Start by marking “A Walk to Remember” as Want to Read:
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  658,037 ratings  ·  12,909 reviews
A high school rebel and a minister's daughter find strength in each other in this star-crossed tale of "young but everlasting love" (Chicago Sun-Times).There was a time when the world was sweeter....when the women in Beaufort, North Carolina, wore dresses, and the men donned hats.... Every April, when the wind smells of both the sea and lilacs, Landon Carter remembers 1958 ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 1999)

·  658,037 ratings  ·  12,909 reviews

Start your review of A Walk to Remember
Komal Mikaelson
Sylvia03
Aug 10, 2007 rated it liked it
I like the book better than the movie.

the struggle of jamie and langdon for their love over death...sounds cliche, but i think the book is the second best romance story next to Love Story by Erich Segal.

try to read it at 2 am in the morning when all you hear is silent and you'll get into the story until you burst into tears...

i smiled.
i cried.

nice.
B
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Especially people skeptical about reading Nicholas Sparks
This was my first book by Sparks, and let me tell you, it. was. perfect. It’s so hard writing reviews for books you absolutely love, and this review will not do this book justice, so just bear with me.

I was pretty unsure about this book at first, and when I was told by a friend to read a Sparks book, absolutely any of my choosing, I didn’t really want to. But, despite not wanting to read I book by him, because I was being stubborn and thought I would absolutely hate it, I went on my library’s w
James Trevino
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am surprised by how much I liked this one. This was my first Nicholas Sparks read and after years of it being recommended to me I finally gave in.

I expected a by the numbers, cliche, love story. And it was in a way, but the characters were great and so the journey was great. And sad.

You know where this is headed from the very beginning in a way, but it still surprises you at points.
And no, I did not cry... I think... Maybe... Manly tears only...
Tahera
It has taken me 19 years to finally read 'A Walk to Remember'... the movie version is one of my all time favourites. Although after reading the book I now realise that the movie was tweaked a bit, it nevertheless still retained the essence of the book ❤️.

Book or movie? Definitely movie!!
AMEERA 🌱
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
i'll be honest i'm not huge fan of romantic books but this book was different in some way have a beautiful message and i get it
elena
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
listen,,,

a walk to remember, the 2002 movie, is a favorite film.

it makes me cry. ugly cry. it makes me realize how ugly yet beautiful love is.

years later, i finally read the book.

preferably, i enjoyed the movie more.
the book didn't make me cry, the movie did. i wish it was the opposite...but, it's not the case with this book.

i'm still giving this 5 stars.
i guess it's cause i've seen the movie, which is always a bad idea to do first.
i guess it's because i knew what was gonna happen, even if the
Beth
I've been ugly crying for the last 20% of the book.

Emotional wreck.
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, love-story
"Promise me, that you won't fall in love with me" says Jamie Sullivan to Landon Carter at the beginning of the novel. Nicholas Sparks might as well be telling me that because I picked this book based on my friend Patrick who has been insisting that this is the best Sparks. You see this is my 6th Sparks. I stopped after reading Safe Haven (2 stars) because I got tired of his Hallmark-kind of storytelling. So, I decided to give Sparks another try with a big doubt whether I would like this. This is ...more
Sharon
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-read
They say opposites attract and for Jamie Sullivan and Landon Carter this was true. Jamie was the daughter of a small town baptist minister. Jamie was a sweet, kind girl who liked to volunteer at orphanages and rescue animals. Everywhere she went she carried her bible and she never put on make up and didn't mix with the so called cool kids. Where as Landon was totally the opposite as he was one of the cool popular kids who would hang out with his friends after dark.

Hard to imagine, but Landon fi
Jess
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I fall in love with this book more and more each time I read it :) This is my favorite book and I'm glad I made it a tradition to reread it every year :)

Read for the first time: 2002? 2003?
Read for the second time: 2009?
Read for the third time: December 9, 2013
Read for the 8th time: December 28, 2018
Read for the 9th time: Decemb
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Walk to Remember, Nicholas Sparks
The story starts with a prologue from Landon Carter at age 57. The remainder of the story takes place when Landon is a 17-year-old high school senior. Landon lives in the small, religious town of Beaufort, North Carolina. His father is a genial, charismatic congressman. Landon's father is not around very much, as he lives in Washington, D.C. Landon is more reclusive, which causes some tension in their relationship. Landon's father pressures him into running fo
Casey
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Sparks fans, but no one else
Shelves: your-book-sucked
A Walk to Remember details the story of Jamie Sullivan, a preacher's daughter who seems to know everything, and Landon Carter, the boy who would never be tempted by Jamie in real life. The plot is predictable enough, even if you haven't seen the movie. I won't spoil the ending here, but it leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I wanted to like this book, since so many people I knew enjoyed it, but I ended up hating it. The material was far too idyllic in some parts, and overly sanguine in others. I c
Jasmin
♪♫♪I'll always remember
It was late afternoon
It lasted forever
And ended too soon.
CRY, Mandy Moore

The song Cry, perfectly describes A Walk To Remember. It was short, but it would definitely be etched in my cranium for forever.

Who wouldn’t know Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan? In the movie, they were cast as Mandy Moore and Shane West.

[image error]

I remember it being a hit when I was in high school years ago. I watched the movie and loved it. I knew there was a book, but I only had a chance to
Ash
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
first book of 2016 is a reread! I haven't read this book in a really long time. I forgot how short it was, it took me about an hour and a half to get through.

I still love it as much as I remember. Yes, its different than the movie, and I watched the movie first, many years ago...but the book is great, and its probably my favorite Sparks book to date.

come find me: IG: @ash.reads
Namratha
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I am not a Nicholas Sparks fan. I like my love stories with a little more pizzazz, wit and humour. I want the heroines to be headstrong and dripping with pithy comebacks. I expect the heroes to be unassuming to begin with and memorable by the time I shut the book. And most of all, I want...no, I DEMAND a happy ending. So, keeping all these requirements in mind, A Walk To Remember is not my cup of tea.

And yet, dare I use a dreadful pun? The books had it's occasional *sparks*. It helped that I
Rollie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm Rollie... and now leaping over my bounded forte?

Romance is the least among the genres that I craved to try. Instead, I stumbled upon reading this love story book. A risk indeed to read a different genre especially when it exempts among the genres you always thinks about. Thus, it doesn't just take twenty gulps to risk for it but takes time and sweat to decide the dilemma whether to give it a shot or not. Lately, I decided to widen my braced genres and I thought this book is worth the risk t
Ardent Reader
A very emotional story that will rip your heart.
I was so engrossed in the book where I was not aware until the story end.
A very touching romance.
Alexxy
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
'It was, I remembered thinking, the most difficult walk anyone ever had to make.
In every way, a walk to remember.'

If I was to shorten the story in one sentence, I'd say A Walk to Remember is the story of bad boy Landon falling in love with sweet and innocent Jamie.

The writing was easy and the plot wasn't too complicated. Some things were also a tad bit cliché but I don't think that anything will ever be new in romance novels anymore.

At first, Landon's character really pissed me off
Meret Magdi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2017-reads, on-tv
3.5 stars (:
So beautiful :') ..
I have seen the movie many years ago, but I still enjoyed reading this very much❤..
My favourite part here is the part where Landon starts to change..
My only problem was that I felt their love but I couldnt feel their sorrow..
Am I making sense?
Eventhough I really liked this book, I have to say, I had expected a little more when I first started it :( ..
Suraya (thesuraya)
given that i have watched the movie multiple times before, this book is not what I expected to read. the are so many differences between both the movie and the book. the book is special but I love the movie way more. The movie meant a lot to me than the book did.
Sandy
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
I only picked up this book from the library because they didn't have the specific books I was looking for in, so I walked through the aisles and randomly selected a few so the trip wasn't a waste. When I saw it on the shelf, I remembered that someone a while ago had recommended that I read it and "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks, and because books are almost always better than the movie versions, I decided to give it a shot.

I actually liked the movie when I saw it. I am a sappy girl like that s
Suzanne
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Read prior to GR. I just bought this last week for my daughter, so you never know. I may re-read. Loved the movie too, the lesser known Shane West was a fave from my very most fave show ER. Sweet, innocent and hopeful. What's not to love about that?
Bridget
Aug 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Hated it. First and last Sparks book for me. Tried way to hard to go for the tear jerking moments.
Anne
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a truly beautiful and simple love story
Recommended to Anne by: Sarah - Thornton's girl
I love A Walk to Remember. Simply love it.

And I don't often say this, but the movie was better. I loved this book, and it had many wonderful elements that the movie lacked, but somehow it didn't come get me the way the movie never fails to do. I never cry at movies, as in never (ask Becca - she'll gladly give you a ready confirmation!), but A Walk to Remember usually makes me tear up a few times.

I've seen it countless times and love it so much that I thought it was finally time to give the boo
Syndi
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ah! what a beautiful heart wrenching poignant love story.

its very very simple yet very much complx at the same time. this is the only nicholas sparks novel that i love. none of his other novels can compare to this book.

and the movie.... tear jerking for sure.
Aisyah ♡
My first Nick Sparks book, a beautiful one too. At first I was kind of reluctant to read it since the story is set in 1958 and I thought it was going to be slow and well, boring. Boy was I wrong, this book was engaging and I feel that it's very entertaining to read the book in Landon's POV.

I particularly love the stark contrast between Landon, the bad boy gone good, and Jamie, the devout Christian girl who is everything nice on the surface and with closer inspection, a strong character whom I f
Rahma Firda
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Hello guys... let’s me give you about my book review. I will give you a review about novel with the title A Walk to Remember. This novel written by Nicholas Spark in 1999.
This story began when a seventeen years old boy named Landon met a beautiful girl named Jamie sullivan. Jamie Sullivan is the daughter of a pastor in her country. She always carried a bibble everywhere and anytime. In her school none of her friend liked her, because in their friend opinion Jammie is an odd girl. However, Jammie
Teresa
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I can't even begin to explain how wonderful this book was. Once again, Nicholas Sparks outdone himself. When I first started reading this, I didn't expect much, seeing as how it was a tragedy and I don't really care for tragedies, after the disaster with Romeo and Juliet LOL. However, there was something more to this book than other sad books I've read in my life. For one, this book touched my heart-REALLY touched my heart- and made me ask myself all these questions about love an ...more
Effy
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“You have to promise you won't fall in love with me.”

You are heading towards an unprecedented calamity. You have a vague premonition of the emotional wreckage you'll suffer in no time at all. Yet you go against your sense of foreboding and end up having an irreparably broken heart at the end.

This recapitulates my bittersweet experience reading A Walk to Remember.

Nicholas Sparks used to be too mainstream and overrated an author for my taste. I decided to read this novel on a whim after watching
After world -life after suicide ? 1 4 Mar 10, 2020 11:12AM
How do you interpret the ending? 46 1897 Mar 13, 2019 11:55AM
Books2Movies Club: A Walk to Remember - book and movie 1 17 Dec 03, 2017 11:19AM
The Book Was Better: A WALK TO REMEMBER 31 157 Oct 11, 2017 07:22AM
Which is better the movie or the book? 37 184 Apr 23, 2017 04:21PM

• Dear John (screenplay)
  • The Last Song: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • The Lucky One (Main Theme): Piano Solo, Sheet
  • Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
  • Letters to Juliet: Celebrating Shakespeare's Greatest Heroine, the Magical City of Verona, and the Power of Love
  • The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • The Last Song Songbook: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3)
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

Articles featuring this book

Get in the mood with our list of the top 100 romances of all time. We narrowed the field by limiting our results to books aimed at a...
“Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it.” 22209 likes