Start by marking “Wild Sweet Love” as Want to Read:
Wild Sweet Love

Wild Sweet Love

Teresa July has led a hard life, but now she has a chance to put her train robbing past behind her. Armed with a new job as a cook to one of Philadelphia's elite families, Teresa is determined to start her life anew, and nothing––not even her boss's stuck–up (and far too handsome) son––is going to stand in her way.

Madison Nance is sick of his mother taking in women from th
Published April 24th 2007 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Wild Sweet Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Sweet Love

Start your review of Wild Sweet Love
K.J. Charles
I think this may be my favourite Jenkins yet. Pure joy from beginning to end. The heroine is Teresa July, outlaw bank robber fresh out of jail on parole, and forced to live with a do-gooding lady up north. She must learn manners and ladylike ways to avoid going back to prison. This could so easily be a "find her hidden femininity" routine, or in other hands an "ew femininity is a gross imposition and being like men is better", but it is neither. Teresa learns some stuff to add to her body of kno ...more
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
5 stars. I adored this book so, so much. There really was nothing about this that I disliked.

I loved the writing. This was my second Beverly Jenkins book and at this rate I can see her becoming one of my favorites. She does romance so well and it's always so realistic. This book is a slow burn, enemies to lovers romance and it's so freaking good! I loved the characters so much. Teresa is bad ass. She's absolutely amazing and fearless and strong and independent and wise and witty. Ugh! I could g
Ira
A very unusual heroine, loves her!
The story is funny too:)

Btw, did you see the cover?
A short hair heroine in a historical romance, isn’t she gorgeous 😘
Lois
This was great. I'd definitely read the historical novels on the order they were released because there is a lot of character cross over.
Michelle Gilmore
I loved it! Teresa is one of the better, if not the best historical romance heroines to ever be written. I mean, with the difficulty in finding historical romances featuring couples of color, Teresa July being an African American female outlaw- it just doesn't get any better! I wish that I'd come across Beverly Jenkins' historical romances sooner. I'm making it my business to collect and read every historical romance novel that Beverly Jenkins has ever written.
Ahshante
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I have to say I truly adored this love story. Filled with romance and extreme passion I could not help but to continue reading this amazing book hating the expected end. I loved this book so much I really would like to see a movie just the same. Madison, wow I would love to have been able to be Teresa! I loved everything about her being the outlaw and him the true definition of a GENTLEMAN. I would openly recommend this book TO ALL ROMANCE NOVEL LOVERS! I'm sitting here still mad ...more
kittykat (Jo Tortitude)
So, I finally popped my Beverly Jenkins cherry and wow, I think I've found my first ever book girlfriend. Teresa July is the bomb... and then some! What a Wild Sweet and totally FUN Ride.

I absolutely was expecting a great romance and some historical education, but the almost ever-present humour came as a complete and utterly fantastic surprise. And the cover... I'm not a cover whore (have had many convos about this topic) but what a STUNNING cover - a beautiful dark-skinned black woman with shor
Tiffany
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
It is official! I have found another romance author that I love. While I wouldn't put her quite on par with Nora Roberts, I really love her historical romances and once I start one of her books I can't put it down. This book, for instance, was read on a lazy Sunday morning into the afternoon and only took about 3 hours to read! I recommend her books to romance lovers and will be trying to read her canon, which looks extensive. Yeah!!
Emily Yelencich
Read for Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge "An historical romance by an AOC"
Karena
I love me some lady outlaws.
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Another dip into the sub-genre of African-American romance, as told by Beverly Jenkins, whose books are among the highest-rated on LibraryThing. If anything I enjoyed this slightly more than "Jewel". Most of the action takes place in 1897 Philadelphia, with the last section in a free black town in Kansas (the fictional settlement of Henry Adams, where a lot of Jenkins' other books are apparently set). There is not much to the plot; former bank robber Teresa July and businessman Madison Nance are ...more
Parallax
Hm, I was looking for something else when presented with a former outlaw Wild West robber ex-con out on parole. I wanted more focus on her journey to rehabilitation, and/or her adaptation to being on the outside. I felt the stuff I was interested in--the historical setting and the rehabilitation/adjustment stuff--got glossed over. Stuff fell into place too easily. I guess I wanted a character journey, or more adventure type stuff, with developed romance.

As for what the book actually was: The hi
SassyMama
What can I say...Mrs. Jenkins has done it AGAIN...another historical romantic treat...Teresa July and Madison Nance made quite an ENTERTAINING couple...I found myself LOL throughout this one...I ABSOLUTELY love the July family and their circle of friends...definitely looking forward to reading more about them in future novels.
Kadi
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strong

Beverly is a master at romance and historical fiction. I love this heroine because she's strong and loving. Not afraid to walk away from a man if he doesn't fit her plans. I hope to have a steel spine like Teresa July. Also thank you for making her dark-skinned
Alexandra Kane
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The lady outlaw Teresa July is a force to be reckoned with, and it was nice to see her crack the high class hero, Madison Nance.
Senora James
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. My only wish is that there was another book to follow of what happened in their lives next.
Lacey
I knocked off a star for all the talk about nipples (I COULD NOT DEAL) and another half-star for the very swift sexual tension.

The characters are a lot of fun in this one. I really enjoyed Beverly Jenkins take on the female outlaw. Teresa is easy to cheer for, even if she is a bit stubborn at times. Madison was interesting; he was a good foil for her, but his gambler past didn't make him too unfamiliar with her wild upbringing.

As always, there's great history in this one. I loved learning about
Pam
DNF at 22%, even though almost every single thing about this book worked for me. Unfortunately the one thing that didn't was the dynamic between the love interests! I liked the rest of it enough to give this author another try though. This one is enemies-to-lovers, and the other book of hers I have on my TBR is not, so I'll definitely give it a go at some point.

And I feel 100% confident in saying it's me, not the book...unless you're also an m/m reader who has become quite possibly unfairly pic
Jo Forrester
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I've read the entire Blessings series and was already familiar with Henry Adams. I liked reading about Henry Adams during it's heyday. Jenkins has a knack for creating heroines that defy all norms and their antics are delightful. Teresa July is no exception. She is strong, brave, tough and unapologetic about it. I was rooting for the couple the entire book and broke into a big grin when they finally admitted their love for one another. I'd happily recommend this book to any ...more
Vanessa
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So this might be my favorite Beverly Jenkins I’ve read so far. Teresa was fantastic and had me laughing all the way through. A black female outlaw?? Heck yea, sign me all the way up. I also loved how all of their issues didn’t get settled halfway through which was one of my issues with other Beverly books I’ve read. I wanted more conflict and tension before they fully got together. That is exactly what I got from this one. I know we all say this but I really appreciate that HR with black women e ...more
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Teresa July was an absolute spitfire! Cheeky, tough, and with an edge of sweetness, I never knew what would come out of her mouth from one minute to the next! She was vastly entertaining and I loved seeing her keep poor Madison on his toes!

Madison was a surprise as well. His brief appearance helping gambler Loreli (A Chance at Love) had me curious about him and I must say, Teresa wouldn’t have been my first choice as a romantic interest, yet getting to know him...two peas in pod!

Margaret Wingfield
Love Rehabilitation

Ms Jenkins does a masterful job of weaving this authentic historical love story. Her character development is so realistic the reader recognizes and likes them . This was a delightful escape from the current lunacy. Can't wait to read more tales like this.
Autumn Walker
I’ve recently discovered Beverly Jenkins and have been flying through her books. I didn’t think I could love a genre so much but reading this one I don’t know if I can read anyone else and feel as complete. It’ll be hard!

Many times I would actually laugh out loud, smile while reading and even my fiancé couldn’t get my attention when I was reading. Would definitely recommend this book!!
Deborah Arrington
I am still in love

I love the story of Teresa July and Malcolm Nance, city boy never knew what hit him! But the things he taught Ms July 🔥🔥🔥🔥
Momma Molly was a wonder also I loved her calm demeanor and Emma too! I enjoyed the story completely!!! Off to the next Old West adventure.
Brenda Maxwell
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just As Good the Second time

I have read every book Ms Bev penned except her two teen romances. Some of them more than once. You can always count on a history lesson, a villain or two, and a hot time. This second reading did not disappoint. Love you Ms Bev!
Shantina Henderson
Mr. Madison Nance

I love the interactions between Teresa and Madison and the way their chemistry is set on fire every time they are in a room together!!!
This book is brilliantly written.
Angela
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story for the youngest July sibling. It had adventure, comedy and of course romance.
Erica Smith
Wild and sweet
in the city or West
an enthralling, five star tale
Jm
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first Beverly Jenkins! So happy to finally enter this world. What a great read! One of the best heroines I've read. Looking forward to discovering more of Ms. Jenkins' books!
Nirvana
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Can not stop reading and learning all the history and exceptional story telling this author writes. Love all of her books. This one is priceless.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Hope Divided (The Loyal League, #2)
  • Forget Me Not (Catalina Cove #2)
  • Claim the Dragon (The Legion #2)
  • An Unconditional Freedom (The Loyal League, #3)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Heart and Hand (Gold Sky #1)
  • An Extraordinary Union (The Loyal League, #1)
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • Tycoon (The Knickerbocker Club, #0.5)
  • All I Want
  • The Cost of Hope (The Cost of Love #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • A Protector in the Highlands (The Campbells, #2)
  • Fire and Desire
  • A Passionate Love (The Bennett Triplets)
  • A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1)
  • A Bride for Carlton  (Sun River Brides #1)
  • His To Steal (Alien Overlords, #2)
Beverly Jenkins is the recipient of the 2018 Michigan Author Award by the Michigan Library Association, the 2017 Romance Writers of America Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as the 2016 Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice Award for historical romance. She has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature, was featured in both the documentary Love Between the Covers and on CBS ...more