Start by marking “Days of Night” as Want to Read:
Days of Night

Days of Night

When retired police detective Joe Heller is called in to investigate what might be Antarctica’s first murder, he quickly discovers that winter at McMurdo Station comes with a unique set of challenges: darkness, isolation, and the eccentric behavior of the research facility’s 157 inhabitants. But a difficult investigation turns much tougher when all communication with the ...more
Published August 15th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Days of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Night

Start your review of Days of Night
Dave
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Wonderful top-notch, well-plotted mystery. At first, it reminds you a bit of Asimov's Caves of Steel series with a police detective going to a bubble-like space station separate and apart from the rest of civilization to solve a murder mystery. So, it's sort of a locked room Mystery as is actually discussed in the story but it's a locked room murder mystery weekend in the Catskills taken to the extreme - in a scientific research station at the South Pole with 157 suspects as once winter falls ...more
OutlawPoet
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this, I wasn’t so into it. It just seemed so….dry procedural. While I loved the descriptions of Antarctica and McMurdo, I wanted a thriller and I was getting Joe Friday. I almost stopped reading it.

But a little something happened on the way to the next murder. I started kind of digging this.

Stone gives us a really fascinating thriller, set off by the isolation of the Antarctic wasteland. There’s something about being stuck in the dark and cold while a killer hunts…
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have always read books by Jonathan Stone. Moving Day was one of my favorites of the six I read. So when this book came out on Kindle Unlimited I quickly downloaded it. But as I read I found it was quite a bit different from his previous books.

It takes place in the Antarctica and while it starts off with a death that Joe Heller, a retired cop, has to investigate - the story covers more than enough information of life in the Antarctica. The cold, the isolation, the long weeks of only nights, the
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Review: DAYS OF NIGHT by Jonathan Stone

DAYS OF NIGHT is a Hemingway-esque thriller set on the planet's final frontier, Antarctica. Joseph Heller, detective of long experience, is appointed by the US Marshals' office to investigate an unsolved (possibly unsolvable) cold case murder at McMurdo Station. Heller, for quite serious reasons of his own, welcomes the opportunity. However, the case is really difficult and clearly the killer is highly cunning. His progress is nearly nonexistent-and then
Tobin Elliott
Like a few other reviewers, I wasn't sure about this when I first started it. It had a few strikes against it, like a shit-ton of internal dialogue, and virtually all the action happened off-stage.

But there was also something compelling about it, and it took me a while to figure it out. The first thing is, the author was careful to use dialogue, thoughts, expressions, and clues that all have more than one meaning. The other was the obvious nod to Joseph Heller's brilliant Catch-22 novel. Not in
Lisa
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the start of this book, and about the last 30%. That was it. I wanted to throttle Joe Heller, and the author through most of this plodding story. There was way too much inner dialogue, and it completely ruined the book for me. The actual story would have been a good read. Not a great one, but still good. I was so relieved to get to the end that it didn't even matter "too much," that it fizzled. This isn't a book I'd recommend to anyone, and I don't think I'd ever try to read anything ...more
Anne (w/ an E)
This was a good mystery story. After the mystery is solved I always think "Why didn't I see that?" and this was no exception. The setting was very original - I had not read anything that took place in Antarctica. I even learned a few things about the forgotten continent.
I won this ebook in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Cheryl
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McMurdo Station, Antarctica - "Part ramshackle frontier town, part interplanetary settlement."

I love stories of very cold climes, such as Antarctica, the Arctic Circle, Alaska, Canada. I'm not sure why. I just know that man vs. the frigid cold has always fascinated me.

So this book caught my eye right off. It's basically a locked-room mystery at McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Joe Heller, a retired police detective, is called in to investigate a murder at the Station. He is called in by the U.S.
Sue
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
A superb detective story in an unusual setting - overwintering at McMurdo scientific research base on the edge of the Antarctic ice shelf. This made it a very atmospheric and interesting read, with lots of detail about how the 157 winter residents cope with the extreme temperatures and several months' isolation. The book features a semi-retired detective who is contracted to investigate a murder at the base during the previous winter. He soon adapts to the way of life there - claustrophobic, ...more
Lora
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The book has an interesting premise - a murder mystery during the Antarctica winter, when no one can get in or out. But at the same time, civilization as we know it is could be ending. The book is from 2017 and includes a timely reference to Russia meddling in elections, territorial posturing from Korea, etc. This made the premise seem even scarier.

The book contained interesting information and observations about life on Antarctica, and about how psychologically fragile communities can be. It's
Jonathan Noble
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this audiobook purely based on an advert and the brief synopsis. I have to say that had I listened to a sample first, I might not have made the purchase - the staccato prose was initially off-putting to me, and I did fear that I wasn't going to make it to the end, but I have to say, I was soon gripped. The setting is already mysterious, and the story takes some fantastically unexpected turns. I found myself looking forward to my daily commute, and taking other less necessary car ...more
Oma
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was right there in Antarctica!

This was a gloomy, philosophical novel. I felt almost claustrophobic being there in the continuous night with the detective narrating the story. I felt frustrated with no leads in the murders and really panicked when the very real possibility of a global catastrophe loomed for the Antarctic base inhabitants.
You wouldn't think I'd enjoy this novel but I did. I hated to put it down and re-enter normal life!
Anney
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. I enjoyed the book. Would have liked less introspective Psycho-Social insight. Understanding the mental thought process of a small group of people, stuck in a small and frigid area such as the Antarctic; living in close quarters and having your days and nights turned upside down was important. There was just a little too much of it for me. Had a "Lord Of The Flies" feel about it. I would like to read other book by Mr. Stone in the near future.
Clark
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book, mystery, drama
My review gives extra credit to the author for choosing Antarctica as a venue for this mystery. There is no less exciting place on earth and, yet, Jonathan Stone concocted a plot that not only kept the reader interested but also educated the reader on the unusual aspects of life on that frozen continent. Since Joe Heller told the story in the first person mode, I was actually able to feel how those in Antartica would during the long winter months. For me: 5 Stars!
Renee
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of Days of Night to review from Netgalley.
I am a sucker for stories in the arctic and Antarctica, so I was intrigued by the description of this book: a straight laced cop with few ties back home goes to Antarctica to solve the continent's first murder. He ends up getting much more than he bargained for.
This book is a really interesting take on a traditional police procedural, and investigates human nature much more than I expected.
Christine Irvin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Jonathan Stone sets a murder mystery in a most unlikely place, that of the McMurdo Station in Antarctica. One hundred and 157 people are stationed there; one of them is a murderer. It is former detective Joe Heller's job to figure out who the murderer is. But, before he can do that, two more people wind up dead. Can Heller figure out the mystery before it is too late?
Sandra Small
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chilling!!!!

To say the least!! Brilliantly conjured in the mind of Jonathan Stone in a way that only he can deliver a story! Awakens all the senses as the reader makes their way through each chilling discovery! Bravo, bravo!
SteveH
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Marked down because I guessed the essence of the big mystery early on, more than guessed, a proper Sherlock deduction, whatever remains however improbable... And believe you me it's improbable.
otoh it is a page turner
Alice Tenney
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I live in St Petersburg, Fl, and I knew Hurricane Irma was heading our way. I charged my Kindel and prepared for a long night. I read this book as hurricane approached, hit, and winds died down, it was so good it helped me stay not totally focused on the storm. Thank you.
Susan Baillargeon
Dec 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Don't waste your time

It started out with a decent premise , however the writing style got in the way of delivering the story. The author overstated over embellished every single thought in this book . The ending was predictable .
virginia stricklin
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Long Nights

Good story that kept getting lost in all the thinking and talking . I started turning pages without reading them and still found I had not missed any of the storyline.
Susan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Stone's plotting and natural dialogue would have made this a great read in any event. The philosophical overlay made it outstanding as you wonder what you would think and feel in that situation. Strongly recommend!
Julie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
It was highly unusual to read a book set in Antarctica. I know it was not all factual by any means but it was interesting to learn more about a place I knew so little about.
J
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Timely.
The narration style might not be to everyone's taste but I enjoyed the intrigue and the exploration of "group delusion".
Celia Barry
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good and I loved the setting - Antarctica.

I'd give this a 3.5.
Lyn Maines
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling

Great book to read. Had me hooked from the beginning. Good twists and the plot became more believable as each chapter finished.
Bill Beeghley
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unusual story. Somewhat drawn out.
Kathy west
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I read this in one sitting, couldn't put it down. It kept me guessing right up to the end. Wow!
keith portale
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good read

A very enjoyable read. Thought provoking, as well as captivating. Highly recommend. Looking forward to reading more of Jonathan stone's
Dayna
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
It had potential, but the flat narrative voice left me cold. The bit about T3 was interesting, however.
I received a copy from a Goodreads giveaway.
Eerie 1 1 Aug 28, 2017 02:22PM

• Third Party
  • Bart of Darkness (The Book of Bart - Verse 2)
  • Bart's Inferno (The Book of Bart 3)
  • Road (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #2)
  • In My Father's Basement
  • Morgan's Run
  • Gilchrist
  • The Book of Bart
  • Flash
  • The Relic Hunters (The Relic Hunters #1)
  • The Diplomatic Spy: Welcome to clever illusion and cold-hearted treachery (Simon Montfort Book 1)
Jonathan Stone, author of the Julian Palmer novels, is a graduate of Yale University, where he was a Scholar of the House in Fiction Writing and twice won the English Department's John Hubbard Curtis Prize for Best Imaginative Writing. He works in advertising and lives in Connecticut with his wife and two children.