Start by marking “Understanding Research Methods: An Overview of the Essentials” as Want to Read:
Understanding Research Methods: An Overview of the Essentials

Understanding Research Methods: An Overview of the Essentials

A perennial bestseller since 1997, this updated tenth edition of Understanding Research Methods provides a detailed overview of all the important concepts traditionally covered in a research methods class. It covers the principles of both qualitative and quantitative research, and how to interpret statistics without computations, so is suitable for all students regardless of thei ...more
Published October 1st 2017 by Routledge (first published November 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Research Methods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Research Methods

Start your review of Understanding Research Methods: An Overview of the Essentials
Jon
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, concise, and SHORT CHAPTERS! The ideal textbook.
Emily
Aug 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Had to read it for a class...that usually dooms a book from the start! It was a good approach to scientific research and the methodology involved, would recommend for anyone interested in research.
Erica Marcus
Well laid out in simple chapters with lots of text features to clue the reader to the important parts. I am glad this class is over, however.
Lergia
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phd
Not a terrible research methods textbook, but for someone with no background knowledge, a lot of times it didn’t have enough information to understand the concepts fully, and I found myself searching for other open source textbooks for additional information.
Kim
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mls-textbook, 2011
I liked the format of this book as it made it easier for me to understand the concepts by reinforcing ideas with the exercises after each topic. I also appreciated that the topics were short, usually no longer than a page. My biggest complaint about this book is that it doesn't contain a section for the answers. There were times that I wasn't sure about a topic & my corresponding answer and I wished that I knew that I fully understood the topic. If answers were provided, I would be apt to gi ...more
Ellen
May 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mandatory reading for a college class. A lot of information in a short time.... I was not thrilled when the authors themselves wrote "too complicated to be written in detail in this book." So why add that specific item?
Fox
Mar 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great aid in learning the methods for conducting research in both quantitative and qualitative methodology. It also explains the math needed to create the number that the readers will understand. Very helpful resource.
Mirra
Apr 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graduate-school
The horrid book I had to read for my Research Methods class. It was...horrible. But I read it. The end.
Steph