Start by marking “Lo strano caso del dottor Jekyll e del signor Hyde” as Want to Read:
Lo strano caso del dottor Jekyll e del signor Hyde

Lo strano caso del dottor Jekyll e del signor Hyde

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  333,028 ratings  ·  11,049 reviews
“Uno dei pilastri della letteratura fantastica”

UNO DEI PILASTRI DELLA LETTERATURA FANTASTICA, IL ROMANZO CHE HA TERRORIZZATO GENERAZIONI DI LETTORI. UN VIAGGIO ATTRAVERSO LE PIÙ OSCURE E DEFORMI PROFONDITÀ DELL’INCONSCIO.

«In questo racconto la banalità diventa spaventosa, con un’alchimia di parole e rovesciamenti del normale che rendono improv
Published 2017 by Salani (first published January 5th 1886)

Deepanker Saxena It isn't scary. It just throws light on the devil inside you and what form it can take if not controlled.
The evil side of the human.
Childoftheonetrueking I would recommend 12+, the book is rather intense at points. Check out my full review of this book and its content here: https://teenchristianbookblog.wordpre...

·  333,028 ratings  ·  11,049 reviews

Jeffrey Keeten
”It came about that Edward Hyde was so much smaller, slighter, and younger than Henry Jekyll. Even as good shone upon the countenance of the one, evil was written broadly and plainly on the face of the other. Evil besides (which I must still believe to be the lethal side of man) had left on that body an imprint of deformity and decay. And yet when I looked upon that ugly idol in the glass, I was conscious of no repugnance rather of a leap of welcome.

This too, was myself.”

This too, was myself.”

photo Jekyll-mansfield_zps5229ba58.jpg
Richard Mansfield was mostly known for his dual role depicted in this double exposure. The stage adaptation opened in London in 1887, a year after the publication of the novella. (Picture 1895).

Dr. Henry Jekyll is a brilliant man who in the course of trying to understand the human psyche has turned himself, with tragic results, into a guinea pig for his experiments. He has unleashed a power from within that is turning out to be too formidable to be properly contained. This book was released in 1886 and at first none of the bookshop wanted to carry the book because of the subject matter, but a positive review had people flocking to the stores to read this sinister tale of hubris overcoming reason.

photo FirstEdition_zpsdd0290f1.jpg
The American first edition is the true first edition because it preceded the London edition by three days

The timing was perfect for releasing such a tale. The Victorian society was struggling with the morality that had been imposed upon them by the previous generation. They were embracing vice. Many men of means living in London now found themselves hearing the siren song of pleasures available on the East End. They could be as naughty as they wanted and safely leave their depravity on that side of town before they return to the respectable bosom of their family and careers. They were struggling with the dual natures of their existences. The thunder of the church and the faces of their sweet families made them feel guilty for their need to drink gin in decrepit pubs, smoke opiates in dens of inequity, consort with underage whores, and run the very real risk of being robbed by cutthroats. This walk on the wild side also allowed them the privilege of feeling completely superior to all those beings providing their means of entertainment.

Jekyll as it turns out is no different. He relishes the adventures of his other persona even as he feels the mounting horror of losing control of this other self he calls Mr. Edward Hyde.

Furthermore, his creation has no loyalty.

”My two natures had memory in common, but all other faculties were most unequally shared between them. Jekyll (who was composite) now with the most sensitive apprehensions, now with a greedy gusto, projected and shared in the pleasures and adventures of Hyde; but Hyde was indifferent to Jekyll, or but remembered him as the mountain bandit remembers the cavern in which he conceals himself from pursuit.”

photo SpencerTracy_zpsbf091d68.jpg
Spencer Tracy plays Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in 1941.

Unfortunately indifference becomes more personal, more brutal in nature, as Hyde becomes more and more a caged animal who does not want to have to embrace the pretenses of Jekyll’s respectable position.

”The hatred of Hyde for Jekyll was of a different order. His terror of the gallows drove him continually to commit temporary suicide, and return to his subordinate station of a part instead of a person; he loathed the necessity, he loathed the despondency into which Jekyll had fallen, and he resented the dislike which he was himself regarded.”

The tincture that has so far allowed Jekyll to contain Hyde is needing to be doubled and tripled to give Jekyll some modicum of control over his deviant nature. Jekyll contacts every apothecary he knows trying to find more of the solution he needs only to discover that the original batch that he used to make his “grand discovery” with must have been tainted with a foreign substance unknown to any of the suppliers. This foreign substance, unfortunately, is the ingredient that made the emergence and the restraint of Hyde possible.

Dire circumstances indeed.

Men who normally did not read novels were buying this book. I believe they were looking for some insight into their own nature maybe even some sympathy for their own urges. They made a book that quite possibly could have been thought of as an entertaining gothic novel into an international best seller. New generations of readers are still finding this book essential reading. Even those that have never read this book know the plot and certainly know the names of Jekyll and Hyde. It has inspired numerous movies, mini-series, comic books, and plays. It could be argued that it is one of the most influential novels on the creative arts.

It was but a dream.

Robert Louis Stevenson was stymied for a new idea. He was racking his brain hoping for inspiration.

”He had his names for the agents of his dreams, his whimsical alter ego and writing self. Stevenson referred to these agents, it pains me to admit, as ‘the little people’ and the ‘the Brownies.’ His hope was that they would supply him with marketable tales.”

photo RLS_zps6bcfff23.jpg
RLS

It came to him in a nightmare that had him screaming loudly enough to wake the whole household.

It was a gift from the depths of his mind, maybe an acknowledgement of his own dark thoughts, his own darkest desires.

He wrote the nightmare down on paper feverishly over ten days. When he read the final draft to his wife, Fanny, her reaction was not what he expected. She was cold to the tale, completely against publishing such a sensationalized piece of writing. They argued, thin skinned to any criticism as most writers are especially when it is a complete repudiation of a piece of writing he was particularly proud of; Stevenson, in a moment of rage, tossed the whole manuscript in the fireplace.

Be still my heart.

There is no arguing with success of this magnitude, but I can’t help but wonder what was in that first draft. If there is a criticism of this novel it would be for the restrained nature in which it is presented. Did Stevenson just let it all go? Did he give us more elaborate details of Hyde’s excursions? Was Jekyll’s glee in Hyde’s adventures more fully explored?

I understand Stevenson was a fiery Scot given to flights of temper that could only be doused with something as dramatic as throwing 60,000 words into the fire, but how about flinging the pages about the room, and storming away followed by the proper slamming of a door to punctuate displeasure. In my mind’s eye I can see his stepson, Lloyd Osborne, carefully gathering the pages, scaring himself reading them in the middle of the night, and keeping them for all posterity between the leaves of a writing journal.

photo dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-1_zpsb1dc73ce.jpg
In 1920 John Barrymore played Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Stevenson was obsessed with the concept of good and evil. We all have a side to our personality that we prefer to keep hidden. We all wear masks. For now our inner thoughts are still our own, but don’t be surprised if the NSA has figured out how to tap in and tape those as well. Sometimes wearing the mask becomes arduous. Another entity fights to be allowed to roam free. We want to be impulsive, self-gratifying, slutty, sometimes brutal, but most importantly unfettered by our reputations. I wouldn’t necessarily call that evil, but there are people who do have true viciousness barely contained and we have to hope they continue to restrain it.

The Victorians identified with Jekyll/Hyde and maybe to know that others are also struggling with doing right without doing wrong certainly made them feel less like an aberration when they next felt the itch for the East End. I’m sure this book was the source of many fine conversations as they drank their gin and smelled the musky hair of the doxie on their laps.

photo Stevenson_vailima_zps1813586f.jpg
The author with his wife and their household in Vailima, Samoa, c. 1892 Photograph of Robert Louis Stevenson and family, Vailima, on the island of Upolu in Samoa. Left to right: Mary Carter, maid to Stevenson's mother, Lloyd Osbourne, Stevenson's stepson, Margaret Balfour, Stevenson's mother, Isobel Strong, Stevenson's stepdaughter, Robert Louis Stevenson, Austin Strong, the Strong's son, Stevenson's wife Fanny Stevenson, and Joseph Dwight Strong, Isobel's husband.

The word that most of his friends and acquaintances used to describe Stevenson (RLS as I often think of him) was captivating. He was sorely missed when he made the decision to move to Samoa taking himself a long way from supportive friends and his fans. He was searching for a healthy environment that would restore his always ailing health. Unfortunately the new climate was found too late, he died at the age of 44 from a brain aneurysm leaving his last novel, the Weir of Hermiston, unfinished. Many believe that he was on the verge of writing his greatest novel.

Oddly enough, F. Scott Fitzgerald a very different writer from RLS, but also a favorite of mine died at 44 as well. Critics also believe that The Last Tycoon would have been his best novel if he’d had time to finish it. It does make me wonder about the wonderful stories that were left forever trapped in the now long silent pens of RLS and FSF, but they both left lasting monuments to literature. Even those that don’t appreciate their writing the way I do still have to admit that their impact was undeniable.

If you wish to see more of my most recent book and movie reviews, visit http://www.jeffreykeeten.com
I also have a Facebook blogger page at:https://www.facebook.com/JeffreyKeeten
Ariel
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH BOY, OH BOY, PEOPLE I HAVE A NEW FAVOURITE!

This edition came with two stories, "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" and "The Bottle Imp," and they were both awesome let's talk about them. I'm so excited I can't contain myself.

Jekyll:
- So. Well. Crafted. From beginning to end the story was engaging and the themes where quite straightforward, but I really love that in writing (see: George Orwell is my favourite author). I like it when authors aren't boggin
Anne
Pfft.
This Stevenson guy totally ripped off Stan Lee's Hulk character!

I mean, did this dude seriously think he could get away with what basically boils down to a copy & paste job of one of the most iconic literary characters in comics?!
I. Think. Not.
Stan, my friend, you have a real chance at winning a copyright infringement lawsuit.
(view spoiler) ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
55 pages later and I’m still convinced that Robert Louis Stevenson named his characters this way exclusively so he could fit in the line “if he shall be Mr. Hyde, I shall be Mr. Seek!” and honestly? that’s iconic.

There’s a reason this novella has stood the test of time - it is creepy and interesting as hell. I think there’s something very terrifying to me abou/>
Stephen
KUDOS, KUDOS and more KUDOS to you, Mr. Stevenson!! First, for bringing me more happy than a Slip N Slide on a scorching summer day by providing Warner Bros with the inspiration for one of my favorite cartoons, Hyde and Go Tweet:
HydeandGoTweetStill-1-1-2v2
...I mean who didn't love giant, cat-eating Tweety Hyde.

Second, and more seriously, when I tardily returned to your classic gothic nov
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Robert Louis Stevenson was a man who knew how to play his audience. Utterson, the primary point of view character for this novel, is a classic Victorian gentleman; he is honest, noble and trustworthy; he is the last reputable acquaintance of down going men like Henry Jekyll. So, by having a character who evokes the classic feelings of Victorian realism narrate the abnormal encounterings, it gives it credibility; it gives it believability; thus, the story is scarier because if a man such as Utter ...more
Fabian
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The appearances/superficiality motif appears as early on as the first sentence in this tense, tight, but ultimately convoluted smear of a novella. Count on countenance for good & sturdy bones in a story of detection...

& yet...

Plus there are really nice framing devices on display here, a check-mark always in my book, like the letters within letters narrative, a nifty exercise, which is mighty cool. (Here, my favorite sentence from the Robert Louis Stevenson classic: "Jekyll had more tha
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a gothic novella by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson first published in 1886. The work is also known as The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, or simply Jekyll & Hyde. It is about a London lawyer named Gabriel John Utterson who investigates strange occurrences between his old friend, Dr Henry Jekyll, and the evil Edward Hyde. The novella's i
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
4.5*
*Read for class*
Jeff
What I learned reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

By Jeff

1) Some things are better left unsaid. Really? Who knows how Hyde indulged himself? Hookers? Pirating? Running an orphan sweat shop? Booze? Opium? Ripping the “Do Not Remove under Penalty of Law” labels from mattresses?

2) Never have a nosy lawyer as a best friend. Who the hell hangs out with lawyers?

3) My evil Hyde would not be a top hat wearing, monkey-like Juggernaut. Sorry, he would be more Dean Martin-esqu
J.G. Keely
After the overblown Frankenstein and the undercooked Dracula, it's pleasant to find that the language and pacing of the third great pillar of horror is so forceful and deliberate (especially since I was disappointed by Stevenson's other big work, Treasure Island). But then, this is a short story, and it's somewhat easier to carry off the shock, horror, and mystery over fewer pages instead of drawing it out like Shelley and Stoker into a grander moralizing tale.

But Stevenson still manages to get in quite a bit o
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It seems like I've been familiar with the "good" Dr. Jekyll and the "evil" Mr. Hyde all my life, but the thing that most struck me, once I finally got around to actually reading this classic, is--other than their outward appearance--how alike these two aspects of the same man actually are.

Dr. Jekyll has always been aware of the duality in his character: he admits to some apparently fairly serious youthful indiscretions, and even when he consciously puts his vices behind him for a time, he alway
Greg Watson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
December 2009

Jekyll and Hyde is commonly evoked to describe someone with a split personality. Stevenson's novel is about a dual physical and spiritual nature struggling for control of one person. In this struggle, Dr. Jekyll doesn't just assume a different personality, he actually becomes Mr. Hyde.

Presbyterian Pastor Tim Keller has a good, brief analysis of parts of the Jekyll and Hyde story in his book The Reason for God. Keller pinpoints a key point in the story, noting that it's
Manny
By day, the mild-mannered Dr. Jekyll mouths platitudes about trickledown economics in front of a teleprompter while vaguely apologizing. By night, the demoniacal Mr. Hyde stands in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoots people. Will the US electorate realize what's happening before it's too late?
_____________________

(view spoiler)
Bionic Jean
Do you know what a "Jekyll and Hyde" character is? Of course you do. It is one of the descriptions, originally in a piece of literature, which has now become accepted in our vernacular. And there are many renditions of the story, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and countless references to it in all aspects of life. Quite an achievement for a slim Victorian volume written by the Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, and published in 1886.

"Man is not truly one, but truly two."

S/>"Man
Raeleen Lemay
IF ONLY the revelation halfway through this had been unknown to me before reading it, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. It was good, but knowing what the twist is can really bring a story down for me.

This book is also very simple and to-the-point, which isn't always my favourite style of writing. I would have enjoyed for the story to be more drawn out, preferably with an addition of at least another hundred pages.
Delee
A veeeeeeeery short buddy-read with: Buddy Loooooove, Too much Buddy Love aka I want to be called The Nutty Professor, I love everybody Buddy Love, What did I do to deserve this Buddy Love?, Gimmie some Buddy Love....aaaaaand My brand new Buddy Love. Whew! Did I get everyone???

I am not a classic book reader- I fall under the category that some snobbish readers would call a fluffy reader..a reader for entertainment purposes only- Not a reader
“Man is not truly one, but truly two”

Dr. Jekyll attains through his experience with being both himself and Mr. Hyde that there are actually two sides to him. He claims that people, as far as he can tell, are made up of two sides― good and evil.

But is it really true?

Is a good and dignified person, good and dignified because that is what s/he is supposed to be?
Because that is the way s/he is expected to be?

Does everyone have a secret dark side that they desperately keep
Natalia Yaneva
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english
Bulgarian review below/Ревюто на български е по-долу
“If he be Mr. Hyde”, he had thought, “I shall be Mr. Seek”.
If “Jekyll and Hyde” was a painting, it would’ve been Edvard Munch’s “The Scream”. If it was a mental illness, it would’ve been dissociative identity disorder, not schizophrenia, as is the popular guess if there’s more than one of you inside your head. I would say that the story can also be likened to a long dark tea-time of the soul, because it would take you just that much to read it. Beware
Evgeny
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The story is widely known and very influential. It was retold and replayed countless number of times by practically everywhere and everybody, including one of the best cartoon series of all the time, Looney Tunes:
Looney Tunes
For this reason people writing blurbs for the book decided it is quite fine to take a lazy route and give spoiler right away. At least
Lyn
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Banner / The Hulk, Lawrence Talbot / The Wolfman, and Norman Bates are watching Stanley Kubrick’s 1987 film Full Metal Jacket and Joker has just said to the visiting Colonel that his helmet decorations were meant “to suggest something about the duality of man”.

Norman: We all go a little mad sometimes.

Bruce: This makes me think of Robert Louis Stevenson’s 1886 novella The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I mean about the whole duality of man thing.

Talbot: I think that is a ubiquitous element of much of fiction, especially
Robin
My impetus for reading this classic 1886 novella was seeing an interview with Donna Tartt in which she discusses writing The Goldfinch. She says that she read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during her formative years and that there's "something of it in every book I've ever written". Well, since I adore every book Ms. Tartt has ever written, it was high time I read this.

I love the creeptastic gothic stories from this time period - Frankenstein, Dracula, anything by Poe. There's something dank and dingy in those pages that
Lisa
"I learned to recognise the thorough and primitive duality of man; I saw that, of the two natures that contended in the field of my consciousness, even if I could rightly be said to be either, it was only because I was radically both."

As so often, my students gave me food for thought after I carelessly summed up the idea behind Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde and the duality of humankind, moving between animal brutality and intellectual sophistication.

"But that is not true!
James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde written in 1886 by Robert Louis Stevenson. So here's how naive I was years ago... and keep in mind I was an English major who loved the classics... I'd read some short stories about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as a teenager, maybe saw some video or tv versions.... can't quite remember. Sophomore year in college, this is listed on the assigned syllabus for one of my courses. And I'm like "I think there's a mistake. Stevenson wrote Treasure Is
Apatt
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
“I have become a monster! I must find a place where I can hide! That’s it! I shall call myself…” DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!!
“Mr. Where-I-can!”

The above is paraphrased from a “Morecambe & Wise” Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sketch, they don’t often make me laugh, but this one is gold!

Not so much "The Strange Case" as the "Overly Familiar Case". The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one of those stories that practically everybody knows so few people bother to read the original text. The original Frankenstein and Dracula are also often neglected by
SARA A. URIBE16
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review in English and in Spanish

This story is full of suspense, quite intriguing. I hope that those who have decided to read this great classic will also take the time to read even more about its author and how this novel arises for him and for the world we know today. The most interesting things for me is the game of the duality of human consciousness something that can be seen in Greek and Roman mythology, but in this time still full of dark light, declaring that we are a combinati
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped that a re-read would have increased my appreciation of this old, albeit classic, tale, but alas, I still just find it *okay*. I can't complain about the style because I've read a lot of Stevenson's contemporaries. I can't complain that it's not "fantastic or gruesome" enough, because it does have a certain low-level miasma of hysteria that works fine as a thriller.

What I can and want to complain about is something that has annoyed me about these people from day one. The i
classic reverie
Even though I have known about Jekyll and Hyde ever since I was a kid, and have seen Spencer Tracy in the 1941 film and have heard radio versions of this story and almost everyone knows it, I found the book more enlightening into Stevenson's desire to show the duel personality of the two but even more interesting is the acquiesce of Jekyll to the actions of Hyde with a kind of glee at first. Even after Hyde becomes more fiendish, Jekyll is not condoning but gives allowances to his behavior. In t ...more
Paul Bryant
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This 70 page novelette is a load of old cobblers but very elegantly expressed cobblers. The main idea is that everyone has a bad side and a good side –

Man is not truly one, but truly two

And hey, maybe more for all I know, says Dr J

I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.

Got that, a mere polity. So I think he’s thinking of something like multiple personalities or sumpin. Now Dr J, being an upstanding wealthy individual,–
Man
Lotte
This book was the start of my on-going love story with gothic fiction. Definitely one of my favorite classics in one of my favorite genres. I highly recommend this!

• Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Anna Karenina
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The King in Yellow
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Nightmare Abbey
  • Berenice
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • The Arabian Nights
Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literatur
“Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm. ” 404 likes
“If he be Mr. Hyde" he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.” 339 likes