Start by marking “Think of England (Think of England, #1)” as Want to Read:
Think of England (Think of England, #1)

Think of England

(Think of England #1)

Lie back and think of England…

England, 1904. Two years ago, Captain Archie Curtis lost his friends, fingers, and future to a terrible military accident. Alone, purposeless and angry, Curtis is determined to discover if he and his comrades were the victims of fate, or of sabotage.

Curtis’s search takes him to an isolated, ultra-modern country house, where he meets and instan
Published March 28th 2017 by KJC Books (first published July 1st 2014)

Julio Genao
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
she had me at dark-eyed queer with intentions.

description

you got yer gigantic creepy house on gigantic creepy grounds.

you got yer addison-dewitt-type littry homo and a wounded vet in the closet.

you got yer murrrrrrrder! and blackmail! and people doing appalling things with the help behind closed doors!

nits: too short. over too soon. slightly insubstantial. bcuz i'm a greedy fuck who loves all of kj charles' words except the end.

GET THEE TO A BOOKERY AND PURCHASE YE SOME INGLEHOMOKAPERBLITZENSPRITZ!*

_______
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Gorgeously, perfectly done. I adored it... even if the book really isn't my genre.

K.J. Charles is changing the face of M/M, I'm telling you. She keeps coming up with this brilliant, well written stuff that elevates the whole genre. Think of England is another exceptional book and I loved it almost as much as her The Magpie Lord series.

Is it a GFY? No, I wouldn't say so. This book is sort of like a coming of age or sexual awakening, only the person waking up is way past adolescence. Curtis was
Lola
‘‘Jesus!’’ he yelped.
‘‘I fear not,’’ said a silky voice, and Curtis realized that he had collided with da Silva. ‘‘Both Jewish, of course, but the resemblance ends there.’’

3.5 stars. What really happened is that I was completely enthralled for a good part of the story, (around 50%), before it started to feel relatively monotonous and my interest slowly decreasing. It didn’t happen soon, for sure, but, by the last chapters, I just wanted to get to the ending and, naturally, the HEA. I needed
K.J. Charles
Feb 17, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I love Edwardian pulp, but...

I do love it. I love Golden Age pre-WWI Britain, with well-dressed gentlemen and dastardly foreigners, stiff upper lips and country-house parties, derring-do and plots and amateur spies. John Buchan, Edgar Wallace, E Phillips Oppenheim, and the other wonderful writers of a time when to be a straight white English gentleman was to be at the pinnacle of human civilisation.

Obviously, if you weren't white, or upper class, or Christian, or male, or straight, it wasn't q
Susan
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

Note to self: do not doubt KJ Charles.

*shamefaced*

I love KJ Charles' books. Her Charm of the Magpie series, the Simon Feximal shorts, and even Non-Stop till Tokyo...all rocked my world. But, I was interested in and ready for what I thought would be a character-driven, slow-paced, VERY British, gentle story. And this is how I started Think of England.

As I delved in, I wasn't immediately feeling the love. It was ok, I guess. But I was noticing things that were niggling on my brain.

The cha
Nick Pageant
Five Very Proper English Stars! Thanks to my very best girl, Mishy, for a great buddy read.

Read this book. Take my word for it and read this wonderfully fun romp in the English countryside, you will not regret it.

The plot concerns Curtis,

description

a wounded military man, investigating some evil-doings at a country estate. Curtis is a very proper Englishman... until he meets Daniel, a "poet" who turns out to be a little bit more.

description

Daniel is sex on legs. Curtis tries to resist his charms

but danger, as it al
Ingie
Written July 20, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - So VERY good, Wow, hopefully a new series to crave.

A new novel by a favorite historical M/M author. It can not but be a grand reading experience.

I don't have enough words. I'm on vacation and traveling a lot this summer and there's just no time for thoughtful lengthy reviews right now. However, it must be said; This was so amazingly good. Just read and ENJOY.

***********************************************

...England 1904

A bunch of people are guest in an isolated
Sofia

I know there was hardly a squeek from me whilst I read this, only one update, I did not browse through my GR feed, I just sat and read with a happy smile on my face.

Flowing fun read with a cast of good characters not only the main ones. Ms Charles had fun with people and plot and then I had fun reading this. The story reminded me of Christie's and Heyer's crime stories, same time frame, same type of setting. I've spent many a lazy Saturday afternoon curled up reading their stories or wa
Kat
4.5 Bloody hell, I blame KJ Charles for upping my average rating. Where will this madness end?
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

KJ Charles, I bow down!

Such stellar writing: 5++ stars for that alone! Nary a single typo in the entire book.

This was historical fiction at its best: one stoic ex-military man and one femme Jewish poet, a week in the countryside at a not-everything-is-as-it-seems houseparty, mysteries, espionage, murder, and a couple very hot and heavy blowjobs.

This is not a GFY, but rather a sexual awakening of a deprived and repressed man at a time (1904, England) when getting caught in a same-sex
Lilia Ford
Another winner. Charles nails the Christie-esque "mystery/house party" set up, though this is an oddly dark story about some truly ugly people. I loved both leads--I want to say especially Daniel, who felt both recognizable and also really original, but I thought Archie was wonderful too. To an unusual degree, each man illuminates the other on a fundamental level. They are very different but neither is as fully realized, romantically or thematically, without the other.

You see this in Archie's v
Simone
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, series
***4.5 Stars***

Looooooved! ❤

Em
K.J Charles has become one of my favourite authors over the last year or so, she never lets me down. As with all of her books I was drawn into the story from the word go and read it right through. They're exciting, what can I say!

I really like the whole 'opposites attract' theme and Captain Archie Curtis and Daniel da Silva were as far apart as two people could be. I fell in love with Curtis right from the start, he's a very determined and strong-willed man who never backs down from a challenge
Jordan Hawk
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!

I'm a sucker for opposites-attract types of stories, and right from the first I felt the heat between the stolid English soldier not given to introspection and the gorgeous, decadent poet. I could barely put the book down, I was so eager to find out how they would overcome their outer differences of class, ethnicity, and background and discover how perfect they were for each other.

Of course, this being a KJ Charles story, there's plenty going on besides the romance. Intrigue and action
Barbara

BR - Monday - July 7

Bloody well written, fantastic and thrilling, the charming decade, the setting, the plot, the Mcs! I loved both of these leading men, they couldn't be more different, but Im especially fond of the vicious smart-mouthed, and enigmatic Daniel Da Silva, not only because is Portuguese but also I love is quick-minded sarcastic humour.

A freaking great historical story of deception, betrayal, and dirty secrets, this book has all I love, a bit of mystery, a bit of angst, a bit of in
Alexis Hall
In short: I love this.

In long: I wrote about how much I loved it over The Bookpushers for Queer Romance Month.

Queer or straight or what-you-will, if your romantic feelings are sexualised, I think a lot of people go through a stage of life best articulated as “omg, now I can have sex”. For me, it hit around lateish adolescence and continued throughout university. It took longer, a lot longer, for me to reach “omg, now I can have love.” And, obviously, the way we engage with intersections of ident
Moony Eliver
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: everybody and their mothers
This is one of those books that's been on my shelves since right around the time I fell hook, line, and kindle for M/M.

"I've ruined you. I'm sorry. It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Think of England showcased several things that this author does extremely well — 1) opposites attract, 2) strong plot outside of the romance, and 3) wit for miles. I usually highlight lines that make me laugh but with hers I just have to stop, because when everything's highlighted, nothing is.

Archie and Daniel
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Just to give you fair warning, you’re going to often see the word “love” or some variation thereof as you merrily prance through this review. Don’t say I didn’t give thee advanced notice.

I love Curtis and da Silva.

I love the mystery.

I love the unexpected (on their parts, anyway) collisions between these two men.

I love the dialogue.

Some of my favorite ingredients to a great story have I just listed here. Bonus: it’s set in 1904 England, which doesn’t come around these here parts very often. Hist
Kaje Harper
I loved both the main characters in this historical tale of spies and betrayal, manners and appearances. Captain Archie Curtis was injured when a shipment of defective weapons blew up in the hands of himself and his men. When a hint is made that perhaps the event was sabotage and not an accident, Curtis decides to investigate. The possible culprit is the owner of a big remote country home, and Curtis gets himself invited to join a house-party there. But other than arriving on site, this honest, ...more
Alona
No book... NO! Don't end just yet...
I really want more! I do hope to read more of Archie and Daniel in the future.

5+++ stars!!!

What I loved about the book was... well... everything really!
The writing was so beautiful, the setting, at a remote "castel" on the English countryside, the mystery, that was not silly, like in so many other romance novels, but I most definitely loved the two MC's the most, with a soft spot for the amazing Daniel da Silva *long long and deep sigh*!

Here, let me be kind an
Heather C
Bloody Brilliant!  KJ Charles is brilliant again, and I swear I will forever read anything she ever writes.  The woman knows how to write a romance with the perfect mix of mystery and awe.  It amazes me how brilliant she is at bringing two totally opposite characters together, and making their attraction to each other truly believable, even when their initial reactions are extreme dislike and distrust…and maybe even a little bit of disgust.

On one hand, you have Captain Archibald Curtis: a wealt
Ami
Captain Archie Curtis was invited to a country house by Sir Hubert Armstrong where he instantly clashed with fellow guest, Daniel da Silva. But Curtis came with a mission, he was planning to find out whether Sir Hubert had a thing to do with faulty guns and the accident that himself was involved. That was Curtis's goal. But what was da Silva was up to?

When I was younger, Agatha Christie's books were my main (and constant) companion. I loved her books, her small-town mystery, or simply when a nu
Mel
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-historical
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

So, um… wow! I’m a bit lost for words, because… Can you imagine? I nearly missed this wonderful story. *shakes head at self*

From the very beginning Curtis and da Silva had me smile. Let’s just say, insta-love this is not ;-) I won’t give much away, but it was just so lovely how annoyance turned into desire, turned into feelings.

I felt that their scenes had a lot of depths. KJC gives us such well developed and lovable characters and together they are just awwww. I was glued to
Natasha
Fantastic! Probably 4.25 stars for me.

Also probably spoilers in this review, so.

This was a funner, lighter read than I expected. My last Charles book had quite a bit of weirdo shit going down, and this one, less so, which I find refreshing.

I love Curtis. I love Daniel. But shit, let's be real here, Pat is really sweet one, right? She's reminds me a great deal of Christine from Widdershins, who I think might be one of my favorite female characters in any m/m book I've ever read (Okay, more likel
Sunny
That was fantabulous!!!

This story had it all: heat, intrigue, humor. It was gripping, intense, exciting and deliciously, sweetly romantic.

*Throws all the best adjectives at story*

The setting, the characters, the plot were all well written, but it was done so sneakily. I thought it was a good, but not fantastic, story at first, but soon after, I was clutching my reader, flying through the pages, and snapping at anyone who interrupted me. Fantastic? Better than fantastic. This story was amazing.
Hollis
"That was what you were angry about? Being edged out of the action? I gathered that your pride was at stake--"
"I'm half-crippled. I don't need reminding of that. I don't find it easy to live with, and I don't like reminders that I'm less than I was."
"Well, God knows what you used to be, then, because you're built like a brick shithouse and hung like a horse."

When I first discovered Charles, I binged her like whoa. Like, I literally read everything possible. But for some reason I never wanted to
Anyta Sunday
Loved. Loved so hard. Damn hard.

I have been thinking of this book for days after finishing . . . I really, really loved da Silva and the progression of the relationship was wonderful, and, gah, this just hit my good spots!

For me this was even better than the Magpie Lord, which I also enjoyed.

One of my top reads of the year, I think. :)
Marte - Thunderella

**** 4,5 jolly good stars *****

------------------------
"Then lie back and think of England."
~Da Silva~
------------------------

(btw, the best line ever)

Downton Abbey meets Agatha Christie meets MM Romance pluss a Viking!

------------------------
"Oh, God, Archie. My Viking. You do no know how you have plundered me."
------------------------

Infused with witty and posh British dialogue and English men polite to the end of their fingertips, in every situation.
It was a good old British mystery-crime i

Macky
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure and utter delight!

Sheer brilliance.

Spiffingly good...Hey what!!!!

da Silva & Curtis... Awesomely top hole! **terribly dreamy. Sigh**

Nice bit of " how's your father?" Wink, wink.

Cad's galore!

THE BUTLER DID IT!!!! (No he didn't really...just joshing you...like one does! *snort*)

Best thing since sliced bread.

Totally the Bees Knees.

Bravo KJ Charles!

Encore!!!!.... ( clapping wildly)

I say old chaps.....don't be Silly Billy's....go buy and have a bloody good read!
Bev
***Audio Review. It's a well-known fact that I adore this story; it's a toss up between this, Jackdaw complete with new cover and the The Magpie Lord series [also with new cover] as to which one is my fave KJ. While I'm waiting for that particular series to come out on audio [hopefully with a suitably worthy narrator...say Nicholas Boulton, pretty PRETTY please?], thought I'd listen to this one [as if that's a chore 😉] with new to me narrator Tom Carter. Yes, I enjoyed it but there were several ...more
The Backlot Gay B...: KJ Charles, "Think of England" 7 69 Nov 28, 2015 08:35AM
Did you recognize the source of the title? 4 73 Jun 20, 2015 03:22PM
Jolly good another Buddy Read ** Monday - July 7 ! 23 29 Jul 10, 2014 03:50AM

• Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Another Place in Time
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • A Private Gentleman
  • The Gentleman and the Rogue
  • Seven Summer Nights
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • Unhinge the Universe
  • Hellion
  • Downtime
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

Think of England (2 books)
  • Proper English
“But— Why didn’t you say?”

“Secret agent. Secret.”
19 likes
“Jesus!” he yelped.
“I fear not,” said a silky voice, and Curtis realised that he had collided with da Silva. “Both Jewish, of course, but the resemblance ends there.”
11 likes