Start by marking “We Other” as Want to Read:
We Other

We Other

A gripping fantasy for young adults and anyone who enjoys a journey into a twilight world. Sue Bentley is a master story teller.

Family secrets, changelings, and fairies you never want to meet on a dark night.

Jess Morgan’s life has always been chaotic. When a startling new reality cannot be denied, it’s clear that everything she believed about herself is a lie. She is linke
Published April 28th 2017 by Everything With Words

To ask other readers questions about We Other, please sign up.
Sue Bentley There will be another book set in the world of We Other, with some original and many exciting new characters. I'm at work now on, Scar You.…moreThere will be another book set in the world of We Other, with some original and many exciting new characters. I'm at work now on, Scar You.(less)

Start your review of We Other
Dash fan
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4☆ A Dark Adult Fairy Tale.

We Other is a dark, adult fairy tale that combines fantasy with real life as paths entwined.

I am not normally a fantasy or horror reader, but something just drew me to it.
I'm actually glad I did as it was very different.

I'm not going to talk about the plot as this is a book that needs to be discovered by you.
The blurb teases just enough to draw you in.

Sue has put alot of thought and research into We Other, she creates an exotic yet dark world that combines fairies that
Yvonne
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jess Morgan’s life has never been “normal” as she has had her alcoholic mum Alice, to look after. Jess has always felt different to everyone else of her age and never really fitted in, with her scruffy charity shop clothing and her scavenging food bins doesn’t help. But things are changing for her and for all she knows, or thinks she knows.

This is a fantasy nook aimed at YA readers that I really did loose myself in. A story that tells of Jess and her life growing up is twisted seamlessly into a
Kirsty ~ Paper Hearts Ink
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, where do I start with this book? This is the second time I've read We Other and it truly, truly has my heart.

A gorgeous tale that is so rich with detail I was fully immersed in Jess' world. I like my fiction a little on the dark side and this catered to my tastes perfectly. The characters are well rounded and intriguing, and there are so many I love--even (especially) the bad ones!

Jess Morgan is a kick-ass protagonist that really goes through some tough life challenges. I loved that the
Lucy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-borrowed
Wow. If you love the Fae, read this! Sue Bentley has created intrigue and fear, love and loss, and she has done them all beautifully! I need more!!
Andy
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Gritty and wondrous by turns, it is balanced and well told, well paced and deft. A young adult fantasy, but it's been 35 years since I fitted that category and I thought it was great. ...more
Thea Bennett
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my best read of 2017! I know Sue Bentley's fiction for younger readers well. (she's the author of the Magic Kitten, Magic Puppy, Magic Bunny and Magic Pony series for kids.) All her work for kids is very well written, but she's got much more to her. We Other has so much to like. Superb characterisation, stunning descriptions, lots of emotional tension as the main character Jess struggles to come out on top of the very tough hand that life has dealt her. And the main premise of the book - ...more
Bobby Smith
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a present from my girlfriend. She bought it at the Olympia festival and got a signed copy!! Started to read it. Couldn't put it down. Now I'm blitzed. Brilliant, realistic, scary, I'd like to believe it's true based on the author's experience as Jess, how else could you know such detail. I want more, more, more.
Vicky
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do have a weakness for fantasy, as might be evident from my choice of book reviews, and for YA in particular: so often, it’s about people finding their feet and coming to accept themselves as they grow into adulthood, which remains a fascinating subject, however old you are.
When I was sent the book, I admit I was intrigued as to how I’d feel reading it. This is Sue Bentley’s first YA novel- having previously written for children- and I was interested to see how that experience would translate
Lisa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin with such a wonderful novel!
We other is a dark fairytale mixed with modern day life.
The storyline is fast paced and reeled me in from the first chapter. The story switches from a few different character perspectives. Jess the main character, has a troubled life with an alcoholic mother, my heart ached for her and the situation she's in. Jess has an inner strength and a hidden secret that even she isn't aware of! At times I wanted to jump inside the book and look after her!
Cal ...more
Terry
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A YA book that is definitely a must for adults as well.
Jess hasn't got the best life at home, what happened to get her here, in this life. Caleb, misunderstood and confused at times. A friendship and more?
This story is magical and leads you from the human world which can be rough and hard going, to the fantasy depths of fairies, changelings, courts to forest world's.
I honestly wasn't sure as haven't read any YA in ages, so glad I did.
Absolutely loved it and am so glad to have been part of the
Jenny Lane
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful! I love dark fantasy and this really hit the right balance between fairytale and realism. I adored all the characters, Jess being the tomboy heroin in the story was definitely my favourite. Not usually a fan of the whole fairy princess and romance stuff but this book was tasteful and had a brilliant plot to it. Kept me guessing all the way to the end!
Angela-Gaye Mallory
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my ... what a stunnng book. I absolutely loved it. What an amazing other world Sue portrays in such beautiful detail. I felt like I was there. I want more!
Karen Cole
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure quite how to describe We Other but I can say without any hesitation that I loved this book and am already looking forward to the next instalment. Sue Bentley has combined the drama of a YA coming of age tale with the suspense of a thriller and the intrigue and magic of a fantasy novel - one which crosses effortlessly between its urban and otherworldly settings.
The book begins with a quote from Keats' 'La Belle Dame Sans Merci' which gives a poetical hint to lyricism of the mystery c
Kim Shelley
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I honestly don’t know what I was expecting from this book as the blurb didn’t really give much away. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised and couldn’t seem to put the book down. It’s got everything from faeries and pixies to a alcoholic mum and her violent boyfriend. Fanstasy, crime and the unknowing. I loved it!

My heart seriously went out to Jess, really having to scrimp and scour the streets for what seemed like scraps. Then after a life changing event for Jess and her mum hitting rock bott
Allie Bock
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and Rachel's Random Resources for this book.

I am just going to come out and say it. I loved this book!!! I was excited to read it and the author did not disappoint! I am going to gush on the story for a bit. I hope you don't mind.

The characters were well written. I felt all the humans had a lovely character arc and had grown throughout the story. The Fae did not have any character growth, but then again we can't expect them to as they are Fae after all. Jess went from a l
Emma Donovan
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, kindle, blog-tour
OK so I umm-ed and errr-ed about signing up for this as fantasy is not usually something I go for but I decided that I needed to stretch my reading brain and I am REALLY glad I did! From the moment we meet jess, I was on her side – her sassiness in the face of what she is dealing with is admirable and her sense of humour is amazing too. But Jess is not the only character that Bentley has written perfectly! Her new friend Lisa sounds like me when I was younger so I of course loved her immediately ...more
Jessica Bronder
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jess Morgan has a rough life. Her twin sister died which lead to her parents breaking up and her mother, April never really getting over it. April become an alcoholic and has left Jess to basically fend for herself. But Jess learns that there is more to her world than she knew.

Caleb Farmer works for his father’s failing hardware story yet dreams of being an art student. His father destroys Caleb’s art book with leads Caleb to meeting Ivy Stark, a woman that promised her future for fairy inspirat
G.B. Gahagan
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got We Other at YALC convention London, England. How could you not be tempted to buy this Title? Great title, great cover. Started reading in one of the lectures! then at Hotel. Still jet lagged from Wednesday but couldn't stop reading this. Missed breakfast and half of today's time @ half the signing sessions @ Olympia Comic n Film fest. Went straight to YALC but no Sue Bentley to talk to. Wanted to tell her how great that book is. Highly recommend We Other, a good break from some of the trashy ...more
Gillian
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fey tale

What a cracking read. It was like Charles de Lint met Spiderwick Chronicles. Loved the overlap of worlds, fey creatures and the ordinary. I was drawn into the story as it wove it’s magic web around me. The strength of the main character, Jess, and her journey was utterly entrancing. For lovers of a great adult fairy tale, this is absolutely a must read.
Betsy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Other

This book really held my my interest. I have read similar books but I liked how the author used the different characters point of view to tell the whole story. I recommend this book if you like stories about the fey and a girl coming into her own.
Melissa Williams
Entrancing!

I loved the intricate weaving of the faery and mundane worlds, the depth of the characters, and the honest clarity of the emotions portrayed. I will very much be looking forward to a continuation of this story!
Freda Warrington
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely magical. Compelling story and gorgeous writing - I cannot wait for the sequel!
Karen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jess Morgan, a young girl who doesn't know who she really is yet. She's had a rough life growing up and living with her mother, an alcoholic. She doesn't fit in at school and she really doesn't care to. Jess finds out that her life is not what she thought it was. She keeps to herself and does what she wants most of the time. Will she ever find her way in life?

Caleb Farmer, a young man who would love to spend his days drawing instead of working at his fathers hardware store. The store isn't as p
Erica Mae Campos
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at my blog for a tour: https://bookishpuffcorn.wordpress.com...

We Other by Sue Bentley is a fantasy read about faeries and courts. I actually love fairies like in real life, lol. I’m almost 20 yet I really adore Tinkerbell and the whole gang of Disney Fairies!

So the book is about Jess, a teenager with an alcoholic mom. Little did she know she isn’t an ordinary girl and isn’t aware of her real self. I felt that the Jess grew up throughout the story. At first she seemed li
Julie Embleton
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jess Morgan has always felt different. Yes, she has a troubled home life and has pretty much raised herself while coping with her mother’s alcoholism and violent boyfriend, but strange things are happening, none of which she can explain. When events lead Jess into the care of a local homeless man, she soon learns just how different she is. As the truth unfurls further, a new world opens, her family’s past is exposed and a future she’s not willing to be part of beckons.

We Other is a deliciously
chapterchimera
Oct 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Julie Gustafson-Monk
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
What do you get when you combine a fairy tale with fantasy? You get a pretty amazing book called We Other. When I first started reading this book, I wasn't sure it was my cup of tea. That didn't stop me from finishing it. In fact, I became completely engrossed in We Other. So much, that I didn't want it to end.

There isn't much that can be said about We Other that won't give anything away. Fairies??? YES, PLEASE..... Not the nice ones either. Great Characters? Yes, Bentley nailed this part perfe
Jasmine
We Other is a strange story. Not a bad strange, just...strange. It was definitely not what I expected it to be, but that's honestly a good thing.

The story seems to be pretty normal at first, showcasing our main character, Jess, in a not so pretty light. She's poor, practically homeless, and her mother is a useless alcoholic with an abusive boyfriend. But she does seem to have a couple of lights in her life. One of them is the homeless man she visits on occasion, and the other is a girl she goes
Elli (Kindig Blog)
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I must admit upon reading We Other, I came away with mixed reactions. Firstly the positives; this story is Young Adult with plenty of bite. As Sue Bentley is usually an author for a lower age group there was a bit of a worry that this would just have teenage protagonists and that would be it. However, the story deals with themes of poverty, addiction and homelessness as well and there’s some violent scenes as well. The romance side line is also nicely done and not too over the top.

The human char
Georgia
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the characters, who are all developed really well, and though it's a lengthy read it's very well paced. I thought the chapters are the perfect length (I didn't get bored once!).
I'm glad it wasn't romance heavy, and I loved the friendship between Jess and Lisa. The world building was great and I look forward to the sequel. I'd definitely recommend this book to others.
Fact or Fiction? 2 4 Oct 02, 2017 09:00AM

• Brother Jacob
  • The Italian Girl
  • Poems to Night
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches (Yuasa)
  • The Sea Gate
  • A Bullet in the Ballet (Inspector Quill, #1)
  • Kololo Hill
  • Spin (Captain Chase #2)
  • Lonesome Traveler
  • Other Voices, Other Rooms
  • Wolf of Wessex
  • مانديل بائع الكتب القديمة
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Perfect Life
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
  • A Lost Lady
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • The Hard Way: Adapt, Survive and Win
Sue was born in Northampton where she still lives. For many years she worked for Northamptonshire libraries and remains a passionate supporter of Public Libraries. Sue loves everything about books, the feel of them, their smell. the way they look. And has a habit of matching a bookmark to the cover of each book she's reading. The process of reading, the feel of the book, carrying it around in her ...more