Start by marking “John Stone: The Hard Kill: The Hard Core Origin 1 of 4” as Want to Read:
John Stone: The Hard Kill: The Hard Core Origin 1 of 4

John Stone: The Hard Kill: The Hard Core Origin 1 of 4

(John Stone #1)

Retired Army Ranger John Stone has settled into his life as a bar owner in Great Falls, Montana. But news about the death of one of his brothers-in-arms and the kidnapping of his goddaughter shakes his world apart. John learns the murder and abduction might involve the ex-wife of his fallen brother, and a prototype technology that could threaten the security of the free wo ...more
Published April 1st 2017 by Action House

Sean Peters
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first book by the Manning Brothers, not my last.

A action packed action thriller, a thriller that gets into the action in the first chapter and does not stop.

A new action hero in John Stone.

michael fissori
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book

These guys knocked it out of the park. It's a fast paced exciting read. It reads like all action movies should be. Ill be reading all their books.
Reading about the authors was also great. They write from a mind set all action junkies can relate to. I'm pumped to keep reading.
luayne
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW

None stop action. Had to read some paragraphs twice in order to comprehend the scenes. Action is extremely well choreographed. Looking forward to the capture of Ratcliff. Wide variety of weapons. Will need to look them up to know more about them. WOW!!!! The twelve year old's actions were a bit too mature, still a great read.
John
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Stone is a BAD MAN !!

The Hard Kill, and the character John Stone, reminds me of the Execution Series of old. Stone is a former well trained soldier bent on doing what ever is necessary to retrieve his god daughter from trained killers. THEY WILL PAY A STEEP PRICE! The story rated 5 stars but it desperately needs an editor! But despite that, I'll definitely purchase the next in the series!
bonnie kirchner
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hard Kill

This is the first book in this series and I will say it was a very good thriller. It is a very exciting book. You won't want to put this book down until you get to the end. I recommend this book.
stuart mckie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed every minute of it

A constantly moving story which doesn't let up. A story line which sucks you in emotionally and provides the required adrenaline rush.. first time I've come across John Stone... have already ordered book 2.
R.Ethiraj
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ha. Non stop action by an another Mitch Rapp.you can't put down till you turn into the last page. If you schedule of something in between you may not lay your heart on that. Such a speedy narration .I will go for all the instalments and I love the character of Stone . Try him you will not get disappointed

The story starts a bang and not a page is dull. You are hooked till you see the last but it doesn't end there as the main villain escaped leads to its follow up with more instalments with more
James S. Butler
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stone

Interesting man, John Stone, ranger, nice storyline, kind of fast paced, makes for a good read that stays on point.
I Sawkins
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping

I loved this book from start to finish.
It was very engrossing and impossible to put down.
Another author to put on my list of favourites.
Wancket Enterprises
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great

Rough and tumble book filled with action and danger. Stone is a mountain of man both literally and figuratively. A hero and exciting character. More please Mr. Manning!!
Teresa J. Pugh
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best action adventure that I’ve read, a lot like Jack Reacher. Enjoyed it!
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
A hard read

I personally do not enjoy reading about one person taking on a whole squad of bad guys and defeats them single handed.
Bernie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hard Kill review

The Hard Kill is the first fast-paced book in the John Stone Action Thriller series written by the Manning Brothers.
Robert Browning
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is so very enjoyable. I really enjoyed this thriller and read turning the pages to see what was going to develop next and so loved John Stone “a new hero” and glad to see that more books to follow!
The story starts with a bang with Frank Colt a separated father trying to save his 12 year old daughter from intruders carrying out a hit on his home. He is eventually overcome and killed after seeing off most of the intruders and his daughter Emily taken as leverage against Jenifer Dawson he
Karen
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The godfather

This KU library selection is a quick, exciting read, one that kept me fully engaged from the opening scene to the end. John Stone is a retired Army Ranger who gets word his best friend has been murdered and his 12 year old daughter, John's goddaughter, taken. John takes immediate action to find the man behind the attack, and leaves a trail of mercenaries in his wake. He's 270 pounds of angry and he lets nothing stand in his way. Hopefully there will be more of John Stone in the futu
Karen  Clagett
May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Writers With Potential

While the story is right up my alley; fast paced, post or paramilitary, CIA, FBI,bad guys, white hats, cyber security oh and 6 foot and 200+ plus pounds of highly trained muscled good guys saving the world. A story not written in first person is boring and wordy. Drop the "Mr. Gordon", for a smoother read after the character introduction just " Gordon". I might read another of the books to see if the writing style has stayed consistent or has changed up any.
Natasha Isaacs
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First book

This is the first book I have read by this author and I found it because of my recommendation of past reading. I can get behind John Stone. I always like a good guy that is rough and gets a job done anyway he can. Plus John has a heart and saved his God Daughter good guy.
Mike Reagan
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the ‘about the author’

I was going to give this three stars because the whole time I was reading it, all I could see was Arnold in Commando. Then, in the end, the author explained that he loves action movies and wanted to make an updated story with them in mind.

I wish I knew that going in, because it really was a fun read.
Jeanne
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast moving non-stop action

The story is fairly run-of-the-mill for this sort of book, but it does keep you pinned to the page, waiting to see what happens next.
There are some aggravating grammar issues. These, for me, detract from the story and cause me to lose focus. Someone needs to do a better job of proof reading.
Nancy Walker
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in a few hours. A page-turner. The MC -John Stone is ex-military out on a mission to save a loved one. I was rooting for him and his family throughout the entire read. Well-written. I prefer not to go into any more detail because I don't post spoilers. I hope the author continues a series of John Stone books.
Catherine Martin
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love John Stone!!!

This is a tremendous beginning of (what I hope) will be a LONG SERIES of even more terrific John Stone books! Loved it, this was a really quick read, and one that I didn’t want to put down because I kept wondering what was about to happen ;>} you owe me some sleep!!
I can’t wait to read more in the series.
Jessica N.
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Attention getter

Absolutely kept my attention.
I like that the story moved quickly, matter of days, so there was no lull or down time.
Definitely written like an action movie.
My only negative regarding the story is the songs listed at the beginning of each chapter.
I thought it was distracting so I eventually ignored it.
Randy Ramsey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Good but not super

I enjoyed the characters and the story for the most part. What was missing for me was that extra set of adversity and challenge for Stone to overcome as he saved the world. Everything just seemed to go too smoothly for him having no plan.
Ramona
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lightning fast

Action from the first page, to the last. Not overly wordy, intense, brutal recovery of a kidnapped young girl. John's goddaughter is taken, and he will get her back, no matter what. Really snappy, engaging read.
WILLIAM COTTRELL
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Far too many errors.

Turned me off quickly with FAR too many discrepancies. Get a GOOD editor and learn how to write a car better story line without ten thousand dollar shoes, desert eagle handguns, and diesel trucks that blow up from gasoline.
Richard
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One man fighting machine

Good story line and good character development. The story has a good line development. The battles hard some detail which carried over from military background. Good reading for the good guys.
Larry
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good action book.

This is an introduction to indestructible man of action named John Stone. Nothing phases him, not guns, bullets, or knives. There are no slow spots in this book at all. It is an easy read and I will probably read the rest of the series.
Lawrence H Cooper
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
New author for me

The beginning of The Hard Kill was very basic and I figured it was the Manning Brother’s first novel. It was definitely action packed and enjoyable. I liked John Stone and am looking forward to his next adventure. Dr. C 😊🎊🎉
John Shearer
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Hard Kill (1)

This was a good read. The story was one of quick response to a little girl in trouble, and then the action started and never stopped. This is a nice way to be saved.
Irene Thouin
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very action packed!

Amazon recommended this book from previous books I've read and I am gl as d they did. I enjoyed reading The John Stone Book 1.
Couldn't put it down! I will be reading book 2 now and I am sure that it will be just as griping.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Correct Author Name Please (3 books in series) 2 15 Jun 13, 2017 06:05AM

• The Fallen (The Eliminator #1)
  • The Life & Death Of Cody Parker (Tanner #5)
  • Offer of Revenge (David Rivers #2)
  • A Harvest of Blood (Omega #5)
  • The Broken Chase: A Chase Fulton Novel (Chase Fulton Novels Book 2)
  • BAD DEEDS (A Dylan Hunter Justice Thriller, #2)
  • The Victor (Black Force Shorts #1)
  • The Thousand Dollar Man: Introducing Colt Ryder - One Man, One Mission, No Rules (Colt Ryder #1)
  • Sins Of The Father (Corps Justice #14)
  • King's Reign (Xander King #4)
  • Rules of Engagement (Blake Jordan #4)
  • Into The Darkness (Mitch Tanner Book 2)
  • The Team (The Team #1)
  • But Not Forbidden (Clint Wolf Mystery #6)
Allen Manning grew up in Las Vegas, raised on a steady diet of Saturday morning cartoons, video games, and tons of action movies. He also became a fan of fiction books while he was young, reading science fiction and fantasy adventure stories.

Now, he writes together with his twin brother, Brian Manning, to create fast-paced thriller books, filled with quippy dialogue and action movie inspired seque

John Stone (5 books)
  • Divide and Conquer (John Stone #2)
  • Fractured Allegiance (John Stone #3)
  • Head of the Serpent (John Stone #4)
  • The Hard Core (John Stone #5)