Start by marking “Losing Joe's Place” as Want to Read:
Losing Joe's Place

Losing Joe's Place

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  736 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Jason and his two friends move into Jason's brother's apartment and manage to wreak havoc in it during one funny and memorable summer.
Published October 1st 1991 by Turtleback Books (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Losing Joe's Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing Joe's Place

Beth
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I remember reading this for the first time so clearly. I was probably ten or twelve or thereabouts. I didn't think it was as immediately funny as other Gordon Korman books, but I remember telling my friend that it built to an amazing crescendo, where all its threads came together in a way that made me laugh until I couldn't breathe.

I learned something this weekend: I don't only like the books I read when I was younger because of nostalgia. I like them because they're good books. And I know that
Marilyn
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadiana
Gordon Korman is one of the great Canadian authors not because his writings are commentaries on life but because his writing is just so entertaining. For example, this particular book has a character named Rootbeer Racinette. For those of you who do not read French, that's Rootbeer Rootbeer.
Freda
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I know is corny, and not very good, but I liked anyway. It's a teenager book, and I know this. No one else is going to like it but teenagers. But I enjoyed it all the same. It's like that one action movie that you know sucks and are embarrassed to tell anyone you like but you watch it over and over again all the same.
Rabia
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was Great I've been searching every where on what this book was called because i forgot.i finally found it. My brother brought it home one day from school. it was just lying there on the floor so i read it one day, and i could not stop. I totally recommend this book for boys and girls.
Marshall
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of my favourite books of all time. I know, it's corny, it's simple, and it's written for children. Probably 3/3 of the necessary ingredients for a successful book (at least in my opinion)
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grab a bowl of Chocolate Memory and settle in for a fantastic read. You will be laughing from the beginning as Jason, Mr. Wonderful and The Peach have the summer of their lives. The only rule for the summer is that they cannot lose Joe’s “best deal in town” apartment and of course shenanigans ensue. This is definitely a Gordon Korman classic!
Connor
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book called “Losing Joe’s Place” by Gordon Korman. This is the first time I have read one of his books. This book was very entertaining and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I liked the way it is written and the humor is reoccurring. Overall it was a great read and I would read it again.

The book starts out with Jason and Joe fighting over losing his apartment in Toronto. Joe is Jason’s older brother. Joe is a bodybuilder and model. Joe went overseas to shoot for a calendar while Jason, Ferguso
Angus Somerton
"Whatever you do, don't lose me this lease!" This is exactly what Joe tells his little brother Jason before he goes off to live in Joe's apartment for the summer. Joe is going to Europe for the summer so Jason and his friends Don and Ferguson get to live in his Toronto apartment.
The boys become depressed when they find out that Joe lives in a poor part of town in an old apartment building. They head into the actual apartment, which turns out to be Amazing.
The next day, the three musketeers begin
Lana.
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the back cover, Kevin, my ten year old nephew, said, "It's weird." And he put it down.

Wacky was more like it. Gordon Korman books, as I remembered it, always had a logical progression of events, but between all the strange characters and situations, they snowball into something completely surreal.

This book is no different. That's why it's on my shelf. I picked it up again and read.

Jason and his two best friends are allowed to stay in his big brother's, Joe's, appartment for the summer. T
Gabriel C.
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookriot2015
It's definitely no Son of Interflux (at least as seen in my rose tinted memory), but it will do. Extremely embarrassing as only something that's *just* dated enough can be (perhaps especially so for the provincialism of rural Ontario compounding the provincialism of Canada generally); also tedious in its repeated motifs. The characters are all unlikeable, irredeemably so, and their world's bureaucracy is maddening in its intractability without actually being interesting or creepy or anything. So ...more
Noah
Losing Joe's place is about a boy who has his older brothers house to himself and his friends for a couple of days. His older brother comes back and the place is for lease. Joe's younger brother had lost the lease and everything was falling apart.
I can connect this book to real life because people lose important things of there friends or family sometimes.I can connect this to The outsiders because Pony boy did some bad things and had to go away for a while.
I would give this book a three star
Marlene
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Great middle/high school humorous approach to living on your own, keeping a job, learning to cook, and dating. Two Teens join their friend as he takes over big brother Joe's place for the summer. Enter some seShady new acquaintances and some creative solutions to clearly preventable mishaps and you have the perfect ingredients for a "chocolate surprise" complete with whipped cream and cherry.
This laugh-out-loud tale of Gordan Korman's would be great as a read-aloud, or, as I intend to use it to
Pyrate Queen
"Whatever you do, don't lose me this lease, "Joe Cardone warns his sixteen-year-old brother Jason when Joe finds himself jetsetting to Europe for a summer wrestling tour.

Jason and his two friends, Don and Peach, travel from their small Canadian town to Toronto to work at Don's uncle's plant. Problem is, Peach, being the computer whiz that he is, figures out a way to save Don's uncle lots of money and ends up getting Don and Jason fired. A whole summer ahead of them and rent due on the first of e
Annette
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
First read this as a teen, and re-read recently. It's definitely a youth book - that is and always has been Korman's market - but it's enjoyable. Not, perhaps, as laugh-out-loud funny as when I was 15, but still funny. I remembered a surprising amount of it on the re-read, which is usually a sign of an imaginative, unique book. The boys' evil landlord and their terrifying roommate Rootbeer Rancinette are especially colorful. Korman has always been a favorite youth humor author of mine: I've coll ...more
Nordic21
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is defiantly for pre-teens and teens. I could so relate to the book because of the locations used. Going to a big city and working would be the only escape.
I've never read a book that could come close to compare with the plot, very original. Sure Korman had a lot of chance in the book, but I liked it over all, the way everything seemed to be realistic.
George Ilsley
This YA novel was published 25 years ago and is an example of what YA books used to be like. Good clean fun. No swearing or drugs.

The plot is a fantasy, almost as bad as many Hollywood movies. The writing is clear and it does zip right along.
Carol L. Millman
One of my all time favourite books when I was a teenager. The characters are fantastic, the story is funny, and the themes of unemployment, trying to make rent, and finding your niche are all very well done.
Monique
This book is a little hard to review for me. I liked it, interesting storyline, but the some little details brought it down a little bit. The ending was a little unrealistic and I thought this seemed a little too crazy. Well written though.
Rivkah
This book is about: A young kid (I forget his name) who uses up all his money and has to get a job with his three friends at a bubble wand factory. He also takes over for a while, the sour manager's shop, creating a new recipe.
Nicole Luiken
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, canadian
Another nostalgic reread to my son. I had a great time voicing Mr. Plotnick, the irascible landlord and deli owner. Chocolate Memories, hubcaps, and serial hobbyist/tough guy Rootbeer Racinette = lots of shenanigans as Jason and his two friends spend the summer in Toronto.
Anna
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OMG I picked this up and meant to read just the first chapter tonight, but I couldn't put it down. This was one of those books that I would check out from the library AGAIN and AGAIN when I was little. I can't even sum up its awesomeness. I adore Gordon Korman and this book especially.
Hank
Apr 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
I didn't realize it at the time, but this felt like NYC when he described the perfect apartment, and the start of a business so crazy that it succeeds :D Great book - never saw the movie, though, I suspect it disappoints.
Vestal Public Library
This book is my favorite book. Well one of them. I reccomend this book to everyone. Its really funny. Its got Comedy, action, a little romance. Its got something for everyone, boys and girls.
Check it out. I loved it so much i went out and bought it.
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason and his friends stay in his big brother's big city apartment for the summer. A five-star book through the multiple, multiple re-reads of my childhood, and still funny and original enough to earn four stars now.
Karen Chow
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yafiction
The book made me laugh out loud. It is one of Korman's best ideas.
Ardie
Although the character Jason drove me crazy, this book made me laugh out loud several times.
Connor
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is full of laughter but this book is completely unrealistic. I can recommend this book for young readers
Kent Brindley
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read about a Summer of friendship.
Hannah
Equally as hilarious as Toliet Paper Tigers, if not more so. I had Ben in hysterics as we read this together, and anyone who knows Ben's attitude towards reading knows that is truly an achievement.
Ashton
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a funny, entertaining book.
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Locavore: From Farmers' Fields to Rooftop Gardens - How Canadians Are Changing the Way We Eat
  • Strange Heaven
  • Graffiti Knight
  • Girls with Slingshots, Vol. 5
  • Journal infime (Lou!, #1)
  • The Stamp Collector
  • Forbidden City
  • It's an Aardvark-Eat-Turtle World
  • Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Haunted
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • Secrets of the Shopping Mall
  • Goyangi Means Cat
  • A Fate Totally Worse Than Death
  • Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...