Start by marking “Joy: 100 Poems” as Want to Read:
Joy: 100 Poems

Joy: 100 Poems

One hundred of the most evocative modern poems on joy, selected by an award-winning contemporary poet

Christian Wiman, a poet known for his meditations on mortality, has long been fascinated by joy and by its relative absence in modern literature. Why is joy so resistant to language? How has it become so suspect in our times? Manipulated by advertisers, religious leaders,
Published November 7th 2017 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy

Roy Howard
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joy? One might blanch at the thought of poems on a subject that seems frivolous in the face of such suffering in the world. That’s understandable. The author himself is no stranger to personal suffering. That story is told in his memoir “My Bright Abyss: Meditation of a Modern Believer.” Here he takes up a bold exposition of joy through a selection of 100 poems collected from an array of poets. Along the way he admits joy is “that tired word … used to peddle soap and salvation, the word requires ...more
Barry
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
What an inspired idea - joy may be best expressed through poetry, rather than through a rational exposition. I have to admit though that I enjoyed Wiman’s introductory essay more than many of the poems included in this volume. I’m sure the fault is all mine. Proper appreciation of poetry is one of my many deficiencies. I really liked some of these poems, but I admit, it’s true, my favorite poem is still “Thomas Was a Little Glutton.” Yes, that one brings me joy.
Wiman’s essay was so insightful I
Billy Jepma
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is arguably one of the most important and meaningful poetry anthologies I’ve ever read. The collection that Christian Wiman has put together here is diverse, lovely, sometimes strange, and always affecting. Each poem frames the idea of “joy” in its own distinct way, lending the anthology an exciting degree of discovery that feels deeply personal and yet universally applicable. I can’t recommend this book enough, and will be inevitably forcing it upon anyone and everyone I can.
Amanda
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute joy to read. :)
Mark
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, essays
This is a vote for the blessings of serendipity. I scooped this up from the new book section at Carnegie Mellon University, and was rewarded with a wonderful selection of poems and essay excerpts on the subject of joy.

As editor Christian Wiman notes in the introductory essay, joy is not the same as happiness -- it is less frequent, something we have less control over, and often has a strong streak of the spiritual, which is reflected in the fact that the Yale Center for Faith and Culture helped
Stephen Lamb
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kept up my tradition of retreating to a quiet place (Edgar Evins State Park this time) for the first read-through of a new Christian Wiman book, and it was wonderful—and a much-needed respite from recent busyness. The collection starts with an essay thinking about the word “joy,” followed by a hundred poems that were written by poets born during or after modernism, because Wiman “wanted specifically to explore what joy means for poets at this moment in history.” Mixed in with the poems are sente ...more
Dina
The anthology left me speechless. It’s a joyful experience. I found myself smiling, chuckling, and sometimes getting all teary as I read it. I felt a sense of awe and bliss. And sometimes I felt nothing. It’s utterly beautiful.

I tend to have an aversion to texts and literature about “positive” emotions and feelings because self-help books and such have turned it into something of a commodity, a pathetic and insincere object that you can achieve if you try hard enough. But Wiman does something e
Renée
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christian Wiman's anthology JOY: 100 POEMS is an antidote for these difficult times. I've found new writers and beautiful poems. It's quiet and wonderful, sincere and heartfelt. I'm so grateful my poet friend Susan Blackwell Ramsey (I love Susan Blackwell Ramsey's poetry collection "A Mind Like This" from University of Nebraska Press) recommended this anthology and the practice of reading a poem from the anthology every morning. Definitely a way to cultivate joy.
Michelle B
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this anthology of poetry which all have the theme of Joy. Although I read a Kindle version, it would make a great coffee table book as it’s one I will undoubtably go back to time and time again.
Christian Wiman has written a wonderful introduction to the 100 poems which includes consideration of what constitutes joy and uses examples of some of the poems from the anthology to demonstrate this. I particularly enjoyed reading the latter since it includes Christian’s interpretation
Shari McCullough
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I took my sweet time with this anthology of poetry with the topic of joy edited by Christian Wiman.
Wiman, a gifted and accomplished poet, opens with an expansive essay regarding the nuances of joy. I found his words and the pieces of poetry assigned to other poets to flesh out more broadly the sources of the small word "joy". Joy is not frivolous fluff. It can make its presence known in a variety of circumstances and characteristics. The publication of this book now is timely as so much appears
Michelle Kidwell
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Joy100 Poemsby Christian WimanYale University PressPoetryPub Date 07 Nov 2017I am reviewing a copy of Joy through Yale University Press and Netgalley:In this collection poet Christian Wiman has compiled a collection of modern poetry dealing with Joy. A subject matter he feels is often neglected in modern literature.This anthology is a collection of Joy Poems by poets who were join during or after modernism.Despite the title of this collection Joy deals with many aspects of life, not only Joy but ...more
Chelsey
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot think of a better way to share the meaning and essence of joy than to compile a book of poems. Each poem is thoughtfully chosen by Christian Wiman, and although they aren't all necessarily ABOUT joy (some of the poems don't even mention the word), it's clear that each poem is rooted in the expression of joy.

The first chapters of the book include Mr. Wiman's ruminations on joy and how they are expressed in poetry. Even thought the poems speak for themselves, I don't think I would have e
Prcs Rambharose
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Main Thing I enjoy about Good reads is being able to read books I would not normally choose ,It broaden's one's horizon's as a reader. And takes you completely out of your normal reading comfort Zone!!!!
For Instance I would not normally consider reading a Poetry book ! My Favourite poems in this book are as follows 1.Summer Kitchen...Donald Hall....Page 34
2.The Moose ...Elizabeth Bishop... Pages 44 -50
3.Coming ...Philip Larkin .... Page 136 .
As well as a 100 Poems by various poets, the bo
Liz Shine
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of poems and also excerpts from prose that all attempt to offer some insight in regard to defining Joy. I love the idea of this--to pull together pieces that approach a subject and see if you can create a larger conversation about that subject. It would make a neat project for my students, perhaps a way to understanding theme. I might incorporate it for my 9th grade classes next year... There were many poems I loved in here and had not read before: "Hag Riding" by Lucil ...more
Michael Joseph
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thee book I would take if I had the choice before getting stranded on a “desert island”, wherever those are. I would read 4 pages and stop for days and days thinking on these poems, honoring them. They made me like Ted Hughes who I felt obligated to hate. They made me see Frost a different way (which I thought couldn’t be done anymore). It’s the only book I can confidently buy for people who just experienced death or birth. There’s days where I can only want love to be real - this book though is ...more
Kathy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is no better view into someone's soul, no better connection with all of humanity than by reading poetry (in my humble opinion).

Wiman presents a nice anthology of 100 poems based on joy. How wonderful to have such a book to curl up with in a quiet place and absorb!

If you enjoy poetry, this will make a good addition to your collection.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Yale University Press for sending me an e-copy of this book!
Bridget
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites, poetry
All of us, inching toward an understanding of what joy is. That is what this anthology is. I thought, upon starting my read, that it might tend toward the saccharine. But I had faith because of the other work I've seen from Wiman. And the sweetness I found in this book, it was not overwhelming. It was the perfect amount. There was also that deep, black well I sense at the bottom of joy. What a wonderful collection.
Sam Schedler

Procedure by Jo Shapcott
Degan Walters
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I have what comes close to a poetry addiction - Inread a poem every day and I mark up all my books with underlines and dog ears so it really is a thing that I abandoned this book about 2/3’s of the way in and found only one poem that I connected with. I so wanted it to be better but the collection is weak and tainted with Christian overtones. I wish there was a warning for that.
Thom
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A marvelous introduction exploring the meaning of “joy” with some thoughtful reflection on the affinities between poetry and religion. The selections of poems are mixed in their appeal, but that is always true. I particularly appreciate the multicultural approach. Several poems are translated into English.
John
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is a lot of wisdom and beauty in these pages. Wiman intersperses a number of quotations throughout the book that enhance or expand or comment upon the themes of the poetry. I appreciate the diverse collection Wiman has brought to bear on this subject, the poetry consistently surprising and fresh as it comments on joy in 100 different ways.
Cbarrett
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wiman’s introduction is thoughtful and offers insights into the experience of joy, and develops one of his emphases of finding joy in suffering through poetry.

Many enjoyable poems; he has collected a wide variety within one volume.

Enjoyable.
Jane
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable collection of poems from a wide variety of poets about joy. As with any collection of poems, I enjoyed reading some over others. Some were about a more bittersweet sort of joy. I won an advanced reading copy of this book from the publisher as part of the Goodreads Giveaways program.
Drew
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book I will pick up again and again. Worth reading for the intro and quotes alone. The fact that you get 100 mostly incredible poems on a topic that is so necessary and hard to talk about is what makes this essential reading.
Liaken
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I found this to be an uneven and unsatisfying collection. This may be because I do not have a similar taste in poetry as the editor. Also, the extent of religious theme felt unaware and tipped the anthology in ways that diminished the concept of the collection.
Riegs
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**Received ARC from publisher through Goodreads Giveaways.**

Excellent selection. A good one to keep around if you need a little poetry to make you feel good again on a dark day.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Loved it. Refreshing, sweet, bitter. Beautiful!
Tamara
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
incredible & comforting, as tends to happen in every project where Christian Wiman is involved
Linda Gaines
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wiman chooses 100 pieces of poetry that reflect on Joy. My favorites were by Richard Wilbur, Sara Teasdale, Donald Hall and the prose of Marilynne Robinson.
Conrad
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Modern poetry at its best, with all its honesty and immanence, without cynicism or gratuitous angst. Innocence and transcendence. Everything Wiman touches I find powerful.

• Pity the Beautiful: Poems
  • A Timbered Choir: The Sabbath Poems, 1979-1997
  • New and Collected Poems: 1931-2001
  • Otherwise: New and Selected Poems
  • Between Angels
Christian Wiman is an American poet and editor born in 1966 and raised in West Texas. He graduated from Washington and Lee University and has taught at Northwestern University, Stanford University, Lynchburg College in Virginia, and the Prague School of Economics. In 2003 he became editor of the oldest American magazine of verse, Poetry.