Start by marking “The Best of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
The Best of Edgar Allan Poe

The Best of Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe (1809 – 1849) was an American author, poet, editor, and literary critic, considered part of the American Romantic Movement. Best known for his tales of mystery and the macabre, Poe was one of the earliest American practitioners of the short story, and is generally considered the inventor of the detective fiction genre. He is further credited with contributi ...more
Audible Audio
Published November 27th 2008 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Edgar Allan Poe

Lora
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classics and/or horror fiction; people who are looking to follow up Creagh's Nevermore
Born in the early 19th century only to die from unknown causes a mere forty years later, Edgar Allan Poe is, undoubtedly, one of the most recognizable and influencial authors of all time. His works have provided the inspiration for many of the stories we enjoy today. And although his life was short, he made a long-lasting impact on the world of English literature.
In this auditory collection his fans get to hear several of his stories and poems come to life in a fantastical way. These stories are
Brittany
Great to read around Halloween time!
Jolie
The best of the best! You can't go wrong with this collection of Poe's classics.
Aaron Hand
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for my next book to read (listen to). It was Poe's birthday. So there you have it. I actually own a book that is the complete works of EAP, but I never seem to get around to actually reading things in print. So I found this audio book that seemed like a pretty good collection. I thoroughly enjoyed these stories, so now I might have to actually pull out that dusty old volume and read some more!
Erika Hayes
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poe, you love him or hate him... I fall in the love column. I don't really know how to review the collection.. .It was not the Audio CD but it was the only one I could find that was a collection of his works. Still my favorite.... The Conqueror Worm.
My Audiobooks
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
My biggest fear is my premature burial before my death.
Chelsea Ducote
Entertaining and morbid.
Jeni
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-etc-2018
Listened to this on audiobook. Reader (Todd McLaren) was just ok & I think that detracted from enjoying these as much as I have in the past.
LeAnn
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forget how much he liked to bury people alive.
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read a limited amount of Poe in school, but I'm glad I got a chance at these other stories now. They weren't anything exceedingly creepy, but they were suspenseful and memorable. Sometimes, the classic style of the writing dragged a bit or the reveal was a bit overdramatic. Sometimes, Poe's writing is also predictable, but predictable in a way that builds suspense in wondering if you're right about what you're guessing at. The best (read as most horrific) tales seemed to only hint at the maca ...more
Mirra
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-psa
This was not the exact copy that I read but I couldn't find a copy on here of the one I read. This had all his classics and more. I just had a Poe overload but it was worth it. I've always loved the the Pendulum and the Pit. ♥
Only 4 stars because some of his stories I love and some of his stories I dont. What I love about him though, is that he makes me slightly uncomfortable as I read him (generally when dealing with a story with animal abuse in it, I admit I am silly that way)...but it is tha
Natalie
Poe was a complete maverick when it comes to the horror genre. I find the premises of his stories to be really intriguing. I find the quality of the writing, however, to not be somewhat awkward and not nearly as strong as the premise. But, I very much recognize that the horror genre would not be what it is today without the work of this amazingly imaginative and dark writer.
Michele
Todd McLaren did a wonderful job of narrator. I just had to concentrate so much as to what he was saying, Poe' s doing, and lost enjoyment in the stories.
Kevin
I cannot say that he is a favorite writer of mine, this Book on CD was a compilation of his writings. Some stories I enjoyed, others I did not. There came a time I was just eager to finish and get on to something different.
Beth Younge
Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed this audiobook.
The works of Mr Poe are quite grisly and suspense filled! An enjoyable collection of his works.
Chris Jamison
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my Favorite Authors. And these selections are well read by Mr. Blake (Audio CD).
Jill
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit repetitive in scenarios and vocabulary, but enough fun to get through for Halloween season.
Keith Bell
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original master of horror. Stephen King's got nothing on this man!!
Theresa Hildebrand
Haven't read any Poe for decades, deliciously macabre. Creepily uncomfortable stories, just delightful.
Delta
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the narration. Very haunting and beautiful. I've always loved Poe and I'm glad I got to listen to someone read his stories.
Kimberlyn
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great revisit of stories I've loved for decades.
Lauren
Even re-reading these stories, they still scare me
Noah Munroe