Start by marking “Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball” as Want to Read:
Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball

Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball

(Amelia Fang #1)

Meet Amelia Fang.

She loves playing Goblin Tag, and cuddling her pet pumpkin, Squashy. She hates going to her mum and dad's boring Barbaric Ball. Oh, and one more thing - Amelia is a vampire.

When the spoilt prince of Nocturnia captures Squashy, Amelia must plan a daring rescue. But things in the Kingdom of the Dark may not be all they seem...

Join Amelia on her first abomina
Published October 5th 2017 by Egmont UK Limited (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball

Susan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This first in a new series has a very attractive cover, which is sure to appeal to fans of books, such as “Witch Wars.” It has twenty short chapters, is just over 200 pages long and is packed with black and white illustrations. As such it will appeal to confident readers, who are ready to embark on slightly longer books.

The front of the book has a double page map of Nocturnia, the City in the Kingdom of the Dark, complete with Nocturnia Palace, the Fang Mansion, Rickety Residences, Catacome Aca
Lena
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, own-e-copy
"Amelia and her friends loved reading stories about the Creatures of the Light: the gruesome glittery unicorns (Nocturnians were TERRIFIED of glitter), the evil sparkly fairies and the cute and fluffy angel-kittens of terror. It was the stuff of daymares. Everyone knew that while Nocturnians were sleeping and the sun was out, terrifying creatures from the nearby Kingdom of the Light lurked around the Petrified Forest. Nocturnians didn't dare step outside again until nightfall, if the could help ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Set in Nocturnia, Amelia and the rest of the Fang family are preparing to host the latest Barbaric ball the only annual event in Nocturnal only this time, the king and prince are attending too.

Ahead of time Amelia has to show the prince around her school where he acts very stuffily towards them all and when he has dinner with the whole family pre barbaric ball, he acts entitled and ends up taking Amelia's Squashy, her friend!

Amelia sets off determined to retrieve Squashy away from the awful prin
Lisaswestcoastreads
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
This book was fantastic and I laughed from start to finish. Great use of alliteration throughout. Loved the spoilt Prince Tangine ans the side characters. Amelia and her pet Squashy were so cute fantastic illustrations of all the characters too.
Kristina
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolutely adorable <3
Kelly
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Fang is doing her best to be nice to the Prince of Nocturnia but when he is so mean, not only to her but her friends Florence the Yeti and Grimaldi the Reaper, she struggles to keep being the friendliest vampire around!

Amelia Fang And The Barbaric Ball is the first children's book that talented and familiar illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson has both written and illustrated and it is going to absolutely delight kids with its laugh out loud humour and description of the creatures living in N
Robin Stevens
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful, punny and brilliantly illustrated, this is a charming and madcap Halloween adventure that will make every reader want a pet pumpkin of their own! 7+

Connie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My homework for October. This is a cute wee book filled with dark delights and fabulous illustrations. Amelia and her friends live in Nocturnia where all things glittery are the stuff of 'daymares'. The little horrors are going to devour this book.
Ken
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A charming read for people of all ages this Halloween.

I became aware of this book due to it being part of Waterstones recommendations this month (and I'm always taking advantage of their 'buy one get a second half price' deal), their was just something about the cover that jumped out at me.

I found the story very entertaining and has tons of funny gags , the diePhone practically appealed to me.

The book is scattered with loads of lovely illustrations too, I felt the story also offers some importan
Laura D
Fangtastic!

Set in Nocturnia, a world where darkness rules and glittery stuff is scary. Amelia Fang, a vampire, is not looking forward to the Barbaric Ball her mother is hosting as its super boring and full of adults. This ball will be different though as the King of Nocturnia is attending with his son Tangine. To make it even worst Tangine has just started attending Amelia’s school and she must show him around. On top of that he is obnoxious, spoilt, mean to Amelia and her friends and has stolen
Hélène Louise
A very sweet and malicious story with an adorable pacific little vampire girl and her very very cute pet-pumpkin! The inversion of point of view (daytime is so scary with its abominable monsters as kittens and unicorns!)
The story deals prettily about friendship and first impressions, and rather deeply about neglecting parents, without being depressing.
Not to forget the illustrations which are wonderful!
I've bought the sequels and will be happy to read them soon :)
Laura Noakes
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
This was a tremendously fun read! It was hilarious (The GBBO reference got me!), and I really enjoyed the themes of friendship. The illustrations were GORGEOUS, and I think the concept and world was richly imagined and brilliantly executed. Would thoroughly rec this for early middle grade readers, and I can't wait to read the next one!
Kelly
Are you looking for the perfect Halloween, spooky read for your young ones? If so, then look no further! Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball is the PERFECT creepy read for the youngsters this Halloween.

Amelia Fang is no ordinary girl. She is a vampire and her best friends are Florence, a rare breed of yeti, and Grimaldi, a young Grim Reaper in training. Not to forget her absolutely adorable sidekick Squashy the pumpkin. Amelia’s parents are hosting the annual Barbaric Ball and the King and his son
Mehsi
A vampire girl, a pumpkin, an annoying prince, lots of icky food (at least for us humans), and a Barbaric Ball!

So I was really excited about this book, I love Laura Ellen Anderson's work, and I was just delighted that she would also be writing (and illustrating) books like this.

This review may be a bit chaotic, I am quite tired, but I do want to write a review, because I really love this book.

Meet Amelia Fang, she is a vampire and has a little pet pumpkin named Squashy (who is super-adorable an
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was quite different to my expectations of it, but I still liked the story as a whole. It`s about Amelia Fang, who lives in a fictional world called Nocturnia, as her family are arranging the Barbaric Ball and manage to draw out the king and his son from their palace for the first time in years. Amelia was an enjoyable heroine, her friends Florence and Grimaldi were both very distinct and unique, and the supporting characters such as Amelia`s family or butler Woo were great too. My favo ...more
Michele
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Amelia's kingdom of Nocturnia, everyone fears the evil Creatures of the Light: unicorns, kittens, fairies, etc. all the while chowing down on food items made of pus, scabs, and sweat. Amelia's mother is planning the gala event of the year and the kingdom is excited that Prince Tangine is attending. However, Tangine turns out to be a bratty cross between Draco Malfoy and Veruca Salt. All of the adults in this story are pretty dismal at parenting. Amelia discovers that Tangine's absent mother i ...more
Rebecca Rouillard
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming tale for young readers about a vampire, her pals (a junior grim reaper and an extremely rare yeti) and her pet pumpkin - Squashy. Along the same lines as Goth Girl. I love the fact that the most terrifying thing Amelia and her friends can imagine is a unicorn!
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the illustration style and mix of characters, something I’d definitely recommend to friends’s children
Jenni
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pet pumpkins, bad puns, GBBO references and glitterfobia... what more could you want? A great read for 5-8 year olds, or even older. Whimsical, funny and silly (in a good way)!
Mrs G
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny story with fab illustrations perfect for autumn. 8 years+
Jeanette
A fun read-a-loud for the month of October. Admittedly, my kids enjoyed it much more than I did and they are looking forward to reading the next book in the series when it comes out in a few months.
Anna Davidson
A super fun Junior Fiction series about vampires, ghosts and fairies. This series has a bit of everything - adventure, friendship, mystery. Great illustrations as well.
Geoff Lynas
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully produced book. Lavishly illustrated by the author. A fun story. All of the characters are very sweet - including the baddie. Laura has created a quirky world which allows her full rein on funny, vile and disgustingly funny detail. A great book to read to your younger kids (5-7, maybe even a bit younger). Recommended.
Jenn
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was ADORABLE!!!
Christina Reid
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
It was useless for Amelia to speak to her mother about what she wanted. Being a Fang meant countless vampiress etiquette lessons, cobwebbing practice and never-ending preparations for the Barbaric Ball. Sometimes Amelia wished she belonged to a different family.

See this review with formatting and pictures here.
This is the debut middle-grade novel from Laura Ellen Anderson, who most people might already know because she is the illustrator for the Witch Wars series by Sibéal Pounder. The illustra
Kim Dyer
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This first Amelia Fang adventure is a wonderful story for younger readers. The world building is fabulously original. it's set in a delightfully grotesque world where all things creepy and disgusting are normal, and cute and glittery things are something to be feared. The reversal is simple, but massively effective and leads to some very cute and funny scenes (such as a vampire fleeing in fear from a kitten).

The illustrations of the story are equally charming, with Anderson's art doing a great j
Holly
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

This is the book I wish had been around back when I taught primary kids.

TL;DR - A gross and funny tale of vampires, yetis and obnoxious princes, with sublime illustrations.

RAGDOLL RATING: 5/5 BUTTONS (Fang-tastsic)

What I thought...

I read this book because of the cover art. I adore the art style. It's so cute and fun. I wanted to see if the story was as good as the art. (It is).

It's time for the annual Barbaric Ball, and Amelia is dreading it. Prince Tangin
Dominique Valente
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the dark world of Nocturnia, vampires and yetis and grim reapers are bosom buddies, but nothing is more evil than GLITTER, or daylight for that matter.

Here Amelia Fang's parents are hosting their annual Barbaric Ball, and everyone is excited to attend, except for their daughter, who is always the only child to attend, until now that the prince's son, Tangine, is coming ...

I've looked forward to reading this for some time, as I'm a huge fan of Laura Ellen Anderson's illustrations, and had the
Aeicha
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Amelia Fang series is a laugh-out-loud, fun new middle-grade series about a young vampire named Amelia. Amelia lives in Nocturnia, home of creatures of the dark. She loves hanging with her best friends, Florence (a special breed of yeti) and Grimaldi (a grim reaper in trainer), and adores her pet pumpkin Squashy. In book one, Amelia Fang and The Barbaric Ball, Amelia is not excited about attending the traditional Barbaric Ball, but, when she learns young Prince Tangine will also be going, sh ...more
Imogen Fremaux
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Monster High: Freaky Fusion The Junior Novel
  • Nooit de buren bijten
  • Brightstorm
  • Big Fright
  • Bloody Brat, Vol.1 (Bloody Brat, #1)
  • Who's That Ghoulfriend? (Ghoulfriends, #3)
  • The Awesome
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • Doktor Erich Kästners Lyrische Hausapotheke
  • The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery (A Train to impossible places, #1)
  • ロザリオとバンパイア season II 14 [Rozario to Banpaia Season II 14] (Rosario+Vampire Season II, #14)
  • Conjugal Rites (Brenda & Effie Mystery #3)
  • Ich mach dich gesund, sagte der Bär
  • Tin
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • Chase (Chase #1)
  • Running on the Roof of the World
Laura Ellen Anderson is the illustrator of several books for children, as well as the author-illustrator of the graphic novel Evil Emperor Penguin. Laura Ellen Anderson lives in London.

Amelia Fang (5 books)
  • Amelia Fang and the Unicorn Lords
  • Amelia Fang and the Memory Thief
  • Amelia Fang and the Half-Moon Holiday (The Amelia Fang Series)
  • Amelia Fang, Books 1 and 2: Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball; Amelia Fang and the Unicorns of Glitteropolis