Start by marking “Portugal” as Want to Read:
Portugal

Portugal

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,076 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
From the author of the acclaimed Equinoxes comes a return to roots that serves as spiritual renewal. Comics artist Simon Muchat is stuck. Suffering writer’s block, uninspired, vegetating as a school art teacher, he is losing direction and his taste for life, until one day he is invited to appear at a comics convention in Portugal, the country his family came from and which ...more
Published December 1st 2017 by NBM Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Portugal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portugal

David Schaafsma
My second graphic novel by Pedrosa, whose Equinoxes I read in the last year and loved. But that novel is sort of abstract, an impressive four season multi-layered story. I gave five stars for it, but I had to look at my review to even begin to recall what it is about. It's more about the form and how the ideas get expressed through the form than the specific characters.

This kind of forgetting will not happen with Portugal, which I picked up because I have been slow-reading (it's like the slow fo
George
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Only way for me to describe this comic is: very human. It has a very natural flow and character.
Stewart Tame
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely gorgeous book! Simon Muchat is a comics artist who's lost his direction in life. He suffers from writer's block, and is stuck in a job that he hates. He feels like he’s going nowhere until he gets invited to appear at a comics convention in Portugal. His family emigrated to France from Portugal, and he hasn't been there since he was a kid. Once there, he feels the beginnings of a connection, and grows interested in his family history …

This is a very warm, rich graphic novel
Larry
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: portugal
I cherish this beautiful, warm, captivating book. An artist going through a creative/personal trough chafes against his girlfriend, his family, his clients, then finds new meaning in his life and work in his ancestral village in Portugal.

It's a story that could only have been told as a graphic novel; prose or even film wouldn't do it properly. There are very few words, and the majority of those are banal smalltalk. The artwork, taken as individual pieces, is for the most part not something to li
Lauren
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading Portugal, I immediately added more Pedrosa to my TBR list. Great style, in both story and art. This tale winds through geography and family history, changing perspectives and focus in the story to different family members.
The main story revolves around Simon, an uninspired artist living in France. He visits Portugal for a cousin's wedding and reconnects with family members he hasn't seen in decades, thus discovering himself and finding deeper inspiration. A familiar trope, but a s
Murat G.
Portugal has a special place in one of my tiny lists; "have visited and gonna visit again countries"

And I felt the streets, atmosphere, warm people of this beautiful country through this graphic novel once again.

Perfect colors, perfect drawings.

The story is also absorbing even if it is a kind of cliche; A free spirit man who doesnt know what to do with his life investigates family history to know what to his life..etc..

What i wanna say is I would not like this graphic novel that much if it didnt
Audrey
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une jolie histoire mais du mal à rentrer dedans (peut-être en partie à cause des illustrations).
Miquel Rodriguez
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Maravilloso. El dibujo de Pedrosa, espectacular, unido a una narración vaporosa que cuenta mucho en pocas palabras. Una historia muy familiar para casi todos los lectores.

No obstante, tengo que comentar lo absurdo que resulta que un cómic tan bien editado, tenga una rotulación de la voz en off tan desastrosa y fea. Menos mal que hay poca!

Pero bueno, la obra deja muy buen sabor de boca y es sin duda un cómic que no puede faltar en tu estantería.
Anamarija
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ovaj strip sadrzi sve boje beskraja
Marina
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
10/10

Una historia intimista con un dibujo genial. AL principio me costó bastante cogerle el gusto, pero en cuanto comienzas a sumergirte en la historia, te parece encantadora.
Lola
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I find it important that people learn about their family histories. Learning about your family’s past will make you understand your family members and the relationships between them much better. It will also help you connect to them more deeply and find out where your place lies.

This is what Simon does. He has a job and a beautiful girlfriend, but he’s feeling uninspired suddenly. He’s lost. So when he’s invited to his cousin’s wedding in Portugal, he decides to go and reunite with family memb
Mateen Mahboubi
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a stunning and methodically slow work. Nothing is rushed and Pedrosa takes us through a relatable journey into family, home and roots. Don't come looking for action and adventure, come for real life and contemplation. There is even time for some lost in translation frustration and a car breaking down. I have no idea how much of this book is auto-biographical but it doesn't matter. I think that most people will find something familiar here.
Audrey
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Une belle histoire sur la recherche de son identité à travers son histoire familiale, drôle et touchante.
Flow Pouet
C'est une relecture qui me rappelle comme on est bien dans cette bande dessinée. Comme il fait bon quitter le lieu où on se trouve pour marcher en France, au Portugal, avec Simon Muchat, le personnage principal. On rit, on est ému, on réfléchit, on reprend son souffle et le monde a d'un coup de très belles couleurs...
Monika
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myślałam, że to będzie o czymś innym, ale nadal mi się podobało.
Jota-p
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
História maravilhosamente bem contada, através de imagens, por um autor descendente de portugueses, mas francês de origem. 5 estrelas são poucas para este livro!
Molinos
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Portugal es un tebeo enorme, por tamaño, por sus dibujos, por los colores y porque se te queda dentro según vas leyendo. Quizá no lo notas según vas entrando en la historia pero, poco a poco, el tempo, la nostalgia, el ritmo te entra por los dedos y va invadiéndote. No me gusta hablar de lo que cuentan los tebeos porque aparte de destripar la historia parecen dar más importancia a lo que se cuenta que a los dibujos y casi siempre, el cómo se cuenta, cómo está dibujado, los colores que se eligen, ...more
Nelson Zagalo
Magnificent trip. Pedrosa has created a truly contagious storytelling approach, while reading this book I could feel its atmosphere tones transforming my mood in the moment. A lot is said, but most of it serves more the contextualisation than the progression of the narrative. We feel Pedrosa is always creating the space and time of that fictional universe, where he wants to transport us. For that he uses not only the dialogue but also and so well the drawing and even better the colour. In genera ...more
Saretta
Simon scrittore e disegnatore, erede di una generazione di Portoghesi emigrati in Francia, torna alle origini della sua famiglia, riavvicinandosi sia a parenti che al suo passato.
Una bellissima graphic novel, intrisa di musicalità e di lingue diverse; un viaggio nelle emozioni di Simon, indeciso sulla proprie scelte di vita.
Molto belli i disegni con vignette più rigide nella parte iniziale e molto più rilassate quando Simon raggiunge la sua serenità in Portogallo.

---
Simon is a writer and an illu
Rainbowgirl
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Récit sur un auteur à la recherche de... il ne sait trop quoi : l'inspiration, le sens de la vie, ses origines... En revisitant des lieux qui ont marqué son enfance, en cherchant la trace de parents disparus, il remet à leur place les pièces du puzzle que constitue sa famille, éclatée entre le Portugal et la France.
Une longue bande dessinée qui se lit comme un roman, avec le beau coup de crayon de Pedrosa, des couleurs acidulées qui font voyager, des personnages justes qui nous font immanquablem
Derek Royal
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd be hard pressed to determine which I appreciate more, this work by Pedrosa or his most recent one, Equinoxes. While the latter might be more ambitious, this one is more successful at what Pedrosa set out to do (from what I can determine). The three-part narrative structure works well at making this a seemingly ensemble story, while in reality focusing primarily on just one figure, Simon. This is a hefty tome, one definitely deserving the tag "novelistic."
Zioluc
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetto
In quello che per ora è considerata l'opera migliore di Pedrosa un trentenne senza qualità cerca le sue radici: tre flash di storie di famiglia portoghese trapiantata in Francia. Il Portogallo compare solo di sfuggita, in compenso molti squarci psicologici sono godibili per quanto sono buffi o commoventi. Mi sono incantato più volte a guardare i disegni, davvero strepitosi: quanto glie li invidio.
La prima delle tre parti però l'ho trovata fastidiosamente vuota, per cui mi limito a 4 stelle.
Florence Carre
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un livre imposant, bel objet, pour la quête existentielle d'un auteur qui se trouve dans une impasse dans sa vie affective et son travail d'écriture... s'ensuit une chronique familiale, avec une plongée dans les racines portugaises; un vrai bonheur de lecture comme on en rencontre rarement...
Loic
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first encounter with Pedrosa. An epic and poetic search for origins and how they shape families and what we are today.
With Shaun Tan and The arrival, this is another of these books that kept me smilîng and daydreaming when I finally put my eyes on the last page.
Bregje (B a Reader)
I loved the artwork for this graphic novel! The story itself was enjoyable, but there were also parts where I was a little bored since there wasn't a clear plot.
Orne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi è piaciuto tanto tanto, il perchè lo trovate scritto qui, che io non saprei dirlo meglio:

Matt Graupman
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cyril Pedrosa’s “Three Shadows” is one of my all-time favorite graphic novels. It’s a gentle, melancholy meditation on loss and the lengths to which a parent will go in order to protect their child; it’s an epic tale told on an intimate scale and, frankly, it’s pretty much perfect. Pedrosa’s “Portugal” is a different kind of beast. Where “Three Shadows” aspired to be something akin to a myth, “Portugal” takes every opportunity to be much more realistic; “Three Shadows” is an ethereal campfire st ...more
Vittorio Rainone
Uno dei volumi da ricordare del 2012 (in Italia: in Francia è stato pubblicato nel 2011). Cyril Pedrosa supera la narrazione del suo discreto "Tre ombre" (che pure aveva ricevuto parecchi consensi) e ci presenta un romanzo che contiene una forte componente autobiografica e parla di migranti, di quel senso di spaesamento che può prendere chi non appartiene a nessun luogo. Simon, il protagonista di Portugal, è un fumettista in cerca di ispirazione, che da un po' ha rinunciato a scrivere e vivacchi ...more
Dakota Morgan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon's feeling lost. He has a job, a great girlfriend, a nice place (and a little debt). But his artistic well is dry. Naturally, this leads to a series of poor choices that cause his nice little life to collapse. So when Simon receives an invite a cousin's wedding, he's inclined to go if only because he has little else to do.

There, a family reunion features unexpected, but not world-shattering revelations. This is the core conceit of Portugal - it's important to know yourself and where you cam
Carla Ferreira
As the daughter of Portuguese immigrants to the US and as someone who spent a year living in France, I really really wanted to love this book. Instead, I just liked it somewhat, in the moments I wasn't annoyed by it. The artwork is inventive and thoughtful; the code-switching was really delightful; I enjoyed seeing the carefully woven family dynamics at work. But oh my gosh, the trope of the struggling artist who just can't decide what to do with his life coupled with the casual sexism thrown in ...more
  • Arrugas
  • Ordinary Victories
  • unastoria
  • Ardalén
  • Les ignorants. Récit d'une initiation croisée
  • Le Chat du Rabbin (Intégrale des tomes 1 à 5)
  • Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 1
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • La profezia dell'armadillo
  • El arte de volar
  • Pinocchio
  • Mauvais genre
Cyril Pedrosa began his career in animation, working on the Disney films "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "Hercules." He has since become a rising star in a new kind of graphic storytelling, combining the influences of animation and the literary traditions of Borges, Garcia Marquez, and Tolkien to create a unique visual handwriting.
“Tudo se resume a uma pequena frase- Que temos vontade de dizer... Ou não. «Claire... Quero que fiques comigo.»” 1 likes