Start by marking “The Nearest Faraway Place” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Griff and Dylan are driving into Manhattan with their parents when the worst happens. There is a terrible car accident and Dylan and Griff's parents are killed.

The boys are suddenly orphans with nowhere to go, until a kind aunt and uncle give them a new home in Wales. Now Dylan and Griff have everything they need love, a happy home and a future. But Dylan is worried about
Published July 13th 2017 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nearest Faraway Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nearest Faraway Place

Kübra Nur
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-favorileri
4.5 yıldız. Çok güzeldi, dokunaklıydı. Sevdim ❤ ...more
Kirsti
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OK, so after ten minutes of sobbing I'm ready to review this book. No I'm not. I had to get out of the house, stand on the porch and do some of those breathy exercises so I could come and review, so yeah. No idea why this one hit me so much in the feels, but it sneaked in and there we have it. I actually cry a lot; at videos from the Dodo, sad songs, and of course, sad books. It is almost therapeutic, but this one really hit me out of no where. OK, so.

I can talk about almost nothing of the plot
Ömer
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.45/5

Çok tatlıydı :) Yorumu için: http://kronikokur.blogspot.com.tr/201...
Marie Andrews
Review also here: https://lotsoflivres.com/2017/07/09/t...

The Nearest Faraway Place tells the story of brothers, Griff and Dylan, as they come to terms with a devastating family tragedy and the uncertain future which lies ahead for them. The novel is split between the US and then later on, Aberystwyth in Wales as the brothers try to settle down and overcome this event to help build their futures, with Griff and Dylan having very different paths ahead of themselves.

This book. Just WOW. Like with
Ombeline
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lan2018, young-adults
Je sais pas a quoi je m'attendais en ouvrant ce livre, mais certainement pas à ça !
Un très bon roman poétique et plein d'émotions.
Sonja Lovinbooks
Die Bücher des Königskinder Verlags sind dafür bekannt Besonders zu sein. Und auch dieses Buch ist absolut Besonders. Das beginnt bereits mit der Aufmachung. Das Cover ist in meinen Augen wunderschön und auch der Inhalt überzeugt mit unglaublichen Emotionen. Besonders ist ebenfalls, dass die Dinge, die die Personen leise sagen, ganz klein geschrieben sind und wenn sie etwas laut sagen, ganz groß. Das hat mir total gut gefallen und ich fand die Idee echt klasse.

Der Inhalt überzeugt ebenfalls. Gri
Suze Lavender
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The brothers Griff and Dylan are close to their parents. When they're on their way back to Manhattan after a great family holiday a terrible accident ends life as they know it. Griff and Dylan lose everything they hold dear. They have to move on, but it's difficult to live without parents when there's nobody close to look after you. Dylan worries about Griff. Will he be able to cope, can he manage without their beloved mother and father? And who will take care of the two boys, will they be okay? ...more
Wendy
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book thanks to the generosity of the publishers. Wow this was a real tear jerker. I was reading this on the train travelling to work. Not a good place to read it when you are an emotional person. I am sure I must have looked a sight getting off the train with my red eyes and blotchy face.
I didn't realise that Dylan had also been killed in the crash with his parents but after I read it I thought about the clever writing containing the clues.
An enjoyable read but not in publi
Scott
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy in a Goodreads giveaway thanks to the generosity of the publishers.
I was hooked in at the beginning with the quirky writing style but then things slowed down. I lost traction.
And I kept reading and the pace would change. But then I reached a point near the end and was shocked. So shocked that I had to go back and reread key parts to check.
I can’t believe I missed the clues.
After that point in time it was a quick read. A real tear jerker.
prettybooks
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
14/20

Une lecture très touchante sur le deuil, la famille et les liens entre deux frères qui ont tout perdu. L’auteur joue sur l’effet de surprise qui n’a pas totalement fonctionné avec moi, mais la poésie et la beauté du texte ont su beaucoup m’émouvoir.

Ma chronique : https://myprettybooks.wordpress.com/2...
Swetlana
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
RTC
Amanda
I unexpectedly cried bucketloads as I read the last part of this book. Hayley's books are always so surprisingly and clever.
Rabia  Emine Akkök
Güzel bir çocuk-genç kitabı diyebilirim... Benim gibi büyüklerde okuyabilir bi tabi.. =) Orta okul- lise çağındaki tüm kitap severlere önerilir =)
Alia Therese Lazo
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary

The truth is best faced with Friends willing to go through all the pain with you

The story was slow-paced which helped establish a connection between Griff and Dylan to the reader. I felt the pain, uncertainty and even sadness they had in coping with their situation and nearly made me cry. I wanted so much to hug both of them and tell them it’s okay and that everything would turn out better.

Dylan and Griff were both reluctant to share with others their grief and the sadness that haunts them.

Eve
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On Griff's thirteenth birthday, a happy day turns to tragedy for him and his brother Dylan, as a freak hatchback car falls from a car transporter and kills their mum and dad.

Griff is in a bad condition in hospital as Dylan is by his side awaiting his brother to wake up, Griff acts traumatized until the news sinks in later on through the book about the accident and who it killed.

Griff does come round okay only to be told he'll be going to live with their principal Blossom in Brooklyn until the Br
Elif Kurumahmut
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Griff ve Dylan, ebeveynleri dünyanın birçok yerinde öğretmenlik yapmış olan iki kardeş. Öyle ki Almanya'da öğretmenlik yaparken "Hadi Şanghay'a taşınalım." diyip ertesi gün Şanghay'a taşınıp orada öğretmenlik yapıyorlar. Bildiğiniz konar göçer hayatı yaşıyorlar. Ebeveynleriyle birlikte çıktıkları tatilden evlerine döndükleri gün, normal günlerden pek farklı yoktu aslında. Arabada Griff ve Dylan her kardeş gibi atışıyor, ebeveynleri onlara uslu durmalarını söylüyor, beraber şarkı söylüyorlar. Her ...more
Sammeh
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to netgalley for giving me the chance to read this story.
My heart is officially broken,stood upon and then someone jumped up and down on it. Hayley Long's doing that is! I am speechless,this book took my breath away.
Lydia Müller
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ab 14
Es war mein zweites Königskind und mal ganz ehrlich, also diese Cover sind ein Traum! Jedes einzelne ist so liebevoll und wunderschön gestaltet, ich habe mir dieses Exemplar auch nur allein wegen dem Cover gekauft. Ich habe mir nicht den Buchrücken durchgelesen, wusste nicht, welche Geschichte ich da kaufe, und es wurde zu einer der besten und berührendsten und traurig-schönsten Geschichten, die ich je gelesen habe!!!

Ein Autounfall verändert das Leben der zwei Brüder Dylan und Griff. Die Eltern
Chrissi
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have read Downside Up by Hayley Long before, so I knew I’d enjoy her writing. From reading this book, I realise that I need to read her others as I really enjoy her writing style and the topics that she covers.

The Nearest Faraway Place centres around two brothers. On Griff’s thirteenth birthday a tragic accident occurs. Whilst in the car, another car falls from a car transporter and kills their mum and dad. It is a heartbreaking end to Griff’s birthday. Griff is alive, but recovering in hospit
Kirstie Ellen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was absolutely beautiful. It was both heart-breaking and incredible and I can't recommend this enough! It's a quick read but I've never read anything like it and the twist in the story at the end is completely and utterly unexpected. I will definitely be picking up more books from Hayley Long in the future - I can already tell now that this one is going to stick with me.

I’m actually so impressed with this book. The Nearest Faraway Plac
Elizabeth Frattaroli
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the first three chapters of this when my daughter got it from her Toppings' Book Club as she was just finishing another book, and then I had to wait a couple of weeks to finish it, which was a challenge, as I was immediately hooked.
The story centres around brothers Griff and Dylan, who are in a terrible car accident where both their parents are killed. Dylan is worried that his younger brother is not coping well and we get a great sense of both their characters and their feelings througho
Rebecca Travers
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
i really loved this book. It broke my little heart and stitched it back together. I didn't get *it* (which I'm not gonna give away) but had an inkling, yet the way it's revealed still made me gasp audibly.
I read some other reviews and other people have mentioned there's no plot or little character but I think that's quite narrow. After the boys parents die in the first chapter they stay in a series of places and exist in their grief. Not a lot happens but then grief is incredibly difficult. I wa
Shane Leonard
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whispering Words...
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always applaud books that make me cry - and this one really teared me up. Beautiful and bittersweet, this is a story that will surprise you, even as it breaks your heart. It is a book that fans of Moria Young’s The Road to Ever After will love.

When Dylan and Griff lose their parents in a fatal accident, their life of jet-setting around the world comes to a total standstill. Now taken in by their Aunt and Uncle, they must make new lives for themselves in Wales. But Dylan hides a terrible secre
Tamara Morning
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Griff and Dylan—Thomas, like the poet—are almost back from vacation with their parents when the unthinkable happens: a horrible car wreck kills their parents and injures Griff. Now the two boys are alone in the world and struggling with grief and tragedy. Dylan is just worried about Griff, who’s not dealing well with their reality, and Dylan must make sure his brother gets through this in one piece.

When an aunt and uncle they’ve never met offer them a home in Wales, the boys end up in a world th
Hannah Symonds
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This a story about two brothers called Griff and Dylan and how their world is turned upside down when a horrific tragedy occurs. It shows how they deal with the situation and how they pull together and look after each other. I found it a little different from the books I normally read but I still enjoyed it. I did have a few tears though. It is a fairly quick read. For a YA read it is one that will stay with me.
Kathryn
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure if crying is the best way to start this week? I’ve finished this book, it is beautifully sad and I now want a record player. In a kind of sparkling raindrop way- you can just feel the love, and when accompanied by songs, and Aberystwyth it gives me a wonderful full emotional cup feeling. Well done Hayley Long, this years #tirnanogaward winner.
Barbara Tovar
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 en realidad

Una historia contada desde una perspectiva muy genial. La trama está súper bonita, y ese mensaje de saber sobrellevar la muerte de gran parte de su familia de una sólo golpe, es genial. La historia es muy conmovedora y los personajes están muy bien estructurados. El final, es bastante bonito o conmovedor al mismo tiempo.
Carol
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent piece of YA fiction skilfully dealing with some very difficult themes: death, grief, love, loyalty, belonging. Could be a really important reading experience for anyone. Opens with drama and tragedy and runs through recovery with a superb twist at the end. Some moving flashbacks; not overly sentimentally but does bring a tear! Clever use of typography too, to indicate voice and mood.
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really emotional book. Two brothers both dealing with the loss of their parents who took them so many places around the world. Realising that they now might need to settle in one place longer than they usually do, they begin to open up.
But of course there is a shocking twist!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Hayley Long is the author of several award-winning books for teenagers, including What’s Up with Jody Barton? and the Lottie Biggs books. She also works as an English teacher. Hayley Long lives in England.
More about Hayley Long

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99