Start by marking “The Last War (The Last War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last War (The Last War, #1)

The Last War

(The Last War #1)

Earth is under attack.

20 years after the American-Chinese war devastated our worlds, we finally have a tense peace. But legendary American Admiral Jack Mattis, on his inspection tour of the first joint American-Chinese space station, finds himself in the middle of the unthinkable: an alien invasion.

Their ships are powerful, their weapons overwhelming. And in the
Published April 1st 2017 by Hyperspace Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last War

Start your review of The Last War (The Last War, #1)
Paul Bacon
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was very mediocre for me. It had ok characters, but wasn't very deep in the development of these characters. It seems to dive into their lives without enough background. Also, to me the science is really lacking. I like better explanations of the science and an explanation of how they talk real time when galaxies apart or how the weapons, or shields work would make it more interesting too. Also, no information about the aliens at all. Nothing about what they found in the debris fields ...more
Martin Pingree
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW, what a ride ! I Love military action books and in space it's even better. One of the best aliens attacking earth stories I've read in awhile. Great story, great characters and loads of action. If you like this genre you will absolutely devour this and anxiously await the next !
Mick Bird
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A interesting start

The first book in what I am sure will be a interesting series, introduced us to a new group of characters. A veteran from the last war on earth is visiting a a new space station when it is attacked. His old command the Midway is also there, with a Chinese ship. Admiral Mattis, first thinks that it is the Chinese are the attackers. But when they destroy the space station, then move on to attack earth.
Scott Thomas
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun ride

If you like space warfare type books you'll enjoy this one. Great pace nice detail. Easy fun read, check it out.
Michael Smith
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first volume of six in a new hardcore military SF series and its pretty good, especially for a straight-to-Kindle project. Its been showing up on the lock screen of my own Kindle lately, and since Im always open to a new science fiction author -- and its on the Kindle Unlimited free list -- I thought Id give it a shot. (Bostrom, by the way, appears to be a pen name for Nick Webb and whatever other author hes sharing the work with -- presumably a different one for each volume.)

The
Kathryn A. Cardona
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great

Very good space war story. It is almost like you are on the bridge of the space ship. Very well written
Shane
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: military-scifi
I do not review books that I don't finish reading. I can't say for certain why I finished this book but I felt compelled so that I could leave this review. I read many independent authors. I have trudged through horrendous failures in editing, plot lines that flow like scribbles in their confusion, characters so dimensionless that they were mere shadows and many, many shock waves in space. I sometimes delete the book and never finish, but usually each story has enough redeeming qualities to keep ...more
Shelly Singhal
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting plot devices. Horrible dialogue

There's some stuff that could work in this story, unfortunately it's buried under every bad cliched military dialogue ever. It takes away from the actual plot. I'm going to skip the next book because the language is so annoying.
Jay
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you have very little direct or indirect military experience and you're just look for adventure, feel free to give the book a try, especially if you can get it for free on KindleUnlimited or by some other means.

If on the other hand you do have some military experience, again either directly or indirectly (e.g., you're well read on military history), I would avoid this book and save yourself the time and frustration. The book seems to have been written someone whose only military experience
Michael
Jun 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
No idea how to write a military novel

The beginning of the book shows a remarkably bad impression of Top Gun. This author obviously knows nothing about the military, yet attempts (poorly) to establish realistic military characters and procedures throughout the book. A little research would have revealed how juvenile and ridiculous some of the scenes seem to actual veterans. Little details like Admiral Mattis having led ground teams, and later commanding a vessel, ensure the veteran readers that
Brandon
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-audio, space
The book itself was pretty good. The dialogue and banter was a high point. The spaceship battles were enough to add it all up to a four-star; BUT... the narrator for the audiobook was terrible. Another reader who sounded as though he'd been throwing back Xanx-Valium cocktails before each recording. On top of that, his pronunciation was often pitiful for any grown adult, let alone someone being paid to narrate a book.

The dynamic between Admiral Mattis, Senator Pitt, and the Chinese was what made
Carl Bailey
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Anyone who has served would find this book dumb. What admiral travels without any staff and after years and two promotions (admiral is at least two grades above captain) has no command of his own? Likewise what Captain would give the little speech of "this is my command" in the open in front of subordinates to a two star or higher and not expect to be relieved of said command. It just gets absurd from there.

The characters were thin and there were too few of them. There were references to
Chris Bull
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Chinese delegation started yammering...

Well yammering does happen in the book, but by the authors. What a travesty this book/series is. I pushed myself to get 75% of the way through before abandoning it.
The is one Kindles Unlimited titles which constantly pops up when I open my device. I am not impressed. Spaceship/shmaship, this reads like it is taking place on an aircraft carrier in the 1940s with an undisciplined crew. They are still using printers and stairwells. The admiral is a
Marshall Feder
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not interesting enough to get the next book

I was very disappointed with the poor storytelling. The book was very choppy and left so many loose ends in so many places that the entire book felt almost more like an outline than an actual, fully formed story. The characters were never developed and felt 2 dimensional. And so many loose ends were left open as obvious devices to get the reader to buy the next book in the series for more details rather than relying on the story itself being so
Patrick
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Easy read

I was really in the mood for a story with space ships and I got it here. The writing isn't splendid and the tech is confusing but it does have battles and a twist or two.

The characters aren't developed but the background universe is more plausible than many that I've read. I wish that it had been more complete. It was a fast read and I kind of liked it.

The main character is the epitome of crotchety old man and is past his best performance. Because his failings are highlighted, it made
Edgar Guedez
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
LAST WAR #1

his is another space-opera serial thet is becoming popular among sci-fi authors. We find mankind battling an unknown enemy, motivations unknown, but they are set to destroy humanity. At the end of the book, we learned they are human kile aliens, from the future and travelling from deep-space. The hero from our side is Admiral Mattis, and obscure personage who let too often his feelings take command of his actions. But I guees if we want to learn more, we have to continue to book 2. I
Susan
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The Last War is the first book in The Last War series. This can be read as a standalone though it is clear that there is more to the story. There is violence...this is a book about war in space afterall. It was interesting that the author is writing about two major countries (the USA and China) but has the war setting in space and not on earth. Then there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you reading and guessing as to what is going on.
LelaineMarie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-space
This is a new author for me that I received from Kindle Unlimited, which Ive found to be an excellent vehicle to branch out in my reading preferences. Bostrom presents an interesting set of characters, and paints a space war not as bloody and gory as some, which was a nice change. Ive already download the 2nd book in the series. ...more
Cyd O
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Action and a bit of mystery

This story gets us started on what I expect to be an adventure, with lots of wartime action. There are mysteries brought forward, then left hanging, just begging to be followed in the next installment. I only gave it 4 stars because there are a lot of typos and grammatical errors. Bottom line - I'm downloading book 2.
Edan C
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This can be a confusing book for some readers as they may not understand the vocabulary that is being used in the book because this is a war-based book. It tells about the perspective of the USS Midway, Warbird, and Chinese fleet. Admiral Mattis is the commander of the USS Midway, the Warbird has Flatline and Guano, and the Fuqing of the Chinese has Commander Shao as its leader.
Mr Lawrence D Ming
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Out of retirement.

An old admiral is forced out of retirement during a peace building mission to confront unknown attackers. The new enemy is not the same people as America's old enemy, the Chinese. However,distrust rules and battling the new enemy is difficult.
A better editor than most, but still a robot word checker. Needs to learn Engrish.
Keith
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow, what to say? To employ some inappropriate metaphors this is one pedal to the metal, full-tilt boogie SF explosion. It starts fast, it starts hard and doesn't let up until the final pages. The backstory is quickly illustrated, 20 years after a Sino-American war, an uneasy peace is in place. Humanity is out and about in the solar system with Chinese and American space vessels sharing the stars. Then a violent military confrontation occurs with much confusion following on. The character ...more
Richard DeLancey
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read!!

I knew this book had a familiarity to it, then I read that Peter Bostrom is actually Nick Webb and a partner. Nick Webb is one of the best in the business and he brought his super story telling skills to this new series. It is definitely engaging. I couldn't put it down. On to book two!!
Margie Maletich
Nov 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Awful

Can not recommend this book to anyone! Poor story line, poor character development, had plot, predictable plot. Terrible, bad, awful, you name it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eric quinn
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's just the beginning

This book had some serious potential. I can't wait to read the next one to where the story ends up going. The enemy was a very interesting twist on ideas I've read about alien life. This could be very interesting.
Noah Shephard
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good!! The plot of the whole thing is really well thought through and at first I thought that this was just going to be a cliche sci fi book. But the mix of space and military stuff is really well done! Highly recommended!!
Todd Gutschow
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok Military SciFi

The military elements of this book are pretty good. However, the overall writing style and character interactions are subpar. If it wasnt for the action this book I would give it less than three stars.
maxamoud
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't feel it

I couldn't feel the danger of the threat of the unknown and jumping back in time with different POV didn't help keeping me engaged.
I like the idea of the story so I'm gonna give book 2 a chance.
IAN MURRAY
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A reasonable story but nothing new

I felt it was slow to get going and there is too much focus on the one character. I will read the other books in the series just to see if it improves.
Mrgrush
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to reading more of the series

I hate writing reviews. Most of the time I either like or don't like a book. Often I don't know why. If I am willing to read more in a series or books by the same author that should be enough said. mrg
« previous 1 3 next »

• Liberty (Legacy Ship Trilogy, #3)
  • Independence (Legacy Ship Trilogy, #1)
  • Mercury's Bane (Earth Dawning, #1)
  • Jupiter's Sword (Earth Dawning, #2)
  • Victory (Legacy Fleet Trilogy, #3)
  • Neptune's War (Earth Dawning, #3)
  • Defiance (Legacy Ship Trilogy, #2)
  • Warrior (Legacy Fleet Trilogy, #2)
  • Constitution (Legacy Fleet Trilogy, #1)
  • Into the Void (The Pax Humana Saga, #3 )
  • The Terran Gambit (Episode #1: The Pax Humana Saga)
  • Blood Honor (The Day After Never, #1)
  • Chains of Destiny (The Pax Humana Saga, #2)
  • Purgatory Road (The Day After Never, #2)
  • The Last Stand (Blood on the Stars #14)
  • Assault (Liberation War #2)
  • Ruins of the Galaxy (Ruins of the Galaxy #1)
  • Empire's Ashes (Blood on the Stars #15)
Peter Bostrom is the pen name of Nick Webb as he co-writes Science Fiction with other authors.

Nick lives in Seattle, and someday wants to be the first man to die on Mars. Not like a heroic, failed-Nasa-mission style death where he plummets through the thin atmosphere and crashes into Olympus Mons, but a calm one in a hospital with plenty of fantasy books to ease his passing.

The Last War (6 books)
  • The Last Hero (The Last War, #2)
  • The Last Dawn (The Last War, #3)
  • The Last Champion (The Last War #4)
  • The Last Strike (The Last War, #5)
  • The Last Tyrant (The Last War, #6)

News & Interviews

“exhaling and releasing a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding.” 0 likes
“Now,” said Roadie, taking a deep breath and leaning over his desk, “perhaps you two irradiated, dopey, inbred, defective, bowlegged, ugly, clusterfucked, soup-sandwich, mutated, kitten-shitting, half-baked, slack-jawed, pathetic, muppet-faced worthless hunks of weak-minded, indiscreet, shit-dicked, nut-sucking, dimwitted, completely ass-backward, messed-up, sister-kissing, defective, similac-chugging, piddlyshit, senseless, ass-dragging, malformed, penguin-fucking, subnormal, numbskulled, imbecilic excuses for utterly useless space garbage will be so kind as to explain to me what the fuck got into those tiny hunks of gristle you call brains, or should I just shoot myself in the dick because the pain of hearing you speak will be less painful than trying to magic up the brainpower to comprehend whatever fuck-fuck game you shitbreathers were trying to play with our Chinese friends?” 0 likes