Start by marking “First Light (Out of Darkness #0.5)” as Want to Read:
First Light (Out of Darkness #0.5)

First Light

(Out of Darkness #.5)

Drew and Elisabeth meet as teenagers, and they fall in love. Sounds like a perfect recipe for happily ever after. But when Drews father is killed at the Pentagon on September 11th, he finds himself spiraling into an abyss of rage. To avoid dragging the woman he loves down with him, he has to walk away, even if it means losing her forever. He joins the CIA and eventually ...more
Kindle Edition, 1, 50 pages
Published March 30th 2017

To ask other readers questions about First Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Light

Start your review of First Light (Out of Darkness #0.5)
Fiction Aficionado
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read, but oh-so engaging. The writing is crisp and dynamic, and captures scenes from the story of Drew and Elisabeth from the day they meet as thirteen-year-olds right up until... well, let's just say they're 25 and leave it at that! This snap-shot approach to their story may sound like it would feel fragmented, but it actually felt surprisingly complete and was the perfect way to whet my appetite for the full length novel Out of Darkness, set to release in May 2017. Bring it on!
Gloria
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an overview of the relationship between Drew and Elisabeth, two people who became best friends as children and grew to be more. Tragedy struck when Drew's father, a fireman, was killed at the Pentagon on 9/11. He left in pain and came to come to grips with his life and rekindled their friendship/relationship after a while away and a new career. First Light is a great way to see small snippets of events that shape and form their lives and relationship. This is a prequel to Out of ...more
Denise Hershberger
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was really more of a prologue than a novelette but it was very intriguing and I can't wait to read Out of Darkness.
Julia
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First Light by Erynn Newman is an enchanting Christian romance spanning fifteen years from the early 1990's. It is a little book that sets the scene for future books.
First Light is about young love. It is about unfailing love - unfailing love from a person and unfailing love from God. "He (God) was there all along, calling me home... I tried to drown Him out with drinking and partying... but all the time He was there... waiting." Sooner or later we all have to answer the call and come home to
Joan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a rewarding short novella and is a good combination of young love and tragedy. Drew and Elizabeth meet when, as a young teen, she takes a pie to his house to welcome them to church. It is love at first sight. Short snippets of their lives in the ensuing years see their romance develop. Drew has graduated from college and is ready to spring the question when tragedy strikes his family. His faith and future is in doubt, as is his relationship with Elizabeth.

This is a short story but it was
Beth Erin
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of young friends who grow to love one another. This prequel feels a bit like a supercharged prologue because readers will definitely want to read the rest of the story in Out of Darkness. I highly recommend both!

I requested a copy of this story from the author. Readers can currently obtain this prequel free for subscribing to the author's newsletter. The opinions expressed are my own.
Karen Hadley
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice story, very short but it does bring out that running away from problems never works. And that forgiveness is necessary to get past anger, abandonment and loss.

Blessings,
Karen
Ian
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful series of vignettes centred on the love story of Elisabeth and Drew from the first time they met as teenagers through to their twenties. It was lovely reading the innocence of first love of these childhood sweethearts; Newman drew me in on the first page.

Each vignette is only a few pages and we meet two others whom I presume will play important roles in the full length novel: Drew's sister Melissa and his best buddy from the CIA, Gabe.

I'm looking forward to reading the
Fizzy
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I read the synopsis of this novella before digging right in to read it. The writing itself doesn't overly lend itself to jumping right in without the synopsis to set the stage. Set over a period of 13 years from the day that Drew and Elisabeth meet until their wedding all those years later. There's so much more than that stuffed into these mere pages but it's enough. From meeting, to falling in love and promising forever after, to Drew's dad losing his life in 9-11 and him running away ...more
Debora Wilder
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This sweet romance is a short novelette!

I love this charming story. Both Drew and Elizabeth are presented in clear detail. It made it extremely easy to connect with them and quickly become involved with their lives. When each of them faced heart breaking circumstances my heart broke for them. I also rejoiced when good things happened.

One of the things that I really enjoyed in this story is the faith in God that is very clearly shown by a number of the characters.

There is a lot of life packed
Alicia
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"First Light" (novelette leading into "Out of Darkness") by Erynn Newman

Absolutely amazing. For such a short story it covers the 15 years in which Andrew and Elisabeth have known each other. They are a couple that seem to have it all from day one until 9/11 takes Andrew's father and he is so angry he leaves. Her and God. Better to leave than to take her with him, or so he believes. In time, he slowly finds his way back to God, as he realizes God never left him...but it is finding his way back to
Crystal
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
First Light provides an intriguing glimpse into the two main characters' early relationship leading up to their wedding day (where Out of Darkness, the sequel, continues the story). The novella begins when Drew and Elisabeth meet as children and continues up through high school, college, and into Drew's early CIA days. Each chapter is a snapshot of a period of their lives spanning months and even years in between chapters (I would compare it as being similar to acts in a play). Major characters ...more
Nadine Keels
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drew and Elisabeth have loved each other since their teenaged years. But the personal tragedy that hits their lives on September 11th shakes the foundation of their relationship in First Light by author Erynn Newman.

Well! This novelette pulled me right in. The moments I liked best said just enough, as leaving out elaborations of implied information can be smart and compelling, especially in short reads.

The ending became oversweet for me, maybe because a more minimal approach was working well
Joanreconnu
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was good quick read that gave a wonderful background on the "Out of Darkness" characters and how they met and fell in love as they matured. Sweet characters and a sweeter love story set in a Christian background. Don't miss it!
Gretchen
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Sweet Tale of Childhood Sweethearts

First Light is a sweet story of childhood sweethearts. The 1990s-2000s timeline is fresh and the backdrop of the 9/11 Pentagon bombing is poignant. Tightly written with likable characters. I'm looking forward to reading Out of Darkness
Raelee Carpenter
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet introduction to the suspense series.
Kay Defreese
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very short book that should be read before Out of Darkness. You get introduced to most of the characters and get background information on the character in Out of Darkness.
John W Strother
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
Sarah Monzon
Pam
Aug 18, 2017

• Ruby Jane (The Montana Marshalls, #5)
  • Dark Prophecy (Elite Guardians, #4.5)
  • The Traitor's Pawn
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • Strands of Truth
  • A Call for Kelp (A Seaside Cafe Mystery, #4)
  • Protecting Tanner Hollow (Tanner Hollow, #1-4)
  • Silent Shadows (Harbored Secrets #3)
  • The Blessings Jar: A Story About Being Thankful
  • Proof of Your Love (Somewhere, My Love)
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • Tides of Deception (Lantern Beach Romantic Suspense #1)
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
  • Lethal Secrets (Tanner Hollow #3)
  • Wait Until Dark (Carolina Moon #3)
  • This Side of Heaven (Cody Gunner, #3)
Erynn Newman is a pastors kid, raised in churches all over the Eastern Seaboard. As a little girl, she created rich fantasy worlds and imaginary friends that followed her into adulthood, when she realized that meant she was either a crazy person or a writeror maybe both.
Though she has never worked with the CIA, her DVR contains a veritable Whos Who of international spies.
She lives in the

Out of Darkness (1 books)
  • Out of Darkness (Out of Darkness #1)

News & Interviews