Start by marking “The Story of the Great British Bake Off” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Great British Bake Off

The Story of the Great British Bake Off

A celebration of Britain's most popular cookery contest.

Take one tent. Fill with 12 amateur bakers. Garnish with one venerable cookery writer, one blue-eyed bread-maker, and two comedy queens with a love of innuendo. And there you have the recipe for the most popular show of our times.

When The Great British Bake Off made its debut in August 2010, it had the makings of a mo
Published October 10th 2017 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Great British Bake Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Great British Bake Off

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A sparkling and fun book for fans of the television program, The Great British Bake Off. It is my favorite show to binge watch when I have some free time. Or when I'm not reading. Which, let's be honest, is not all that often but it does happen.

You wouldn't think another competition-type show would be engaging, but this one is. The contestants are so kind to each other and earnest in their presentations. Not only do you cheer for all of them, but it makes you want to emulate them in your own kit
Sophie Crane
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, film-tv
As I fan of the GBBO I didn't know what to expect but what I got was a properly written book, not one of your cash for trash, senationalised pulp types.
Over the space of 2 days I've gotten to know the full unbiased story of the show written by someone who obviously likes the show but doesn't wear blinkers. A great read and a must and the ideal gift for someone who likes the show.
Mahlon
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, pleasing, confection, exactly what you’d expect from a book about everyone’s favorite baking show. Surprisingly well written for a book of this type, but it seems like there was very little information beyond that which would’ve been easily accessible by simply mining the sheer mountain Of press that must be available now that the show is a worldwide phenomenon. An amusebouche that can be finished in two bites, Paul and Mary might say good effort but it’s not much more than that.
Robin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Of course I’m giving it a 5 - it’s a book about my favorite TV show! :-)
Donna Brown
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan, which I am, this was very fun to read. Loved hearing the British accent in my head. Enjoyed the recreation of some of my favorite moments in the competitions. Here in the U.S. I don't recall seeing the first 2 or 3 seasons of the competition, so that part was all new. The drawings were well done, but I would have preferred actual photos of each contestant, since some didn't quite jive with my memory of who they were. Also, I didn't know until about 3/4ths of the way through, whi ...more
grouptherapy Avcad
Delightful overview of the show, and how it came to be. There's a bit of insider info, but I wish there had been more. The bakers and talent are all so charming, it's a shame to not get more if them. Still, an absolute pleasure to read if you like the show.
Shannon
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who love the show!
Because of the crazy way that PBS presents the Bake-Off episodes (NOT in chronological order!) there was one chapter, series 3, which I didn't read as it would have revealed the winner of the episodes I am currently watching! The rest of the book was most interesting from the standpoint of how different the production of a British competition TV show is from an American one. Just one example, the contestants have to provide ALL of their own ingredients, which becomes quite an expense. I have oft ...more
Sandy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I snatched this book off the shelves as soon as my eye spotted it. How I love this show. I am distraught that it isn't on or different people are hosting it. This book just was like the show warm and cozy. It could have been better with real pictures of not only the contestants but the food they made. My memory wasn't good enough to remember back years to what their finished products looked like. I appreciated the process of auditioning and hearing how many of the people got on the show.
Olivia Ambrose
I love the Great British Bake Off. I've gone through all four seasons on Netflix about a hundred times :) But I had no idea what to expect from this book. I wish I could see the first seasons since I know nothing about them. But I enjoyed the second half of the book a little bit more when it was about seasons I have seen. Overall, I didn't love it. But it was fun, and if you're a fan of the GBBO, it's a fun, quick read.
Nan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy Bake Off, you will probably enjoy this book. Good to hear some of the back story, but it really wasn't much of a book.
Monical
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a little bit of a cheat on my reading list-- lots of pictures, big print... but I am a big fan of the Great British Bake off and enjoyed my little cheat reading! I read Mary Berry's autobiography on my way home from a London trip last year, and this book really got into the beginnings (and, sadly, endings) of the run of the original GBBO. I've only caught the odd episode, so I learned a lot about the different contestants, how they were selected, and the judges and cast, and even a ...more
JudyTea42
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a letdown

I was hoping for a look back at a show I love, with behind-the-scenes tidbits and glossy photos. Instead, I got a disjointed mess. That read like an audio book set on “shuffle”. In place of photos there were blurry watercolors, without names attached, plunked down at random spots. The same pictures are used over and over and are have no connection to the accompanying text.
Sue
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a behind-the-scene look. Read only if you are a fan of the show and have seen every series hosted by Sue and Mel. There are spoilers. While each chapter is loosely organized by season, each chapter references previous or future seasons.
E
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie, library
Like watching the show, this book made me really happy. It's delightful, friendly and warm. I only wish Netflix had the earlier seasons before Series 5. I could watch zillions of hours of this show. Happy sigh.
Betsy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A quick, fun read. Interesting to get more of a “behind the scenes” look at the program. Appears to be a rush job to get it published before the show moves from the BBC as littered with grammatical errors, which was a bit of a letdown.
Kate
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
As delightful and delicious as a perfectly baked cake!
Catherine Glynn
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a true British Baking Fan. All the behind the scenes news about the series.
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the show and enjoyed the book for its behind-the-scenes glimpse of how and what and who. It’s essentially a book of trivia for fans.
Judy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
A season-by-season behind the scenes look at this great binge-watching show. Just be sure to have a pastry and tea on hand while reading.
Tory
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A book of back story on each of the seasons that the GBBO was with the BBC. Really of interest only to fans of the show, but an easy, enjoyable read, especially with a cup of tea.
Candace
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Only interesting if you're a big fan of the show (which I am).
Kaitlynne
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite shows, that I've been binging the last few weeks. I love this book and how it gives you a little more insight into the story behind the show and some of the contestants.
Emily Davenport
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you’re a fan of GBBO :-)
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
In honor of a new season popping up on Netflix on Friday in the US and the start of the holiday shopping season, I give you, The Story of the Great British Bake Off! I’ve been an avid baker for a few years – my family always did more in the way of candy making pre-holidays before I took on epic cake decorating in college as a way to de-stress and be creative. I’ve never done anything on par with GBBO’s showstoppers, but a couple of the signature bakes are similar to things I’ve concocted in the ...more
Fae Feagin
rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2018