Start by marking “Wyvern Awakening (Mage Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wyvern Awakening (Mage Chronicles, #1)

Wyvern Awakening

(Mage Chronicles #1)

A Wyvern dragon shifter. Revenge, lies and a deadly magical challenge

When her parents were murdered eleven years ago, leaving her physically scarred during the event, dragon shifter Astri never learned the identity of their killer. That is until he appears to her in a nightmare.

The powerful Duke Jorgen not only rules the city of Rivenna where she lives, he is also resp
Published April 9th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Wyvern Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyvern Awakening

Claire
This review originally appeared on BrizzleLass Books.

As soon as I read that Astri was a dragon shifter I knew I wanted to read this book. You all know by now I’m a sucker for a dragon! This book had far more depth than I was expecting though and while leaning more to the paranormal side than the fantasy as I’d expected it was a gripping read and a book I read in one sitting.

Astri was badly injured when a fire spell backfired as she tried to defend herself against the dragon mage who killed her p
Sherry
Apr 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wanted Astri to be the strong wyvern that she said she was, wanted to believe that she can kick everyone's butt like she said she could....the keyword here was "wanted". Astri falls short, every single time, of being strong. She gets beaten, cheated and hurt, as in a lot. She's all bark and no bite, and I though Sebastian was the bad one mouthing off all the time. Yet when she's strong enough to overpower her opponents, it's just one sentence describing her win. Where's the all powerful wyvern ...more
Runningrabbit
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, skimmed, next-book, ku
Kindle Unlimited 3.5
I've read a lot of Joanna's work so when a new book comes out I usually give it a go. This one doesn't disappoint and I will certainly be on to the next novel, which gladly isn't too far away.

The characters are complex with support characters drawn out in less detail. If you're looking for a romance, that hasn't evolved yet but the novel is heading there.

The plot is nothing new, but the work is well written and definitely worth picking up. The only thing that annoyed me was t
Rains
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cannot-finish
I sadly could not finish this book.
I read the summary and was so excited to enter into this world with Astri. I loved the thought of this strong female character (not to mention the DRAGONS! I LOVE DRAGONS!) who starts from the bottom and claws her way up. But that is not how this book plays out.
It is written like it is meant for middle school children. The drama of the book was immature and I was able to foresee what was going to happen before it was even mentioned or hinted at because of how
Erin
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this one because the premise sounded good, but...

The writing doesn't flow. The world isn't built. The dialogue is stilted. It tells instead of showing. The characters are whiny and annoying.

I actually gritted my teeth and skimmed through the last third because I was hoping it would end up being okay. It wasn't. It's not a good book. I can't suggest it to anyone.
Georgia Cameron
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm all for strong, complicated heroines, but this chick can't make up her mind

Here's my beef: I like strong female leads, especially those who are damaged in some.way and working through it.

This seemed really promising: she's got facial scarring, terrible guardians, self image issues.

But she cannot make up her mind about ANYTHING. First, she's free from her past. Then she isn't. She's convinced she knows who killed her parents. Then she isn't. She thinks she attracted to someone, then she isn't
Jessica Bronder
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
When Astri was young her parents were killed and she was disfigured. She comes to live with her aunt and uncle and has a horrible life. The only thing really keeping her going was thinking about getting revenge on the person that killed her parents. She gets her chance when he holds a contest to become the Lords assistant and she decides to try to win it to get close to him. But then she starts having second thoughts and doubting that he is the one that really killed her parents. Astri also find ...more
Kimmie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That in a word was spectacular! I know it's normally romance books I read, and this is a young adult book was simply amazing. It was so well-written and thought out. Just truly a joy to read so much so as I just got book 2. I had to know what happens next.

This is Astri's story. I felt bad for her haven gone through what she did as a child. And man her Aunt and Uncle deserve to be thrown in jail and the key thrown away. Then there are her welsh fairies oops pixies. Big difference and they will te
Shaly
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
**ARC RECEIVED IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

I really wanted to like Astri, her life has not been an easy one and with family like her aunt and uncle, well they leave much to be desired. They're horrible people. The thing is that while Astri delivered a good game, positive speeches and millions of pep talks, at the end of the day she always failed to deliver. She basically failed at everything, she was such a pathetic creature. She let everyone take advantage of her and never defended hersel
Emma Carlin
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I kept wanting this book to get better but it never did...

I first suspected I was going to be disappointed in the first few pages. The author kept repeating the same information over and over again. I swear it felt like "I started having visions when I moved into my aunt and uncle's house" (paraphrased) was repeated 5-6 times in the first chapter or two.
Additionally, I hate the main character. Her only consistency that she never stands up for herself. Her will is weak and flips around. She also
Angela
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Astri is defined by her scar and it truly holds her back socially for most of her life. She grew up in essentially the same situation Harry Potter grew up. But Harry wasn’t a cool dragon, 21-years-old and completely superficial. So much potential, but I felt like this book was made for tweens. It lacked world-building and descriptions. The writing style and dialogue was extremely simple, and Astri’s wish-washy, slow thought process was extremely frustrating.

If you believe you found the person wh
SJ
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love received a free copy of this book and voluntarily decided to review it

This is an exciting tale about Astri, a wyvern shifter who was disfigured when her parents were killed

She is shunned and ridiculed all her life because of her disfigurement and wants to get her own back on the person who inflicted her injury and killed her parents. She soon gets the chance to fulfil her wish

The story is extremely well written, different to anything else I have read, the author draws you in to this mysti
Crystal
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First book in a series and I can’t wait to read the next one.
One of the best books I’ve read this year. This is one of those books that when you start reading it, you can’t put it down.
She’s the last of her kind.
Astri is injured in an attack that killed her parents when she was a child and moved in with relatives that are humans. Her relatives were so mean that she was forced to live in the basement because of her screaming from the nightmares. She also had to come up with money to pay her un
Samantha Turley
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
For a fantasy tale, this was a good sized book and it was a very fast paced read in addition to it. It kept me wanting to continue, it was fun and addictive. There wasn’t any time to have my mind wandering. From the get go, there was lots of things happening at once.

C. Gonzales
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
This was a good sized book and it was a very fast paced read in addition to it. It kept me wanting to continue, it was fun and addictive. There wasn't any time to have my mind wandering. From the get go, there was lots of things happening at once.

The writing style was simple and the narration was easy to follow. The imagery had me immersed in the realm introduced by the author. The characters were rich and well portrayed. The smooth flow of the tale kept me stable even through the surprising tw
Fiona Padmore
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of the book and am voluntarily leaving this honest review.

I love starting a new series especially when the authors words hold me tightly in their grasp with scenes I can only imagine and characters to adore.

Astri has not had a happy upbringing since becoming an orphan and appears weak willed at times and stronger at other times. We follow Astri throughout the story as she faces challenges she must overcome to reach her desired outcome but is it the right choice.

Yo
Bailey Ember
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I liked the diversity and originality of this novel.

Believeable and Relatable characters really help to captivate the reader and get them invested in the happenings of this story.

This was a great start to the series, a lot of backstory needed and had to understand a lot as with a lot of first in series, but I am excited to see where it goes next.

I really enjoyed the pacing and how it was steady throughout. It is fast paced and doesn't let up and didn't have moments that dragged. It made for a
Kasey
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was very repetitive. If I heard she was a strong Wyvern one more time. But she never showed it. Maybe in the latter books but not in this one.

Other times there were sentences repeated a few pages later. It seemed all over the place. She was leaving the house at eight, then you got a huge backstory, then she was again leaving the house at eight. I found it hard to follow at times.

I think this book seems to be aimed at a younger audience. Not like the others in the anthology I'm reading. Ev
Chris S
Dec 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
well thats a case of dnf ......
first thing is ... she talks how strong she is, that she doesnt care about her aunt and uncle, and that she wants to take revenge....... (view spoiler)
The writing style is pretty simple and the plot is obvious after the first few chapters.
I thought i could finish it but at 67% i just couldnt do it an
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
*I received an ecopy from the author through Reading Addictions Book Tours for review, this is my honest review*

A fun fantasy read about dragon/wyvern shifters, and an uneasy reliance with humans. Astri's parents were killed years earlier, and ever since she has dreamed of that night. Only this time she finally remembers the face of their killer...But he's much more powerful that she could have guessed! An interesting take on dragons and shapeshifters following the story of Astri and friends to
Nicole Bates
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great adventure!

4 stars because I like the adventure. This book had a strong female heroine. Her life, that she can remember, begins when her parents are killed at 10. She has lost her memories of the life before them and has been raised by an awful aunt and uncle who never claimed her. The story is a true underdog story. She will rise, but at what cost? And who is behind her parents death? That's what she'd like to know
Maureen Hoar
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

The beginning of this book was tough to get into. Astri is laden with self pity and self loathing. She is hard to root for. There is a lot of repetitive sentences and needless repeating of her pity party. Once she has a goal the story takes off. I want to read the rest of her story now. She grows into a more confident young lady. She does have a bit of a revenge agenda that causes her to make bad decisions. It will be interesting to see where she goes from here.
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Gave up reading this at only 5% in. So sick of the reiteration of her background. It’s like an insult to the readers intelligence that the writer feels the need to repeat what was written only a paragraph ago. Either she thinks her readers aren’t capable of retaining information or she just kept repeating it to pad out the pages. I’m guessing that the story would be pretty thin without it. Terrible writing, no editing, and all-round just tripe.
T.
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebies
I downloaded Wyvern Awakening as a free book from Amazon. A slow start for me, but the storyline strengthened as the plot progressed. Many things were predictable, so there was a lack of tension, but the main character, Astri, was interesting. I liked the ending, which is a cliffhanger, but well done.
melissa thompson,
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unique story

I really liked this story the main character had depth. Astri and her two adopted pixies live with her vicious aunt and uncle after being scarred and orphaned as a child. Astri leaves her home and job to compete for the Lords assistant. I found this book unique and fun to read will definitely be reading book 2.
Fiona Andrew
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a story. Poor Astri is living with her horrible aunt and uncle, when opportunity is given to her to change her circumstances and become the Duke's assistant. Can she overcome her disability or will the opportunity slip into through her fingers. Totally enjoyed this book. Looking forward to the next book.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A young Wyvern dragon shifter lives in the basement of the home of her human aunt and uncle who took her in when her mother and father were murdered when she was only eleven years old. They put her in the basement after she started keeping them awake with the nightmares she has of the murder of her parents.

Astri’s aunt and uncle are cruel to her. They treat her as if she is a servant and not family. Astri was injured by the killer and left scarred so her aunt and uncle didn’t want people to kno
Philip Jones
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just finished took me a while to get into this book

This book took me a while to get into kept stopping and reading other books finished it today in one last reading and finally got into the story will be reading more to see what development in the continuing story.
Cristine Hand
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it! Wyvern Awakening kept me reading wanting more. Astri is a strong female characters out for revenge for her parents murder. Mystery suspense and some action with twists and turns. I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.
Christy deSade
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Immature

Astri's reactions, thought processes and speech were all better suited to a teenager rather than a 21 year old. The editing was spotty and the story was all "tell" with almost no "show".
  • Unus (Stone Mage Saga Book 1)
  • New Breed (Dragon's Fire, #1)
  • Apocalypse Happens (Phoenix Chronicles, #3)
  • Blood and Snow: Omnibus: Every Book and Short Story in the Blood and Snow World
  • Twiceborn (The Proving #1)
  • To Love a Highland Dragon (Dragon Lore, #2)
  • Gabriella, The Tale of a Misfit Fairy
  • Stray Magic (Strays, #1)
  • Shadow of the Wolf (Darkness Unleashed, #1)
  • Things Unseen (A Long-Forgotten Song, #1)
  • The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange, #1)
  • Grimm: Aunt Marie's Book of Lore
  • Muse
Joanna Mazurkiewicz was born in Poland. She moved to United Kingdom when she was only nineteen and just finished high school. She had aspired to be a writer upon completion of the Harry Potter series but also enjoyed reading books like ‘Gone with the Wind’, ’Animal Farm’ and ‘The doll’. She graduated from Swansea University with a bachelor degree in American Studies. While studying in the UK she m ...more

Mage Chronicles (4 books)
  • Wyvern's Secret (Mage Chronicles, #2)
  • Wyvern's Passion (Mage Chronicles, #3)
  • Wyvern's Destiny (Mage Chronicles, #4)