Start by marking “Death and Night” as Want to Read:
Death and Night

Death and Night

(The Star-Touched Queen 0.5)

Before The Star-Touched Queen there was only Death and Night.

He was Lord of Death, cursed never to love. She was Night incarnate, destined to stay alone. After a chance meeting, they wonder if, perhaps, they could be meant for more. But danger crouches in their paths, and the choices they make will set them on a journey that will span lifetimes.
Published May 2nd 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

Start your review of Death and Night
Candace Robinson
I love Roshani's writing! I liked A Crown of Wishes way more than The Star-Touched Queen, but I wanted to see more of Maya (Night) and Amar (Death). And... it was beautiful! I feel like my heart just expanded three sizes!
Suzanne
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute, quick read. It was cool to read about how Maya & Amar met.
Nastassja

Once again I am in love with Roshani Chokshi's writing. She manages with her words to pluck stars from the sky and pour their magic on pages. The descriptions of the Night Bazaar and divine creatures that visit it are out of a dream images - I felt like I've woken up and found myself in a magical fairy tale walking the streets of the Night Bazaar with the characters.

Death and Night is a prequel story of how Amar and Maya - characters of The Star-touched Queen met for the first time in Maya's

Stacee
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Of course it was amazing. I loved getting this little slice and seeing things mentioned in TSTQ and ACOW and now I want to reread them.
Rendz
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
Full review can also be found here : https://readingwithrendz.wordpress.co...

I first heard about this story before I read The Star-Touched Queen, which kind of spoiled it a little bit for me…not really. This is a prequel novel to TSTQ and it revolves around the love story of the immortals Death and Night. I will try my best to avoid spoilers about The Star-Touched Queen, but it will be difficult just because of who this book is about!

What I Liked

Characters:

Death: I swooned as soon as he
Hollis
I had really mixed feelings over last year's THE STAR TOUCHED QUEEN so when I saw this prequel available for order, one that spent time on the previous lives of book one's main characters, that would maybe convince me of this everlasting love, I jumped at the chance.

I wanted to spend my life with someone who made eternity too short.

But some of the same problems I had with Chokshi in book one are also present in this novella. While her writing is beautiful it's kind of like Ahdieh's WRATH &
Ronak Gajjar
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, cover-lust, 2018
Gupta stepped back, brows crumpling. “You look—”
“—preternaturally handsome?”
“No.”
“Record keeping is ruining your eyes.”
“Impossible.”
“Well, one can hope.”

- The conversation happening between the lord of Death and his counselor Chitragupta after taking away a soul!
Well, this was pre-courting novella for - Lord of Death and Night/Maya - the star-crossed lovers with curse in between. (*We all know now how I feel about romance so I am not gonna exaggerate it but to my patience levels, they were “
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
This novella made me fall in love with The Star-Touched Queen even more than I already did. Death and Night took the characters from The Star-Touched Queen that I already loved and created an even more lush and beautiful backstory for them. It was truly enchanting to read about Death and Night and the trials and tribulations they went through before we met Maya and Amar.

The romance between Death and Night brought me so much joy. They are SOUL FREAKING MATES. They supported each other, believed
Krysti
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death and Night by Roshani Chokshi is one of the most captivating series companion novellas that I've read. It beautifully showcases Roshani's dazzling writing style, and it is an enchanting story all of its own. Readers could easily enjoy this novella without even having read the other books in The Star-Touched Queen series.

The world-building in this story is magical and immersive. I felt as though I was walking the streets of the Night Bazaar alongside the characters, and oh how I wish I
Rane
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, fantasy
I don't know how Roshani Chokshi can wrap up such magic and wonder in her book, let alone a novella but she does it!
Set before the Star Touched Queen you learn how Amar and Maya first truly meet and how they fall in love with one another. You learn about a few secrets and heartbreak along the way, but joy and understanding and real love between these two amazing characters set in an amazing world.

Janani(ஜனனி)
You know what? I have turned into an cactus just now. Because I'm really going to prick those people who gushed about this gorgeous book. I just hope nobody drop me into a river. Can Cactus swim? or can they breathe under water? But no matter what everyone says about it, the fact doesn't going to change that I'M A WONDERFULLY GROWN CACTUS WHO LIKES TO PRICK PEOPLE WHO MADE MY HYPE REACH SKY HIGH.

So let's explore what is going inside on Cactus' mind:

1. I really have this doubt whether I read the
Sheila Goicea
Publication date 05/02/2017
Nothing was more beautiful than a night sky dusted with stars. Nothing was more terrible than a night sky scrawled with a thousand destinies. Night was inevitable. Like me.

Since this was a novella, there isn't a huge amount to say here, other than how much I enjoy this little story and (of course) the writing style. Some may dislike the over-usage of adverbs and flowery speech. But I think that this style completely works for the whimsical mythology which was
Obsidian
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not too much to say here besides how much I loved the beginning to Death and Night or how we know them, Amar and Maya.

We read about both of these characters in "The Star-Touched Queen" but we get to read about how they met, how Death courted Night, and how she loved him. We know what will happen next (I read the first full book and only came back to read this prequel now) but it was great to read about how they came to love one another prior to Night choosing to leave him in order to be re-born.
Yomna
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
So Good!
Scrill
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fantasy, xeno, ya, arc
I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review from St. Martin's Press via Netgalley.

"I want to lie beside you and know the weight of your dreams. I want to share whole worlds with you and write your name in the stars. I want to measure eternity with your laughter."

Roshani Chokshi has this way of writing that makes me feel like I am reading a beautiful LSD trip. In the land of Naraka there are creatures and immortal beings that run the unseen parts of the world. Death and
Care
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with The Star-Touched Queen long ago, and this novella is a beautiful, light prequel to that tale.

Death and Night both wander the world alone, Death in his palace with his faithful friend Gupta and Night in her dream fruit orchards with the beautiful Nritti. When Death hears of the goddess who asks to hear people's dreams in the Night Market and then sees her dancing through the starry sky, he immediately wants her for himself. But she won't accept a partner without love, and
Jamie Coudeville
God, I'm terrible. I finished this 2 days ago but forgot to update.

Anyway, I did like this book. I really liked Night and wouldn't have minded more about her. Death didn't interest me as much. But I'd love to know more backstory about Night (pretty please).
Alyssa

Publication Date: May 2, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Before The Star-Touched Queen there was only Death and Night.

Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This novella was included with the audio of The Crown of Wishes, and somehow that made me feel compelled to keep listening even though I would have never picked it up on its own. But, ironically, I enjoyed it much more than I expected to—much more than Maya and Amar’s main book. I loved Maya as Night—-she was a much more compelling character than she was in the original book, actually.

The novella wasn’t perfect. There
Austine (NovelKnight)
I was a bit leery about this novella. On the one hand,The Star-Touched Queenjust wasn't working for me. On the other, I loved A Crown of Wishes . Unfortunately,Death and Nightfell closer to the former as it told the tale of Amar and Maya before the events of TSTQ when it was only Death and Night.

Much like the first in the series, the writing is very descriptive and beautiful but suffered from the same fate where it was almosttoomuch. I mean, it's gorgeous, it really is, but even in a shorter
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
I absolutely loved The Star Touched Queen so I was really excited to read this novella. Roshani Chokshi's writing never ceases to amaze me, I don't even know how to properly describe it. Magical and poetic are probably the closest words. I really loved the characters in The Star Touched Queen and was really excited to get to read about them again in this prequel. I also missed the worlds from the book, so it was nice to visit the Night Bazaar once again. I would say go ahead and read The Star ...more
Susana

4.5 Stars

Brilliant as always.

Chiara
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, e-arcs
A copy of this novel was provided by St. Martin's Press for review via NetGalley.

I was incredibly excited when I learned that Death and Night was going to be a released. I absolutely loved both The Star-Touched Queen and A Crown of Wishes , and I couldn’t wait to read more of the world of the series, and in particular the past of Maya and Amar from The Star-Touched Queen.

I’m entirely unsurprised by the fact that I loved Death and Night. I have loved every single word of Roshani Chokshi’s
Livia
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of YA Fantasy/Fairy Tale Inspired novels & Audiobook Junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Roshani Chokshi
Narrator Priya Ayyar is fantastic! I am only a few chapters into it, but my ears are so happy again.

Review updated on Thursday, 7/13/17

.•**•Unabridged Audiobook Info•**•.

Narrated by: Priya Ayyar

Length: 3 hrs and 30 mins

Release Date: 05-02-17

Publisher: Macmillan Audio

Dual format read – yes or no?: No. Unfortunately, my library e-book loan period ended before I had time to go back and highlight any scenes. Consequently, this was an Audible audiobook listen only for me.

•**•
Audible Review Title:
Nara
Before I get into this review, I would definitely recommend that you read The Star-Touched Queen before reading the novella, because even though some things aren't explicitly stated, I feel like just the hints gleaned from this novella may spoil you for certain aspects of the novel (which is set in the future). In fact, you should probably stop reading this review if you haven't yet read TSTQ.

The writing is the beautiful prose that I've come to expect from Chokshi, the vivid descriptions
Kirra
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-review
I've wanted to read The Star-Touched Queen forever and I've tried to start it a few times but I've always been distracted so I thought this little snippet would be the perfect introduction in the world! Death and Night is the speedy little story of how Maya and Amar met and began their relationship. I know from the Star-Touched Queen that Amar is the King of Akaran and Maya is set to marry him to help against the rebellions and politics of their kingdoms but it was great to see that actual ...more
Acqua
In this novella, prequel to The Star-Touched Queen, we follow Amar (Death) and Maya (Night) as they fall in love for the first time.

Chokshi's writing is beautiful, as always. The Night Bazaar is one of my favorite settings of all times. I also really liked seeing how Nritti was before (view spoiler).

However, I didn't like the many conversations about love. ("Life is too long to be lived without [romantic] love"/"everyone wants [romantic] love"/"not falling in love
Fathima
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: royalty, mythology, 2017

I'm really glad I picked up this novella. To be honest , I didn't actually like The Star touched Queen that much mainly because I felt that the romance was forced. I'm not someone who hates insta-love but I'm not a fan of it either...
So reading this was really refreshing!
I loved the romance! This was what should have been there in the first book - the awkwardness , the shyness , the fear , the love!

Maybe there could be a sequel to it where we can see more of their love for each other
Shenwei
as gorgeous and swoony as always ...more
Caitlyn
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of TSTQ
Spilling with perfumed stars and midnight lustrous on night-touched skin. Loving and lovely.

Yet imagery does err on redundancy—stars, constellations, glass and stories on the crook of an elbow—and heavy telling: I could not feel Death and Night's love.

Nonetheless, prose hewn from gems and a pretty, if not necessary, novella.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ōkami (Flame in the Mist, #1.25)
  • Yumi (Flame in the Mist, #1.75)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
  • Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Over the Garden Wall Vol. 3
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Over the Garden Wall Vol. 4
  • The Forbidden Wish
  • Over the Garden Wall Vol. 2
  • Over The Garden Wall Original Graphic Novel: Distillatoria
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • The Rebel Mages (The Black Witch Chronicles #0.5-1.5)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
  • Purple Is Part of a Rainbow
Roshani Chokshi is the New York Times bestselling author of The Star-Touched Queen and A CROWN OF WISHES. Her middle grade debut, ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME, released April 3, 2018 from Disney/Rick Riordan Presents. The sequel, ARU SHAH AND THE SONG OF DEATH is slated to release April 30, 2019. Her next young adult novel, THE GILDED WOLVES, is slated for January 15, 2019. Chokshi's work has ...more

The Star-Touched Queen (2 books)
  • The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1)
  • A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2)
“There's always impossibilities in dreams. Dream more.” 7 likes
“Night heralded sleep and shadows, demons and dreams. But I heralded the night.” 5 likes