Start by marking “A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)

A Case of Possession

(A Charm of Magpies #2)

Magic in the blood. Danger in the streets.

Lord Crane has never had a lover quite as elusive as Stephen Day. He knows Stephen’s job as justiciar requires secrecy, but the magician is doing his disappearing act more than seems reasonable—especially since Crane will soon return to his home in China. When a blackmailer threatens to expose their illicit relationship, there's on
Published March 28th 2017 by KJC Books (first published January 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Possession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Possession

K.J. Charles
Jul 25, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
After I finished writing The Magpie Lord, I wanted to find out what Stephen and Crane would do next. All very well for these two guys to strike up a romance in an isolated decaying mansion full of magic, magpies and maniacs, but what happens when they take it back to the oppressive environment of Victorian London - where Crane has a business to run, and Stephen has to enforce the law on other magicians, while dodging it for himself?

It was obvious that this story needed to centre around one of St
Em Lost In Books
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
better than it's predecessor. better plot, and more magic.
Susan
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

Hey The Magpie Lord fans…this is book 2. But…it feels…different. And I mean that in a way that screams…it’s even better!

A Case of Possession, in my opinion, could even possibly be read as a standalone. Very little of book 1 sets anything up for book 2 other than the introduction of our fantastic characters of Crane, Stephen, and Merrick. And those characters are SO GREAT in book 2…along with some more fun and freaky and fantastic side characters added to the mix. (Although, let’s get r
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
The Magpie Lord: ★★★★

Buddy read with the MacHalo group.

I didn't like this one as much as the first, but it was enjoyable. Another mystery to solve involving giant magicked rats! I could have done without the relationship drama between Stephen and Crane. Meh. I guess it's better to get it out of the way early on, though.

Crane is magnificent and hilarious. I don't like Stephen as much. The mystery was underwhelming, but it's not a bad book at all. I'll get around to the next one soon.

Buddy read wi
Julio Genao
More of a Sophomore Slouch, really.

To me this felt a bit rushed and insubstantial; the plotting seemed a gauzy thing easily swept aside at the end.

Not enough conflict, or humor, or tension. Way too much conversation, as fun as that can be to read when penned by a master.

Still.

Charles is exceptional. Even her second-tier work is better than most people's first-.

Lesser, then—but still quite Good.
Simone
***4.5 Stars***

I ❤ these guys so much!!!

I'll make it short:

~ A gone-off-the-rails dead shaman - yep, no typo, he's dead, although his demented ghost doesn't want to accept it.

~ A man seeking for revenge at the weirdest of places or with the weirdest of co-conspirators, to be precise.

~ A confession of feelings that was long overdue.

~ And... *eww* rats. Lots of them. And I'm not talking about this kind of cute little bugger here:
Bildergebnis für cute rat

~ Gawd, and the humor...
"Since when did you talk to the law
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
After reading book 1 in this series and rating it 3.75 stars bloody shrimping stars (I promise I was neither high nor drunk at the time. I think. Maybe), I was expecting this instalment to make me feel more or less like this:

And also a little bit like this:

Don't ask.

BUT. As much as I positively lurve the idea of evil, magical rats (they'd make great a great addition to my murderous zoo, I reckon), relationship drama + too much blah blah blah + Stephen is boring as fish + disastrous lack of creat
Ingie
Written January 29, 2014

4.4 Stars - hot, mysterious and well done in an historic London - another winner with Magpie power

At last - the second part is here... and it was just as good as the first one, The Magpie Lord (4.5 stars), was.

These gentlemen are street-smart, English noble and a bit hefty and two very shameless, but adorable, sexy men. They always do a lot of interesting stuff (both indoor and outdoor...). In a tantalizing mini shorty Interlude with Tattoos (4.2 stars) we got a taste of
Ms. Smartarse
Exciting stuff over, daily life has now re-taken its course. Sure, the sex is still smokin' hawt, and our two heroes are very much enamored of one another... secretly. So they're holding a truckload of secrets from eachother, and they pine. Ooooh is there pining to be had! Which is not to say, that I wasn't breathlessly following each and every long-suffering sigh of said pining.

I don't want to stop seeing you

When it comes to reading M/M romance, for all my indulgence of guilty-pleasure, I vastly prefer contemporary settings
SheReadsALot
Magpie Gate: Season 2 Commencing in...

The Magpie Lord was most certainly one of the best buzz books of 2013. Could the latest addition in the A Charm of Magpies series, "A Case of Possession" continue the charm and repeat the buzz?

Hmm let me think about it...

“You look like the cat that swallowed the cream," Stephen said softly.

"That comes later.”

Hell yes!

Round two was just as good as book #1. Don't skip book #1. You really should read the series in order.

This series makes me want to shout f
Ami
When The Magpie Lord burst into my periphery back in September 2013, I immediately thought it was fresh and exciting. So of course the sequel became the case of high anticipation. Did it deliver? Hell, yeah! In some part it was even better although in other parts, I was a bit let down. It all depends on your expectations, I guess.

Okay, mystery wise – or the paranormal case that Stephen took and ended up involving Crane, that one ROCKED my socks! Seriously … it was a much better plot, involving e
Vivian
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And you thought the countryside was bad.

London manages to bring forth a plague of disturbing proportions--Rats. Let your imagination enlarge that unconscious fear and enjoy the story. Aside from the aforementioned icky bits there's Stephen's team to meet. Yay. Sassy group. Also, Crane and Stephen manage to move forward spectacularly well--much to my surprise. I guess I'm use to being tortured relentlessly with stupidness on MCs' parts in other series, but no, not here. Hip, hip HOORAY!

I am char
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who hasn't already read it so the 2 of you, I'm looking at you
Recommended to Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ by: Melf & many thanks to you once again!
AWESOME SAUCE, this series is.

description

I spent quite a lot of my time reading this book thinking about Crane and Stephen's relationship and how to describe it. But all I kept thinking about was that Police song...

I'll be wrapped around your finger

Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
Vanish in the air, you'll never find me
I will turn your face to alabaster
Then you'll find your servant is your master

You'll be wrapped around my finger

And I was trying to figure out how to translate those lyrics into, like,
Macky
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A never published, old newspaper draught found recently in the secret drawer of an old victorian writing bureau:

GIANT RATS ATTACKING THE CITY? MYSTERIOUS MAGPIES FLOCKING AT THE SCENE? RUMOURS OF MAGIC... SUSPICIONS UNCONFIRMED AS OF YET BUT CONSTABULARY ON ALERT!

This is Max 'Macky' McMackster reporting on recent animal attacks that as of late, have been ravaging London. Rumours that these attacks have been made by rats the size of dogs is rife and rat bites have been confirmed by the co
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
It couldn't be better! The funny thing is that I had decided I would never again read Historical Romance. Well, this isn't exactly HR, it is Historical Fiction, and entwined with MM notes, all of this makes this book a wonder thing to read.

In the first book, Crane and Stephen are lusting after each other. They can't get enough of each other. Their relationship is more physical.
This book is more about their feelings. What they feel for each other. What they think about their fragile relationship
Jordan Hawk
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book! While keeping all the excitement and charm of The Magpie Lord, A Case of Possession expands the world of Day and Crane. We meet the other members of Day's team, all of whom are colorful and fascinating on their own, as well as a number of Crane's friends from Shanghai.

The romance between Day and Crane remains sizzling. One of the things I particularly enjoyed was seeing a bit more of Crane's character, from his willingness to help a friend no matter what, to his
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Sexier than the original and just as witty, filled with dead shamans, giant rats, and revenge. I will never get tired of Lucien and Stephen. All hail the magpies!
Kat
Apologies for spamming your feeds with magpies, my friends...0_o

An entertaining blend of adventure, suspense, horror, romance and hotness. My only niggle being that this story felt rushed. The various components of the story all fought for attention, and I don't think the author took as much time as I considered necessary to flesh out all the bits satisfyingly.

A Case of Possession was therefore a pulpy fun packed joy-ride, the unfulfilled potential mainly regrettable when it came to discovering
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This series is my new obsession! This is what I wanted Widdershins to be! Historical romance with a paranormal twist, and done to perfection!

K.J. Charles,

description

Can't wait for the next in the series!
Kaje Harper
4.5 stars. This was a different book from the first, and I loved it for and in spite of those differences.

It's a more emotional book, with more heart. Crane and Stephen matter to each other now, not as two men in the first brilliant flash of mutual attraction, but with a bond that is deeper than they sometimes care to admit. The funny little foretaste in the free short, Interlude with Tattoos, has become a melding of talents and desires. They are still living apart, having separate but sometime
Richard Derus
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Real Rating: 4.5* of five

Not quite five...although it was set to be...because when the enemy was vanquished, there were still things to be done that weren't. The dead men, the story that inspired the hideous plague of rats were not tied together anywhere near well enough.

But the men are, as always, a delight, and the magpies in their various forms are outstandingly well used. There is nothing not to like in the character development department. There could be a lot more of this majgickq system u
Lilia Ford
It's even better than the first. There's more sex--and better. Snap! Our cast expands, adding several great and funny new characters. We get to see Stephen in Justiciar action with his bad-ass team of magical SWATs. Speaking of, the story features enough gory, revolting mayhem to satisfy a hard-core gamer. I'll put in a special word of praise for the dialogue, which is just so fucking smart I'm still coming down off the buzz it gave me. On second thought--screw the coming down--I think I'll just ...more
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Powerful bond*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Lucien Vaudrey, aka Lord Crane (37) and magician Stephen Day (29) are back, stronger and closer with new and more adventures. There's giant rats killing people, Stephen working too much, Crane worrying, a blood-and-sex bond, growing threats of exposure and a really big risk of losing everything. Can Crane and Stephen get through this whole and together?
Sunny
See me all flushed and catching my breath...

Crane gives me shivers. Delicious shivers. And that was just watching him deal with a blackmailer. Then, to see him with Stephen...there are no words.
"You. Get your mouth back on my cock. Now."
So imperious, but so desperate. And so flippin' hot.

I loved seeing Crane obsess about Stephen. Poor Crane, so not used to being the one who waits and wants. His vulnerability was sweet, and a beautiful contrast to his domineering ways. Seeing him with Stephen? P
Ariana
Reread April 2019

Right, this is what happens when you innocently pick up a book you love to reread, and then suddenly find yourself totally involved, devouring the whole series! I couldn't help myself.
After rereading book 1 which was to bridge the time before a book release I'd been waiting for, it felt like ... wham! I was sucked into the Magpie Lord world like nobody's business!

Again, I adored Stephen and Lucien, the dynamics between them in- and outside the bedroom, and comments like this ma
Elizabetta

RATS!! Rats, rats, rats everywhere! Mutant rats. Tidal waves of scurrying, ravaging little beasties… well, maybe not so little. There’s blood and guts and gore and lots of eeww-yuck grizzly bits. If you’re squeamish, beware!

But for the rest of us, this is another great chapter in the adventures of the debonair Earl Crane, the Magpie Lord. This second book finds Lucien Vaudrey (does the man have enough names?) still in England even though life would be so much easier back in China. He’s
LenaLena
If you liked The Magpie Lord, you’ll love A Case of Possession. But, wait! Before you read it, go download Interlude with Tattoos for free at Smashwords. That lovely little story takes place right after Crane and Stephen come back from Crane’s haunted mansion and gives you some of the motivations behind Stephen’s behavior that you’ll want to know about for this book. The only objectionable thing about the Interlude story is that the sex is fade to black. Really, Charles? Really?!?

A Case of Posse
Heather C
Have you ever finished a book and said to yourself, “Dammit, how the fuck am I supposed to review that!”  I mean, if you look at my review for The Magpie Lord, I was obviously in the same situation, as evidenced by the measly 86 words I was able to sputter out.  But I’m going to give it a try anyway…

This was just all around perfect for me.  Like an idiot, I started reading it after I was already tucked into bed…on a Sunday night!  A few hours later (yes, I’m a slow reader), I had to force myself
Lois Bujold
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who liked Vol. 1
Recommended to Lois by: following trail of breadcrumbs on Amazon
A continuation of the first volume, new adventures for our characters and some new background introduced, plus a shakedown cruise of the relationship. The plot reminded me of nothing so much as the love child of Sax Rohmer and William Goldman. Or Sax/Bill.

I begin to suspect the magic system is the author throwing spaghetti against the set pieces and seeing what sticks, not that that's exactly the main point of these books. At least the magic does work like magic, and not recycled science.

I've a
Lauraadriana
The level of awesomeness that is this series, really, truly, I can’t put into words. A Case of Possession, the second installment in the A Charm of Magpies Series by KJ Charles is just as good as the first, and THAT is one hard act to follow. In this story we go back to 19th century London, and immediately set off in another fast paced adventure with Lucien Crane, Stephen Day and Merrick, Lord’s Crane exceedingly efficient henchman, and sidekick extraordinaire.

This trio did not give me a second

• Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Another Place in Time
  • The Dark Farewell
  • Don't Let Go (Tyack & Frayne, #3)
  • Death by Silver (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey, #1)
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9

A Charm of Magpies (3 books)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
“I like to make you know your master,” Crane said. “It's only fair. The rest of the time you've got me so thoroughly enslaved, I might as well be wearing a collar with your name on it.” 24 likes
“My life changed four months ago, and I utterly failed to understand that until just recently, and therefore… I may have omitted to tell you that I love you.” He took a breath. “That’s all.” 21 likes