Start by marking “Murder for Nothing” as Want to Read:
Murder for Nothing

Murder for Nothing

(Ellie Quicke #18)

No good deed goes unpunished, as Ellie Quicke finds out in this engaging and entertaining mystery.

Ellie Quicke believes in helping people in trouble. But it would appear that her latest good deed has returned to bite her when she takes in a weeping girl who needs somewhere to stay. Selfish, thoughtless and irresponsible, Angelica is by no means the easiest of house
Published November 1st 2017 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Murder for Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder for Nothing

Start your review of Murder for Nothing
Betty
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, e-books
This is the first Ellie Quicke book I have read. I was able to follow the story as there are several individuals introduced. I found it hard to rate and finally gave it to 5 stars. It is really only 4.5 stars as there are so many negative characters. I thought the ringing telephones and doorbell was overdone. It gave Ellie an appearance of dithering person and I didn't get that from Ellie other actions.
Lesley and her newly wedded husband, Andy's flat is trashed when a Rave party was held there
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: genteel cozy lovers
I have always enjoyed author Veronica Heleys clever businesswoman Bea Abbott more than beleaguered widow Ellie Quicke. Ellie has come far in the series, considered how spineless she was in the debut Murder at the Altar; however, shes still dominated by her selfish, amoral daughter and pushed around others as well. Reading novels from each series back to back reminded me how much I prefer Bea Abbott.

That said, I did enjoy Murder for Nothing. Softhearted Ellie Quicke opened her big home to the
Damaskcat
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley.

Ellie Quicke finds that good deeds sometimes come back to bite you. She offered Angelica a temporary home when the weeping girl turned up on her doorstep but she soon finds that Angelica is very far from being the ideal house guest. Angelica hosts a party which results in a dead body being found in the garden, plunging Ellie and her household into a situation that is likely to prove more dangerous than any of them can handle.

This well written
Lghiggins
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book for me to read in Veronica Heleys Ellie Quicke Mysteries, and I am sold on the series. Perhaps it is a reflection of my own age, but I like that Ellie Quicke, the main character, is a grandmother and she solves crimes using her brain rather than a lot of running around. I like that she is unabashedly a woman of faith, but does not see herself as perfect, nor is she a prude. She displays courage and insight.

The other characters in the book are what I would call a mixed
Catherine
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first Ellie Quicke mystery I have read. My initial impression was not favourable. It seemed slow moving with too much dialogue, not enough action, and some really unpleasant characters. There was the bullying, boorish husband of a recent bride who was suffering a miscarriage; a manipulative, deceitful, opportunistic girl; a spoilt daughter taking her mother for granted; even the toddler seemed a brat. In the middle of these, Ellie appeared put-upon and lacking in backbone.
It was only
Audrey Chan
Nov 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love following Ellie Quicke solving murders but helping a "friend" who threw a party that got out of hand resulting in a discovery of a dead body was so incredulous. The "friend" imposing on Ellie was a "piece of work," yet Ellie let herself be taken advantage of. And, Ellie acting stupidly on page 181: "She bent over, licked her finger and rubbed at the dark stain. And tasted it." Really jumped the shark here. Hard to believe Ellie or anyone would do that, taste something unknown or what ...more
Hannelore Cheney
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Severn House for the eARC.
Unfortunately, I didn't much like this book. It was way too hectic with many unpleasant characters. Ellie Quick is bullied by her nasty daughter, who is never happy with the way Ellie looks after her grandson, yet constantly dropping him off for babysitting. A girl she's helping out by letting her stay is absolutely obnoxious. She is a spoilt, lying, manipulating user and I couldn't understand why she wasn't kicked out the very first day she
Suzi
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I have been reading this series for years and years. I put this one down after I started it because it was too intense. Diana's bratty child's tantrum opens the book. I finally picked the book up again and read the last 50 pages and the kid was still as awful as ever. A little of Diana and the brat is enough. I probably won't pick up another Ellie Quicke.
Laurie Beemer
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
For some reason I just could not get into this book. I absolutely hated Angelica and that might have been why I had such trouble. To me this book how so much going on with it that it was hard to know who was what.

Thank you NetGalley and Veronica Heley for allowing me to read and give an honest review of this book.
Vicki O.
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Looking for something new to read and searched Veronica Heley. Wow, she had a new Ellie Quicke mystery coming out in a day or two. Downloaded it on Nov. I and this morning I'm done. There's always a lot going on in Ellie's life and I always enjoy how Ellie handles the situated and the people. I highly recommend these cozies.
Beverly
A humorous who done it with an older motherly type woman as the sleuth. Enjoyable read. ...more
Liisa
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fully satisfying....
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The eighteenth Elle Quicke mystery is another enjoyable frothy yet substantial crime cozy.
Maggie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read from Veronica Helen. I can't read her books fast enough.
Rita
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2018
Deidre Le Maistre
Dec 26, 2019

• Unnatural Habits (Phryne Fisher, #19)
  • The Witnesses
  • Alex (Verhœven, #2)
  • Date with Death (The Dales Detective, #1)
  • The Boy in the Park
  • Better Off Read (Bookmobile Mystery #1)
  • Read on Arrival (Bookmobile Mystery #2)
  • A Bitter Feast (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #18)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano #5)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Cold, Cold Heart (Kate Hanson, #5)
  • Cold in July
  • Date with Malice  (The Dales Detective, #2)
  • A Well-Behaved Woman: A Novel of the Vanderbilts
  • Fortune Furlough (Miss Fortune Mystery #14)
  • Terns of Endearment (Meg Langslow, #25)
  • The Devil Close Behind: A Jeri Howard Mystery
  • Fatal Cajun Festival: A Cajun Country Mystery
Veronica Heley has published more than fifty books, including crime fiction, historical, and children's titles. She is currently involved in the Ellie Quicke series of crime stories and a variety of other projects. A full-time writer, she has been married to a London probation officer since 1964, and has one musician daughter.

AKA Veronica Thorne

Ellie Quicke (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Murder at the Altar (Ellie Quicke, #1)
  • Murder by Suicide (Ellie Quicke, #2)
  • Murder of Innocence (Ellie Quicke, #3)
  • Murder by Accident (Ellie Quicke, #4)
  • Murder In The Garden (Ellie Quicke, #5)
  • Murder by Committee (Ellie Quicke, #6)
  • Murder by Bicycle (Ellie Quicke, #7)
  • Murder of Identity (Ellie Quicke, #8)
  • Murder in the Park (Ellie Quicke, #9)
  • Murder in House (Ellie Quicke, #10)

News & Interviews