Start by marking “Bones in the Garden” as Want to Read:
Bones in the Garden

Bones in the Garden

Here lies the anatomy of the first Heartbreak.

But,

take my advice, you can grow, you can heal, you can learn, no matter what.
Just pick yourself up and keep going.
Published May 21st 2017 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Bones in the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones in the Garden

McKayla Debonis
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is so biased because I wrote it but I absolutely love what I've done sooooo!
Shelby Leigh
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a pleasure to read McKayla's newest poetry book. There were many poems in this book that made me think and that I agreed strongly with. However, there were also poems I didn't quite understand, but maybe I just couldn't relate to those. The last few poems were my favorite in the collection and I really enjoyed the unique style McKayla used for her poems as well!
Jennae Cecelia
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
McKayla has really grown as a writer since her first book! Bones In the Garden is for those suffering a heartbreak and trying to replenish from it. There were some poems that I connected to very much but there were a few that I didn't quite understand (part of this I think was due to a few word choice changes). I really loved the drawings within the book. Very beautiful! If you are someone who has or is heartbroken, I recommend giving this a read!
Sophia Hanson
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

A lovely, dark collection from a promising poetess. I read this chapbook in one sitting. It was raw, honest, and at times hypnotic. I docked half a star for a few filler poems I think it could have done without, but all in all an excellent collection! Well done, McKayla!
Jessica Ciarcz
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really noticed how much the author has grown since her first poetry book! I love being able to see that development :) I really enjoyed this.
Fatima AlSuwaidi
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of poems about self love and moving on, dark sometimes but beautiful nonetheless. I fell in love and connected with most of them. Beautiful illustrations too.
Fida Islaih
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful!

I love the connections the author makes of love and nature. Some pieces are dark but there is inspiration in them. There are uplifting poems, too.
Veta
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
[2.5] I didn't click with this one. I will admit to enjoying some individual poems, though as a collection it felt really bland. It lacked emotion for me. I confess that my emotions are fairly void at the moment, but the style and overall word choice just didn't work for me. I wouldn't mind seeing what she writes later since there were a few that I liked.
Michelle
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was filled with many beautiful poems. I'm very glad I read this as it had so many wonderful poems and an overall amazing message given through the writing and the authors note. Loved it.
Brittany Julian
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely beautiful poetry book full of insight into the death of harmful relationships and the blossoming of genuine love.
Katie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018poetryreads
I like the theme of this poetry collection of gardens, regrowth, and bones, and all the subjects they can represent. It’s well presented, with illustrations.

‘How can one man destroy the

Structure that holds me together?’

What McKayla does is plant seeds, and lays to rest the past, metaphorically layered, using plants: Wildflowers, poppies, trees: Weeping Willows, and animals: Bees.

‘I am more than scars etched in white,’

McKayla writes at the back of the book that these poems were written during a
Alexa
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to judge a collection of poems, because each of them are so different. It is also difficult to judge something so personal to the author.

I have to admit this collection felt a little repetitive sometimes, with some of the poems being just a bit too similar. However, there were other poems that were absolutely wonderful, and I especially appreciated how the simple yet beautiful illustrations harmonised together with the poems.

I suppose the problem is that I had trouble relating to
M.F. Yasmin
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this book, purely by chance, scouting Amazon for new things to read. What caught my eye first was the title, and it made me wonder about the possible meanings behind it. With the bonus of such beautiful artwork on the cover, I had to buy it, and I'm so glad I did. Bones in the Garden ticks every single box for me, from its style to its themes, and most importantly, its content. Debonis writes in such a powerful and moving manner, that I found a part of myself in her words (see Wildf ...more
Isabelle
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed McKayla's raw and open style of writing. Personally, I love to interrogate a poem for meaning and some of McKayla's work felt too short or the ideas underdeveloped for this. Having said that, some of McKayla's poems really explored her relationship with nature around her and the imagery of pain and growth here was strong. For me, poems in the collection lacked detail in imagery, but overall this is a strong collection with beautiful illustrations and a carefully considered theme throug ...more
Helen
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2018
Wasn't hugely impressed with this collection; there were some nice images and the theme was consistent - but perhaps a little too consistent, as it tended to feel repetitive in places. It was an interesting concept but didn't entirely work for me.
Allie (alliembooks)
Flourish

I really love the topics of destruction and rebirth. There was a really nice rhythm and spacing that I appreciated in each of the poems. I also liked that there was a clear timeline followed and nature/flowers was a good way to explore this pain and struggle.
Brynne
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really lovely book of poems. There were some that wanted a little more refining, but many that were achingly lovely (to the point where I may get a line from here tattooed on me) and left me wanting more. I can't wait to see what this author has in store next.
Charlene
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
*actual rating: 4.5/5
Ritta
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't think this is my type of poetry, to be quite honest. It's riddled with metaphors and similes, so much they felt like they were shoved into my face. The imagery of bones, flowers and garden were present in the whole collection and it was a bit much for me, to be honest.

However, there are some beautiful passages and, like it's said in author's note, all these poems were written after heartbreak, during a rough time of the author's life and I totally agree with the message she conveys. Basi
Alejandra
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5
Alexis Mendez
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly beautiful and follows the theme of brokeness begetting bloom. “Bones in the Garden” is full of emotion and imagery that will forever flower in my mind. I truly recommend it.
Sam Blondell
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow

What a beautiful, heartfelt and wonderful collection of poems that make you feel emotions you forgot and feelings you buried away. amazing writing
Hazzie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A beautiful collection dealing with the trauma of heartbreak, I'm looking forward to more from McKayla
Leila Tualla
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was short and definitely not sweet, but very raw read about being consumed with another person so much that they undeniably become a part of us, and then the heartbreak comes where we are forced to evaluate who we are before, and who we are after. It had moments where you sense the poet's epiphany about letting go of and wrapping herself up in the beauty and strength that is her. Lovely. I enjoyed the illustrations that went with this collection.

I had several favorites (my grey sky, Home C
Violeta Nicola
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book with beautiful poems inside. Full review here http://violetanicola.ro/bones-in-the-...
cheyenne raine
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was really excited to read this book, as McKayla had been sharing so many little excerpts on her social media which always makes a reader excited! Such a tease for our eyes. And, she did not disappoint. There was a mixture of love, loss, empowerment, self-love, kindness, bravery and much more. I loved that the poems revolved around the theme of bones and flowers. It's definitely a book to read while you sit outside, letting all the words flow through you like the wind. McKayla leaves you wanti ...more
Gabriella
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Break up poetry speaks to me so much right now. Just what I needed.
May 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: poetry
I don't really get modern poetry . . . It just seems like nicely phrased sentences? But hey, at least there are some pretty ones in here.
I'm going to refrain from rating because I don't really have one? ? I have some nice words and some nice imagery with deeper meaning in my head now, and I don't feel like plastering a star rating over it.
Lord Huey
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rather wonderful read. You can feel the author's emotions through the writing and a few pieces stuck with me personally. Definitely worth adding to a reading list.
Ellis
Oh, I wanted to like this way more than I did. This will probably appeal to people who loved The Last Time I'll Write About You, but it also had some of the same issues for me. As was the case with The Last Time I'll Write About You, some of the Bones in the Garden poems read more like ordinary thoughts broken up by rather randomly inserted line breaks to make them sound deeper than they actually are. The words in these poems are also frequently italicised. Sometimes this works and they put the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Mckayla is a bookworm of a soul, and realized that her mind was spinning with the same creativity of her beloved writers, leading to her own poetry, prose, and other writings. Her Hogwarts house is Hufflepuff and you'll definitely find her with a cup of coffee in her hand and her nose in a book at all times.

You can find her on any social media platform as, mckayladebonis
“You live to poison every beautiful
flower that you come in contact
with

- I pray for the next girl
you may or may not