Start by marking “You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  379 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
Published April 10th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Do It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Do It!

AngieA
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The concept is just so fun and a natural to those of us who like to learn/try new things and earn a little recognition along the way. The premise of "Dare to Dream, Learn Something New and Do Something Just for You" is a wonderful way to inspire women to get together and learn from each other. The story of how the book came to be is inspiring in itself. Initially begun by Lauren Grandcolas, her work was interrupted by 9/11. She died on United Flight 93. Her loving sisters, Vaug ...more
Melissa
the production of this book - which occurred after the tragic death of lauren grandcolas on september 11, 2001 - is an amazing story in itself. i love the topics, the suggestions, the merit badges, the fact that the mentors who contributed to each topic make themselves available to be contacted, on and on and on....a great addition to any woman's bookshelf. great graduation gift - birthday gift - anyday gift. a fun resource, and an inspiring set of suggestions for trying something new.
Rachel
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
My Mom gave me this for Christams. I found it really inspiring. Be sure to take from it what you need. If you don't want to skydive or go to Jamacia, don't. I made croissants and felt quite proud of myself!
Noel
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. From the touching posthumous dedication, to the zaniest chapter. If I ever feel down- I grab this book and dream big. I haven't actually gone through with any of the tasks described- but that is just the procrastinator in me.
Leah
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a long-term read intended to make you do things and think outside the box. I am really enjoying reading the individual sections and challenging myself to accomplish the goals. I have 2 complete to date!
Janet
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is great fun for former Girl Scouts, or any women who like learning new skills and meeting new challenges. And it's fun to see how many skills you're already acquired, and to give yourself a pat on the back, or better yet, a badge!
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really loved the spirit of this book, and the step-by-step way the author opens up doing those things you've always wanted to do, but have never done. I read most of the text; now I need to go back through and pick what I want to do first!
Jo
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All women
Recommended to Jo by: found in bookstore
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I love this book. Wow!
It is set up like a giant scout's book for women. All kinds of subject, mentors. Girls of all ages should have this.
I fell in love with it and then read the intro that the author parished on 9/11. So sad.
Kristen
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Some of these are silly, but it is still fun and motivating to read. This was written by a passenger who was killed on Flight (?) in Pennsylvania during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Her sister proceeded to have it published following her death.
Julie
Aug 23, 2007 rated it liked it
While I think this is totally fun and cute, it's not like I'm going to be working on them any time soon! It was fun to flip through, but that's about it.
Shanna
Jul 11, 2008 added it
I am still reading this book. It is quite interesting and has given me lots to think about. Because of the nature of this book, it might be on my currently reading shelf for quite some time.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I looked for this book for I watched an interview with a sister of the author on Veria TV. The two sisters saw this book through publishing after the death of the author on United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001.

I liked the idea of using this book as a catalog of 59 merit badges as a starting point to accomplish something new with a mentor and enough small steps in order to feel as if you had a good introduction to a new activity. Even in those areas in which I already earned a merit badge, thi
Jillian
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Brittany Bennett, Brenna Carroll
Wow! I feel really, really good about myself after reading this. I’ve done all the merit badge tasks except for stand-up comedy, firewalking, gardening, beading, starting a rock band, aviation, film making, wine appreciation, negotiating, skydiving, participating in a triatholon, scuba diving, billiards, investing, estate planning, car care, computer care, home maintenance, and genealogy.

Two-thirds ain’t bad! I think what this book really does well is help you define your goals, figure out the
hissi
I found this book in the used bookstore I wrote about before.
It's such a treasure.
Every chapter is a about a skill or an opportunity to experience something you haven't before. There are steps to get it done and earn a badge (they've got sticker badge for every one if them at the end of the book).
And they also feature someone. Who's an expert in that field and tells you their point of you. It can take something that looks so ordinary, like knitting for example. And turns it into something so i
Donna Brown
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to
Has some nice resource material. Thumbed through the entire book and read areas specific to what I am interested. This is one of those reference books I plan to keep on my shelf.

I can see this as a tool to be used in a women's groups. Each person could pick a chapter of interest and follow the steps in the book. Want to learn how to dance? Here's the steps you would take. Want to learn how to quilt? Start here. Need more reference material, go here. If you love what you've accomplished you can g
Annie
Mar 17, 2008 marked it as to-read
Not a book you just sit down and read. It's mildly useful when you aren't quite sure how to go about something, but mostly, I guess it's for folks who have trouble thinking up what crazy thing they want to do next. Now I've surfed (not the way the book said) and done some traveling (though I didn't read that section well before I planned and executed my trip) and there isn't a section on "When you decide you want to build a shed and aren't quite sure how to do it so you check out some books and ...more
Liz
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Above and beyond the New Year’s Resolution! Want to lose weight? Work on the fitness badge. Promised to learn something about art? There’s a badge for that! Anything you’ve told yourself you’d like to try one of these days is probably in here, along with “requirements” (just like in the Girl Scout Handbook), advice from experts, and, most valuable of all, a list of resources to help you on your way. If you want to try something, and don’t know how to get started, this book might be a good place ...more
Shasta Patterson
Sep 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
I saw a review on this somewhere and really thought it was going to be a checklist type thing of "things to do before you die" kinda thing. I went to the bookstore and it was very disappointing. It was more a "how to" dream, get motivated, get organized, research things to do, etc. kinda thing. I really thought it was going to be a "earn a badge" type thing of life skills. It had the typical write a book, jump out of a plane stuff that is the cliche and lifetime achievements thing that not every ...more
Lora
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I return to this book again and again for ideas on what to do with my friends when we get together or for myself when I need a pick-me-up in the middle of the winter! This book is an incredible resource of information and ideas, articles and websites to complete 60 "merit badges" like negotiating, personal style, and strengthening your relationships. There are actual merit badges included with the book, and you will treasure each and every one of them. A motivating message for any woman looking ...more
J.
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! I had forgotten I had it when I moved so I "found" it in a box! It just let's you really say okay I am going to enjoy my life on purpose & try some new things without force! It is a must have & I will definitely be sharing it for generations!

I may not ever be actually finished with this book because of all the actual activities but I am clearing it from my list as I have read all of the "reading" section & completed some of the adventures.
Kelly
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I thought this was a nice idea, but it doesn't tell you how to do anything, just gives you ideas on things to learn/do. I thought it might include a few diagrams and a pattern for knitting, for example, but it just tells you to find someone to teach you. I didn't find this book to be beneficial at all. I guess if you're bored and need ideas on something to do, this might be of use to you.
Jen
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Doublezerodomino
Sweet ideas, good interviews, positive outlooks. There are also helpful resources in book, web and other types of media in each section. I was inspired to learn to fly!
Other sections are more basic and the youthful language is sometimes bothersome to follow. I'd give it to a preteen, teenager or a parent.
pea.
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
too motivational, group activity oriented for my tastes... conceptually i will thumb thru this book over and over. pondering reworking the ideas for 'I'm bored' activity ideas to do with the Goos.
i am a sucker for a merit badge.
Janet
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book...all us "girls" have so many accomplishments in our day to day lives...this book gives us the chance to pat ourselves on the back in celebration of a little "girl power" as well as giving some ideas for future projects.
Cindy May
It's a great idea and I commend the late author and her family for publishing this book, but it's getting a little outdated as technology evolves, so it might be worth updating soon so it's still relevant.
Amanda
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: popular, psychology
It has certainly made my to-do list longer. It has some nice inspiring ideas in it and points you in the direction for additional resources (ex. negotiate: lists books websites workshops and magazines).
Marissa
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book! As a lifelong Scout, I was excited to see something based off of Scouting. The project ideas and activities cover a broad range of topics that would appeal to many different people. It's a fun, inspiring read, and I look forward to embarking on more of the activities!
Kelley
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
loved it, but it's one you need to have on hand, or rather I do because I can't remember things.
Sumi
Mar 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
I liked the idea. I just didn't like the book.
  • Live Your Best Life: A Treasury of Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews, and Inspiration from O, The Oprah Magazine
  • Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • Lace Style
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • A Kick in the Seat of the Pants: using your explorer, artist, judge, & warrior to be more creative
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom For Work & Life From 50 Landmark Books