Start by marking “The Gluten-Free Gourmet: Living Well Without Wheat” as Want to Read:
The Gluten-Free Gourmet: Living Well Without Wheat

The Gluten-Free Gourmet: Living Well Without Wheat

An updated, beautifully designed edition of the essential resource for people who cannot tolerate wheat or gluten.

With her four cookbooks, Bette Hagman has brought tasty food Whack into the lives of over one million people who are intolerant of the gluten in wheat, oats, barley, or rye, or who are allergic to wheat. The premier creator of delicious gluten-free fare, Hagman
Paperback, Revised Edition, 352 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by St. Martins Press-3PL (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Gluten-Free Gourmet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gluten-Free Gourmet

Tara DeMaderios
Feb 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-food
I learned a lot about the science behind gluten free baking and ingredients used in gluten free cooking, but I don't really like any of the recipes. I sometimes look at them and then make up my own variation of what she has. I tend to use whole foods, and I see a lot of canned goods, and substitutes in her recipes, which is not the way I like to cook. Also, I HATE using bean flours in baked sweets. It tastes AWFUL. I'm sorry, but it's just not necessary. I use Isa Chandra Moskowitz's all purpose ...more
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great information! I loved the details about using different flours for different things. She had a lot of good travel insight as well. I wish she had spent more time on cross-contamination issues, but there's only so much you can cover in a recipe book, and celiac disease has so many facets. What I really enjoyed was the fact that this focused directly on people with celiac, and didn't make a lot of other crazy substitutions for people with other allergies (except lactose sensitivity, which goe ...more
Rebecca
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Not too sure I would call this gourmet cooking. It has many many baking recipes, which is what attracts me to the book. Her "other recipes" are really very pedestrian. How is chicken noodle casserole - which calls for water chestnuts and cream cheese - in any way something that sounds good let alone "gourmet"? At any rate I'm looking forward to trying out some of the cookie and quick bread recipes.
Joan
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid cookbook for gluten free adaptations of typical American dishes. Nothing here has wowed me, but none have let me down, either. Great if I'm in a hurry because the recipes are generally simple, straight-forward and have a reasonable ingredient list. No need here to rush out to the store for exotic ingredients like coconut flour or rice groats when you are just trying to get dinner on the table.
Sara
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, favorites, food
I loved this cookbook. It is fully of yummy recipes that I can't wait to try. I've already tried the Pear Torte for Christmas Eve dessert which was phenomenal. Even my skeptical non-gluten free family members loved it and are already asking for more. I can't recommend a better cookbook for those faced with the challenges of a gluten free diet.

As it is a library loaner I've photocopied some recipes for now but I fully intend on buying a copy ASAP.
Alexei
Good explanations of different flour uses. Simple recipes based on two flour mixes. I like that she tries to keep things simple - I am looking for a middle ground between buying expensive GF flour mix and using 6 different flours in every recipe. I cannot eat gluten, corn, sorghum or beans but can use most recipes from this book.
Hilary
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing wheat-free baked goods
Recommended to Hilary by: my pediatric dietician
Great recipes, although I often tweak them. I didn't like the flavor of the four bean flour she raves so much about. It tastes like beans! But I use the rice/tapioca/potato mixture all the time. The tapioca bread is the best.
Tami
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Bette Hagman books are the best of several gluten free books I've tried. Everything has turned out great and the whole family will eat the foods...sometimes even better than wheat based! Love her flour mixes that I can make in bulk.
LemontreeLime
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some excellent recipes for the wheatless wanderers, including angel food cake!!! gasp!
Connie
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Indispensable, need to buy this book.
Blair Lynn
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my gluten free bible! Recipes are yummy and easy to follow. A must. Have for starting the gluten free diet.
Meredith Neal
Feb 21, 2009
SpatialH
Mar 26, 2009
Christa
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2008