Start by marking “It's Okay to Sparkle” as Want to Read:
It's Okay to Sparkle

It's Okay to Sparkle

The inspirational story, told in her own words, of 7-year-old Avery Jackson, who was assigned male at birth, but has now transitioned into a young girl, tells the story of how she realized she was a girl and how she helped her parents and friends to understand her transition. Her heart-warming story covers themes of friendship, bullying and self-esteem. Whether you're into ...more
Published January 21st 2017 by Debi Jackson

To ask other readers questions about It's Okay to Sparkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Okay to Sparkle

Start your review of It's Okay to Sparkle
Kathleen
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
S's reading It's Okay to Sparkle and she got to the part with "when I was born, they thought I was a boy, but I knew in my heart I was a girl" and she gasped, turned around, and said, "that's just like me!" with the hugest grin on her face
Sydney Ossege
Such an inspirational story that all should read! To my knowledge and past reading, I have never been exposed to a book like this, but I was thrilled to see a published book talking about this subject. When she stated "I was born a boy, but in my heart I knew I was a girl" I was immediately connected to this book and did not want to put it down. I truly believe that all children books has a message for adult readers as well, and with this one I believe it should be read by all. Detailing her lif ...more
Senecca Fuller
This book is very unique to me. When I was younger, I never really see any books about this topic since it was taboo at the time. Now, I very much enjoy this book. The illustrations are adorable and I liked how this book explains how Avery becoming a girl after being born as a boy and when she knew she was a girl, not a boy. This book will be useful for my classroom to help my students understand more about the LGBT community and to learn the lesson of acceptance of who you are.
Carlie Lattanzio
This is a very inspirational story. It is told in her own words. This book is about a 7-year-old Avery Jackson, who was assigned male at birth but has now transitioned into a young girl. She tells the story of how she realized she was a girl and how she helped her parents and friends to understand her transition. This book is really amazing and should be read to children to help understand transgender.
Miss Ryoko
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I LOVE that this book was written by a kid who experienced everything she wrote about! I think young readers will really be able to connect to that.

I loved the pictures of Avery at the end. She has some super cool hair that I'm totally jealous of! Thanks for sharing your story Avery! You are a beautiful young lady with a heart of gold!
Linsey Atkinson
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was such a good read. This is also a good book to read to children to help them realize many things! It shows that it’s okay to be anything you want to be! Only you can know what you want to be, so be it. Avery is a strong independent and powerful young girl and it shows. Children need to see this.
Sierra McCorvey
Avery Jackson was born a male, but found her truest self as a girl. The book describes the idea of transgendered to young audiences. The book also brings up topics of diversity, acceptance, bullying and parenting a transgendered child. This book presents an opportunity to educate everyone and open up dialogue on the gender spectrum.
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book about being transgender. It is told from the child's point of view. It discusses people who don't like her and problems with the bathroom. Very straight forward. This would be a good book for discussion in class.
Epeeblade
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute. Explains things very simplistically for children.
Debi Jackson
Jun 06, 2019
Rhian Burghardt
Feb 09, 2019
Morgan Sauerwein
This book is the story off a 7 year old named Avery Jackson. Avery was born biologically a male. Now, she has transitioned into a girl. She discusses how she knew she was a girl and how her parents and friends needed help understanding. While this wasn't easy, Avery did it. This transition rough about bullying and self-esteem issues, but also many beautiful things. It shows that you are able to be who you want and still be loved. It is written in a way that children can't understand and be inspi ...more
Amy