Start by marking “Mona Lisa Darkening (Monère: Children of the Moon, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mona Lisa Darkening (Monère: Children of the Moon, #4)

Mona Lisa Darkening (Monère: Children of the Moon #4)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,763 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
On the vernal equinox, Mona Lisa is taken against her will to NetherHell, the cursed realm of the damned. In this place, she will be torn from both within and without by desire, love, and ecstasy. And when her first love crosses the boundaries of the world to rescue her, she must choose her own destiny?before others choose it for her.
Mass Market Paperback, 273 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by Berkley (first published December 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mona Lisa Darkening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mona Lisa Darkening

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Sunny's 'Mona Lisa' series is a fascinating, dark fantasy filled with otherworldly creatures that are quite a bit different from the usual paranormal fare. Her world is based on the Monere, a society of moon descendants who 'bask' in the moon's rays to sustain their life. They are stronger, faster, and prettier than normal humans...and many, if not most, are quite a bit crueler.

Mona Lisa is drawn into NetherHell this time, and neither her status as Queen nor her Hell mate Halcyon can help her ou
Shannon
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: super fans or people that want to read an LKH clone
It's weird, I liked this one better than the last but I still can't rate it higher than a 2. The beginning was interesting but the end was incredibly disappointing and lame.

Mona Lisa and her group are basking on the night of the Vernal Equinox and a dark light flashes across the moon. Mona Lisa disappears and reawakens in NetherHell; a separate realm worse than normal Hell. Once in NetherHell, Mona Lisa is taken to a gargoyle warlord who becomes incredibly interested in her because he wants to h
Lisa Lap
I'm disappointed with this chapter in Mona Lisa's life. Ironically it wasn't that I couldn't believe that Mona Lisa would end up in netherhell thanks to Mona Louisa, I so easily could believe that the evil queen had managed to take more of Mona Lisa's happiness away yet again. No, my disappointment comes from the fact that the majority of this story didn't allow us to catch up with all the familiar characters we have come to love through this series. The scenes with Amber, Halcyion, Gryphon and ...more
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Hmmm...where did this book come from? Did Sunny have a substitute writer for this installment? Ok...so...I liked it but, meh. It just didn't have the same feel as the first 3. It's like she didn't know where to go with the series, so she just took it "out there" like really, really out there to the NetherHell. Anyhoo.

I might have been generous with the stars. If I hadn't been so inthralled with the series as a whole, I might have dropped it to 3 stars, but I am leaving it at 4.

There is so much
Treece
May 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I bought the first book in this series and didn't buy anymore. For me, the series has always had something missing and a hit or miss quality. Still, I do enjoy reading it b/c there are some good solid areas and interesting characters. This last book is a let down after Mona Lisa Craving. I'm hoping for the return of a character from book three, Dante. He's one of the reasons I continue reading. But hey, not everyone can be Anne Bishop and I don't expect them to either.

There's a lot of interestin
Quinn
Sunny took a completely different turn with her latest book in the Monere series, and, for me, it was a turn for the better.

I must admit I was skeptical when I read that this book was to be set in Netherhell, but Sunny created quite a vivid setting and populated it with some of the most fascinating characters she has yet created. I loved the gargoyles. Also, this one was not driven by sex, and again, I found that to be an improvement.

I don't know how she does it. I tell myself each time I read
FlibBityFLooB
In truth, I don't think that this fourth book in the Monere Mona Lisa series fits into the series well at all. For the first 100 pages of the book, I didn't feel like the storyline meshed with the previous books, and I frequently became distracted while reading.

Also, I was a bit annoyed that the author kept skipping between first person and third person. It felt abrubt and confusing at times.

I didn't hate the book, but I was left feeling disappointed...
Cindyg
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was another great read...I love this series...Mona Lisa's life challenges are so great and yet she remains true to herself...The way this ended left me wondering if there was going to be another book...which I since have found out that it is indeed continuing...thank goodness because I really really love Mona Lisa's world. I highly recommend this series...fast paced with loads of actions, heart wretching moments and hot men.
Rapid Reader
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reverse-harem
Love this series! It's just too bad that the author has discontinued being a writer, so the series was left hanging. I was rather upset that one of the male love interest got killed. Good thing he didn't stay dead for long, though! The last arch of the series was fantastic! Note: I read all 5 books in one go.
Diandra {Ambrosia Books}
Reviews like this (and more) can be found on Ambrosia Books

Oh, Mona Lisa. You were the love story of my early twenties. I wanted nothing but to be like you. Men who fought for your honor (sexy men, at that), connection to the moon, sex for power. That was the life...

After years hiatus of continuing this story, I finally picked this up and read it, so full of nostalgia. I was shocked, utterly shocked at what I read. I'm so upset to say this and it truly brings tears to my eyes, but Mona Lisa....
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Dhfan4life
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Finally this series is starting to pick up some traction for me and get really good for me. In this installment of the Monere series, our main character Mona Lisa is abducted into cursed realm known as Netherhell. There she meets her first set of garagoyles and even learns that NetherHell is a place for truly bad individuals. Such as the damned demons of the Monere world as well as human convicts, gang members, and even corporate fraud types as well. Which is not all that surprising for Mona Lis ...more
Jodie
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book literally has it all. I was amazed at how Sunny managed to surprise me at every twist and turn of the pages. It was non stop action, passion, and hot romance.

Mona Lisa, a mixed blood monere queen who has the ability to compell people against thier will, heal and totrure with just the palms of her hands (from the goddess's tears), call weapons to her with her mind, and recently the ability to suck out someone else's life force. Not to mention non-human speed and strength. Oh and she is
Natasha
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mona Lisa Darkening is the fourth book in the Monère, Dark Fantasy, paranormal romance series. When I first read Mona Lisa Awakening, I was shocked that I haven't heard of this series more than I did. I instantly loved it and found the characters very likable. The characters are one of my favorite things about this series. Halcyon is my favorite. I love Gryphon and everyone else, but I still keep going back to Halcyon. He's unique.

The heroine, Mona Lisa is a mixed-blood queen among the Monére. A
Sammy Loves Books
The past two books in the Mona Lisa series ended on such sad notes that I decided to take a break and read other books that had a more cheerful ending. Well, that never happened. I felt compelled to read Mona Lisa Darkening because even with it's not so happy parts, I have enjoyed the overall series immensely. This book was a total surprise because all others have been written in first person from Mona Lisa's point of view. For the first time we were able to glimpse other events that were taking ...more
Selena
The Monere series by Sunny has always fascinated me. The idea of a species of people who are ruled by their own queen and need the moon to survive was genius on Sunny's part. And to add it onto that, this book is surely to please fans of later Laurell K. Hamilton writing; Mona Lisa is definately a girl who is not afraid to have more than one lover.

However, this book in particular fell short for me. The initial plot was fascinating; Mona Lisa, while basking in the light of the moon, is suddently
Aimee
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica
Mona Lisa is off on her craziest adventure yet. She is somehow sucked into NetherHell. While there, she must rely on an enemy hidden insider herself for her survival. She rescues a gargoyle child, becomes coveted by a gargoyle king, and manages to make some allies in the most unlikely places.

This one also bounces back and forth between Mona Lisa's 1st person POV and 3rd person POV of Gryphon and Halcyon, who travel to NetherHell to rescue her. She has some disturbing/touching moments with the t
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth book in the Children of the Moon series by Sunny; and it was actually my favorite of the series. The setting was more interesting than previous books and there was a lot more action; there wasn't as much sex and romance so people who really dig that may not like this book as well as some of the previous ones.

The book starts out with Mona Lisa basking for her Monere. Suddenly a black light comes out of the moon and Mona Lisa is taken somewhere else. Strangely enough Mona Louise
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
4.4?5?0?

Wow this was good.. Interesting.. It brought a new depth to the Monere world. It was slow paced though, I gotta say.. It would do well as a stand-alone. Because it was so rich, it didn't necessarily seem like a prior book introduced this one. I liked it:)

SPOILER? ALERT!

This was Halcyon and Gryphon's book, well 3/4ths of it was JUST-Mona Lisa, and that other Queen who I actually like nowX), which I found very very intriguing and awesome. I hated missing the guys but she can certainly take
Anita
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Laurell K. Hamilton
This series has a major theme common with the two Laurell K. Hamilton series: a tough on the outside, loving on the inside magically powerful heroine and her relationships with many different men who are mostly cool with sharing her. Ridiculous? Absolutely. Really interesting if you like complicated relationships, YES! There's some interesting action and alternate realities thrown in too, which I like.

Premise of this fourth installment in the series: Mona Lisa gets accidentally sucked into Nethe
Noel
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Steph
Hum, well, I wanted to find out what had happened to Gryphon, and I did. But ... the rest ...

There were parts that I really enjoyed and parts that bugged me, taking up precious space in the book instead of adding more to the overall storyline (IMHO).

Initially I thought, "cool, Netherhell ... interesting, kinda spooky", then "come on already" was all I could think while pushing through the pages. I did enjoy learning about the Gargoyles and thought parts of their storyline was interesting, but
Trang Nguyen
K
This almost felt like reading two different books. The first 2/3 of the book was okay but then it sort of wraps up and feels like the end of the book and the rest of the story seemed added on as an afterthought. A new dilemma is presented to prolong the story enough to revisit past characters and to throw in some sex. And when I say "some sex", I mean as in Mona Lisa getting it on with 4 different men all within the last 1/3 of the book. I guess she's making up for lost time. And then i
Cam
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Erotic and sensual. Sunny is able to put a fascinating spin on vampires, demons and other creatures. I love how her charactors may start out rogues, almost to the point of being evil but somehow find redeeming qualities. That they come from such low places where they put themselves above all else. Then to risk it all for someone else even their most hated rival. The ugly or strange into beauty. The story is griping and flows easily. In Netherhell Mona Lisa and Moan Louisa work together to surviv ...more
Stephie88
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In the conclusion of Mona Lisa's story, we have her taken to Netherhell via a blackness that falls upon her while she is Basking. In Netherhell, Mona Louisa's essence in her is much stronger, enough so that they are able to shift back in forth between them, body and mind alike. Together, they try and find a way out of Netherhell, and realize that although they are very different in personality, together they make a good team.

I very much wanted there to be another book after this one, as the auth
Di
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, e-romance
There are definitely some elements of this series that I've found to be rather derivative of others-- demon dead, matriarchal societies, vampirism, etc. The reason why I still read on is entirely due to the main character. She describes herself as sort of plain and flat-chested in a race full of beautiful Queens. (Man, I can relate!) In this book, she has an experience of what life is like without her other supernatural powers, and for me that balances out the fact that she seems to be the roman ...more
Liz
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was anxious to get my hands on this book because I love the Monere series. Mona Lisa has captured my attention from the very beginning. Sunny has done an exellent job of creating characters that are memorable from the very first book. I really enjoyed Mona Lisa's adventures and NetherHell is no excpetion.
The way Mona Lisa struggles with "The Evil" queen is really interesting because she struggles between hating her and dealing with the fact that she has become a part of her. The Gargoyle's ar
Thenia
Mona Lisa finds herself in NetherHell, a realm worse than Hell, where she is surrounded by danger and the rules are different. Her moments of stupidity have increased in this book and she is yet again changed, but she's strong enough to keep going.

I hate the way she treats Halcyon, who comes to her rescue, but I hope the last book in the series, Mona Lisa Eclipsing, will redeem her and bring everyone to their rightful place and wrap everything with a neat little bow. Let's see...

• Over The Moon (Mageverse #3.5)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Cum For Bigfoot 2
  • The Horny Minotaur
  • Breeding The Female (Forced, Fucked, and Bred Trilogy, #2)
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Red-Hot and Royal
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Wishful Thinking
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • Awakening (Dark Elves #6)
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Captain's Price
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
A family practice physician and Vassar graduate, Sunny was finally pushed into picking up her pen by the success of the rest of her family. Much to her amazement, she found that, by golly, she actually could write a book, and that it was much more fun than being a doctor.

As an author, Sunny has been featured on Geraldo at Large and CNBC, and has won many awards including the prestigious PRISM Awar
More about Sunny

Monère: Children of the Moon (5 books)
  • Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère: Children of the Moon, #1)
  • Mona Lisa Blossoming (Monère: Children of the Moon, #2)
  • Mona Lisa Craving (Monère: Children of the Moon, #3)
  • Mona Lisa Eclipsing  (Monère: Children of the Moon, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“Because you offer something ever rarer than power of aphidy. You offer something that few other Queens offer-love. You bestow love on all you take under your care. And intimate love to only a few. I saw it once in your eyes for me, and I want to see it again. I need to, as much as I need to breathe air. Mona Lisa, this one thing-love-you have still to give. Don not deny me. Not when my soul needs you, cries out for you.” 1 likes
“We shall see. You have been long away from our people. Your skills may have grown rusty."
"What skills?" I asked.
"His sexual ones. That is how we court among our kind," Vlad explained.
"Oh, well, I'm not sure about the charm, Gordane may have to practice on that," I said, making Gordane growl.
"But I can vouch for his sexual skills. He's had plenty of practice." A low growl, two low growls behind me, suddenly made me realize how my words could be taken.
"I meant plenty of practice on other women," I hastened to add, looking exasperatedly at Gryphon and Halcyon-where the growls were coming from. "He has an entire harem of at least eighty women, for Pete's sake."
Thankfully the menacing growls subsided.”
0 likes