get lost in its labyrinthine passages.

Tom Toner’s incredible imagination takes us back to the world of the Amaranthine and a galaxy bur
Björn
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time it was the 'sense of wonder' that kindled my love for SciFi and bound me to the genre. The Amaranthine Spectrum-Trilogy by Tom Toner brings back those early sense-of-wonder-y goosebumps. It's a complex, highly ambitious, very differently and originally structured and first and foremost deeply romantic tale of the far future.

I just can't summarize this last book of the trilogy. Summarization is futile. Very far in the future, and very deep in the past, the world(s) is (are) very
Pedro L. Fragoso
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Honeysuckle and warm evenings, the perfume of jasmine on the breeze.” And Tom Toner is still unrelenting, and no-holds-barred uncompromising, on the multigalactic scope of this million years epic-to-end-all-epics saga and on its continuing demands of the readers.

“When I was younger, Jatropha had said as they made their way down, we all thought the world was going to end, sooner or later. But it never did; the new just piled on top of the old, as it always had, and the world carried on.” Exactly
Solomon's
Nov 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
The Tropic of Eternity, the final book in Tom Toner's trilogy, gives an answer to the question that has been growing in my mind: Is there a grand order to the chaos? Nope. There is no method to the madness and there never was. The storylines and characters do not appear to be a tangled web because they are the weavings of a subtle mind, they appear that way because they are the product of an inexperienced writer.

Particularly frustrating to me now as I look back on the series is that all througho
Adamk959
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I saw someone refer to Tom Toner as being the Steven Erikson of science fiction, and I think that is fair when referring to the scope and ambition of these books, but I think the spirit of the books, their strangeness and creativity owes something to Iain M Banks as well, who I’m sure would have loved this series as much as I do.

The tension is ratcheted up in this volume and builds and builds to an epic climax, and while the first book was challenging and surreal, the setting and characters hav
Paul Trembling
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tropic of Eternity (Volume Three of this trilogy) has a very useful little summary of past events included at the front. This would have been good to have had at the beginning of volume 2, but was probably essential at this stage. With so many characters, so many places and so many interwoven plotlines I found it impressive that the author managed to keep track of them all, let alone the readers!

And, even though this is the third and final book, Toner doesn't stop introducing new characters, sce
Alexander
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Advance copy supplied by Netgalley) Bloody hell, this was brilliant! Tom Toner is absolutely the natural heir to Iain M Banks. Stop wasting your time reading my review, go and read the books!
Mr Roy Brown
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unsatisfying ending. Felt like it could have done with another 200 pages
Mike Gayeski
Aug 20, 2019
Blaise Carland
Feb 25, 2019
Terry
rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2018
Aaron
Dec 04, 2018
Neal
Dec 23, 2019

• Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man
  • Dominion (The Eternity War #3)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time, #2)
  • The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld, #41; Tiffany Aching, #5)
  • The Grand Dark
  • The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
  • New American Haggadah
  • The Raven Tower
  • Will Save the Galaxy for Food (Jacques McKeown, #1)
  • Is That a Fish in Your Ear? Translation and the Meaning of Everything
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
  • Hard to Be a God
  • Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy, #1)
  • After the End of the World (Carter & Lovecraft, #2)
  • Carter & Lovecraft (Carter & Lovecraft, #1)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
Tom Toner was born in Somerset, England, in 1986. The Tropic of Eternity is the concluding volume in Toner’s debut trilogy, following The Promise of the Child and The Weight of the World.

The Amaranthine Spectrum (3 books)
  • The Promise of the Child (The Amaranthine Spectrum #1)
  • The Weight of the World (The Amaranthine Spectrum #2)