Start by marking “Dead Trees Give No Shelter” as Want to Read:
Dead Trees Give No Shelter

Dead Trees Give No Shelter

Jay Turner is a broken and lonely man who has been adrift since his brother’s murder when they were children. Now, after twenty years away, Jay has come back to his hometown of Garron, Ohio, to uncover the truth about his brother’s death.
ebook, First Edition, 40 pages
Published April 2nd 2017 by Monolith Press

To ask other readers questions about Dead Trees Give No Shelter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Trees Give No Shelter

Bradley
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-shelf, horror
This is a perfect story to read for Halloween. Part slasher, a feeling of King, and more than a few references to Scream, Wil Wheaton pulls off a traditional monster tale of a town with a dark secret.

Yes, that's right. Wil himself wrote and made an audiobook with his own perfect audio-voice. :)

I was thinking of American Gods when I read this, too. :) Yep. Quite decent. :) Traditional novella, even. :) I'm glad I got to read it. :)
Robin Bonne
Whoa. This novella has a dark ending that was quite chilling.
A man returns home for the execution of his little brother’s murderer. He grieves, and in his grief, he starts to uncover something sinister.
Wil Wheaton is my favorite audiobook narrator, so I listened to him reading this one.
Yodamom
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick and scary from beginning to end. I enjoyed this nightmarish novella, it was perfect for my Halloween themed read, and the narration was perfect.
Trish
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick but still quite disconcerting read.

We start with following a young man who apparently witnessed something terrible happening to his baby brother when he was just a kid. He watches the execution of his brother's supposed murderer before going back to where it all began ... seeing his mother, the town, coming to terms with his life derailing because of the trauma ... confronting something.

As my literature teacher once said: the shorter the story, the more important every single w
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
4.0 Stars
Dark and depressing, this was an excellent piece of horror short fiction. The ending was a bit unbelievable, yet I still thoroughly enjoyed the story as a whole. I listened to the audiobook version, which was a fantastic because the story was narrated by the author, Wil Wheaton.
Jane
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't my usual sort of reading material, but I found myself caught up in it pretty quickly. I got yoinked out of the story a couple of times by timelines that seemed off to me somehow and made me have to scramble back to figure out what was what.

Overall, though, I really liked the characters and found myself caring about them even though it was such a short format -- that takes some mad skills. By the end of the story I was wishing it was a full novel because I wanted to know more about th
Adam Sockel
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short story is a master class in horror. The end is somewhat predictable but that doesn’t make it any less impactful and shocking.
Dylan
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-books-read
This was pretty good for a novella!
Regina Black
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cool little horror story. I listened to the audio book narrated by Wil Wheaton.
Miya
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a very fun, relatively short read that I ended up saving until bedtime before delving into (reading in the dark is really the best setting to enjoy a horror story). The characters are believable and sympathetic, and the writing is very well done.

(view spoiler)
Christian
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Jay has come back to the small town he grew up in order to witness the execution of the man arrested for the murder of his brother. In doing so he needs to confront the night he watched his brother die, and learn the dark truth of the town he lived in.

This is surprisingly good. I listened to it because Will Wheaton wrote and narrated it, and because it was free. I didn't expect a lot, but Wheaton does a good job of portraying the feeling of a lost innocence and inability to move past the trauma
Erica
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
as much as I love 's Wil Wheaton's work I hesitated to pick this up b/c I'm not a huge fan of horror. Who am I kidding, I don't like to be scared, so I generally don't read and I especially don't watch it.
I purchased the audio version off bandcamp and gave it a whirl, and was delightfully surprised with the story. It was creepy and terrible- but in the best way possible. thought in my head after I finished it was, "Wow, that was really messed up.." Wil's reading of the story, takes it up a notch
Katrine Austin
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short story on audio, enjoyable enough on the commute to/from work. Wheaton continues to be a top notch voice actor, this time for his own work. The story itself was a little hard to follow at first but it came together in the end like a Brothers Grimm story.
Drea Kreth
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Bought it because I was curious about how well this actor I've watched my whole life could write. Seems like Mr. Wheaton has another career to pursue if he is tired of acting. This story was amazing! Suspenseful with a great twist at the end.
Marcus
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished it in one evening, because I wanted to know how it would end. I could really feel the pain and the confusion of the main character as he slowly stumbles upon the truth of what happened. It's not a long story but the writing is well done.
Megan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting short story
Kelly Wells
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hoooooooo boy this is a perfect short story! I had no idea Wil Wheaton was such a great writer - and narrator as well. Well done, sir.
April
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but so short - it needs to be with more stories in a collection.
Jenifer Jacobs
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary and well written horror novella from the terrific Wil Wheaton. After listening to Ready Player One several times, is it crazy I "heard" it in his voice in my head?
Laura Buechler
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Creepy and fun! Great atmosphere and a scary read. I'll be looking over my shoulder all day now!
Amy Softa
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure time, I’m a Trekkie and a fan of Wil Wheaton. Mr. Wheaton mentioned this short story he wrote in a YouTube video the other day and being a bookish person decided I needed to check into it. I decided to buy a copy and went into reading it with great trepidation. I’m a fan but the book is not of a genre I typically enjoy.

Decided to dive in this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. Mr. Wheaton has talent. Of course, he writes all the time on his website but crafting a story is di
Amanda Mann *Rabid Readers Book Blog*
This review is based off the audiobook.

This is the first I've read/listened to from this author and it definitely will not be the last. I also just realized/put together that he's actually an actor I know as well. Huh, mind=blown. I did not realize that when I picked out the audiobook, I just thought it sounded interesting.

This book was short, the audiobook only being a little over an hour long, but it was such an incredible story that days could have passed and I wouldn't have realized it. Fr
Steve Archer
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Miranda Boyer
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning of this novelette, DEAD TREES GIVE NO SHELTER, darkness, twisty feelings, and a heart gripping story unfolds. A little taste of horror from one of my favorite people, Wil Wheaton, author, and narrator.

Jay Turner watches the execution of the man arrested for the murder of his little brother. He's been drifting through life, unhappy, haunted, and drunk, since Charlie's murder when they were children. After twenty years, Jay goes back to his hometown in an attempt to learn and ma
Jonny Mullan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A full 5 stars for this chilling thriller.

Beautiful. Flawlessly beautiful.

I think Wil Wheaton is hilarious. I watch his web-series Tabletop and I really wanted to check out one of his novels. The BookTube-A-Thon came around and I picked it up thinking it would be a quick read. Quick, indeed. I flew through it in a matter of hours.

It wasn't until the ending that I realised how incredible this actually was. The conclusion to this novel was crafted with mastery. I almost wept at how heart-breakin
Michelle
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, horror
I had no idea that Wil Wheaton had published this, so was thrilled to read something by him. I don't normally go for novellas or short stories. Kindle app says this was 55 pages. It was worth getting. At times it was a little predictable, but not in a bad way. I really feel like this could have been fleshed out into a full length novel. I'm curious about this creature. I'm curious about this town. And I'm kind of curious how they go about making deals with the creature and work out the arrangeme ...more
Shannon
Stephen Gower
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick but very enjoyable read. Wil Wheaton created a moody atmosphere and did a really good job of "hiding the monster" until it needed to come out of hiding. The story has a certain symmetry to it as well. At one point when I was reading it, I was listening to the E.T. soundtrack, which perfectly fit the tone that I think Wheaton was aiming for. There were some instances where the dialog didn't work for me, but it wasn't enough to make me give up reading in disgust. Solid read - pick it up af ...more
Scott
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Writer Who Is Well on His Way

Mr. Wheaton has storytelling in his blood. He builds a fleshed-out world in your mind and establishes a mood with an economy of words. His pacing will make you inhale the story in a single sitting, and the plot twist at the end will have you nodding your head with appreciation. This is a campers' ghost story in the best sense. More people should download this novella, and note well the craft that will make his upcoming, full-length novel a gripping read.
Corey Dutson
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
What a fun little story I'm actually a bit upset that it was as short as it was. I wanted more lore, more intrigue, but that's not how things go...is it?

There's an impressive amount of world and character-building going on within this little novelette. The characters feel remarkably flushed out given you barely get to know them.

My only legitimate complaint is that the pacing feels a bit rushed at the end. Another chapter or two to space out some of the twists would really help this story out.
Around the Year i...: Dead Trees Give No Shelter, by Wil Wheaton 3 10 Oct 30, 2018 07:15PM
  • Muse of Fire
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Doctor Who: The Twin Dilemma
  • When Darkness Loves Us
  • Barren Cove: A Novel
  • Die Suche beginnt (Die Chroniken der Seelenwächter, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos
  • Scarecrow
  • Peter Pan: The Complete Collection (Illustrated, Unabridged) 5 Books Peter & Wendy, The Little White Bird, Peter in Kensington Gardens, Sentimental Tommy, Courage
  • The Cattle Conundrum (Jameson Quinn Mysteries #2)
  • Polynia
Wil Wheaton began acting in commercials at the age of seven, and by the age of ten had appeared in numerous television and film roles. In 1986, his critically acclaimed role in Rob Reiner’s Stand By Me put him in the public spotlight, where he remains to this day. In 1987, Wil was cast as Wesley Crusher in the hit television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. Recently, Wil has held recurring r ...more