Start by marking “Mechanisms of Despair” as Want to Read:
Mechanisms of Despair

Mechanisms of Despair

A brutal blend of Lovecraftian horror, dark fiction, and psychological thrillers, prepare for suspense!

Welcome to the Mechanisms of Despair. In this chilling collection of horror short stories, you will find tales of the macabre, stories of suicide, and psychological thrillers.

This collection will raise money for two very good causes- the pubisher is donating its proce
Published April 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Mechanisms of Despair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mechanisms of Despair

Jack Stark
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
A good collection of very dark horror stories that centre on the themes of death, suicide, and delusional mental illness with a little bit of the supernatural thrown in. My favourite story in the collection was of course Dog of the Dead, with The Present coming in a close second. Buller writes with great imagination and tension, with added blood curdling descriptions and gore. I liked how each story felt very gritty, and how there was a few twists thrown in along the way.

An enjoyable and solid
Renee
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not a single dud

Really enjoyed this collection. Each story is either chilling or haunting or a bit of both. My personal favorite, though, is Dog of the Dead.
The Grim Reader
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gary Buller first appeared on my book radar when reading the Monsters Exist anthology. His story, Wicked Congregation, really stood out for me due to its originality, and it did so inside a book that featured other great stories. It was perhaps a no-brainer that I decided to pick up his recently released short story collection, Mechanisms of Despair. A great reason for you to pick up this book of horror shorts is because the money raised from sales is going to The Alzheimers Foundation and Sarco ...more
Eddie Generous
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unnerving Magazine Review
It’s always a toss-up as to what you visit the work a newish author, especially when it’s the author’s first standalone outing. Sometimes you’re let down. Sometimes there’s a juicy nugget here or there, but on the whole, jumping into the land lesser-known indies can be murky travels.
There is nothing to worry about here.
Mechanisms of Despair was a bit of a surprise in themes. Perhaps that he paid homage to one of my favorite short stories made into film,
S.J. Budd
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I started reading Mechanisms of Despair just before going to bed, which was a big mistake as I found myself plunged into an existential crisis. Why is there so much darkness in the world? Is everyone really out to kill me? What's on the other side? Should I ever stay in hotel again? Is Christmas safe? What really happened in the war? And so forth and so forth.

But by morning I had recovered enough to carry on with this dark collection of short stories. There are seven tales in all.
Daniel Russell
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short collection of stories and I didn't really know what to expect being unfamiliar with the author's style. Let's just say that the title is fitting, with a bunch of stories with the salient theme of loss and suicide. This really should could come with a suicide hotline helpline. 'If you have been affected by any of the themes of this book, please call...'

The standout of this book is the almost Lynchian nightmare scenes of bizarre imagery and the saturation of dread, like e
S.E. Casey
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Looking for a new author? Give Brit Gary Buller a bash. Seven stories of psychological leaning horror written with a truly enthusiastic style and verve. Learn the mysteries of room 454, a Christmas present from hell, and a quaint English style pub full of memories and monsters. Also, enjoy the nascent literary talents of daughter Holly who pens a tale about an existentially contemplative zombie dog. Yep, and she's six! You will also be helping out two charities close to the author and publisher' ...more
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I dig Gary Buller's short stories, so I kind of knew what to expect going into this collection. I found Gary's writing by way of MONSTERS EXIST, an anthology that featured Wicked Congregation. He surprised the hell out of me, though. He blew my high expectations out of the water. These stories unnerve and send shivers down your spine.

Gary kicks things off with The Way Out. The story is both terrifying and sad. The ending punches you right in the chest.

Escape is a fun read. It's about fringe sc
Morgan K Tanner
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Horror stories are supposed to freak you out. The best ones take you to places and scenes that could feasibly occur in your everyday life, and give them a horrifying twist that will stay with you for a long time. And this, is exactly what's going on here.

If you want a short collection of grotesque, horrific, and tragic stories (these are all good things, by the way) with cringe-inducing gore and terrifying situations you feel like you're actually in, then go get involved with this co
Bonnie Racki
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thrilling

This is my first book that I've read by Gary Buller and I found all the stories interesting and intriguing. All the stories are psychological and makes you wanting more.

I really enjoyed all the stories but, my favorites were "Escape" and "The Way In" which both take place at The Renfield Hotel where many mysterious things seem to happen.

My absolute favorite was "The Present". It's the present that you don't want to receive because it makes bad things happen.

I liked how "Into The Fire
S. Martinez
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this collection of short stories by Mr. Buller is a fantastic read that blew me away. Each story was supremely unique from the other, and each one was a great read! There wasn't any story in this collection that I didn't enjoy. My top favorites were The Present and Into the Fire. I'm highly anticipating Gary Buller's future releases.
M.R. Tapia
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mechanisms of Despair is a perfect name for this collection. As soon as I began reading it I was captivated. With intertwining stories like The Way Out, and The Way In, to true despair like Escape, I started reading the collection and finished it in one late night. Add to the great writing the authors huge heart. Not only are the proceeds going to sarcoma and Alzheimer's charities, Buller gave his daughter, Hollie, her time to shine by including her own horror story. No regrets with this purchas ...more
Kent Corlain
Mar 05, 2018
Kameron
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars: (review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

Horror movies draw audiences because people love to be scared. People read thriller novels for the same exact reason. When you sit down to read the haunting short stories in Mechanisms of Despair, you definitely will be creeped the eff out by more than one story. For me, I am so glad I read the hair-raising tales in the light of day.

Ok, I might spook easier than most people but a couple weirded me out big time. Take for
Jessika Uhl