Start by marking “When the Sky Falls ( Sky Fall #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Sky Falls ( Sky Fall #1)

When the Sky Falls ( Sky Fall #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  44 ratings  ·  25 reviews
An in-depth look at fake news, yellow journalism, fictional broadcasts and the psychology behind them, wrapped in a twisted thriller.

In 1938 the War of the Worlds hoax panicked millions of Americans, then in 1988 another fictional media broadcast convinced nearly half of Portugal that sea monsters had risen from the ocean to destroy their cities. A team of CIA agents was
Published March 24th 2017 by Joseph Bendoski Books

To ask other readers questions about When the Sky Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Sky Falls

really liked it 4.00  ·

Carrie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, dnf
DNF

This book is one that just turned out to not be for me at all. The idea behind the story intrigued me so I gave it a shot but didn't make it too far before I just found myself bored and detached. Don't let that put anyone off from giving this a shot if they think it would be their style, just wasn't mine.
Jay Saph
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Real rating 3.5 stars.

Plot/idea. Looking at the cover and title I imagined this to be a post-apocalyptic read. It's actually a spy techno thriller about a celestial event known as Sky Fall that influences population belief and awareness. The actual premise or backdrop is quite intriguing. There's a decent amount of psychology and biological sciences thrown in there which seems quite well researched. The ability to modify human consciousness via chemistry strikes a chord with me. Quoting ergot al
Donna Backshall
This review is for the Audible audio edition, but there is no footprint for it (yet?) in Goodreads.

When the Sky Falls is an action novel by Joseph Bendoski that keeps a fast pace while delivering the alarming message of the atrocities that can result from the intentional and malevolent perpetration of Skyfall events.

While the novel delivers relevant eye-openers and plenty of other food for thought with regard to manipulation of the public, is it a compelling story in itself? I'm still on the fen
David Wright
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When the Sky Falls is a brilliant tapestry of sociological peculiarities and engaging narrative. I want to say fact and fiction, but I’m not too sure about the fiction part. Is this phenomenon real? Did it really happen? Is it going to happen again? Bendoski’s writing style is so authentic, so convincing I found myself believing in...well, not aliens. I don’t want to give too much away. Suffices to say, When the Sky Falls is more than just a book; it’s a game changer.
Flight of the Cosmonaut
Patricia
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Should Be Mandatory Reading

This book should be mandatory reading. If it doesn't scare the begeezus out of you, open your eyes and make watch/read the news in a whole new way then you missed the point. In this day where "fake news" seems like a catch phrase this book will reveal it's the truth. Not only is it the truth now, it's been the truth for a very long time.

The book is very well written and the plot is easy to follow. Character devopment is fantastic. I hope to meet Alice and Nichols in fu
Gayle Pace
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS
This book is definitely not for the squeamish. It grabs your attention and as you read you feel the darkness and a bit of evil in the story. If you like things to be all good and iced over, then this book isn't for you. The story is fast paced and the suspense, intrigue and darkness builds as the pages are turned. The author doesn't mince words. He takes the reader right to the terrifying core of the story. It's hard to distinguish who is good and who isn't. The story shows how the ma
Shihab Azhar
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book through the World Mysteries and Thrillers group on Goodreads.

It took me a lot longer to finish this book than I thought it would. Part of this might be due to my own rapidly declining attention span, but there were several passages I had to go back and read. But I think there part of it was the book itself.

First, the author writes in quite a unique style. Reminiscent of James Ellroy, he somehow pulls off the story with a very direct writing style, akin to ch
Jay
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
"This book was given to me for free from the author at my request for my voluntary and unbiased review."
First things first, I love audio books and tend to purchase them based on both genre and reader.
Let me start with the book itself:
I liked the story a lot. It was interesting and well written. There are concepts that are broached that need to be fleshed out in the next book(s), so I am really looking forward to finishing the series if it keeps pace with this first installment. There were parts
Julia
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book incredibly fascinating and informative. The characters are, by the nature of their jobs, at the edges of the bell-shaped curve of normalcy. This can make for some disturbing scenes in the book which, nevertheless, are not thrown in without specific purpose: you need a monster to catch a monster and not a lot of ethical people want, or are qualified, to do that job.

We all know we are being manipulated constantly by advertising and media, but this book takes the reader so much
Dinand Dow
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

‘When the Sky Falls’ makes you wonder about the news of the world

‘When the Sky Falls’ opens stormily with a catastrophe in Porto, Portugal, set off by mass hysteria, mysteriously caused by an unknown entity. This event appears to be one in a long history of similar occurrences, which are methodically reported by William Stephenson, a CIA consultant. The genius of quoting Stephenson’s research notes at the beginning of each chapter is what makes you question who or what to believe, were it public
Noélie Bodin
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The main characters are well-rounded and keep the reader's interest in the story high. One of my favorite characters was Nichols. I felt like the story was more about him than any of the other characters. Alice's personality was particularly fascinating. I had a slight problem keeping all the characters straight at the beginning, as we are introduced to several characters at once working on different teams.

The writing style is non-nonsense and to the point. There are no useless words. The plotli
Jessica Bronder
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The human mind is very easy to manipulate. It has been shown throughout history with events like the 1938 broadcast of War of the Worlds. These events are called Sky Falls and Jay Nichols has been researching them for quite a while. He is asked to join the CIA and then to find out what William Stephenson, a CIA consultant knows about these incidents. What is the cause to these events? How can they be used?

There is so much information about people in this story and you can easily see how mass pan
Bridget Hopper
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jay Nichols has been researching Sky Fall events for a really long time.  When he writes a paper regarding these events, he is sought out by the CIA.

Two weeks into the job, he lands the perfect assignment.  He has been teamed up with William Stephenson, the leading subject matter expert.  All thanks to an incident in Portugal.

The first Sky Fall event that received a lot of attention involves the War of the Worlds debacle.  It has to do with humanities ability to believe anything.

The CIA wants
J Washburn
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bendoski writes like Hemingway, with not a single word wasted. That leaves center stage open for the action. The plot moves quickly, and chapters end continually with another intrigue, which keeps you turning pages as fast as you can. Perhaps the most brilliant part of this novel is the high concept--it's about how mass hysteria can be created and controlled. There's a lot of cool psychology and sociology mixed in, which adds a lot to think about and makes it deeper than a simple thriller. This ...more
Ddkmc95
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I refused to pay attention to mass media after reading this book! It totally messed with my head...lol. The premise of this book is that media can get people to do just about anything...eerily close to reality. There is a bit if dry humor and lots of action...you won’t be bored. I kept thinking of the War of the Worlds...read-listen...you will not regret it.
I accepted a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sing
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I found the plot/story creative and imaginative with some twists and turns that would jump the plot to the next level. All though the book I was kept guessing if Alice was genuine or was her behavior a front hiding other motives. You will have to read it to find out. I am happy to recommend this book.
Andra23nic
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth reading!

While the style is not the most captivating, the substance of the book is so intriguing and contemporary relevant, that it kept me devouring chapter after chapter. The book is well researched, informative, and, at the same time, an entertaining introduction to social psychology, propaganda and mass manipulation.
Marcela
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free of charge from the author / narrator / publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.
This is an excellent CIA/spy novel with lots of intrigue and action. Excellent character development with just enough twists and turns to keep you on your toes without getting lost.
This is my first intro to this author. But I love his work.
Susan Strayer
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was the best debut novel I've read. The climax surprised me, the characters intrigued me, and the premise of Sky Fall events was unique and really well researched. However, at times it seemed pieces were missing in the narrative, leaving me a bit confused.
Bill Nevitt
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Followers of world affairs and sci-fi.
Interesting story I narrated about a year ago concerning individuals who harness the ability to intentionally stage natural disasters. This originally done for monetary gain, but the CIA became interested as a way to influence world affairs. Intriguing story.
Tfalcone
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thank you Net Galley for the free ARC.

I liked the concept behind the novel, that sky fall events are triggered by fake news causing population panic. The actual story has not matched my expectations. Somehow there is too much random bad language, drugs and violence.

Barbara
Started out well, interesting concept, but got more and more muddled as it went on. Was glad when it ended, won't be reading the next one.
Shonanne
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read

Take a good conspiracy theory and pad it out just so. An engaging read, well worth getting. And surprise twists pop up even at the end.
Deborah Pople
Calvin Habig
Jan 22, 2019
Subhajit Das
Nov 30, 2018
  • My Blog Traffic Sucks! 8 Simple Steps to Get 100,000 Blog Visitors without Working 8 Days a Week
  • Procrastinate on Purpose: 5 Permissions to Multiply Your Time
  • Inception (Black Flagged, #0.5)
  • Princess Sophie and the Six Swans: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • The CEO Pay Machine: How It Trashes America and How to Stop It
  • Wonder
  • Devil in False Colors
  • Wanted: Gentleman Bank Robber: The True Story of Leslie Ibsen Rogge, One of the FBI's Most Elusive Criminals
  • Brimstone: The Art and Act of Holy Nonjudgment
  • A Buss from Lafayette
  • Under the Trees
  • The Scarlet Crane (Transition, book 1)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Watcher Saga, #3)
  • How Obama Betrayed America....And No One Is Holding Him Accountable