Start by marking “Clash of Chaos (Evermage Prequels #1)” as Want to Read:
Clash of Chaos (Evermage Prequels #1)

Clash of Chaos

(Evermage Prequels #1)

A soldier's life is thrown into turmoil when he discovers that he can wield magic

As the sole survivor of a surprise attack on his battalion, Deinre, a soldier of the High Keep, promises to reunite the princess he's sworn to protect with her family. However, his journey uncovers a conspiracy that threatens the very foundation of his kingdom...

Jump into the world of

Published March 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Clash of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clash of Chaos

Start your review of Clash of Chaos (Evermage Prequels #1)
Esme
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Plot:
Deinre is the main character and the book starts out with him and a group of soldiers escorting a princess back to her castle. Things go very wrong when an army of blindfolded and enchanted soldiers tear through their garrison killing almost everyone. Deinre and the Princess are thought to be the sole survivors. Hes trying to lead her back through the woods to her castle in an attempt to avoid the unnatural army.

They are rescued by a giant bird whos being possessed in a way by a Wizard who
Melissa
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, ya
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Clash of Chaos by Trip Ellington is the first in a new standalone trilogy in the Evermage series. This book is written in third-person but is almost completely from Deinre's point-of-view with only a couple instances of a different point-of-view character. This is an epic fantasy origin story. The writing is excellent and the characters are interesting and well-developed.

The book flows nicely, it isn't action-packed, but
Katherine
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

This is a really good book, easy to fall into and very well imagined. It heralds the start of a truly fascinating trilogy.

The book starts with a bang, with a soldier in a forest feeling that something is wrong and trouble is coming. From there the story runs head long as we fast learn that this soldier, Deinre, has magic, which saves his life and upends it from everything he knew. From saving a princess to becoming a pirate his life takes a
Jeremy Guebert
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. I am attempting to keep this review as free of spoilers as possible, but it's inevitable that some comments/thoughts might hint at certain plot elements.

The protagonist was sympathetic, and I enjoyed watching him grow into his magical abilities.

The main antagonist was well-written - creepy powers, believable motivations, but easily identifiable as the villain - they are definitely a jerk.

The magic
S.B.
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this ebook free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

In the beginning, this fast-paced action adventure had me nearly as confused as Deinre, the protagonist. What was coming next? But the break neck celerity slowed in good time allowing me, and Deinre, to make sense of all that had occurred to this point. Everything pulled together well and proved to be so much more than just another action adventure (which it isn't)!

Deinre met a wide range of unique and interesting characters,
Trisha Perry
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The way of the soldier is a pretty cut and dry, same old, same old. That is until the day comes when said soldier finds out he is not your everyday soldier but a magic user, green eyes and all. Deinre, the last soldier alive after a surprise attack that takes his best friend life, but he had promised this friend to protect the princess and help to get her back to her home and family. So despite the princesses shortcoming Deinre does just that and at his own expense.

This is a wonderful action and
C.L.
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Action, Adventure, and Magic Galore!

I enjoyed Evermage: Clash of Chaos. Trip Ellington, the author, does a good job of developing the characters. The protagonist, Deinre, is likeable and at times, philosophical; Lady Falloran (Falla), another significant character, is resourceful and intelligent; and Triestiesse is brave and loyal. There's a terrific battle scene at the beginning of the novel and the action just keeps building in this stand-alone prequel to the Evermage Trilogy. Yes, there are
Naticia
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series
This took a little time to get going, but was definitely worth finishing. The first half felt slow only because we kept getting introduced to new sets of characters, so it almost felt that the book restarted a few times. Once it got going, though, the action picked up and I flew through the second half.

I would call this noblebright - the main character develops over the book by staying true to himself and not giving up hope, despite all the terrible, no good, very bad things that happen to him.
Irma Lero
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced, magical adventure with a great storyline, very well developed characters and very descriptive scenes. Enjoyed Deinre's journey from street rat to soldier to saving and protecting Princess Falla to being magical.

I enjoyed this magical fantasy and the flow of the storyline and a definite page turner. Does need some editing but didn't deter me from reading this book.

Looking forward to seeing where Deinre's next adventure takes us.
Ashley
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fantasy! I thought the characters and the powers were really interesting. They added something unique to the genre and made for a fun book! There are a good amount of twists as well. As for action it's not wall to wall, but there are some good sequences in there that will really get the blood pumpin!

A great first book in a series I think will be excellent!

I received an arc of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.
Jeremy Spring
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, nearly completely. SInce I couldnt find any inside blurby bits about characters, I am still not sure how to pronounce the main characters name (Deinre=Day-nar?) and that did in a very mild way bug me. That said, its the only problem with this tome I found, so it was a very enjoyable read. Loved it.
Fee Roberts
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017, own
Clash of Chaos by Trip Ellington is the first book of the Evermage Prequels. Deinre is a soldier whom finds he can wield magic.

This was an interesting read. The characters were believable, and it's pretty imaginative. I did find a couple of discrepancies, though I overlooked them as it did not hinder my reading.

I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.
Dionne
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

This was a great book and I found myself suspending all belief. Deinre was a great character and I loved the way he was created. It was like h actually came to life in the book that I couldn't stop reading it. Again great story and I hope he and Falls and the other characters survive whatever you planned for them especially Deinre.
Richard
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first EverMage book to read by Trip and I enjoyed it. I loved the storyline and Trip always does a great job of describing his world like you were there experiencing it as it's happening. Fantasy is not my regular genre but I would still recommend this one for reading.
Francisco Magdiel
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the book

A near perfect presume to the EverMage saga. Waiting for more. Accion, intrigue and magic. Can't wait to read more adventures.
Jim Dragon
Alwizah
May 25, 2017
Christopher Rodgers
Apr 20, 2017

• Morrigan's Bidding (Binding Words, #1)
  • Life Bonds (Binding Words, #2)
  • Island Jumper
  • Island Jumper 2
  • Leap of Faith (Anura Rising: Book One): A Kingdom Building Fantasy Litrpg Series
  • Island Jumper 3
  • Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon, Vol. 1 (Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon Light Novels, #1)
  • One More Last Time (The Good Guys, #1)
  • Dungeon Mauling (The Good Guys, #3)
  • Heir Today, Pawn Tomorrow (The Good Guys, #2)
  • Four: The Loot (The Good Guys, #4)
  • Dukes and Ladders (The Good Guys, #5)
  • Home, Siege Home (The Good Guys, #6)
  • The Commanders Tale (Limitless Lands #1)
  • Web of Worlds (Reality Benders, #4)
  • The Way of the Shaman. Step 1: The Beginning: Volume One (The Way of the Shaman Comic Book)
  • A Jump into the Unknown (Reality Benders, #5)
  • The Singularity Trap
Trip Ellington's major books for 2017 are EverMage: Clash of Chaos, EverMage: Bond of Magic, and Gauntlet of Time.

You can get his bestselling litRPG novel, Game Alive, for free on his website.

Trip Ellington was born in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He has worked as a website designer, a Computer Science teaching assistant at the University of North Carolina, and an intern at a magazine publisher.

News & Interviews