Start by marking “Dead in the Water” as Want to Read:
Dead in the Water

Dead in the Water

(Mattie Winston Mysteries #8)

"Sassy, sexy, and suspenseful."
--Carolyn Hart

As a single mom and deputy coroner of Sorenson, Wisconsin, Mattie Winston is used to her life being a juggling act. But now that she's moved in with Detective Steve Hurley and his teenaged daughter, and has started planning their wedding, her home life is looking more like a three-ring circus. At least her workload at the Medica
Paperback
Published December 26th 2017 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Dead in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in the Water

Jonathan
I’ve waited for a long time for this book, then I decided to wait longer. Now, I wish I had waited even longer because the next one doesn’t come out until next year! Dead in the Water was an absolutely electrifying book. Filled with spine-chilling moments and relatable characters, it was a winner!

I love Mattie. Absolutely love her. She’s funny, honest, and, most importantly, real. Mattie is the type of character you’d expect to see in life, there is absolutely no stiffness when it comes to her.
Betty
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, cozy, arc, dogs, cats
I was delighted to receive this books as Mattie Winston life story is a favorite from the first book I read. I went back and read the earlier ones. Mattie is now a single mother of a year two old son. She is living with Detective Stave Hurley and his daughter, Emily. As usual, Mattie's is hectic as Izzy has a heart attack and she is working with a stand in the coroner. The first death is of a young woman who has been dead awhile. Next the horror of finding her co-worker murder and his companion ...more
Barbara Hackel
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some book series it seems like the time creeps by so slowly that you will swear the woman has been pregnant for over two years. However, author Annelise Ryan doesn't handle her series that way at all. To me. her series seems very realistic both in the situations they find themselves involved in and the way her characters age. As a mother, I especially enjoyed the way little Matthew (around age 2) has gone from being a baby to a pottie training terror. Ms Ryan presents him in such a way that you ...more
Sally
This book was the best so far!!!
Mary Brown
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead In The Water
Mattie Winston Mysteries, Book #8
Annelise Ryan
5 Stars

Synopsis:

Deputy coroner Mattie Winston is starting to feel like she’s in way over her head . . .

As the single mom of an energetic toddler and an investigator working for the medical examiner’s office in small-town Sorenson, Wisconsin, Mattie is used to her life being a juggling act. But now that she’s moved in with Detective Steve Hurley and his teenaged daughter Emily, and has started planning their wedding, her home life is
Susan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mattie is an investigator for the coroner's office, and lives a chaotic life with her detective boyfriend Steve Hurley, his daughter, and their toddler son. She's finally agreed to marry Steve, but who has time to plan a wedding? Especially now, when there are two murders that concern her own office, and her beloved boss Izzy has had a heart attack. His substitute seems easy to work with, but she still worries about Izzy. The murders get mixed up with a lot of conspiracy theory fodder, and are o ...more
Linda Baker
Mattie is juggling life with a two-year-old, a job as Deputy Coroner, her live-in fiance, Police Detective Steve Hurley, and his teenage daughter makes every day a three ring circus. Adding the pressure of planning a wedding has her way over her head. When she and Steve are called to the scene of an unexplained death, a whole new set of problems begin. The victim is a young woman with no evident cause of death, but she is just the start. Mattie's boss, Izzy, has a heart attack and two more death ...more
Wendy Nelson
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I usually love a Mattie Winston story, but I do not remember so many mundane details being written about in previous books. She went upstairs, she made the bed, she washed the dishes, she took Matthew to Desi's. She unlocked the door, set down the diaper bag, turned on the light...what is that? It's like she was trying to reach some kind of word number for the book. It was boring and totally not necessary. There is more mundane day to day stuff than there is story/mystery. And I could have done ...more
Meredith
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you want a quick, light read it will be worth your time. If you want literature, pass it by. I found it to be tedious after the first 100 pages or so. The overly cutesy descriptions of her son also got on my nerves.
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01GBAG70E
Reviewed For NetGalley and Kensington Books
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.75 Stars

As the single mom of an energetic toddler and an investigator working for the
Imjussayin
Dead in the Water Mattie Winston Mysteries 8
Best read in order.

In A Nutshell:Somewhere amongst the baby poo is a murder mystery, and Mattie's life laid bare.

The Plot: Mattie's colleague Hal and his girlfriend are dead. It is murder but who is responsible? Mattie's father, a defendant from another case or somebody else entirely?

The Protagonist: The very tall and voluptuous Mattie is a fun, self-deprecating, intelligent and caring character. We need more Matties in the world.

I like Mattie Winston
Sheila
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started in the middle of this series and finally caught up with this story. This kept me on the edge of my chair and I enjoyed all the drama and mysterious deaths. Meg finally finds out about the real reason her father left her and her mother. At this point I was really angry at her mom and then I was angry with Mattie because she could not forgive her father. Now that Mattie is a mom, I would think she could understand the reason her father left. Though I'm not sure I could forgive my mom for ...more
Lghiggins
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead in the Water is the eighth mystery in the Mattie Winston Mystery Series. As I read, I suspected it was not a standalone, but I was unaware of the number of books preceding it. The author fills the reader in on the background of characters from previous books very effectively and efficiently.

Some readers refer to Dead in the Water as a cozy mystery. It deviates from the typical cozy mystery in its focus on forensic investigation of crimes, as is found in two popular television shows: the mo
Linda Millard
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the Mattie Winston series. Annelise Ryan writes in a style that is very realistic and relatable. I enjoy the fact that she doesn't feel that it's necessary to describe every bit of scenery and bit of minutia in Mattie's day. The only quibble I have with this book is the list from Hal's thumb drive and the lack of the connection from the DW in the list to Mattie's ex-husband. Maybe that will be explored in the next book. Hope Steve and Mattie get a honeymoon at some point - maybe e ...more
Mary
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for another great Mattie Winston novel. The mystery was good and the characters interesting and funny. Mattie has her hands full with murder, mayhem, an absent father who has reentered her life (somewhat), potty training a 2 year old, a sick boss and an impending wedding. How much can this woman handle? Well, but it seems as though she can handle quite a bit as Mattie comes thru with flying colors. Not all storylines are resolved making me antsy for the next book. It's a fast read as the ...more
Lisa Morin
I had been reading this series for quite a while, but for some reason I stopped until the last few books.
I'm happy that I was able to reunite with Mattie Winston and all the other wonderful characters in this book.
The mystery never ends in this series and I was so intrigued by the story that I read it from beginning to end.
The relationship with Mattie and Hurley is a big part of this book and it was exciting to be, part of this wild adventure.
I look forward to reading more in this series.

I volu
JB
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
looking at reviews people love this series, I'm not sure why, to me it was kind of blah. And I don't understand why a medical examiner or investigator is actually acting like a detective running around following leads and looking for clues. there's obviously a lot of back story I've missed and reviews have mentioned humour in the books, I didn't see any in this one, but maybe the others are funny. I won't avoid this series but i won't go looking for more either.
Kathleen Gray
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read this series before so thanks loads to Netgalley for the ARC which introduced me to Annelise Ryan and Mattie. This is a very clever twist on a cozy. Mattie has a lot going on in her life (kids, wedding, a job) but she's also a dogged investigator even when others might back off a bit. I liked the humor and the very realistic comments that flow so easily from Mattie's mouth. I didn't want to put this one down and am now looking forward to the next! A good read!
Donna
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Mattie Winston Mysteries and always excited when a new book comes out. The last book, "Dead in the Water" is a page turner and continues to keep my interest. But at the end I was very disappointed Annelise Ryan seemed to loose the connection of the whole mystery leaving it hanging and really dropped the ball. I am sorry but seems like she got exhausted or something.

I hope the next book will step up to finishing this book which really had a great mystery going.

Linda Smatzny
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Mattie Winston meets her father and learns more information about him and why he disappeared. Also she is investigating three murders one of each is a co-worker when she learns the three are connected. Mattie and Hurley are now living together and planning to get married. The book was a quick easy read.
Nancy
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like we wait so long between books, that I get a new Annelise Ryan book and DEVOUR it! Although it was a little frantic at parts (Mattie running from her job, to the baby, to her stepdaughter, to her job) I really loved every word of this book and can not wait (How long do we have to wait??) for the next book!
Sharon johannsen
Really good read! Kept me on the edge of my seat and turning the pages as fast as . I think your average sleuths will thoroughly enjoy this book.

It keeps you guessing from the beginning as the author lays out the story. The crime part ended rather abruptly. Sort of the one disappointment in the book..
Renee
Well-done, fun cozy mystery! Since my days of obssessively reading Cherry Ames, Vickie Barr, Trixie Belden & Nancy Drew, cozy mystery has been my go-to feel-good genre. I’m glad to find another satisfying series to plug into from time to time :)
Imom249
May 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
this book seems different than the other books in the series. I found it very hard to get into and it just seemed to drag on. disappointing, as I really liked the previous ones and was looking forward to reading this.
judy
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Mattie Winston mystery!

This series has interesting characters both main and secondary. The author has a way of writing that puts you inside the story and you can picture everything as it happens. There were twists and turns and surprises that were unexpected.
Leah
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't what I was expecting it to be. I was looking for a fun, sweet mystery, and this was the opposite. The characters and the story were okay, and the ending was interesting, but it wasn't enough to make me like this book.
Susan
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I continue to enjoy this series, eight books and, I hope there will be more. These are cozy with a bit of a bite due to the fact that Mattie, the main character, is a medico-legal investigator. That gives Maddie free reign to investigate a crime, not just oops, look what I stumbled upon, said by the cozy amateur. This series is believable and well written. I'll be looking forward to #9.
Kim
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite series of books!! I have my sisters and my niece hooked as well.
Although this book isn't as humorous as previous ones, the story is much more serious and in-depth.
Kudos again, Annelise Ryan!! Another winner!!
Donn Lorber
Set in Wisconsin, a single mom and coroner investigator gets into unusual murder and mystery. Smooth easy story, well done
Denise Fleischer
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Review to follow on gottawritenetwork.wordpress.com

• Death at the Day Lily Cafe
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)
  • Oliver Twisted (Ivy Meadows #3)
  • Murder on a Designer Diet (A Red Carpet Catering Mystery, #3)
  • Something Foul at Sweetwater (Missy DuBois Mystery #2)
  • In Cold Chocolate (A Southern Chocolate Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Fatal Fiction (A Book Barn Mystery, #1)
  • The Bluebonnet Betrayal (Potting Shed Mystery, #5)
  • Til Death Do Us Party (A Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #4)
  • Death at Gills Rock (Dave Cubiak, #2)
  • House of Ashes
  • The Novel Art of Murder (Mystery Bookshop, #3)
  • The Cupcake Caper (Undercover Cat, #1)
  • Bitter Harvest (A Greenhouse Mystery #2)
  • Daufuskie Island
Annelise Ryan is the author of the Mattie Winston mystery series. Ryan is a real life emergency room RN working and living in Wisconsin. She has always believed laughter really is the best medicine, and with the Mattie Winston series she is hoping to "medicate" the masses.

Annelise Ryan is a pseudonym for author Beth Amos. There are several reasons why it was decided to use a pseudonym, not the lea

Mattie Winston Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #1)
  • Scared Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #2)
  • Frozen Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #3)
  • Lucky Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #4)
  • Board Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #5)
  • Stiff Penalty (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #6)
  • Stiff Competition (Mattie Winston Mysteries #7)
  • Dead Calm (Mattie Winston Mysteries #9)
  • Dead of Winter (Mattie Winston Mysteries #10)
  • Dead Ringer (A Mattie Winston Mystery, #11)