Start by marking “The Story of Lizzy and Darcy” as Want to Read:
The Story of Lizzy and Darcy

The Story of Lizzy and Darcy

When Lizzy Bennet first meets Darcy Williams, there is an instant dislike between them. As much as they try to avoid it their paths keep crossing, and they each start to see a different side to the other. Their tentative friendship is soon tested, but will they realise how they really feel?

The Story of Lizzy and Darcy is a modern day, same-sex adaptation of Jane Austen’s
Published June 1st 2017 (first published May 25th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Lizzy and Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Lizzy and Darcy

Start your review of The Story of Lizzy and Darcy
Natasha
When I heard about this book I got really excited. I've been wanting exactly this for a while now. I'm not really a classics person but I do love Pride & Prejudice after falling in love with the Lizzie Bennett Diaries when I was 15. So, as someone who loves seeing classic stories adapted into a queer version, I saw Pride & Prejudice as the perfect candidate for a modern f/f, even trying (and failing) to write an outline of one myself. And low and behold, this book now exists.

So I'll
lov2laf
Admittedly, I haven't read Pride and Prejudice since I was in high school which means I might as well have never read it. That said, though I have some vague memories of the original, I'm deciding to review this as a lesfic novel that stands on its own.

For a love story, this fits the ice-queen vs. gregarious person dynamic where the couple initially hate each other. The feeling is definitely more dramatic than comedy. The cast is large but distinct and so is the lead couple, Lizzy and Darcy.

We
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chaste, lgbt, romance
Ignore the awful cover and the lame title and the weak cover copy. And when you get that far, ignore the mediocre copy-editing. I know that's a lot to ignore, but if you do, your reward is one of the better Pride and Prejudice tributes. While P&P is one of my favorites (or because), I don't go out of my way to find tribute stories. That's because too many authors forget to let the characters breathe and you end up with a story that is either too rigidly adherent to the details of the ...more
Tiff
I will be the first to admit I have never read Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. I know, I know, how have I gotten this far in life without this reading this classic book? What I have read is The Story of Lizzy and Darcy by Grace Watson. Watson has shaken things up a bit and made this a same sex adaptation with a modern day twist. A truly delightful read.

Lizzy Bennet has just graduated from college and is ready to head to London for a career in the book publishing industry. Her dream job in
Alexis
This is a great debut novel!

I remember reading this book way back in high school when I hated everything that even looked like a book so I only remembered the major story lines. Reading this however brought it all back. I find it really difficult to rate this book. As much as I tried seeing it simply as a standalone novel, I kept comparing it to the original so here goes nothing.

First off I thought the author really captured the original Darcy's character. I remember thinking what a pompous
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
4.5 stars.

Incredible amazing showstopping never before seen fluffy angsty beautifully written a+.

This gave me the same fluffy feels that Red White and Royal Blue! Loved this f/f adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, one of my favorite classics ever (yes I'm basic what about it).

These girls are both fully realized characters, we get to see their hopes and dreams and personalities and most of all them dating and going from dislike, to friends, to love. Ahhhh.

Lizzie is a lesbian, Darcy is biracial
Williesun
This is an absolutely adorable and well done queer modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice that wins a lot of diversity bingo. Our dear Lizzy is an out and proud lesbian, Darcy a mix-raced bisexual woman. The secondary characters feature a trans and an ace character.

So Lizzy just finished university and has her internship at Rosings publishing house already planned and is ready to move to London with her bestie Charlotte when Darcy and Charly Bingley move into Netherfield Court. You all know
elisabeth
Okay, for this book is hard for me to review, because for the first 200 pages, I loved it. I thought it was a smart and interesting retelling of P&P that managed to translate the age-old story into good modern terms. But then it started to lose itself.
Some of the things I loved:
-Lizzy! She's such a great character!
-Sisters!!!!!!!! Jane and Lizzy!!!!! So important!!!!!!!!!
-The way the Bennet family as a whole was translated -- Jane and her gap years, Sander and his dramatics, Mark and his
Cristina
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cute adaptation of Jane Austin's book through the LGBT community.
Pam Holzner
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a rewriting of Pride and Prejudice as a modern gay romance.

I thought it was pretty well done. I liked how she updated the characters. Instead of being just rich, the rich people were business people and the sisters were mostly turned into brothers.

There was a paragraph toward that end that seemed over the top and the ending could have been better. I don't remember the original Elizabeth Bennett being so wishy washy at the end, but maybe my memory is flawed.

Noura
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, this is certainly the most ambitious retelling of a classic that I've read. Mind you, I haven't actually read many.

I enjoyed how I couldn't put this down. I missed the feeling of being up all night reading a story regardless of the fact that I knew the outcome. Knew how it will turn out but still. It was enjoyable.

However, this book could have used a lot of editing. Especially when it comes to spelling and simple grammar. The story like I said was ambitious and so could have benifited from
Starsandsun18
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh wow! Actually, I'm torn between 4-5 stars. This book is amazing! To think this is a debut novel.
A modern day take on NA Pride and Prejudice with a twist.
This book is told on Lizzy's POV, I would have love to read Darcy's POV too.
I love all the twist and turns, all the flaws and how they manage to fix it. I love how the author tackle all the differences of each character.
You will be pissed at them, you will pity them, you will laugh with them.. all those emotions. Very well written.
This a
Marta (thecursedbooks)
Lovely read! Full review to come.
Bree Paige
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The confession made me.. What the Hell??
description
Rebecca
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
very cute slowburn enemies-to-lovers f/f romance with a plot inspired by pride and prejudice. it loses a lot of the original p&p's nuance and i'd say only this modern adaptation is only really similar on a plot level. there were some really touching moments - the repeated coming-out conversations lizzy has to go through with every new friend she makes; the very raw conversation where will came out to lizzy; the first truly vulnerable conversation darcy had with lizzy about george. there was ...more
Brandi
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
It's been a few years since I read Pride & Prejudice, so I don't remember a lot of the little details. Personally, I felt like at times it was too dramatic and other times it was too "flowery." Also, there were a lot of storylines going on at once & I would have liked the book to expand on some of these other storylines. It was fun & easy to read, but I'm a bit indifferent about it.
emily
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I've finished in what feels like AGES, and I stayed up till 3:30am reading it all the way through. I have ALWAYS wanted a queer lady version of this story. And I am so so happy that it exists and is so lovely:)
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Full review to come on Books and Ladders!
Mary  Meredith
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Are you a Pride & Prejudice fan? If so then check out this adaptation by Grace Watson. It’s my first F/F read but was definitely an enjoyable one. She handled modernizing P&P gracefully and perfectly. I will be honest the first 40% for me was a little dry, but given the spin placed on P&P I wasn’t surprised. (I thought P&P was dry in the beginning too.)
Lizzy Bennet is a recent university grad getting read to work in the real world. Her Mom in all her quirkiness throws a party to
Alisha Marie
Slight disclaimer here: I have never actually read Pride and Prejudice, but have seen a few retellings of the story, so I pretty much get the gist, I think.

I'm a huge fan of retellings. And I'm an even bigger fan of retellings with f/f relationships in the center. So, I fully expected to love The Story of Lizzy and Darcy. While I did end up liking it as a whole, there were a few things that kept me from loving it.

The Good: I absolutely loved that this book was so diverse. You have lesbian,
Megan
If you do a rewrite of Pride and Prejudice, you’re placing yourself in a deep hole as far as reviews are concerned. If P&P gets a 5, it’s pretty obvious that its rewrite is going to get less than that.

I’m a big fan of Jane Austen, so when I saw that a book had been published that cast Lizzy and Darcy as lesbians, I downloaded it more for curiosity’s sake than anything else. Imagine, for instance, Netherfield being a ritzy subdivision or a cozy British town. Imagine that both Rosings and
Joyfully Jay
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

Matchmaking, misunderstandings, and making-up — along with merriment and mischef — are a small part of what sets this light-hearted re-imagining of Jane Austen’s timeless and much beloved Pride and Prejudice apart from the others of its kind. Lizzy Bennet is a young British woman possessed of an open heart, a keen intellect, and more than enough pride to be instantly recognizable. Her sister, Jane, is not only beautiful outside but inside as well, working
Molly Lolly
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Original review on Molly Lolly
Five stars!
This story was completely lovely. I loved how Ms. Watson took a story that is treasured and made it completely her own. She kept all of the wonderful parts about the story and left them exactly as they were, if slightly changed to fit her story. You can see where she kept true to the story and where she added her own voice to work. It is seriously completely brilliant and I need everyone to read it. While the story is clearly based on characters, setting
T
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5

I really liked the idea of an lesbian Lizzy and Darcy, it’s an interesting twist. It was great that their families were mostly supportive and so the story could focus on the same type issues as the original, rather than coming out etc. Some of the things Lizzy said made me think, especially when she said she hated that every person she met assumed she was straight and so she always had to explain herself. I also found the inclusion of other LGBTQ characters interesting and enlightening.
Alex
Actual rating 4 1/2 stars.

This review also appears on my blog alexreadsboooks
______
When Lizzy Bennet and Darcy Williams meet there's an instant dislike between them. But when Lizzy's sister Jane and Darcy's best friend Charlie fall in love they have to spend time together. But as they get to know each other they also start to realise that maybe they judged too fast.

Thanks a lot to Grace Watson for providing me with a free review copy!

I am going to start this review by saying that to be fully
Cassandra Schultz
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, gay
As someone who has recreated the Pride and Prejudice story as gay in my head about a billion times, I was beyond excited when I found this. It was funny, smart, interesting, and Grace Watson translated the characters well into a modern setting. I found myself rooting for both Lizzy and Darcy and Charlie and Jane with a frightening intensity. In so many ways, this is exactly the beautiful, fluffy, yet serious wlw plotline I've been dreaming of my entire life. I loved that Will Fitz was trans, I ...more
Cindy Stein
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very strong first novel from this author.

There are two ways to review this book--as a novel unto itself or as a modernized version of Pride and Prejudice. I'm sure those who have studied the latter well will have a lot to say. I read it in high school and didn't remember much except for the fact that Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy started out hating one another and ended up together.

This story is similar in that respect. Lizzie Bennett has just graduated from university and is heading to
Jessica Kelly
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not the sort of book I usually read. I am a fantasy girl, almost exclusively, and I've never read or particularly wanted to read Pride and Prejudice. However, a friend told me about this book and I had to check it out, and I ended up LOVING it. From what I understand, this is a young author's first novel, and there are certain small things that kind of show her inexperience - that is to say, the writing itself is not a museum piece or anything. But when I was reading, I did not care one ...more
Connie
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
3/5 stars

God, that ending was ADORABLE. This is definitely a book that improves the further you get into it- I really struggled with the writing style towards the beginning, and I found that the writing didn't really engage me in a positive way at the start. Everything seemed a bit rushed, so it was only after around the 40% mark, when Lizzy started her internship, that I properly got into this.

I think my favourite moment by far is a scene between Will and Lizzy halfway through that literally
Sophie
“Every time I so much as think about you,” I whispered, “I fall a little bit more in love.”

I need everybody — and I mean everybody — to go read this book right now. Otherwise I'm just gonna start yelling into the void how much I loved this book for years. It was just,,, perfect. Pride and Prejudice but make it sapphic? Hell yes. This is definitely my new favourite retelling of this story (The Lizzie Bennet Diaries are an entirely other category okay, I don't think I'll find something to

• Breaking Character
  • Open Tab (Whiskey Springs, #1)
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Forget Her Not
  • In Development
  • The Art of Us
  • The Music and the Mirror
  • Just for Show
  • The Lily and the Crown
  • The Road Ahead (Around the World, #1)
  • Irregular Heartbeat
  • Pretend Girlfriend
  • Eyes Like Those (Seven Shores, #1)
  • Far from Home (Belladonna Ink, #1)
  • Calendar Girl
  • By Any Other Name
  • Cigar Club (Whiskey Springs, #2)
  • The Brutal Truth
Born in the North-East of England, Grace grew up in the Black Country and currently lives in Wales, where she is studying music and training as a classical singer. After spending her teenage years writing fanfiction she published her first novel, The Story of Lizzy and Darcy, in 2017. She has too many books, not enough cats, and an alarmingly large collection of ceramic owls.