Start by marking “What About Today” as Want to Read:
What About Today

What About Today

Aiden's stuck working for his family's amusement park, Funtastic World, for the whole summer. Nothing amuses him, until he met this terrified girl.
Gemma's stuck in Funtastic World thinking she could handle the park's rides. She couldn't. Good thing she met someone to guide her.
As the day comes to a close, Aiden and Gemma ask themselves if one day is ever enough to decide
Published August 31st 2015 (first published April 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about What About Today, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What About Today

Alyssa
I've read this book last month but I wasn't able to post a review about it because I got depressed and ill for a few weeks. Basically, it's like life's preventing me from being a productive book blogger and individual. Gah. :(

What About Today is, just like the title suggests, a story that happened within 24 hours. It's actually my first time to read a 24-hour story. You would think that it would be a story with a lot of plot holes because let's face it, it ain't easy to write a book that happene
kb
Before picking this up, I read The Breakup Anniversary, a short story (the author had a giveaway), and enjoyed that (view spoiler), so I thought, this one, a story that takes place in a day, shouldn't be far off. This is by Dawn Lanuza, after all, author of the breathtaking The Hometown Hazard .

I'll get this out of the way: This is no THH. But that's not to say it hasn't got the same sharp storytelling, kilig-inducing moments and funtastic
Olivia Chanel's Galaxy of Books
I loved this one so much. Aiden and Gemma were the most amazing characters and their day together at the amusement park was a pure delight. This is a perfect summer read and the cutest, fluffiest, sofiest meet cute I have read in a long time. I would recommend this without a doubt. It gets bonus points for lots of favorite moments (some trope-y) which just made it that much sweeter.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: filipino-authors
SO MUCH LOVE FOR AIDEN AND GEMMA!!! Also, I related to Gemma on so many levels. YA Romance in 24 hrs or amusement parks are things I enjoy a lot too and with all these amazing pieces of the story falling into place so wonderfully, it's no wonder I swooned over this book.
Kristy Mauna
This is my first book by Dawn Lanuza but I am now a fan! What About Today was short and sweet, and I adored it! A truly magical, swoony, beautiful day spent at an amusement park. The ending killed me and I'd honestly love to see more from these characters in the future (one can hope)!
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
I never met a lion hugger before, not even an aspiring one. Now I've read about one and he's interesting. No, scratch that. He's purrrfect, emphasis on the purr because he loves lions and other animals. And oh, he works at an amusement park and gives tour rides to an amusing badass loner named Gemma. So I really think he's cool. His name is Aiden by the way.

Now, let's talk about Gemma, who's afraid to ride the Ferris Wheel when she assumed someone died in that monstrosity. But it's her birthday
Inah (The Bibliophile Confessions)
HUY GRABE NAMAN OH YUNG FEELINGS KO PAKIBALIK SA AKIN THX

-----------------

Dawn Lanuza easily became one of my favorite authors as soon as I read her first book, The Boyfriend Backtrack. Her writing style is unique and mellifluent which makes it really easy to get into her books.

This story started really great. We’re presented with two characters, both complex but easy to relate to. Aiden was sort of forced to work for his family’s amusement park, while Gemma was having a dilemma with trying out
Nica
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a light read. It’s hilarious, simple, and romantic.
I definitely like the writing style and that the book has the POV of Gemma and Aiden. In that way, readers get a glimpse of what’s going on in the minds of both MC.
Just like in The Boyfriend Backtrack, there are funny stuffs in this book. I especially love the banters of Gemma and Aiden. But the author managed to insert deep stuffs in their conversations.
This book definitely didn’t disappoint. The book consists of 7 chapters on
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
I LOVED IT. It felt like Statistical Probability of Love at First Time all over agaaaaaain! Thank you so much Ms. Dawn for giving me a chance to read and review your book. Review to come up on the blog.
H. Bentham
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What About Today by Dawn Lanuza
I’ve said this over a hundred times everywhere already: I’ve forever been dreaming of a carnival date! And since that’s not yet in the itinerary for the foreseeable future, this book is an amazing alternative to the real thing.

It is a fun and easy read putting two seventeen-year-olds in a certain point where their lives could change for the best. Aiden is ultra-bored working in their family’s amusement park, while Gemma, celebrating her birthday, is in said amuseme
Karla (leersucks)
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know how you feel when you spend some hours with you crush and you talk and talk and you actually feel like you have a chance? Well, that's how this book makes you feel. Full of giddy happiness and hope. It is all just really cute, to be honest. And not only cute, but real. It really felt like two actual teenagers meeting, talking, getting to know each other. I love it that it wasn't cheesy at all. I don't know how to say this other than it felt real. As if this happened in real life and the ...more
Bookbed
"This is the first time I’ve read a book by Dawn Lanuza, but I can already say I’m going to pick up her other ones, especially if the sequel for this one comes out. What About Today has set the bar for my local YA lit expectations!" Continue reading our review here.

Please note: We don't use ratings but for this purpose, we tag books with three stars by default.
Would like to be a reviewer/contributor to Bookbed? Sign up here!
We also accept review requests. More info here.
That was pretty precious~ :3

This is a fun little meet-cute set at an amusement park, which is honestly one of the best settings for a meet-cute. Gemma is trying to kick-start her life for her seventeenth birthday while Aiden works at his family’s amusement park for the summer. When she chickens out on going on the Ferris wheel (in part because of Aiden?? lol) and Aiden follows her, he decides to be her guide to her “Quest to YOLO.” He gets her on rides and throughout the day the talk and get to
Mary Anne Balane
This book is the cutest! It rekindled my love for 24-hour (or even less-than-24-hours) spontaneous romance stories -- a love that began with Rachel Cohn and David Levithan's Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Dawn Lanuza's What About Today has that right amount of kilig and a bit of Young Adult angst that will make you want to go out on a summer adventure to the nearest amusement park -- even if it is already rainy season here in the Philippines.
Madi De Jesus
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its "Before Sunrise" except it ended at 7 and happened in an amusement park and they actually learned each other's names. I loved it!!!

Except that ending... Why are my favorite authors so cruel? I need a part two. I need a Before Sunset.

Also I need a Lion Hugger in my life right now. Send help.
Fay
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanceclass
Sometimes, most insane of circumstances make the most unexpected of love stories. What About Today is a promising tale of two teens who took the leap to see what the rabbit hole of love has in store for them.

Full review on my book blog: http://wp.me/p4gfJt-Jx (Will be up on February 15!)
Airah Antonio
The stuff generic romcoms are made of.
M
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
A gem and a lion-hugger.
Chasia Lloyd
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, light read. Amusement park setting? Lions lovers and girls afraid of ferris wheels? Yessss.
Jennilyn
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Also posted on Rurouni Jenni Reads***

Blame kdrama because my dream first date is in an amusement park. I imagine it going something a bit like this: so at this point in time of our relationship, we don’t know each other much yet but I think taking death defying rides and screaming for our lives together will pretty much bond us forever. We’ll eat ice cream after, then he will play amusement park games and win the biggest plushie they have there for me. I’ll get tired from all the walking arou
Jessica
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What About Today is a novella that can be read in one sitting, (I would have if my mood weren't going up and down like a yo-yo) it’s a light read and is perfect during a warm afternoon. All the scenes between the protagonists happened during one day, and there were moments when I felt a bit bored with the characters’ dialogue with each other, it felt too much, but overall I love this book.

Aiden's character managed to make me laugh and smile, while some other time he annoyed me so much, especial
Jay Tria
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Aiden and Gemma wanted to do was to get through this one day in Funtastic World, but for different reasons. Aiden, son of the amusement park’s owner, is stuck answering emails as dictated by his brother. Gemma has a self-inflicted mission to take on the park’s rides, including the scary ones, on her own and on this particular day. Aiden’s sneaky escape from his office chair has him catching wide-eyed Gemma hightail it away from a scary ride. He follows her, talks and asks and probes until sh ...more
Kristel Villar
As usual, Dawn Lanuza did not disappoint! I love the fun, vibrant and lively vibe the story gives, making my reading experience enjoyable. Aiden and Gemma are so alike yet so different, and I love how their personalities blended, thanks to the powerful and fun setting the author gave to them: an amusement park. The narrative and the atmosphere of the story have a bit of a Western vibe, and it reminds me of the Love Stories and Sweet Dreams books that I've read during my teenage years. Really fun ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
An amusement park, 24-hours, two teens and lots of great fun. What About Today was a sweet and cute short read that makes you realize that a day in an amusement park, hanging out with the son of the owner is actually something I want.

I recommend this if you want something between intense novels, between a series and another; just a perfect funny and enjoyable novella!

Review to come soon on the blog.
Natalie
This was such a quick cute read. Definitely recommend if your looking for some quick fluff.
It's only seven chapters and yet the author manages to craft a believable meet cute i guess i'd call it?

Aiden and Gemma spending the day at his family's amusement park was just adorable and I would love to see more of them, and their budding friendship/relationship :)
Kate (The Bookaholic Blurbs)
Full review over at The Bookaholic Blurbs!

Jen E. Smith meets Kasie West, What About Today is a delightful contemporary that keeps me wanting for more. Nostalgic and fluffy, it's a feel-good story that can easily be everyone's fave!

Thank you Anvil Publishing for sending me a review copy!
 Jera
Light and fun read. It's one of those books that would make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. And make you smile the whole time until you finish reading. It'll make you want to go to an amusement park too. More Aiden and Gemma please! <3
Edz Dondonilla
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was smiling all throughout the final few pages of this book. and that says a lot.❤
Dazzle Labapis
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What About Today will keep you wanting to write the author a private message to get the sequel going! Beautifully written.
Abbie
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-class
What About Today is my 2nd Dawn Lanuza book next to The Last Time I'll Write About You. It's a story of two teenagers trying to enjoy their day at an amusement park. Gemma trying to celebrate her birthday even though she's alone and Aiden trying to escape their office at the amusement part and ignore his brother's orders. They met while Gemma was having second thoughts on trying out the rides. Aiden joked about something that Gemma didn't find funny and so stalked away from him. That's how they ...more
Dawn Lanuza writes contemporary romance, young adult fiction and prose poetry. She has two first loves – music and writing – and is lucky enough to surround herself with them. She currently lives with her family and a very loved cream toy poodle.

She sometimes blogs at dawnlanuza.com.