Start by marking “Rebel with a Cupcake” as Want to Read:
Rebel with a Cupcake

Rebel with a Cupcake

Jesobel Jones is bold and brash, the daughter of a hand model and a washed-up rock star. Jess sees no need to apologize for her rambling house, her imperfect family, her single status … or her weight. Jess is who she is. She makes her own cupcakes and she eats them, too. No regrets.

That is, until Own Clothes Day rolls around at school. Jess and her friends dedicate the req
Hardcover
Published April 3rd 2018 by KCP Loft (first published March 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Rebel with a Cupcake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel with a Cupcake

Start your review of Rebel with a Cupcake
Cristina Monica
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, body-image
3.5 stars. This is not a book you read for its storyline; it’s a book you read for the relationship dynamics between characters, the heroine herself, and the themes explored.

I, for one, could not get enough of Jesobel’s clever and sassy remarks. You know what would have been great? If this were a long series with journal entries from Jesobel about everything and anything.

Because when this girl discusses a topic, she does it well. So much that I ended up being disappointed some subjects—like col
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This could potentially be my least favourite read of 2020. If not, it will certainly be a contender.

From the beginning, I had my doubts with this story. The novel started off as if the reader knew of these characters with little to no introduction. It felt as if I was in the midst of a story where I should've known the background. This is not the case as this is a standalone novel, not a series.

Then from there, my dislike of the novel continued to grow.

I understand the intention of this story
Kathryn
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-realistic-fic, ya
Rebel with a Cupcake by Anna Mainwaring is a difficult book to review. It’s the kinda story that’s irritating to me as an adult, but may work for the target age group. The fact that Rebel with a Cupcake features a body positivity message makes it even more challenging to render a verdict. Body positivity is so important, especially for teenagers, and we need more books that celebrate it. So is this book worth a read? For tweens and teens, probably. Adults? Nope.

Rebel with a Cupcake features a
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Rebel with a Cupcake is an uplifting story about a girl’s struggle with body image. The message is empowering, and the main character is so snarky. The story kept my attention, but I would have also liked to see more action plot-wise.

Full review on The Candid Cover
Helen Power
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Rebel with a Cupcake is a witty romantic comedy about Jesobel Jones, a teenager who’s overweight, but she’s actually comfortable in her own skin. This in itself is very refreshing. The moral of the story isn’t that girls—or women—should strive to have that perfect bikini-ready body. The point is that you should do what you love, and Jess is never happier than she is when she’s in the kitchen, whipping up a good meal—or a batch of cupcakes!--for her family.

But of course Jess isn’t going to have
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jess was normally very confident, but after a run-in with the school mean girl and a crush leaving her feeling inadequate, she attempts to change her physical appearance. This journey with Jess was chuck full of humor and some astute observations, which filled me with glee.

•Pro: Jess was so awesome! Her observations and commentary were pretty hilarious. She was snarky and sassy, but also sweet and thoughtful. There was also something about her, that reminded me of Georgia Nicholson, who is one o
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
If the fact that I was glad to finish this young adult novel gives you any clues, I was eager to finish Rebel With a Cupcake and move on to something more interesting. The premise of this book seemed promising but the story line quickly gave way to standard teen fare and stereotypes. Think "Mean Girls" and you've got the gist.
About a third of the way through I simply stopped caring about the characters. Girl develops love interest. Will love interest reciprocate? Should she change her appearance
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book and chose to review it. This in no way impacts my opinion.

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Full review to come on Books and Ladders!
Ally (book__ventures)
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging or The Duff, then you will love Rebel with a Cupcake by Anna Mainwaring.

Mainwaring delivers with a character so lovable that you will be rooting for her the entire time. Jesobel Jones is the F-word (fat). But the thing is, is that she's not ashamed or discouraged. She embraces herself. Jesobel starts to experience the horrible opinions people have towards those who are overweight and loses her confidence along the way. She falls in love with
Kerrington Hood
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs
1.75/5
As a plus sized girl I was happy to read from a fat MC POV, but was let down.
Body insecurities, at any size, is valid and real. But this was sold to me as a fat MC, yet within the first chapter our main character Jess is talking g about wearing a Hollister shirt. Hollister only carries straight sizes. So I’m already thrown off, because I know the struggle of wanting to go shopping with friends, and NOT being able to go into Hollister.
**The author made a Twitter thread explaining why she d
Amy
Full review to come...

When I got an email to join the blog tour for Rebel With A Cupcake, I was really excited as I enjoyed Tulip Taylor and really wanted to read her follow-up release in the UK although this book has been published in other territories before. After reading what Rebel With A Cupcake was about, this was even more obvious as a fat person myself I like to read books with the main character who are also this way. While I did enjoy Rebel With A Cupcake, I did have some problems with
Cathleen
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
3.5 stars. British teens, sassy dialogue, and friends who love enough to call each other on their stuff -- this is a recipe for an entertaining read.

Endearing Jesobel presents as a young woman who knows who she is and what she has to offer, and it's only when faced with a new crush that her self-assurance begins to erode. The idea that even a self-aware teen isn't immune to doubt is an important one, as is the acknowledgment of insecurity in her most attractive classmates. The theme of body pos
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for the review copy. It was a quick fun read, even though the plot was predictable,the characters were fun. Jess was sassy who is comfortable in her own skin. She is overweight but doesn't believe in giving up food for anything. When someone calls her fat, and her long time crush starts to notice her, Jess is on the mission to lose weight.

Will Jess lose weight?
Will she get the boy of her dreams?
Read to find out

Recommended for romance readers
Chelley Toy
This review was originally posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

I really enjoyed this book! This book made me laugh, say uh oh a lot and I think Anna Mainwaring took snippets of my own school life....not really I know, but I related to Jesobel so much!

The Lives and Loves of Jesobel Jones is told from the point of view of Jesobel or Jess as her friends call her and it all begins on Own Clothes Day at school. Do you remember those days?! Getting ready along with her friends, Hannah the bookworm and
Fizah(Books tales by me)
It is a book which doesn’t have a proper story it revolves around the different event of Jesobel’s life. It all starts with a weird day in school when Jess got bullied by some girls in school for her body shape and end up becoming a star of a viral video on youtube.

Her family is a bunch of weirdos, a dad who is in a band, a mother who was ex-model now fitness freak, Gran who herself imprisoned in the attic of the house and living on gin instead of food(sounds weird right?), Cat her elder sister
Marie
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books is witty and funny. If you want to feel you're not alone in the turmoil of teenage life, or if you want to remember how it felt to be a teenager, the fears, the hopes, the pangs, then this book is for you.
You will laugh at Jes's comments and beliefs, than think a second later, "oh but that's exactly how I'd have reacted in that situation."
Anna Mainwaring has captured with great sharpness and sensitivity what it feels to be a teenage girl in Britian nowadays.
A must read. Once you dive
Alisha Sevigny
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a super cute book with a fresh and funny voice that I would definitely recommend to all YA fans!
Little red reading books
French review bellow:
You probably know it by now, but, lately I've been more than sick with the characters, always the same, of the books I read. So when I saw this book, I was really glod: a fat girl that loves her body? Perfect. Absolutely the kinf of reads I wanted to have. Well, maybe the gorgeous cover had a role to play in my choice! Except some things, I really enjoyed this book!

Jesobel was such a fierce character! Some of her reactions annoyed me at the begining but then I realised som
Jessica
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
All my reivews can be found at http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**This review will have minor spoilers without giving too many in depth details.**

I liked Jesobel (Jess), she is spunky and embraces herself for who she is…then she has a wardrobe malfunction at school. It is like Mean Girls and The Duff but worse. You see how catty teen girls are to teach other now. Jess is far from perfect which makes her seem all the more real. I liked how she enjoys cooking AND eating. I liked the Jess
Eve beinguniquebooks
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Jess gets called fat by the school mean girl, Zara on Own Clothes Day after a freak clothing ripping accident, she starts to doubt herself and her attitude towards her life choices such as her cupcake making and eating habit for one.

Hannah and Izzie her beat friends assure her it's not all bad as she's gained the attention of her secret crush, Matt and been asked by him to his party! But is he the boy of her dreams after all?

Her older sister Cat has suffered with an eating disorder it's hin
Lindsay
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Jess’s life turns for the worst after having her leggings split open at school, being bullied by the mean girls and fighting back, being suspended, and then gracefully walking out of school despite knowing how much trouble she is in. She refers to herself as fat and normally doesn’t care about her size or her love for cooking and eating. Despite having a model mother and razor thin, popular sister, she continues with life in bliss until her crush asks her to a party. She knows she’s out of his l ...more
Davianna
Apr 17, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
As a fat girl I personally related a lot to Jesobel’s struggles. This book was super hilarious and heartwarming all at the same time.

Jesobel struggled a bit in the middle when she tries to lose weight but later on as she learns from her mistakes she became more comfortable just being herself and I just loved the book so much more for that.

My favorite characters were definitely Jesobel and her Grandma, they had such a weird relationship yet you could see that they cared about each other a lot.

Jes
Tess (Book_Voyage)
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I might be fat but I can change that if I want. But you, you will always be a bitch."
SLAY GIRL SLAY!
Jess Jones is not your average fat girl. Oh no siree. She is a strong independent boss and I love her. That chick can bake and cook too! Who doesn't love food? Well, except for Jesobel's mom and older sister... I felt so sad when Jess lost her confidence due to one nasty mean girl. But as a fellow fat girl, I completely understand what that's like. It just shows that she's human. Being human, me
Lisa Mandina
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, for the most part, I was somewhat disappointed with this one. I mean usually I really like books where the main character has weight issues to deal with. While there were parts where her feelings and thoughts were identical to the ones I've had at times, there were other parts that I just didn't really care for. I had a lot of trouble getting into it at first. It is a British character, so there was some slang in it that I didn't get at first. I think my middle America students mi ...more
Teresa
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jesobel Jones is happy with her life, with her friends and in her skin. When a clip of her goes viral (against a mean girl in her school) Jes begins to wonder if maybe she should start watching what she eats. Throw in a boy that Jes has been crushing on forever and pretty soon Jesobel will be caught up in the drama of how a woman should/shouldn't look.
Anna Mainwaring has done a great job of dissecting the internal and external issue women debate several times a day with how their bodies look (I
Sophie Toovey
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, rom-com
I loved this joyous fabulous read and it was the perfect thing to lift my spirits. I laughed out loud at the main character Jess's observations which were so spot-on, and her voice just lifted off the page. Jess goes on a journey where she feels she has to lose weight, but gets to a place where she realises what really matters. This is very body-positive and I think really successfully exposes where we all have warped ways of thinking, like thinness equals happiness.
Tulip Taylor is also a great
Laina SpareTime
Apr 02, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
I can't read anymore of this, honestly. I live-tweeted a lot of it as I read.

I'm not against books with fat main characters who have body issues or insecurities. What I am against is books that tells them that they're RIGHT to hate their bodies, and this book does that. It's not making me feel represented. It's just making me feel bad.
gem
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Rtc
Lots of fun!
Patty
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebel with a cupcake by Anna Mainwaring is the story of Jesobel Jones an overweight teenager, who has never been concerned with her weight, until she becomes interested in a boy. I found this book to be OK. I did not love it, but I like the idea of positive body images.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Caitlin
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rebel with a Cupcake is the story of high schooler Jesobel Jones. Jesobel, or Jess, as her friends call her, begins her story on Own Clothes Day at School—the exciting, or dreaded day, depending on who you are. She gets ready with her friends, experimenting in her own style, but soon starts to consider her public image vs. her self-image and whether or not her love for cooking, baking, and all things food is affecting her social status. On this infamous day in school, Jess starts out with a mish ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Asking For a Friend
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Hideous Beauty
  • Wonderland
  • Eight Pieces of Silva
  • The Sky is Mine
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Rules