Start by marking “Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame” as Want to Read:
Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame

Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame (Hellblazer Collection #4)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,841 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
John Constantine's mystical journey through the heart of darkness - begun in Hellblazer: Fear and Loathing and Hellblazer: Tainted Love - continues in this third volume. An old enemy has emerged with a score to settle, and Constantine may have let his guard down for the last time.
Published August 1st 1999 by Titan Books (UK) (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer

Felix
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This volume takes John Constantine to the States, where he's trapped by Papa Midnite in a surreal American-Dream-turned-sour landscape that symbolically holds a (nightmarish) mirror up to American society and its hypocrisies. The second half of the book shows Constantine reminiscing about the past with the ghost of Brendan and reconciling with his best mate Chas.

While the storytelling was good and I enjoyed reading the book, I still felt it lacked focus in a way. Constantine is more or less drif
Jonathan Maas
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book - I am just getting into Constantine after reading Ian Rankin's Dark Entries. I believe Constantine narratives tend to have one of two directions - either 'take it to the next level, bigger than big,' or 'Constantine does a pub crawl, and it is somehow just as incredible, even though he just talks.'

This book has both - Constantine Witchwalks in the first half - and basically journeys through the underworld. The second half has him pub crawling with various old friends - and though it
Alex
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The weakest writing on Ennis' run on Hellblazer by far. It's frustrating that such a good writer is also capable of such obvious coasting, not really having many strong ideas to lead up to the final story arc, which will hopefully see an improvement. Here, Constantine hallucinates a bit whilst wandering around America (incorporating a chat with JFK), chats in a pub with friends, swears a lot and there's some guy getting shot in the groin. Ennis is trying to do satirical in some of thse stories a ...more
Quentin Wallace
I was a little disappointed in this one. Not that it was bad, but it didn't seem to reach the high standards set by previous volumes.

Constantine heads to the USA, but then he spends most of this time there in a type of existential dream world courtesy of Papa Midnite. Then we have a few odd one shot stories rounding the volume out.

This was a weird volume, even for this series. Overall it was still entertaining, but not my cup of tea exactly. Still a good read for Hellblazer fans.
Shannon Appelcline
Damnation’s Flame (72-75). Ever since I first read this in the ‘90s, I’ve thought it was Ennis’ worst arc on Hellblazer: a real misfire. The biggest problem is that it’s a four-issue long hallucination with no real stakes. Ennis tries to be clever and to use the hallucination to say biting things about the United States, but unfortunately he largely fails. The result is just dull and unfortunately also engages in some of Ennis’ sixth-grade gross-outs and extreme crudeness, which is mostly missin ...more
Jaimie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kurt
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, dark and somewhat hallucinatory read. John Constantine, the main character of the Hellblazer series, skirts hell on earth and elsewhere. Conflict with soul supposed to be in the middle of the pack as far as this long lived series goes...this is one I just happened to find at my favorite used bookstore (Reader's Corner in Raleigh, NC) Have found the Graphic Novel movement of interest as it seems a vivid mixture of two things I love....books...movies. It is no accident that the movies seem ...more
Grant Talabay
Hellblazer may be one of the all time greatest comics..... And I mean the entire run of books. This series was horribly made into the film Constantine.... but don't let that be a deterrent. The protagonist John Constantine is the ultimate anti-hero. He's a punk rock loving, foul mouth, whiskey swilling trickster and magician. Mostly centered in London, John uses his wylish Cockney charm (and magic) to get what he wants. Constantine is a lover of the Clash and most notably The Pogues (many quotes ...more
Printable Tire
Some juvenile, heavy-handed, though no less entertaining, romps through a hallucinatory america, then back to pubs and britspeak chats with friends full of recollection and remorse. This is good solid writing for the most part, a fine collection of various genres and styles. I'm really enjoying these Hellblazer books, young Ennis does character development the right way, I feel, in little gists of in-jokes and banter. I might not agree with the overwriting cynical philosophies of the story, and ...more
Marko
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know the character of Constantine from the film and the TV series, but I've never read the comics before I found this one at the local library. Unfortunately, I must say that I'm not very impressed. The first story in the volume has the protagonist drifting in hallucinations and the rest of the book is filled with sort of aimless discussions between various characters while they guzzle beer and other drinks in various situations.

Luckily, I read other reviews saying that this was the worst of t
Christian
Like with Preacher, Garth Ennis and Steve Dillion show us their satirical vision of America. There are more hits than misses, but there are some great images, mostly revolving around the images of JFK and Uncle Sam. The storyline doesn't really resolve, but it's fun.
The rest of the comic is John Constantine and his mate drinking, bullshitting, quoting the Pogues and Irish writers, and basically being sentimental. It's entertaining.
Kirsten
I wasn't that into this installment the first time I read it, but having read the story arcs leading up to it, it makes a lot more sense and is more enjoyable. I would still only rate the larger story in this volume, "Damnations Flame," maybe a 3.5/5, but the shorter stories (particularly the one told from Chas's point of view) are completely excellent.
Isaac Timm
Oct 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My friend Jimmy
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2008
Like the other Hellblazer Graphic Novels and comics I've read so far it's a mix bag, it has some entertaining elements, but also some that are very dull and muddled. Like many other "independent" comics I've read the writer seems to lose focus, setting his or her aim to shock the reader rather then tell a story, but its pushing the envelope that some times creates the best work.
Morgan
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole thing is disjointed. The American arc, while cool in concept doesn't really pay-off (and really Shade did the whole thing much better). Sadly, that is the most exciting thing that happens in the book. There is some fun character development but mostly it is just pub-crawling and drunken yammering.
Matt
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hellblazer
Probably the weakest volume, if only because the John-in-America four-parter is a little dry, as compared to everything else in Ennis' run. However, the other two stories, about John in Ireland and John's funeral, are great, vintage Ennis.
One Flew
A mixed bag really, the first story arc is good Ennis shenanigans, from there it is all rather so-so. Lacking in weight or intensity, not much to the subsequent one off stories. Feel free to take a pass on this one, it doesn't really add much to the Hellblazer series.
Derek
Issues #72 - 77.

Bit of a slow start, I must say, the dream sequence thing was a bit over the top, and really didn't do much for J.C.'s character, or the story, but Garth redeems himself at the end of issue #77 with a much required reconciliation with Chas.
Julien V
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own, comics
The damnation's flame story arc was great, but the rest of it was confusing and boring. Hard to keep the quality up all the time! It's like they need once in a while to do a boring pub story with a ghost. Maybe it's filled with inside jokes, who knows?
Metagion
We find out what happens when John Constantine goes "witchwalking" and the consequences...Caz, his 'best mate', tells a story...Rated R.
Acton Northrop
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
My least favourite Ennis HELLBLAZER -- seems like a rehearsal for PREACHER's twisted trek across America. Still, the team of Ennis and Dillon makes it worth reading.
AJW
Weird story. Uses the crook Constantine to give a crooked British look at the USA crooked history. I like weird, so I enjoyed it. There are better Hellblazer collections though.
Katherine Bolt
  • Hellblazer: Rare Cuts
  • Hellblazer: The Red Right Hand
  • Hellblazer: The Laughing Magician
  • Hellblazer: Hooked
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

Hellblazer Collection (5 books)
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits