Start by marking “Under a Confederate Moon (Between States, #1)” as Want to Read:
Under a Confederate Moon (Between States, #1)

Under a Confederate Moon (Between States #1)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The year is 1863. Caleb Chilson is a private in the Confederate Army, currently camped in the Virginian woods. Most of his time is spent on picket duty, on the lookout for a Yankee attack. But when the moon is full, he manages to slip away from the encampment and into the woods to become something a little less than human...

Bitten as a teen, Caleb now suffers through a pa
Published July 2007 by Amber Quill Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Under a Confederate Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under a Confederate Moon

Julesmarie
Interesting idea, setting a shifter story during the Civil War, and having the two heroes be on opposite sides.

I just felt like maybe too much time was spent on the sex and not enough on the world- or character-building. I didn't get to know either character as well as I'd hoped. And I have so many unanswered questions about how shifters work in this world.

I know this is called #1, I'm just not sure I care enough to want to bother going on. Maybe someday.
Emily Moore
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shapeshifters
I really enjoy shapeshifters and J.M.'s writing so I had a feeling I was going to like ths story. And yeah, I liked this story. A lot! It is set during the American Civil War and involves two men from opposite sides of the country that bond over a certain trait that they share. They are both bobcat shapeshifters and every month under the full moon they shift at night into their furry counterparts. I know!!! I mean, when was the last time you read a story like that?!? Yeah, never is the correct r ...more
Elisa Rolle
Caleb is a confederate soldier of a renegade army. He is also a werecat and has a serious problem: during the full moon he changes automatically and can't prevent that. So happens also this time but during the first night he finds another werecat, Brance. Brance is wonded and rough, not at all friendly. But he is the first werecat Caleb has ever met, and Caleb is eager of companionship. And so he insinuates himself on Brance's life.

But the morning after he discovers that Brance is a union soldie
Bitten_by_Books
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: alecia
Set during the Civil War, Under a Confederate Moon follows a burgeoning love affair between two soldiers that find themselves on opposing sides of the battle. The bond the two men share as were-cats provides a stimulating twist to the age old tale of longing to find that other person who can fully understand who you are...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By Books for the review of Under a Confederate Moon in it's entirety.
Sierra
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story concept with a masterful execution. Caleb is a very sympathetic character and I could feel myself rooting for him as he struggled to win his way into Brance's affections. Brance was such a growly, grumpy foil to Caleb's young and playful bobcat. I liked the realistic details of the two in their cat forms. The sexual tension and steamy action were great. The story leaves off at a good point and makes me eager to read the next installment.
Jimmy
This was a pretty good novella, however I believe the idea of werecats making love is more exciting than reading it. As two men, they are HOT! I was more involved with the story of Caleb and Brance falling in love but being on opposite sides of the civil war. Brance is the only person Caleb has met who can accept him as a man and as a beast. However, being on opposing sides of the war isn’t the only obstacle Caleb and Brance will have to overcome.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Daisiemae
Publisher: Amber Quill Press
Genre: M/M Paranormal, Historical

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
V
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice story, but don't mind me, I wasn't very fond of the sex in animal form.Hence the rating.
Dark Divas
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Snyder is artfully creative with her plot lines and character development. To view this review in its entirety, please visit http://www.darkdivasreviews.com/?p=5511
Kathy
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
J.M. Snyder's Under a Confederate Moon is a wonderful story about a love that can supercede any obstacle ~ even when they're fighting on different sides of a war.
Sammymc
Happy Bookaholic
Aug 04, 2011
Ann
Nov 05, 2016
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
More about J.M. Snyder...

Between States (4 books)
  • Beneath a Yankee Sky (Between States, #2)
  • A More Perfect Union (Between States, #3)
  • Between States