Start by marking “Dead Trees Give No Shelter” as Want to Read:
Dead Trees Give No Shelter

Dead Trees Give No Shelter

Jay Turner is a broken and lonely man who has been adrift since his brother’s murder when they were children. Now, after twenty years away, Jay has come back to his hometown of Garron, Ohio, to uncover the truth about his brother’s death.
ebook, First Edition, 40 pages
Published April 2nd 2017 by Monolith Press

To ask other readers questions about Dead Trees Give No Shelter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Trees Give No Shelter

Start your review of Dead Trees Give No Shelter
Bradley
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2018-shelf
This is a perfect story to read for Halloween. Part slasher, a feeling of King, and more than a few references to Scream, Wil Wheaton pulls off a traditional monster tale of a town with a dark secret.

Yes, that's right. Wil himself wrote and made an audiobook with his own perfect audio-voice. :)

I was thinking of American Gods when I read this, too. :) Yep. Quite decent. :) Traditional novella, even. :) I'm glad I got to read it. :)
Robin Bonne
Whoa. This novella has a dark ending that was quite chilling.
A man returns home for the execution of his little brother’s murderer. He grieves, and in his grief, he starts to uncover something sinister.
Wil Wheaton is my favorite audiobook narrator, so I listened to him reading this one.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
4.0 Stars
Dark and depressing, this was an excellent piece of horror short fiction. The ending was a bit unbelievable, yet I still thoroughly enjoyed the story as a whole. I listened to the audiobook version, which was a fantastic because the story was narrated by the author, Wil Wheaton.
Yodamom
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick and scary from beginning to end. I enjoyed this nightmarish novella, it was perfect for my Halloween themed read, and the narration was perfect.
Trish
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick but still quite disconcerting read.

We start with following a young man who apparently witnessed something terrible happening to his baby brother when he was just a kid. He watches the execution of his brother's supposed murderer before going back to where it all began ... seeing his mother, the town, coming to terms with his life derailing because of the trauma ... confronting something.

As my literature teacher once said: the shorter the story, the more important every single w
Jane
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't my usual sort of reading material, but I found myself caught up in it pretty quickly. I got yoinked out of the story a couple of times by timelines that seemed off to me somehow and made me have to scramble back to figure out what was what.

Overall, though, I really liked the characters and found myself caring about them even though it was such a short format -- that takes some mad skills. By the end of the story I was wishing it was a full novel because I wanted to know more about th
Amber
This was a pretty good audiobook narrated and written by Wil Wheaton about this man named Jay who comes back to his hometown of Garron Indiana to see his mother and find out the truth of how his brother Charlie really died. If you like thrillers and short stories, be sure to check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Latasha
Well this was a good one! I thought I knew where this short story was going but nope, it kept twisting and turning. I liked that! Jay returns home after his brother's murder's execution. His mother never recovered from Charlie's death. She has been in a mental institution since it happened. Jay goes to visit her while he's in town and she starts saying crazy things. He begins to dig into the past to uncover the truth about his brother's death.
I borrowed this from Overdrive and it was a little u
Jessie
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Solid. Damn you, Wil Wheaton! I want more story!
Michelle
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2018
I had no idea that Wil Wheaton had published this, so was thrilled to read something by him. I don't normally go for novellas or short stories. Kindle app says this was 55 pages. It was worth getting. At times it was a little predictable, but not in a bad way. I really feel like this could have been fleshed out into a full length novel. I'm curious about this creature. I'm curious about this town. And I'm kind of curious how they go about making deals with the creature and work out the arrangeme ...more
Miya
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a very fun, relatively short read that I ended up saving until bedtime before delving into (reading in the dark is really the best setting to enjoy a horror story). The characters are believable and sympathetic, and the writing is very well done.

(view spoiler)
Erica
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
as much as I love 's Wil Wheaton's work I hesitated to pick this up b/c I'm not a huge fan of horror. Who am I kidding, I don't like to be scared, so I generally don't read and I especially don't watch it.
I purchased the audio version off bandcamp and gave it a whirl, and was delightfully surprised with the story. It was creepy and terrible- but in the best way possible. thought in my head after I finished it was, "Wow, that was really messed up.." Wil's reading of the story, takes it up a notch
Adam Sockel
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short story is a master class in horror. The end is somewhat predictable but that doesn’t make it any less impactful and shocking.
Shorty
Fantastic novella. Seriously creepy vibes, and the ending had me staring at the iPad with my eyes wide open, and my mind saying 😱😱😱.
Will Wheaton wrote this novella, and it’s very good. I hope Wheaton writes much more novels, and sticks to the horror genre, too! He’s very good at it, and people really seem to love it here at gr.
The audiobook was read by Will Wheaton himself, and he is brilliant at narration! I hope Wheaton narrates many more novels, not just his own. Bravo, dude...!
This novel wa
Regina Black
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cool little horror story. I listened to the audio book narrated by Wil Wheaton.
Christian
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Jay has come back to the small town he grew up in order to witness the execution of the man arrested for the murder of his brother. In doing so he needs to confront the night he watched his brother die, and learn the dark truth of the town he lived in.

This is surprisingly good. I listened to it because Will Wheaton wrote and narrated it, and because it was free. I didn't expect a lot, but Wheaton does a good job of portraying the feeling of a lost innocence and inability to move past the trauma
Natasha
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4/5 Stars

Plot: 20 years later Jay Turner returns to his hometown to learn the truth about his brothers death.

YES WIL WHEATON! This was such a good classic horror/thriller short story. Just a good monster book. It kind of reminds me of a more adult goosebumps book. I really enjoyed reading it. I know its quite early in the year but would definitely recommend reading for Halloween.
Marcus
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished it in one evening, because I wanted to know how it would end. I could really feel the pain and the confusion of the main character as he slowly stumbles upon the truth of what happened. It's not a long story but the writing is well done.
Drea Kreth
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Bought it because I was curious about how well this actor I've watched my whole life could write. Seems like Mr. Wheaton has another career to pursue if he is tired of acting. This story was amazing! Suspenseful with a great twist at the end.
Katrine Austin
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story on audio, enjoyable enough on the commute to/from work. Wheaton continues to be a top notch voice actor, this time for his own work. The story itself was a little hard to follow at first but it came together in the end like a Brothers Grimm story.
Dan Thomas
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it.

Wil Wheaton can write. It was only 50 or so pages, but I couldn't stop reading until it was finished. It was as creepy as a Stephen King short story. I'm very impressed, and will read more from Wil in the future.
Laura Buechler
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Creepy and fun! Great atmosphere and a scary read. I'll be looking over my shoulder all day now!
Jenifer Jacobs
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary and well written horror novella from the terrific Wil Wheaton. After listening to Ready Player One several times, is it crazy I "heard" it in his voice in my head?
Dylan
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good for a novella!
Megan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Very interesting short story
April
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but so short - it needs to be with more stories in a collection.
Kelly Wells
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hoooooooo boy this is a perfect short story! I had no idea Wil Wheaton was such a great writer - and narrator as well. Well done, sir.
Magali
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2019
A pretty good novella. The story was interesting, played with some classic horror tropes and did it pretty well. I liked the character and wanted him to evolve. I really would have liked it as a full novel, I felt it was a little short, I would have liked spending more time with it... But it also was good as a novella, with a good rythm and just the infos we needed. I had never read anything (other than blog posts) by Wil Wheaton and will be reading his work again, it made me want to discover mo ...more
Essi🦄
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wheaton is a great storyteller,and I really enjoyed listening to this novella. The story is pretty dark,especially the ending,which took me completely by surprise.
I really recommend this one. Especially the audiobook,narrated by Wheaton himself.
Mel Usack
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5+ A nice, creepy novelette
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Suspect Zero
  • Fruset guld (Rönning Stilton, #6)
  • Wonderland
  • Dead Pig Collector
  • The Wise Friend
  • Allotted Time: Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea
  • Dentro del muro
  • Északról hegy, délről tó, nyugatról hegyek, keletről folyó
  • The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays
  • Manual para corregir adultos malcriados
  • Carte Blanche
  • Highfire
  • Darling
  • Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters
  • Creature
  • No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)
  • The Loop (The Loop Trilogy, #1)
  • Clown in a Cornfield
Wil Wheaton began acting in commercials at the age of seven, and by the age of ten had appeared in numerous television and film roles. In 1986, his critically acclaimed role in Rob Reiner’s Stand By Me put him in the public spotlight, where he remains to this day. In 1987, Wil was cast as Wesley Crusher in the hit television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. Recently, Wil has held recurring r ...more

Articles featuring this book

Famous people! Are they really just like us? In the case of these individuals, the answer is a resounding yes when it comes to loving...